Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tragedy at Fort Hood

edited November 2009 in Buddhism Today
By now, I'm sure all of you have heard about the horrific tragedy the American military suffered at home yesterday. Right on the heels of our discussion about fanaticism.

Here's a bit about the monster who murdered our young men and women...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_re_us/us_fort_hood_shooting

It's quite sickening that this kind of crime would be committed by a uniformed officer of all people.

This is a very personal story to me, and for the record, I hope we can hear him explain his whole reasoning, and then execute him for treason and terrorism.

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited November 2009
    It is by no means clear as of this writing whether it was an individual cracking or Jihadist ideology playing out. If it was the latter, then what next? The guy was high ranking officer.
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited November 2009
    As an ex-soldier I am both saddened and outraged by the senseless killings at Fort Hood. Todays military is a very different one than the one I knew. "Comrades until the end".

grackle
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2009
    grackle wrote: »
    As an ex-soldier I am both saddened and outraged by the senseless killings at Fort Hood. Todays military is a very different one than the one I knew. "Comrades until the end".

grackle

Sadness here also :sadc:
    Grackle, do you see the difference has a relationship to the differences in wider society and individual motivation and understanding in relation to the military in more recent times?
  • gracklegrackle Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Andyrobyn,
    Like most men of a certain age our entry to the military was being drafted. Todays service is all volunteer. Yes social attitudes towards military service have changed. As well as persons who seek a career in the military.
    The burden on the Ft. Hood community is very heavy. Many soldiers there have been deployed more than once.

grackle
  • edited November 2009
    The appalling thing about the whole affair is the information emerging that points to this man professing admiration for suicide bombers and vocally calling for Muslims to "rise up" against Americans in the Middle-East. Why was this man not removed prior to this shooting? All these statements were made years in advance of the murders at Fort Hood. Was it political correctness that kept him in and his superiors too embarrassed to remove him? It's frightening if this is the case.

This is terrorism plain and simple, and I don't know why it's not being called that. All the evidence points to a man who shared the same ideology as those who blow themselves up in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Why was this man not removed prior to this shooting?
    For the same reason as all the stop-loss orders. The US can't really afford this occupation, and it's going to be paying for it, both economically and socially, for years, just like after Vietnam.
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    For the same reason as all the stop-loss orders. The US can't really afford this occupation, and it's going to be paying for it, both economically and socially, for years, just like after Vietnam.

What does any of this have to do with the topic? The Major was not some war-scarred veteran who saw too much in the Middle-East. He never was deployed! He was a psychiatrist, not an infantryman.
    edited November 2009
    You asked, I answsered...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I think it's way too early to draw conclusions. For all we know this poor man has a brain tumor! We just don't know his motivations yet. And if we did, would it make any difference? It's a horrible tragedy. I really feel for the Muslims in the military who are trying to do their best and then to have this happen to make it even more difficult for them. And I agree, Grackle, it's a far different military than when we were in. Just about everyone I knew and associated with had been drafted, so our attitudes were much different than you might find in today's military. We didn't want to be there and were just interested in surviving the experience. If Viet Nam was our Syracuse, i.e., the beginning of our decline as a world power, what are today's conflicts? (cue Simon...)

Palzang
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2009
    The appalling thing about the whole affair is the information emerging that points to this man professing admiration for suicide bombers and vocally calling for Muslims to "rise up" against Americans in the Middle-East. Why was this man not removed prior to this shooting? All these statements were made years in advance of the murders at Fort Hood. Was it political correctness that kept him in and his superiors too embarrassed to remove him? It's frightening if this is the case.

This is terrorism plain and simple, and I don't know why it's not being called that. All the evidence points to a man who shared the same ideology as those who blow themselves up in Iraq and Afghanistan.
    What does any of this have to do with the topic? The Major was not some war-scarred veteran who saw too much in the Middle-East. He never was deployed! He was a psychiatrist, not an infantryman.

I ditto KOB!

Look, our friend is sharing some concerns from his heart. Why shoot him down? Especially now. He's angry and rightfully so!

There are times when nay-sayers really need to button their lips awhile and now is one of them.

I dunno about any of this. I feel my role in life as a Vedantist is to be the witness and enter not into the evil. However, we cannot all be mere witnesses.

Be well, Sir Knight!

Nirvy
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I suppose the "nay sayers" should have shut up when the fragging started in Vietnam, too.
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, I suppose the "nay sayers" should have shut up when the fragging started in Vietnam, too.

