Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism & the poison called Alcohol

edited December 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I feel kind of strange starting this topic, as alcohol is not at all important to me in life, but for practical matters I do wonder:

- I read alcohol is perceived as poison, and should not be consumed, it's obvious why: it may well cloud the mind.

- Still what about having a glass of wine with dinner? Is that allowed?

- I read that Buddhists that have years of Buddhists "training" are allowed alcohol for functional reasons...?

- What about substances like coffee or just caffeine in general?

Personally I can give up on alcohol in a second, although I like a wine with dinner ... but from experience I know having a beer with friends can often create a very social situation, oddly enough also for others (being one of them).

Thanks as always !!

Comments

• ManiMani Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hi Hank.

I know that people have different interpretations on this topic, especially on how it deals with the precepts.

Taking intoxicants which cloud the mind can be somewhat counterproductive, yes.

Some have taught a complete rejection of alcohol, others may not see be so strict. As far as the precepts go, there is the thought that when one consumes alcohol (and becomes intoxicated) there is a real danger of that person breaking the some of the other precepts.

I don't think that caffeine is considered an intoxicant in this context.
  • edited December 2009
    Hey Mani,

Thanks for your views on this matter. Indeed views on it do seem to differ.

It's strange to think that minimal use of alcohol would lead to immediate intoxication, which is untrue. I mean you are even allowed to have a minimum quantity and drive...

I don't mind giving it up, but I wonder about the minimal use of it, dining being the most practical one.

Thanks !!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    - I read alcohol is perceived as poison, and should not be consumed, it's obvious why: it may well cloud the mind.

Buddhism doesn't lay out a bunch of restrictions that you must follow. You make your own choices. You make them mindfully, observing the underlying cravings that're present, the reasons for which you desire to do something, the consequences to yourself and others, etc. The Buddha taught his son:
    "What do you think, Rahula: What is a mirror for?"

"For reflection, sir."

"In the same way, Rahula, bodily actions, verbal actions, & mental actions are to be done with repeated reflection.

"Whenever you want to do a bodily action, you should reflect on it: 'This bodily action I want to do — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Would it be an unskillful bodily action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful bodily action with painful consequences, painful results, then any bodily action of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful bodily action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then any bodily action of that sort is fit for you to do.

"While you are doing a bodily action, you should reflect on it: 'This bodily action I am doing — is it leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Is it an unskillful bodily action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it is leading to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both... you should give it up. But if on reflection you know that it is not... you may continue with it.

"Having done a bodily action, you should reflect on it: 'This bodily action I have done — did it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Was it an unskillful bodily action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it led to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it was an unskillful bodily action with painful consequences, painful results, then you should confess it, reveal it, lay it open to the Teacher or to a knowledgeable companion in the holy life. Having confessed it... you should exercise restraint in the future. But if on reflection you know that it did not lead to affliction... it was a skillful bodily action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then you should stay mentally refreshed & joyful, training day & night in skillful mental qualities.

[he then goes through verbal and mental actions in the same manner]

"Thus, Rahula, you should train yourself: 'I will purify my bodily actions through repeated reflection. I will purify my verbal actions through repeated reflection. I will purify my mental actions through repeated reflection.' That's how you should train yourself."

-MN 61

Anything we consume alters our bodies and thus our minds. Some things affect us in ways that are beneficial and help our bodies function in a healthy way. Some things do not, and lead to harm in various ways. Idealy, we'd all eat only what we need and only to sustain ourselves. But that's a choice for you to make and work on, not because "Buddhism says so," but because it's what's best for you.

Anything that we crave/cling to is an intoxicant in the same way. The cravings are the real issue, the real intoxicant that the Buddha's teachings are concerned with. When these are dealt with, the rest follows.
  • edited December 2009
    This is my take on the fifth precept: We should refrain from intoxicants that cause mindlessness or heedlessness. For lay practitioners, this could mean the avoidance of the "abuse" of alcohol... meaning... drinking in moderation on specific occasions may be okay. Not too sure about this! But, of course, zero alcohol at childrens' party, at work, at a retreat :D, before meditation :D, and so on. And as always... staying away from intoxicants is best.

