Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Fourth Precept

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
So do I break the fourth precept and carry on the lie of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy to my kids (they are both too young to have had to deal with this yet)? I am buddhist and she is an athiest so we don't celebrate any of the christian holidays (catch up for a meal with my family most Christmas days but not all these days).

Both my wife and I aren't comfortable doing it but feel social pressure to do so.

Any thoughts / comments welcome.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Let kids be kids.
    Zero
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited December 2012
    vinlyn said:

Let kids be kids.

I like to think I do

:scratch:

Perhaps I should explain that I still intend giving my kids chocolate at Easter and presents at Xmas, I just don't know that I am going to say they're from a bunny and a fat man in a suit!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Tell her the story of Ho Ho Ho Tei.....
    Bunks
  • I would say don't lie to them.. I remember how I doubted that "monsters" weren't real because my parents told me about the Easter Bunny, Santa and God and what have you. If those invisible, secret critters were real, then how could anyone be sure that evil ghosts and the like weren't? They also told me, that the Tooth Fairy wasn't real - and I wondered how that could be, since the others were real. I also wondered why my parents told me that they didn't believe in Santa, but told me he was real - seemed illogical.
    When I finally realized it was all a hoax, I felt deceived for no good reason.

Imho children are best off with the truth. They must be taught to be critical, logical thinkers and not swayed by fairy tales
    BunksInc88
    I want to create an environment with my kids that is open and honest. I want them to feel they can talk to me about anything. Starting things off with a lie about this stuff doesn't feel right to me.....
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Bunks said:

So do I break the fourth precept and carry on the lie of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy to my kids (they are both too young to have had to deal with this yet)? I am buddhist and she is an athiest so we don't celebrate any of the christian holidays (catch up for a meal with my family most Christmas days but not all these days).

Both my wife and I aren't comfortable doing it but feel social pressure to do so.

They are not real why pretend they are there's always a great disappointment when you discover you've been lied to for so many years about it.
  • I think the problem partly lies in what YOUR kids say to the kids whose parents want them to believe in Santa etc...
    BhikkhuJayasaraRebeccaS
  • federica said:

Tell her the story of Ho Ho Ho Tei.....

How how how do you mean?
    Zero
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    In the grand scheme of actions you will perform in your life.. letting your children believe in santa claus for 12 years will not send you to the hell realms friend :). Is it a good or a bad thing for children to believe in fairy tales as they grow up? the verdict is out on that one, but we should worry more about how we will treat the person who will cut us off on the road today going to work, then whether your child is raised with Santa Claus.

also we should not feel that because we are "buddhists" we have to "buddhaize" every holiday or western tradition. Let it be :)
    vinlyn
  • Bunks said:

So do I break the fourth precept and carry on the lie of Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy to my kids (they are both too young to have had to deal with this yet)?

It's up to you and your wife - they are your kids and you have the right to bring them up how you choose and in line with your lifestyle - if it works out well they may remain compatible with you throughout your lives.

I'm not sure it is a 'lie' as such - it seems more like not challenging a certain view of reality that we all shared at one point in our life - that innocence is ignorance sure but it's limited to that particular stage of life and as such I think it should be nurtured - I can't see a benefit in shattering the illusion as it will cease of its own accord soon enough.

There was a time when my friend's little brother would be placed in a large(ish) cardboard box (with all kinds of gadgets drawn and collaged inside), lifted in the air a little and swirled around a while with the lid shut ... to him it was just the 'time machine' doing its thing... he would emerge bright eyed ready to explore the alternative universe where everyone looked the same but there were differences to spot... the green cup on the table was now a red one - channel 2 on the tv was now channel 4 - everyone's names were pronounced backwards... run, laugh, explore!

He personally thanked me years later saying that at the time he believed that it was an actual time machine and that he absolutely loved every moment of it.

Sometimes, some illusions are right in their time - shattering them only brings forward a new illusion before its time.
    vinlynpommesetorangesJeffrey
  • Nice post Zero...I am not sure I agree with all of it...but it has made me think.
    Zero
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    If you're not comfortable with it, then don't do it. Raise your children how you want, not how everyone else wants. One alternative is to come up with your own Christmas traditions that involve gift giving if you'd like, and simply explain that there's a tradition of saying to kids these gifts come from Santa Claus as a way of making it more fun, but also explain that for you it's more important to always be truthful with them. Just one suggestion, anyway.

