Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Damaged During Shipping

No I'm not typing about me! :lol: I could be though ;)

I ordered a bicycle motor kit last Monday and it arrived yesterday at I'm not sure what time as I got back from work at 10pm.

I opened up and the connector to the spark plug was broken due to poor packaging and obviously happened during shipping, the end of the spark plug was also bent.

I looked on the website about damages during shipping returns. They need to be notified within 48 hours as it is time sensitive with the carrier they use.

So I called and no answer, for any of the menu options that I could be transferred to, such as technical support,etc. etc.

How convenient to get something on a Friday, figure out its damaged, and not have the ability to contact the company to report it so it can get taken care of.

Anyways so I called back on that number again and heard the first menu option come up, "Press 1 to place an order"

I figured, why not, I'll see if anyone answers.

Someone did!

I started to say how I had just received my kit yesterday and a couple of parts were damaged during shipping.

Very quickly I heard a distinct noise.

The man hung up on me.

I tried calling back and after some on hold music a recording said "That party isn't available at this time".

Wonderful business practices 'eh?!

At least I can work with what I have as there is another spark plug in my kit and also I am sure there is an easy fix to the piece that got damaged.

I went this route because of how economical it is to ride a motorized bicycle.

They get a minimum of 150 miles per gallon! and they can go up to 40 miles per hour.

Now where I am currently, in the sunny state of Florida, it is the perfect place to own one of these as one can pretty much ride around all year no problem.
Also everywhere I need to go is within bicycle distance so this will allow me to get around that much faster and I'll be able to save up money for a car longer.

My goal is to have a car and a bicycle rack on said car for this bicycle that I will be putting together. That way when I travel I'll be able to park the car somewhere and then cruise around whereever I want to go, on the bike.

I am not mechanically inclined so I could take the kit and a bicycle to a mechanic and have them do it all for me.

What I will likely end up doing is learning how to do it all myself as it is a very good learning experience and if I am to be riding and maintaining such a contraption then I am going to eventually need to know how it all works.

Comments

• Take photographs of the broken equipment, and possibly the packaging. Call the customer service line back (maybe from a different phone, in case they have caller ID), and pretend you're a customer at first, and ask the service person his name. Then you'll be able to tell the company that you spoke to (name) the day after you received the broken merch. Note the time of the conversation.

Can you package up the items and ship them back today? Some PO's are open saturdays. What company was this? This is a company I need to avoid if I get a motorized bike.
    zombiegirl
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Various books by bike travelers list Florida as having the least friendly roads to share with cars.
    Any truth to that?
  • Dakini said:

Take photographs of the broken equipment, and possibly the packaging. Call the customer service line back (maybe from a different phone, in case they have caller ID), and pretend you're a customer at first, and ask the service person his name. Then you'll be able to tell the company that you spoke to (name) the day after you received the broken merch. Note the time of the conversation.

Can you package up the items and ship them back today? Some PO's are open saturdays. What company was this? This is a company I need to avoid if I get a motorized bike.

The company is BikeMotorKit .com

If we wanted to place blame here, the company did not package the merchandise the best they could, then UPS shipped it. UPS obviously didn't handle the package with gentle hands.

If UPS had, then there would be no problem.

If the company had packed it nicer, there would be no problem.

Sounds like a dill pickle to me, and not a kosher one at that!

Well to ship the package back, I need to communicate that I'm doing so to the shipper first which is BikeMotorKit.

I did try calling back and thought to use my mothers cell phone which she still uses her old Michigan phone number, so the area code would have been different as well. The company is based in Kalamazoo, MI in fact.

The kits are most likely produced in China or somewhere outside US borders.

My mother is not around though right now so the only phone I had available was the number they know to avoid.

It says on their website that they need to be notified within 48 hours to be able to make right the damaged equipment.

Due to the causes we have here, it looks like I will not be able to contact them within a 48 hour time period and will not get those things replaced by them.

My mother said, "Just ship it back and get a full refund."

No thank you. If I ship it back that might be all that happens. They never gave me any confirmation that if I ship it back I will get my money.

The transaction took place, I paid, they shipped the product.

Poor packaging by the company and handling by UPS led to some minor damage.

It is not worth the hassle to try and deal with either of the two companies as I have gotten what I paid for essentially.

Will I ever buy a kit from them again?

Hell no.
  • how said:

Various books by bike travelers list Florida as having the least friendly roads to share with cars.
    Any truth to that?

I'd say that yes that is true.

FL is the biggest melting pot of drivers. You have people of ALL ages driving, the most dangerous being the vast amount of elderly people still behind the wheel.