I don't think anyone will be violating the fifth precept by drinking stimulants such as coffee and tea. Recently, I read an essay by a bhikkhu ... he says that he sometimes takes his coffee to his meditating mat and practices mindfulness on the actual drinking of the coffee. :) ... and then again he might be drinking decaf... ;)

The translations of the fifth precept from Pali or Sanskrit is not always consistent. Sometimes it seems that alcohol (intoxicating drinks) should be avoided altogether and sometimes it seems that the "abusive use" of alcohol should be avoided. This can be confusing. Where can I get a word for word translation of the fifth precept of the Pali Canon?

EDIT: Mundus...didn't see your post when I posted this. You have answered some of the issues.
  • edited December 2009
    Excellent comments you guys, thanks !!

To oOMundus:
    "Whenever you want to do a bodily action, you should reflect on it: 'This bodily action I want to do — would it lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both? Would it be an unskillful bodily action, with painful consequences, painful results?' If, on reflection, you know that it would lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others, or to both; it would be an unskillful bodily action with painful consequences, painful results, then any bodily action of that sort is absolutely unfit for you to do. But if on reflection you know that it would not cause affliction... it would be a skillful bodily action with pleasant consequences, pleasant results, then any bodily action of that sort is fit for you to do.
    Very, very useful quote, thanks so much. I wonder now though what if you are not sure of the outcome, of possible affliction, what if there's DOUBT ?!

With reference to alcohol, a little wine with dinner is considered healthy in general, so no affliction there. However in other contexts (such as parties etc), I will perceive it different personally, or at least think about it allot.

To Sukhita:
    I don't think anyone will be violating the fifth precept by drinking stimulants such as coffee and tea. Recently, I read an essay by a bhikkhu ... he says that he sometimes takes his coffee to his meditating mat and practices mindfulness on the actual drinking of the coffee. :) ... and then again he might be drinking decaf... ;)
    Haha... great story, I think it's a great way to put things in perspective, thanks 4 that!!

Cheers ;) !!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Hank777 wrote: »

- I read that Buddhists that have years of Buddhists "training" are allowed alcohol for functional reasons...?

To begin with, it should be made clear that Buddhist precepts are not equivalent to commandments in that precepts are training rules which are voluntarily undertaken rather than edicts or commands dictated by a higher power and/or authority. The precepts are undertaken to protect ourselves, as well as others, from the results of unwholesome actions.

As for whether having a glass of wine with dinner violates the fifth precept, it depends on who you ask. Some say yes and some say no. Dhammanando Bhikkhu, for example, states:
    In the Theravadin understanding the fifth precept enjoins complete abstinence, not moderation. It is broken when one knowingly consumes even the smallest amount of alcohol. It is not broken if the alcohol is consumed unwittingly or is an ingredient in an essential medicine.

The main reasoning behind this interpretation — which is based on Abhidhammic teachings — is that "every breach of the fifth precept arises from a greed-rooted citta."

Ajahn Khemasanto, on the other hand, has said that having a glass of wine with dinner (for a lay-followers at least) doesn't violate the fifth precept as long as one stops before they can "feel the effects" of the alcohol. The main reasoning behind this interpretation, I suppose, is the intent of the precept itself, i.e., the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs that lead to carelessness is meant to help protect one from breaking the other four precepts, not to insinuate that drinking alcohol in and of itself is unwholesome.

Whether this is what the Buddha himself meant when he formulated the fifth precept, I don't know; I am just passing along what I've heard. I have a glass of beer or wine once in a while myself, and I don't lose any sleep over it. Suffice it to say that I tend to follow the spirit rather than the letter when it comes to doctrine.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I wonder now though what if you are not sure of the outcome, of possible affliction, what if there's DOUBT ?!