As for myself, I don't have any kids, but my mom did the whole Santa Claus thing. We lived in an apartment building where she also worked at the front desk, and sometimes she'd leave a present at our door, knock, and then run away. And on the big day, she'd wait until I fell asleep to hurriedly bring in the presents. Sometimes she'd have someone dress up as Santa, too. I figured it out pretty quickly, though, and would often just pretend to be sleeping, but didn't say anything because she went to so much trouble and I didn't want to disappoint her.

What I didn't know was that doing all of this was such a big pain in the ass, and she was just as happy to be able to give me all the gifts without all the sneaking around and ho-ho-hoing. I'm sure it was fun at first, but it gets kind of old, I guess. :p
    There's nothing wrong with either approach.

But, I think you should recognize that with some childhood fables, there are moral stories connected to them. Not all. I don't know any moral story connected to the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. But there is a moral story connected to Santa Claus...even though he's fiction. There's also a social aspect to it...dependent on the culture, of course. But being the odd one out, who doesn't believe in Santa Claus while in kindergarten may cause some identity problems. And I think that in terms of child development, there's actually a function where a child begins to differentiate between fact and fiction, as opposed to an adult just telling them something is true or false.

Are you going to teach a child only fact? What about fiction books? Movies? Games? Childhood heroes? Are you going to teach your child only the factual aspects of Buddhism...a religion whose traditions are told through stories? And, as we've explored on this forum, quite a few Buddhist concepts are not proven to be factual...yet...karma, rebirth, etc.

Part of this fiction of childhood is also very much about socialization. As an educator for 33 years, I cannot say that the children I knew who grew up with "just the facts, ma'am" were necessarily the most well-adjusted teenagers. And while I can't make a blanket statement about it, a lot of them that were brought up that way weren't very much fun. Often overly geeky. A little bit shunned. Perhaps because all the way up through school they were always on a different socialization track...slightly set apart.

Just a few thoughts.

RebeccaSZeroBunkspommesetoranges
  • Bunks said:

I would say, dont give in to the way of society. There are plenty of things you can do besides santa, easter bunny, etc....
    Be creative without telling lies. Maybe you can do some kind of "Buddha-mas" where you decorate a fake bonsai tree, make little buddha cookies, and get a book to read to the kids...theres lots of "buddhism for kids" books out there. Maybe get some mandala coloring books or something to that effect.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I have never felt as if I am lying to my children about Santa or tooth fairy or any of those. My oldest is the most logical thinking person I've ever known (because he is very incapable of thinking any other way) and he figured out the santa (and the rest) thing himself, and still enjoys going along with it for the sake of his younger brother. None of them has been harmed or damaged or felt lied to when they realized Santa wasn't real in the sense the story says he is. They understood perfectly the nature and fun behind it, and they still enjoy participating. I still get gifts labeled from Santa from my mom, just for tradition and fun, and I guarantee you I don't live in a fairy land without logical thinking. It totally depends on the kids, the parents, and how it's presented. If you do it when you feel it's a lie, and then later decide you have to tell the kids the truth, they are more likely to feel betrayed because you did something you didn't believe in.

If you feel you are lying, then that is a problem and perhaps you shouldn't do it. You can give gifts and enjoy them without participating in Santa, However, do other parents a favor when your kids do ask about Santa, and don't explain it as a lie and fairy tale or they are going to upset their friends at daycare/preschool/school unnecessarily. Just like you may not light a Mennorah, Santa is a tradition you do not participate in because it is not part of your belief system. If you are participating in other areas of Christmas without being Christians, that is easy enough to explain as Yule/Solstice traditions, because most of them stem from those traditions anyhow.

Your kids are still young. The societal pressure to do what everyone else does only gets bigger, and worse, as they get older. If you give into that now, what are you going to do when the issues get bigger and more difficult? Stick to what you believe and what you feel when you raise your kids. They will be stronger people for having parents who stick to their conventions and walk the walk, no matter what it is.
    Bunks
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2012
    vinlyn said:

But, I think you should recognize that with some childhood fables, there are moral stories connected to them. Not all. I don't know any moral story connected to the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. But there is a moral story connected to Santa Claus...even though he's fiction. There's also a social aspect to it...dependent on the culture, of course. But being the odd one out, who doesn't believe in Santa Claus while in kindergarten may cause some identity problems. And I think that in terms of child development, there's actually a function where a child begins to differentiate between fact and fiction, as opposed to an adult just telling them something is true or false.

I think you make some good points. I'd just like to mention that I think one can teach children moral lessons without resorting to fables, like telling them that some magical man in a red suit with give them present if they behave themselves, for example. In addition, a child can equally be the 'odd one out' for believing in something all the other kids in their class already know is made up. Either way, there's always that danger being the odd one out, and it's difficult to know what's the best path to take since the future is uncertain.