I just don't know what exactly it is that you are arguing. Or what Vietnam has to do with this either. We're talking about a an American-born man who willingly volunteered to serve in the Army, all the while taking inspiration from the 9/11 murderers and their ilk in Al-Qaeda. That's a little more frightening to me than your run-of-the-mill disgruntled former employee.

By all means nay-say, but just be a little less vague.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009
    The guy was bat-shit crazy. End of story.
    edited November 2009
    KoB, you asked why this man was kept on, despite red flags which seem obvious in hindsight. I said he was kept on for the same reason that so many soldiers have been forced by stop-loss orders to continue to serve: the occupation of Iraq is straining US military resources. They've been keeping on lots of people who desperately want out, because they can't get enough people. It's (just another) sign that the US can't afford this war, and is going to be paying for it for decades.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    The guy was bat-shit crazy.

KOB's point, though not exactly stated that way! Hardly the end of the story, though!

WHY, Why was nothing done?

I work in a place where no one may carry weapons of any kind, but we have strict protocols for reporting bizarre behavior that may indicate an escalation of violence.

This is a national tragedy and a disgrace. Shame on those who heard and saw and said and did nothing!
  • edited November 2009
    KoB, you asked why this man was kept on, despite red flags which seem obvious in hindsight. I said he was kept on for the same reason that so many soldiers have been forced by stop-loss orders to continue to serve: the occupation of Iraq is straining US military resources. They've been keeping on lots of people who desperately want out, because they can't get enough people. It's (just another) sign that the US can't afford this war, and is going to be paying for it for decades.

Stop-loss isn't the issue here. Men have been chaptered out of military service for less. Hell, people have been chaptered for DUI's and being late for formation too many times (though, the latter is generally an indicator of a sh*t bird). The military is not a place where if you want out you get out. You have a legit, legally binding contract. For instance, my contract says, explicitly, that I will serve for a period of 4 years and 0 days, and at that time have the opprotunity to either leave or re-enlist. If someone says "I want out", tough freaking break. You signed a damned contract, suck it be a (wo)man (gotta be PC). If you come up with a legit reason, though, yeah, then it should be reviewed. This dude was simply a shit bird who was freaking nuts. Oh, and as far as stop-loss goes, yeah, they can do that. The military owns you. There's limits, but they can. Especially for first term enlisted. Then you have 4 years inactive reserve, at any time during which you can be called up.
  • edited November 2009
    I dunno If i was a Muslim... I wouldn't be in the AMERICAN military..
    are you SERIOUS?!

It's like a black guy being a psychiatrist for the KKK almost...

(no offense to the Americans, I mean in HIS mind you guys are probably like that KKK) if that's the case of course he's going to snap..

is there a rule where.. if lets say we WAR on China...shouldn't we give the chance to Chinese-American officers, to quit the military? Is there something like this for Muslims?
    like in court a "conflict of interest" type thing?
    If not that's fkin stupid.
  • edited November 2009
    TheFound wrote: »
    I dunno If i was a Muslim... I wouldn't be in the AMERICAN military..
    are you SERIOUS?!

It's like a black guy being a psychiatrist for the KKK almost...

(no offense to the Americans, I mean in HIS mind you guys are probably like that KKK) if that's the case of course he's going to snap..

is there a rule where.. if lets say we WAR on China...shouldn't we give the chance to Chinese-American officers, to quit the military? Is there something like this for Muslims?
    like in court a "conflict of interest" type thing?
    If not that's fkin stupid.

Ummm.... huh?! That's downright crazy on soooo many levels. It's not a war on Islam.. it's a war on terrorism. The dude was born in Virginia. I know a few Muslims that PROUDLY serve in the United States military, across all the services. And, no, you can't get out simply on the grounds of being Muslim, because there is really no conflict of interest. It would only be a conflict of interest if you were a terrorist. However, Muslims in the military do sometimes feel bad, I guess would be the word, about waging war against other Msulims, be they extremist or not. But, again, this guy was a head-shrinker. Not a grunt. He wasn't about to do any war-fightin'.
  • edited November 2009
    Jason wrote: »
    The guy was bat-shit crazy. End of story.

I actually don't think he was. I believe his actions were carefully planned and coldly calculated for a while in advance. I see no evidence that he just "snapped" for inexplicable reasons. Information is coming out now that he not only attended the same mosque as several of the 9/11 hijackers, but that he also had the same imam as his a spiritual adviser (the imam now lives in Yemen and speaks glowingly of the killings at Ft. Hood).

It's as plain as day to me that Major Hassan was influenced by jihadist ideology and was not just some crank upset about work.