Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reading with a cat on your lap

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited March 2007 in General Banter
Has some clever person invented a device permitting reading whilst the cat occupies one's lap? A sort of elevated bookrest? Anyone............?

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I'm glad you asked this question, Simon, and I hope someone knows of such a device. My cat Pinky very often wants to sit right on top of the book in my lap. The only solution I've some up with is using the tray with legs that I use to eat meals in bed as a book rest and putting Pinky on my lap underneath the tray with my legs lying straight. It gets a bit cramped but it's okay for a little while. Pinky's small so he fits okay and he loves sleeping under trays and things. I use this when I'm reading in bed but I imagine it could work in a chair with a footstool as long as that cat's not too large.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    I understand some form of surgery a la Heath-Robinson may be an option.....? Should we perhaps run a competition? :D
  • edited February 2007
    Both of our cats do this. You get all comfy in your armchair with a cup of tea (Japanese Bancha - naturally!) on the side table within easy reach. Unfold the Sunday paper, put your feet up and as if by magic they appear and decide to sit right on top of the paper!

The only answer is to invent X-Ray specs so that you can still read the paper while they're sitting on it!

Another option would be to rub all your books and newspapers in lemon oil as, apparently, cats can't stand the smell of it.
  • edited February 2007
    Don't you know? Cats are the advance column before the full feline invasion. They've been instructed to learn about us...and they do this by infiltrating our homes (and hearts), and learning about our technology. They actually absorb the material through their butts...which is why whenever I want to read a book, magazine, newspaper, etc. they insist on sitting on it.

I have five cats...and I am a slave. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2007
    How about books on tape?!

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I have a T-shirt which reads:
    "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods.
    Cats have never forgotten this."

Having bred Siamese and been owned by dozens of cats since earliest childhood, I am aware of their hatred of their pets (i.e.us) reading - or, indeed, being comfortable without them.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I was going to say, "The best way to get a cat to leave you alone while reading is for you to want them to come sit in your lap."

Just like spouses - they never do what you want them to do when you want them to do it!

-bf
  • edited February 2007
    Not ALL spouses are like that, bf! :)

Oh who am I kidding...yes they are!
  • edited February 2007
    I have a T-shirt which reads:

Having bred Siamese and been owned by dozens of cats since earliest childhood, I am aware of their hatred of their pets (i.e.us) reading - or, indeed, being comfortable without them.

Oh, that is so true. I just love cats. They all have so much personality!
  • edited February 2007
    is there anyone who prefers dogs?.. or are we all cat ppl?
    edited February 2007
    Me!

You can't beat a dog. Well, I mean, you CAN beat a dog - but you will not find an animal that can make you feel better than a dog. So don't even try to argue with me.

You walk in the door and dogs act like you are the most fascinating person in the world to ever cross that threshhold. They think you are the most awesome person in the world no matter how old, bald, ugly, overweight, skinny, droopy-butted, big-gutted you may be! :)

And I NEED that sort of validation in my life :)

-bf
  • edited February 2007
    BF - you mean we don't give you enough of that validation here?? :) We'll work on that.

I LOVE dogs. I just don't have one at the moment. We got one as a present for our daughter last year right before Christmas, and someone stole him 2 weeks later. However, we will be getting a dog ASAP if we buy that farm property. We will need him/her to be an excellent guard dog for our other farm animals.
    edited February 2007
    :D

-bf
  • edited February 2007
    I've given up fighting the lap kitties. I have four kitties and if they say that they are more important than what I'm reading, well I just have to agree. I'm such a softy (probably thanks to being kneaded by all the kitties).
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Dharmakitten, do YOU sit on anyone's lap to annoy them? :D
  • edited February 2007
    I'd like my kitten to sit on my lap.. sigh...
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Celebrin wrote:
    I'd like my kitten to sit on my lap.. sigh...

Try sitting in an armchair and reading a book!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2007
    Just avoid putting your feet up if you use a recliner (taking a snooze afterwards). I've known several kittens out of a litter to get decapitated in those kitten-unfriendly metal hinges underneath.

Not a pretty memory.
  • edited February 2007
    Nirvana wrote:
    Just avoid putting your feet up if you use a recliner (taking a snooze afterwards). I've known several kittens out of a litter to get decapitated in those kitten-unfriendly metal hinges underneath.

Not a pretty memory.

:eekblue:
  • edited February 2007
    How horrible! I'm so sorry!

We had one of those recliners...and my husband refused to part with the nasty thing. My cats would crawl under it, and up into the workings, and I was always nervous that would happen to us. I finally put my foot down...I waited until he wasn't home this past Christmas...and brought it to the dump! LOL!
  • edited February 2007
    Ugh....men and their recliners! :)
  • edited February 2007
    federica wrote:
    Dharmakitten, do YOU sit on anyone's lap to annoy them? :D

To annoy? No... but sometimes to get attention :winkc:
  • edited February 2007
    YogaMama wrote:
    Ugh....men and their recliners! :)

I love my recliner, it's so comfy I just fall asleep as soon as I recline it!

Mrs Frizzer isn't such a fan of the recliner though! :)
  • edited February 2007
    Frizzer - I am checking out your website...it's great! I love that you call your wife Mrs. Frizzer. Cracks me up.
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks Kim, I've still got more to do to the site but it has all the basics on there.
    As for Tracy - my snowboarding friends refer to her as Mrs Frizzer and it kind of stuck!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    I just checked out your site too and it's great! I especially love it because it's fast loading and I'm on slow dial up. There's lots of good info on it and I really enjoyed reading it. The design is lovely and makes for easy reading. I also loved your WeatherPixie and set my own for Ottawa. She's wearing a coat and earmuffs 'cause it's cold and snowing. Very fun!
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks Boo, a friend of mine designed it in exchange for my cigar collection! I gave up smoking a while ago so instead of throwing them out I gave them to my friend in exchange for some webdesign.
    I added the weatherpixie a few days ago - I spotted one on another site so thought I'd add one to mine as well. Now where ever I am I can see what the weather at home is doing by going into my site. At the moment it's 9C here and mine looks like shes wearing a leather cat-suit - not too unlike Diana Rigg in "The Avengers" ....phwoar! :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2007
    .phwoar!

LOL!!

It's -24C here at the moment.
  • edited March 2007
    Dog vs Cat

The Dog's Diary

8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!

7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

The Cat's Diary

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.

The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now...
    edited March 2007
    Frizzer wrote:
    T....a friend of mine designed it in exchange for my cigar collection! I gave up smoking a while ago so instead of throwing them out I gave them to my friend in exchange for some webdesign.

So it's always Chi.co time!
  • TribesmanTribesman Explorer
    edited March 2007
    Seeing as it's you Federica!