Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Theravada Beginner - Recommended Books?

I am drawn to the Theravada path of Buddhism and plan on visiting some practitioners soon as and when time allows but can anybody recommend a good couple of books for a starting point.

When I began looking into Buddhism I just walked into my nearest Buddhist shop and asked for some books, it was a New Kadampa Tradition one and I left with a couple of books and an invitation to their classes. I didn't get a good vibe though, I know I shouldn't be judgmental but I have to be comfortable somewhere to put my trust in someone.

There are quite a few books listed by a Theravda website but I don't want to make te mistake of investing n a book and then finding it either a glorified pamphlet or so in depth it will put me off. I'm possibly looking for something that gives brief explanations of the teachings of Buddha and I can then explore them more in depth again and then again deeper step by step, book by book.

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    What do you mean by a "glorified pamphlet," @FairyFeller?

I'm sort of in the same boat at the moment, looking for good books on Theravada Buddhism. I've read "A Still Forest Pool," which is a collection of Ajahn Chah's talks compiled by Jack Kornfield. I'd recommend it.
  • chelachela Veteran
    I found a monastery that sends out free books. I requested some, and received a BOX FULL of books-- all free. The shipping was almost $6, and I didn't pay one cent. I am going to send in a donation, though, but I was blown away when I received the box yesterday! This is Theravadan, and most of the books are by Thanissaro Bikkhu. They are really lovely books. Here is the contact information-- you just mail in a letter requesting any available Dharma books and give them your name and address. http://www.watmetta.org/contact/contact.htm (P.S. I think this is just for U.S. mailing.)
    JeffreyInvincible_summerSillyPutty
  • @FairyFeller

Your profile says you're in England. Have you heard of Amaravati Buddhist Monastery or Chithurst Buddhist Monastery? According to their websites, Amaravati is located in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire while Chithurst is located in Chithurst, Hampshire. They are both Theravadan monasteries in the tradition of Ajahn Chah. So maybe you could try reading some books by Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho (first abbot of Amaravati monastery), Ajahn Amaro (current abbot of Amaravati monastery) or Ajahn Sucitto (current abbot of Chithurst monastery). If their teachings resonate well with you then at least you could have some opportunity to visit Amaravati or Chithurst and meet the sangha there. Btw, Ajahn Sumedho is an American while Ajahn Amaro and Ajahn Sucitto are British. It seems most of the resident monks at these monasteries are Westerners.

You can find their audio files and e-books at the monasteries' sites:
    amaravati.org/home
    cittaviveka.org/

From what I can gather, it appears they also have smaller branch monasteries in Belsay,
    Northumberland (Harnham Buddhist Monastery) and in Honiton, Devon (Hartridge Buddhist Monastery)

Their websites:
    ratanagiri.org.uk/home/
    hartridgemonastery.org/
    SabreInvincible_summer
  • @FairyFeller
    Have you not checked the responses in your other thread on this same subject? I sent 30 mins worth of videos showing practically the whole pali cannon....
    :scratch:
  • SabreSabre Veteran

@FairyFeller

Your profile says you're in England. Have you heard of Amaravati Buddhist Monastery or Chithurst Buddhist Monastery? According to their websites, Amaravati is located in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire while Chithurst is located in Chithurst, Hampshire. They are both Theravadan monasteries in the tradition of Ajahn Chah. So maybe you could try reading some books by Ajahn Chah, Ajahn Sumedho (first abbot of Amaravati monastery), Ajahn Amaro (current abbot of Amaravati monastery) or Ajahn Sucitto (current abbot of Chithurst monastery). If their teachings resonate well with you then at least you could have some opportunity to visit Amaravati or Chithurst and meet the sangha there. Btw, Ajahn Sumedho is an American while Ajahn Amaro and Ajahn Sucitto are British. It seems most of the resident monks at these monasteries are Westerners.

