Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I want to tell you this, about anger.

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Okay, So just now I am in a rage. Like go out and bludgeon to death the guy that's mowing the lawn across the street because he's making too much damn noise RAGE:mad:

The reason why is WHATEVER, not the point.:mad::mad:

so what happens is this,

I'm getting some more ice for my beer,

So I'm getting this ice tray, and u know how they work u gotta twist them with your hands and the ice pops out of the frozen state..anyway, so im twisting this ice tray and no ice is popping out, and it's hurting my hands, SO here I am like outta my mind with anger at this point.:mad::mad::mad:

SO i decided to pour all of my hatred and malice into this ice cube tray and just tear it apart.

but it didn't work, it just really hurt my hands and wrist and my teeth grinding and my arms and headache style etc etc :mad::mad::mad:,

then this type of cool struck, me.

I got this insight to twist it the other way, gently,
and ALL the ice popped out..

I realized that this is a really sweet metaphor just waiting for me to tell everyone about it.. :D

the lesson is, the anger was blinding me. it was hurting me. I almost was willing to sacrifice my life in order to make this ice tray break.

but through the use of intelligence, and calm, I was able to diffuse the situation in such a short time. IT WAS EASY,

And i feel like that was stronger/more STRENGTH than the physical strength i was putting into it...

sometimes u gotta take a backwards step, and you will see.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    very well observed T.F.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Yup. Things always go more smoothly when we are calm.
  • edited August 2009
    Nice analogy T.F.
  • edited August 2009
    Great story! I had a similar experience the other day that also resulted in a great Dharma moment.

I stubbed the hell out of my toe and tripped and almost fell head first into the wall.

I was about to launch into an epic profanity laced fury when it occurred to me that the pain in my toe was unpleasant because i was labeling it as unpleasant.

Subsequently, I realized that I was angry because I was trying to reject this feeling and reject what had happened rather than accept them as things that I had no control over.

I calmed down, corrected my perception of my throbbing toe, and felt immensely better.

It's great to see the Dharma in action, isn't it?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2009
    yeh, but it still hurts!
    How's your toe? :)
  • edited August 2009
    The toe's good, thanks! Though I don't know if I'm more relieved that I didn't hurt my toe, or that I didn't put a gigantic hole in the wall with my noggin.
  • edited August 2009
    I agree w/ you. Same thing happened to me once before. I guess things are easier when we're in a peace of mind and calm and everything will come to us instead of storming and raging and trying to kill things. :) I like your post. (y)
  • edited September 2009
    good post, and you reaction later in the story with the ice-cube tray was most definitely the correct response, staying calm and rational is the best way.

What I, and I'm sure other people, are trying to do is naming and dealing with that rage before it overwhelms us. Yeah it was horrible and annoying to hear the sound of the lawnmower, but maybe by recognizing it as just a lawnmower, and the fact your neighbor will have the lawn mowed eventually might help. All things are impermanent, even the annoying sound of a lawn mower.
  • BaileyDBaileyD Explorer
    edited September 2009
    Wait, what? You put ice in your beer? :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I know.
    Americans, huh?
    Their beer's already that close to water, and they go and dilute it.....:rolleyes: :lol:
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited September 2009
    federica wrote: »
    I know.
    Americans, huh?
    Their beer's already that close to water, and they go and dilute it.....:rolleyes: :lol:
    I was going to say somethng, but then I remembered that I make lattes with goat milk. What's that saying? Let he who is not stoned cast the first sin?
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I know.
    Americans, huh?
    A terrible generalization :( See: Boston Brewing Company (makers of Samuel Adams). They're now the largest American brewing company. All the swill-producers are owned by Brazilians, the Swiss, and other foofy types :p
    edited September 2009
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    I was going to say somethng, but then I remembered that I make lattes with goat milk. What's that saying? Let he who is not stoned cast the first sin?
    I love goat's milk! And it's great for cappuccinos too!
    Lincoln wrote: »
    A terrible generalization :( See: Boston Brewing Company (makers of Samuel Adams). They're now the largest American brewing company. All the swill-producers are owned by Brazilians, the Swiss, and other foofy types :p

we have a joke here....
    "What's the connection between Watney's 'Red Barrel' and making love in a boat?
    Answer: They're both f***king close to water....."
    edited September 2009
    "What's the connection between Watney's 'Red Barrel' and making love in a boat?
    Answer: They're both f***king close to water....."
    Thank you. The temptation to tell that joke was getting stronger by the hour. But you saved me. :-)
    edited September 2009
    There's Compassion in action for you.
    I took the 'F' word right outta yer mouth...... :lol::lol:
    edited September 2009
    There's Compassion in action for you.
    I took the 'F' word right outta yer mouth...... :lol::lol:
    How utterly selfless of you.

BTW, I just figured out what Verulamium is. A site of importance during the War of the Rosae.
    edited October 2009
    Earlier - much earlier even - than that.......

We're talking Romans, here...... :p
    edited October 2009
    Earlier - much earlier even - than that.......

We're talking Romans, here...... : p
    Ah, I thought you were using Verulamium as an obscure name for St. Albans.

So you're posting from Verulamium itself? I thought the only thing there is a museum and the Roman graveyard.
    edited October 2009
    And a cathedral.
    And (officially)the oldest pub in England.
    And the stopping place for Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine's body...
    Oh...
    And a rather large duckpond.:D

It's also the place where Queen Boudicca kicked Holy Roman @$$ and was instrumental in convincing the Romans that Celtic hospitality wasn't all it had been cut out to be.....
    edited October 2009
    Yeh, the War of the Roses began there, but moved on...
    So it's not the first 'claim to fame' as 't were.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2009
    I would add that there is plenty of evidence that the area around St Alban's [named after the fiurst British Christian martyr (c. 283 CE)] was of importance well before the Roman invasion, all the way back to the 4th millennium before the Common Era.
    edited October 2009
    Since Frederica insists that she's posting from Veralumium, and not elsewhere in St. Albans, I want to know if she's posting from the museum, the graveyard, the cathedral, the pub, or the duckpond.

And if she's posting from the duckpond, does she have a little sign that says "Official Duckpond Tugboat"?
  • edited October 2010
    Hi Federica...I just sent you a PM. Sorry to bring up an old thread. I am also in St. Albans.

Poor St. Alban...the first Christian Martyr whose head, I hear, was cut off and rolled down Holywell Hill