My teacher says "serve what is true to the limits of your perception. If there's any doubt, make the best guess. If things go wrong, you've learned something.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    And if you do go wrong, no big deal. Just shrug it off and start over.

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    My teacher says "serve what is true to the limits of your perception. If there's any doubt, make the best guess. If things go wrong, you've learned something.
    Great quote fivebells ... I mean this applies to so many things, thanks 4 that !

Also, thanks everybody, for your thoughts.

Personally I feel that a minimum use of alcohol, saying wine basically, which I drink purely for the fact that I think it is good for digestion and obviously complements dinner, should be alright.

I am not drinking it because I want any of its intoxicating effects, besides, I think it could be scientifically proven that 1 glass of wine will (on average) not have such effects.

I mean no disrespect, and my plan is simply to abolish all other drinking, but this I see as part of a meal. If I were to say, I drink alcohol because it relaxes me (saying the (intoxicating) effects of it do), that would strike me, personally, far more as crossing a line.

Thanks Jason for the excellent & relevant link, very interesting. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Hi there,

I didn't drink for 12 months and recently went back to having 1 small glass of wine with dinner or a small low-alcohol beer.

I used to really believe alcohol did no harm and used to drink about 4 glasses of wine a night (not small ones either...) I remember posting on another buddhist forum that I would not give this up because I enjoyed it and it didn't make me a bad person.

But I can tell you that after those 12-months of not drinking at all (for very many, varied reasons) I am continually amazed by how 1 glass changes me, my perception and my feelings towards the world.

My glass of wine last night was no more than a thimble-full. I love the taste and my girlfriend is a very skilled Sommelier... But that is all I need.

I am not being pious, I just wanted to share how perceptions of 'abuse' of alcohol differ greatly depending on how much you consume in the first place.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I would imagine that when refining one's state of consciousness through meditation, even a small bit of alcohol can have a noticeable effect. Most of us are not at that refined level of awareness though. Keep in mind that a monk's diet is also very much restricted, relative to most Buddhist practitioners. Merely eating food has an effect on our consciousness as well, however we are usually so busy thinking about everything else that we don't notice this so much.

Now, I will put myself in that same boat of not noticing these things so much. I arguably eat more than I need to and I do occasionally indulge in a drink or two (though not very often). At this point in my practice though, I'm mustering about as much effort as I can (though not up to potential, obviously).
  • edited December 2009
    Hi there,

I didn't drink for 12 months and recently went back to having 1 small glass of wine with dinner or a small low-alcohol beer.

I used to really believe alcohol did no harm and used to drink about 4 glasses of wine a night (not small ones either...) I remember posting on another buddhist forum that I would not give this up because I enjoyed it and it didn't make me a bad person.

But I can tell you that after those 12-months of not drinking at all (for very many, varied reasons) I am continually amazed by how 1 glass changes me, my perception and my feelings towards the world.

My glass of wine last night was no more than a thimble-full. I love the taste and my girlfriend is a very skilled Sommelier... But that is all I need.

I am not being pious, I just wanted to share how perceptions of 'abuse' of alcohol differ greatly depending on how much you consume in the first place.
    Excellent example, thanks for sharing it. I think this pretty emphasizes what I was trying to say earlier, just saying I want it because I enjoy it and having several glasses, is in a whole different realm then saying I am having a thimble-full with dinner. I feel the first holds a decision to accept drinking for drinking itself, rather than saying, I like it with supper and have to complete the "dining experience" if you will ;)
    Now, I will put myself in that same boat of not noticing these things so much. I arguably eat more than I need to and I do occasionally indulge in a drink or two (though not very often). At this point in my practice though, I'm mustering about as much effort as I can (though not up to potential, obviously).
    I think this is only fair, as far as you are honest with yourself, it's like loosing wait, when loosing a bit of weight with time goes fine, why force great weight-loss by pure will, with "suffering" in a different context in result ?
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009

Personally I feel that a minimum use of alcohol, saying wine basically, which I drink purely for the fact that I think it is good for digestion and obviously complements dinner, should be alright.