I think if people want to do the whole Santa Claus things, that's cool. And if they don't, that's cool, too.
    vinlyn said:

Are you going to teach a child only fact? What about fiction books? Movies? Games? Childhood heroes? Are you going to teach your child only the factual aspects of Buddhism...a religion whose traditions are told through stories? And, as we've explored on this forum, quite a few Buddhist concepts are not proven to be factual...yet...karma, rebirth, etc.

Part of this fiction of childhood is also very much about socialization. As an educator for 33 years, I cannot say that the children I knew who grew up with "just the facts, ma'am" were necessarily the most well-adjusted teenagers. And while I can't make a blanket statement about it, a lot of them that were brought up that way weren't very much fun. Often overly geeky. A little bit shunned. Perhaps because all the way up through school they were always on a different socialization track...slightly set apart.

I don't think it's so much about only teaching facts as it is about making distinctions. When I was a kid, for example, I was taught the difference between fiction and non-fiction; and even though I knew what fiction meant, it don't stop my imagination from taking on a life of its own when I read books like the Hobbit, or stop me from believing in things that others considered fictitious (e.g., reading spiritual literature, myths, etc.). I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that life is full of wonder and mystery, and I don't think that'd change for someone who wasn't brought up believing in Santa Claus.
  • I guess the question is how much do you want to continue with this delusion?
    We never took the "naughty or nice" list thing to heart with Santa. It's always just been a basic part of our morning with the stockings and a single gift to each kid from Santa. Their logical sense takes over when they get a bit older and they figure out it's impossible, and that the parents are responsible.
    It is just a way to celebrate a season, just like the Easter Bunny is a celebration of the coming of spring (though for us it's usually still winter, lol). We never attached any meaning or lesson behind any of the things. Just fun tradition for both the kids and us. Santa never labels presents at our house. He does riddles or treasure hunts to make the kids find their presents or figure out which belongs to who. 2 years ago my teenagers present was up in a tree in our yard, they had to follow looong pieces of yard through the house and yards (my grandmas hard too) to find their present. They enjoy those kinds of things, lol. We read "the night before Christmas" and "the Grinch" and that's as much as we take it. We don't write letters or emails to Santa or attach Santa gifts as some random reward for yearlong behavior. Nor do we use it as leverage to get them to behave.
    Also, Santa has some attachment to our family lore, as my great great grandfather was a reindeer herder in Lappland, and the story goes that he provided Santa's reindeer.
    Thanks everyone. A lot of really intelligent responses......I'll show my wife as well and we'll discuss it.

I grew up with two older brothers and parents that didn't lie to me (as far as I am aware anyway). I don't remember believing in any of this stuff but I also don't remember being told it wasn't true. One of my brothers would have told me at a very young age though I'm sure (they weren't the sort to spare my feelings!) Waking up and getting presents from my parents on Xmas Day was still really exciting! My wife is in the same boat i.e. she can't remember believing in or getting presents from Santa. I guess that's why we are struggling with this...

I really don't like the "naughty or nice" thing attached to Xmas either. I think it's horrible! A girl I know gave her daughter a potato for Xmas (apparently this is what Santa gives a kid who has been naughty) and the kid went completely mental......the mum learned a valuable lesson and didn't attach any kind of reward system to Xmas from then on.
  • I grew up with one side firm Christians, and the other firm Jewish, they both have their fair share of silly tales, all of which my parents did tell me to be true when I was very young. It didn't take long for me to figure out they were just cute stories for the children and I wasn't upset with my parents for telling me otherwise. There will always be one kid who wasn't told they were true and tells the other kids that they're false. It's a topic of much debate but I don't think it's harmful. We all figured it out on our own quickly enough.
    I think all parents, some time or another, lie to children even if they are not big lies. Sometimes kids ask questions you just do not know how to answer, so you say "I don't know" or you tell them "That's not something you need to know about now." out of your own fear of knowing how to talk to them. Or when a small child experiences death for the first time and says "mommy are you going to die!?" with a look of terror on their face, your first response is usually "oh no honey!" not "well, dear, we all die and we could die at any second of the day." As they get older, of course you address the issue differently. I'm not a fan of lying to kids because topics are difficult to handle. But sometimes, you omit the truth for their sake at one particular moment.
    I just think whatever one chooses, they should have the integrity to be consistent.

