Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Multi-Tasking

Can't Multitask, So Stop Trying
Can't Multitask (provides a few practical activities to prove the point)

I have been thinking about how the skills that one tries to develop through a buddhist practice are actually very different than the direction our modern world/society is taking. In today's world, depending on your culture and job, we are almost expected to multi-task. Yet the more we understand ourselves, multi-tasking seems to be a myth: a myth that costs more than we realize.

So I sit in meditation and I attempt to maintain my focus on my breath, but my focus is constantly shifted to other objects. I must then take the time and energy to move the focus back to my breath. This shifting of focus is the very process I am being "asked" to perform living in society. I like what the person in the second link says about automatic actions. If we can make concentration (how long we can maintain focus) an automatic task, then this frees up focus to be used in a more efficient manner (no longer having to switch back and forth).

Oh the potential :)

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    I once caught both halves of a fast-moving Golden flakey-layers biscuit simultaneously. My bro-in-law had thrown it across the table at me and it split in half on the way.

There was a moment of reverence before the second biscuit came.

But as for real multitasking--I agree with you that it's sort of a myth. I've thought, for example, that it would be good to engage in concerted "de-multitasking," for example start a habit of having only one browser tab open at a time, etc. I'm absolutely terrible with the topic-surfing thing.

I blame the invention of remote-controls.
  • One Tab?!?! thats insanity :screwy: :p

Maybe I should try that.
    Silekarasti
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    tmottes said:

One Tab?!?! thats insanity :screwy: :p

Maybe I should try that.

It's hard - I notice that my startup procedure always involves opening two or three tabs (sometimes more!) right away - email, BBC news, and a few choice forums ;)

Last weekend I mostly turned off the electronics and read a book - it was amazingly peaceful. Good to have a break, for sure, and monotask a bit.

• My husband goes mad at me about tabs :lol:

I always have like 30 open! All the computers I run really slowly because I never close stuff.

He showed me how much memory I was using just with all the tabs once. I still didn't close them, but it was interesting. :)
    Sile
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I have exactly 10 open right now, lol!! Where will it end!
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Crap, I have 10 open 2, and then 2 other windows and a game in the background, lol. Maybe tomorrow I'll try the one-tab thing and see how it goes. I don't really multitask with tabs though, when I'm here, I'm here, and when I'm done here, I switch tabs to something else. I go back and forth because I'm too lazy to type the address or go to bookmarks for the same couple of sites, it's easier just to keep them all open!

I agree with the idea of multitasking, and it's such a sense of relief when you stop trying to do it and just keep at the task at hand regardless of what it might be. Our brains are so trained by school and work that we have to be thinking about the next task before we complete the current one, and I don't think it's healthy at all. We praise "good" multitaskers, but they are also the most stressed out and unhappy people I know. And multitasking while driving, that is THE worst. Driving itself is the king of multitasking, for everything you have to do and watch for and pay attention to, why on earth would you add other things to it? My almost 16 year old has his learners permit, and any time we go driving he fails to understand how anyone can attempt to even change a radio station while driving, lol. It's amazing how much our brains go on autopilot for some things, and it's a bit creepy in a way. There have been times in the past I've been driving and lost in thought, and when I finally "come to" I've driven like 8 miles past the turn I wanted to take. Doh. It makes me wonder what else I might have missed that could have been important (cars pulling out, deer in the road) so I can say that driving is one activity I am pretty much 100% aware and mindful of what I am doing. I don't talk on the phone, mess with the GPS, the radio, the ipod, I don't mess with any of that.