Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Well known Theravada teachers

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited January 2013 in Buddhism Basics
I'm familiar with names of modern teachers and masters Mahayana Buddhism such as: Shunryu Suzuki, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, and Seung Sahn and classic masters like Nichiren and Honen Shonin but I don't know many of the popular figures of Theravada Buddhism. What are some names that come up under the category of well known classic and modern Theravada teachers ? To start off I'm familiar with the names of Jack Kornfield, Mahasi Sayadaw, Munindra Ji, and Ajahn Chah.

Comments

• Ajahn Munindo, Dhiravamsa, Ajahn Sucitto, Ajahn Anando, Webu Sayadaw.
    ThailandTomPremaSagar
  • That is more than enough to go on :P Thanks Jason and Mettanando, I have been thinking recently about what school of Buddhism reaches out to me the most. I have come to realise that I can take something from them all but the Theravada tradition, if taught well correlates with me mostly on the whole. Now I have a whole bunch of names to go and wiki and so forth, thanks again :)
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    a very good list so far with some names I've never even heard of , but how can we forget Ajahn brahm :P, also Ajahn Sujato who is less well known and more along the lines of a scholar like Bhikkhu Bodhi

btw I never promote my youtube channel on here however I have put together playlists of all the hundreds of dhamma videos I've watched on youtube from most of the listed teachers who have stuff on the net.

I have playlists for Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Sujato, Bhante G, Ven K Sri Dhammananda and more. It is often hard to find just one place for these videos so I figured I'd create one. Just scroll down to find the playlists.

http://www.youtube.com/user/StudentofthePath?feature=mhee
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Ajahn Brahm is a favourite of mine, even though I'm more of a Zen guy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddhistSocietyWA
  • I wish there were more books in the bookstore by those guys. I've read Mindfulness Plain and Simple and A Path with Heart. I like books versus youtube videos because I can read a little each day and finish the book, but it's hard to listen to a talk slowly like that.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Also, Gil Fronsdal.