We had a teacher at one time who was very anti-Christmas toward anyone who said "Merry Christmas", or gave her a Christmas card, or gave her a gift. People got very tired of it, so one Christmas came around and there was a behind-the-scenes movement not to wish her a Merry Christmas , not to send her a card, and not to invite her to the Christmas party (which was in another teacher's home). So after the holidays, she ripped into people about being left out.

We had another teacher who ranted and raved against Christmas...but was more than happy to accept gifts from other staff members of students.

Is you in, or is you out?
    Cole_
  • I'd also have to say it's not a matter of "breaking the fourth precept" when you play the Santa Claus game, because it is a game. It's a game of make believe we play with children until they're old enough to start separating fantasy and reality. If it bothers you and your wife, then don't play the game. Far as I can tell, it doesn't make any difference one way or the other. The children who believe, when they get maybe 8 years old or so, discover that adults are capable of saying things that aren't true so maybe they should think about what they're told. Not a bad lesson to learn, but they'll learn it eventually, anyway.

vinlyn
  • Cinorjer said:

The children who believe, when they get maybe 8 years old or so, discover that adults are capable of saying things that aren't true so maybe they should think about what they're told. Not a bad lesson to learn, but they'll learn it eventually, anyway.

I think you have a good point here, although I don't like the concept of children learning that adults can lie by experiencing their parents doing it to them.
    Speaking from my own memories, I recall being perfectly capable of lying as soon as I had a language to lie with - children often lie in very unconvincing ways :)

Personally I would prefer to point out lies to my children, explaining them how to discern truth from fantasy and fact from false, rather than letting them figure it out randomly as they grow. My ideology is, that by teaching them all their life, their intellect is challenged as early as possible and thus grows faster..
    I don't have children by the way :D
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I remember being disappointed but not surprised when I found out Santa didn't exist. I couldn't see how a fat man could get down a chimney... :p
  • I couldn't see how a fat man could get down a chimney... :p

On balance that is the least if his logistical nightmares!! :D
    Zero said:

I couldn't see how a fat man could get down a chimney... :p

I thought maybe he sub-contracted most of the deliveries....

:D
    ZeroCole_
  • Zero said:

He does...next you will be telling me there are no elves.
    edited December 2012
    I think as adults we are overly capable of over-analyzing a normal part of childhood for most American kids. Parents have to know their kids and know how they will react to such things. But overall, kids handle it just fine. I don't know a single child who was completely distraught over finding Santa was their parents to the point that 20 years later they are wondering why their parents lied to them as a child. Nor do I think a child learns such lessons as "My parents lied to me so I better not lie, too." Kids just do not attach as much meaning to the entire thing (generally) as we do as adults.

My teenager is a good example because he is a rule follower to the T. He does not tolerate rule breaking, lying, or anything else he considers immoral because of his autism. If he catches me even in a lie that was unintentional because I stated something wrongly, he will call me on it immediately and be highly offended over it. He is not offended over Santa, nor does he feel lied to. I talked to him about it the other day. He shrugged and said "It's something fun for little kids to get them excited about Christmas. It has a good story, it has good feelings, and it's fun. I still enjoy it, even though I know it's not true. But I also know the spirit of Santa lives in kids parents and that's what makes it not a lie." I think he explains it better than I could, lol. Which is why I said before if the parents participate while they believe it to be a lie, that is far more harmful that parents who participate out the the spirit of it and not out of deceit.

Cole_
  • Don't teach them to sit on a strange guys lap at the mall.
    DairyLama
    edited December 2012
    Citta said:

Zero said:

He does...next you will be telling me there are no elves.
    The rest of the year they work in the NHS, the National 'Elf Service.... :p
  • karasti said:

I think as adults we are overly capable of over-analyzing a normal part of childhood for most American kids. Parents have to know their kids and know how they will react to such things. But overall, kids handle it just fine. I don't know a single child who was completely distraught over finding Santa was their parents to the point that 20 years later they are wondering why their parents lied to them as a child. Nor do I think a child learns such lessons as "My parents lied to me so I better not lie, too." Kids just do not attach as much meaning to the entire thing (generally) as we do as adults.

I do. I'm not American, but I must count for something anyway ;)
    Fyi, we have decided to run with the Santa myth for our kids.

I am not going to make a big deal about it eg. a mate told me yesterday he tells his 4 year old son that Santa's elves are watching him to ensure he behaves which is kinda weird in my book.

Thanks for all your feedback on this and Merry Xmas.
  • And to you and yours Bunks.
    Enjoy the time with your family. Your kids might enjoy the norad santa tracker, if nothing else it helps with world geography!
    http://www.noradsanta.org/
    Bunks