You can find their audio files and e-books at the monasteries' sites:
    amaravati.org/home
    cittaviveka.org/

From what I can gather, it appears they also have smaller branch monasteries in Belsay,
    Northumberland (Harnham Buddhist Monastery) and in Honiton, Devon (Hartridge Buddhist Monastery)

Their websites:
    ratanagiri.org.uk/home/
    hartridgemonastery.org/

Also books free for the taking there. All books with talks by Ajahn Chah I find really inspiring. You can also find some online, but the monasteries will have more.

karmabluesInvincible_summer
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    I'm currently considering buying this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0861714911/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

I read some of his book on the noble eightfold path and thought it was well written. He also has a series of more detailed hard back books which would be the next step if the above proves useful. Anyone have experience of these?
  • jlljll Veteran
    You will be spoiled for choice here.
    http://buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebidx.htm

I am drawn to the Theravada path of Buddhism and plan on visiting some practitioners soon as and when time allows but can anybody recommend a good couple of books for a starting point.

When I began looking into Buddhism I just walked into my nearest Buddhist shop and asked for some books, it was a New Kadampa Tradition one and I left with a couple of books and an invitation to their classes. I didn't get a good vibe though, I know I shouldn't be judgmental but I have to be comfortable somewhere to put my trust in someone.

There are quite a few books listed by a Theravda website but I don't want to make te mistake of investing n a book and then finding it either a glorified pamphlet or so in depth it will put me off. I'm possibly looking for something that gives brief explanations of the teachings of Buddha and I can then explore them more in depth again and then again deeper step by step, book by book.

Invincible_summer
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Lee82 said:

I'm currently considering buying this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0861714911/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

I read some of his book on the noble eightfold path and thought it was well written. He also has a series of more detailed hard back books which would be the next step if the above proves useful. Anyone have experience of these?

Strongly recommend "In the Buddha's Words". I have yet to come across a better introduction to Theravada and the Pali Canon.

Bhikkhu Bodhi also has audio courses which you can listen to/download free on the web. Here is his introductory course on the Buddha's teachings.

http://www.buddhanet.net/audio-lectures.htm

Walpola Rahula's "What the Buddha Taught" is a useful little book. There is a .pdf version here which you can download. If you prefer a hard copy, you can buy it on Amazon or order for free from the Buddha Educational Foundation. I picked up a nice copy from the hallway of a local Chinese grocery! :)
    SillyPuttykarmabluesInvincible_summer
  • newtechnewtech Veteran

Hopefully no book:).
    My advice is to stay away from reading in the first years of practice because it causes confusion/doubt and a lots of expectations (especially if u read about meditation).
    Its better if u listen to some audio talks, trying not to mix teachers and different techniques.

Good luck!.
  • Definitely, get an experienced guide.

I agree with the recommendation of Mindfulness In Plain English. (Available online for free.) I think With Each and Every Breath (also free) is more complete and detailed in its instructions. There is further discussion of it in these two threads.

Listening to talks is also a great idea. Preceding each meditation session with a nice calm dharma talk is very helpful.

Mixing teachers and techniques is fine, as long as you have someone experienced who you describe your experiments to, and give careful consideration to their advice. Hard to find someone like that who won't tell you to stick to their method, but they do exist.
    SillyPuttyInvincible_summer
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited May 2013
    One more possibility..."Focused and Fearless" by Shaila Catherine is on my wish list. Although I haven't read it yet, I listen to her talks regularly and she's a really good teacher.

http://www.amazon.com/Focused-Fearless-Meditators-States-Clarity/dp/0861715608

http://www.audiodharma.org/teacher/31/

• kashi said:

@FairyFeller
    Have you not checked the responses in your other thread on this same subject? I sent 30 mins worth of videos showing practically the whole pali cannon....
    :scratch:

I have and thank you very much to all that have replied in both.

This thread was started six weeks ago and had sort of ground to a halt until it was resurrected and I had actually forgotten starting it. I apologise if I have caused any offence.
    kashi
  • No worries.
  • FairyFellerFairyFeller Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Empty post, can't find how to delete a post made in error.
  • FullCircleFullCircle Explorer
    LOVE Mindfulness in Plain English- can't go wrong with that.. AND Bhantes G's book 'Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness' is wonderful also.. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Closed.

See explanatory comment here.

This discussion has been closed.