Of course it is alright. You have not taken a formal Vow in which you have promised NOT to drink. Therefore, drinking is no big deal.

... however, IF you had taken a formal Vow which included not drinking ... well, then you dont drink.

Its like getting married and promising not to sleep with other women. Its not that sex is prohibited ... its just that youve made a promise.
  • edited December 2009
    Of course it is alright. You have not taken a formal Vow in which you have promised NOT to drink. Therefore, drinking is no big deal.

... however, IF you had taken a formal Vow which included not drinking ... well, then you don't drink.

Its like getting married and promising not to sleep with other women. Its not that sex is prohibited ... its just that you've made a promise.
    Thanks 4 the input. I have not taken a VOW as u say, but I do want to take the TRAINING rules serious, as serious as possible you know? I guess I like the structure they offer, and will only decide to make modest "exceptions" where I think that's for the best.

From what I gather this is ok, as you your responsibilty, for your own doings.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Thanks 4 the input. I have not taken a VOW as u say, but I do want to take the TRAINING rules serious, as serious as possible you know? I guess I like the structure they offer, and will only decide to make modest "exceptions" where I think that's for the best.

From what I gather this is ok, as you your responsibilty, for your own doings.

This makes sense to me.
  • edited December 2009
    sukhita wrote: »
    Where can I get a word for word translation of the fifth precept of the Pali Canon?

The following translation was posted on another forum I frequent and is one I largely agree with. The original poster is a Pali scholar who posts under the handle Kare.
    The best way of translating this sentence, is to start from the end.

samadiyami = I undertake
    sikkhapadam = the training precept
    veramani = of abstaining from

Now for the long compound:
    suramerayamajjappamadatthana

This is a compound made up from sura + meraya + majja + pamada + thana

sura and meraya are two different alcoholic drinks. Sura may be a kind of beer, and meraya maybe some kind of cider. Anyway, both are alcoholic.

majja = either intoxication or intoxicant drink
    pamada = indolence, carelessness, negligence, intoxication

majja and pamada are practically synonyms here

now for the last member of the compound: thana. This word means "condition".

So, suramerayamajjappamadatthana is literally "beer-cider-carelessness-intoxication-condition".

In order to make this into a more idiomatic English, we have to start from the end: "the condition of intoxication and carelessness caused by beer and cider"

So what then does the precept say? It says: I undertake the training precept of abstaining from the condition of intoxication and carelessness caused by beer and cider (or, alcoholic drinks).

This is the literal meaning of the precept. Not to abstain from the drinks, but to abstain from the condition of intoxication.

You may say that as soon as you drink, you will get intoxicated, so that the wise thing is to abstain from the drinks in order to abstain from intoxication. I fully agree on this point. The sensible thing is not to get drunk, and in order not to get drunk it is wise not to drink.

But if you know yourself so well that you know that you can take a small glass of wine or beer without getting drunk - and stop there! - the precept is definitely not broken.

I should also note that majja can be translated as intoxicant to include much more than just alcohol. The hardliners often use stricter, more prohibitive translations of that sort. Personally I don't think that translating majja as intoxicant makes sense when taken in context of the rest of the sentence and the Pali grammar. Carelessness-intoxication-condition seems to be a better fit than carelessness-intoxicant-condition, especially if you consider majja and pamada as synonyms. There has been endless hours of debate on this, and I could go on for a bit, but I'll stop here.

As for myself, I abstain from alcohol completely, as even small amounts of alcohol do not agree with me. However, I think if lay people want to have an occasional drink, it is not breaking the precept as long as they do not become drunken or careless.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Poto,

Excellent! Thanks for your response and especially the effort you put into this.

I haven't had any alcoholic drinks for a year now. Don't feel for it anymore.

Kind regards.