Not only that, most everyone that lives in FL, is not from FL. They come from all over the nation or world to live there. That being typed, could have people used to driving on the other side of the road learning how to drive here, all kinds of stuff like that.

I have heard as well that this is the easiest state to get ones Drivers License in.

A guy I know whom I can't imagine behind the wheel of a car, got his license down here, and now lives back in Michigan again.

If he can get his license here then who knows who else is on the road :lol:

Some cities are more bike friendly than others though. There isn't really a "city" where I currently live and it isn't really all that bike friendly but these motorized bikes zoom around all the time and a regular bicycle is how I mainly get around now. I have had no problems.
  • I feel the same in a different situation. I bought new slippers and on the second day the soul tore away from the shoe. I am going to try to take them back to jcpenney. I am hoping they will be good to me. They are awesome slippers aside from tearing, I loved them, warm and a good soul or tread. Muk-luks. I looked to see if there were more people like me but I think I just got a bad pair I didn't find anyone else with a broken shoe.

Good luck with your bike parts. I would write a letter to the company, but some of the advices here are good I think.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Hey Jeffrey
    If the return doesn't go well, I've been in monasterys where you'd think "Shoe Goo" should have it's own shrine.
  • Thanks for the suggestion @how
  • Why is this posted here?
    OneLifeForm
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Why not? It's under the general banter category.
  • General Banshee is a place to share!
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Just as an aside, those kind of kits are not legal here in the state of Australia where I live, although you can easily purchase them and we do have many people riding motorised bikes. Push cycles do not need to be registered like motorised vehicles do and there is no capacity to register a motorised push bike therefore they can' t be ridden legally( registration includes a compulsory third party bodily insurance to protect other road users in case of injury caused by the driver so without registration you do not have this insurance )
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Jeffrey said:

I bought new slippers and on the second day the soul tore away from the shoe.

Must be Buddhist slippers. For meditating on "no-self".
    ;)

JeffreyOneLifeForm
  • andyrobyn said:

Just as an aside, those kind of kits are not legal here in the state of Australia where I live, although you can easily purchase them and we do have many people riding motorised bikes. Push cycles do not need to be registered like motorised vehicles do and there is no capacity to register a motorised push bike therefore they can' t be ridden legally( registration includes a compulsory third party bodily insurance to protect other road users in case of injury caused by the driver so without registration you do not have this insurance )

There is license, insurance, or registration here for such bicycles either.

One can still ride it as a bicycle without using the motor, so in some places it is allowed where ever a bicycle can go.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Yeaaaah UPS... I recently got an envelop folded nicely right along the big DO NOT FOLD lettering. It was a certification for my job and it's a good thing I don't have an office to display that sort of info or I might have been quite ticked off.

To the OP: I would follow Dakini's suggestion and take photos and still try to contact them after the weekend to see if it gets you anywhere. If not, oh well, but I wouldn't give up hope. Maybe you could even take a photo that also has your phone displaying the date/time in it to show just when you took the image. Or email them the images asap. There are things you can try to do to give you that little extra proof that you tried to contact them within the correct time frame.

@Jeffrey Having worked in retail for many years (not JCPenny, but for their biggest competitor, I would say), I feel pretty confident in telling you that you won't have a problem so long as you still have the receipt.
  • @Dakini

Well here it is folks.

I'd like to say for the record, I jumped to conclusions about the company that I got the motor kit from, they did end up contacting me back and saying that they could ship me those parts if I wanted.

By that time I was on the way to the shop to have it put together on the bicycle (in the pic) I bought from said shop.

We took it on the maiden voyage yesterday!

It is still in the "break in" period, will be for a while probably as it will take a decent bit of time for me to use the full gallon of gas through this contraption.

It is a fun ride though and I am glad that I purchased it.

The company ended up doing right by me though so please disregard what I said prior :lol: I'm not neurotic I swear ;)
    FullCircle
  • It looks cool. My only concern would be the lack of stopping power of that friction brake. It would be good to have a disc brake on the front wheel.
  • robot said:

It looks cool. My only concern would be the lack of stopping power of that friction brake. It would be good to have a disc brake on the front wheel.

Yeah, I will have to look into that.

Though at the speeds I will be traveling stopping won't be that big of an issue.

I don't think I want to take it up to full speed, that seems a bit too fast for a bicycle.

I've been told the standard rubber brakes melt like butter with these motored bikes. They are crap on a regular bike too.

From what I know, and it isn't much, disc brakes can be quite costly. There is a nice bike store near me that I will have to venture into.

Thanks for your comment :)