Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Silly little sorrows

Lately, I've been realizing how even silly things could be a source of great pain. In my case, it is the sorrow of not going for a master's and Phd right after my bachelor's. I realize that I have a long way to go on the buddhist path - instead of worrying about progress in meditation and morality, I am worrying about this. It sucks, really.

Any advice?

Comments

• Dukkha is free floating. It finds whatever fuel is at hand. There is no end to it.
    There can be however an end to the self sense that gives rise to Dukkha.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Music, I think you have to differentiate between a reasonable reviewing of your life decisions, and being obsessed with past decisions. One is constructive, the other destructive.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    My method of addressing worry is to just return my attention to the experience of the moment. Worry is a mental condition that is front and foremost in the ego's bag of tricks. It effectively reduces all of existence to just the space within the ego's sandbox.

Applying bare attention to your immediate sense gate input, will break the sandbox illusion. Eventually you will find that all arising worry can become a triggering reminder to just return to this moment to see what's real..

The same practise applies to tension.
    RodrigoJeffrey
  • music said:

Lately, I've been realizing how even silly things could be a source of great pain. In my case, it is the sorrow of not going for a master's and Phd right after my bachelor's. I realize that I have a long way to go on the buddhist path - instead of worrying about progress in meditation and morality, I am worrying about this. It sucks, really.

Any advice?

If those things cause you great pain and sorrow, they probably are not small.
  • music said:

Any advice?

I used to do this to myself. ^^ But over time, I realized that the path I would have chosen had I done on to a professional degree, while intellectually satisfying at the time, wouldn't have allowed the evolution I've gone through, and in the end, wouldn't have lined up with my core values. I would have abandoned it eventually, to forge a new career path more in line with service to sentient beings.

So don't beat yourself up about it. Forge ahead with the choices you've made.

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    music said:

Any advice?

Ah, but you are AWARE of this sorrow.
    Until we achieve enlightenment, we WILL be like this. Unenlightened, that is.
    We don't become enlightened by decision, but by slow unfolding. It opens as naturally as a flower does (although FAR more slowly!), so don't sweat it. You won't become enlightened by pretending you aren't unenlightened, by pretending you don't worry about these silly things.
    All those who worry about silly things, raise your hand .... me!
    Bunkspommesetoranges
  • " slow unfolding " is one model...Other models are available.
  • Thanks, everyone. I just got info. that my PG is recognized by the board and that I am eligible to do my Phd in India. It is great news for me, but I see myself becoming a victim of yet another desire: the desire to see Dr. in front of my name. But neither can I give up the opportunity to do Phd. Boy, is it exhausting!