Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Five Precepts and Pali Canon Questionare

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Today
Hello, just wondering if someone could please answer the following questions below for a school report I have to do on the impact of The Five Precepts and the Pali Canon on contemporary Australia. NOTE: your responses will be completely anonymous in the report. All that I'm after is a general response. Any additional information will be greatly appreciated.

-What does the Pali Canon mean to you?
-What significance does the Pali Canon have to you?<O:p</O:p
-What relevance does the Pali Canon have to you in everyday life?<O:p</O:p
-Where and when do you observe the Pali Canon in contemporary society?<O:p</O:p
-Have there been any changes in the way you perceive the Pali Canon? If so, what are they?<O:p</O:p
-Have there been any changes in the way you perceive the authority of the Pali Canon? If so, what are they? <O:p</O:p
-How do the teachings of the Five Precepts relate to your everyday life?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I'll get the ball rolling for ya... Nothing to detailed hope it helps ya

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><link rel="Edit-Time-Data" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COwner%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_editdata.mso"><!--[if !mso]> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:SimSun; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-alt:宋体; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@SimSun&quot;; panose-1:2 1 6 0 3 1 1 1 1 1; mso-font-charset:134; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 135135232 16 0 262145 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:SimSun;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> -What does the Pali Canon mean to you?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    From the Pali cannon I find teachings that lessen my suffering. I generally prefer the brand of Buddhism espoused in the Pali Cannon as opposed to the Mahayana transmissions.
    -What significance does the Pali Canon have to you?<o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1&quot;/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt; height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]--></o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]-->
    It is a very special set of teachings. I know not every sutta came from the buddhas mouth but it is as close as were gonna get

-What relevance does the Pali Canon have to you in everyday life?<o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]--></o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1028" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]-->
    I try to live by the precepts.
    -Where and when do you observe the Pali Canon in contemporary society?<o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1029" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]--></o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1030" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]-->
    I observe it whenever I make a conscious decision to live by one of the precepts...

-Have there been any changes in the way you perceive the Pali Canon? If so, what are they?<o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1031" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]--></o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1032" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]-->
    After reading What the Buddha taught I became more confident in the validity of the scriptures

-Have there been any changes in the way you perceive the authority of the Pali Canon? If so, what are they? <o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1033" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]--></o><!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="_x0000_i1034" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:12pt;height:12pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif" o:href="http://newbuddhist.com/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]-->[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]<!--[endif]-->
    See Above

-How do the teachings of the Five Precepts relate to your everyday life?
    I eat meat sadly but I don’t kill, this extends to anger... i’m not perfect but I see the destruction it has causes in my life and try to avoid it-or at least be present for it
    Lying – I try not to lie... this for me extends to slander/gossip one I am still devoting a lot of time too
    Sex – I don’t engage in my sexuality in a way that may cause harm to myself or others anymore
    Stealing – pretty obvious I don’t steal anymore
    Intoxicants – I am a recovering alkie so everday I remind myself that I live by the 5<sup>th</sup> precept. If I break this one all the others go out the window... ergo for me it is most important...
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hah, his school project was probably long since handed in. :)
  • edited December 2009
    haha your right I just saw the date... not like any of that information would have helped anyway... its all good