Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachment to caffeine and nicotine

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everybody,

I just joined the forum and have a question that has been on my mind recently. I have struggled for quite a while with being dependent on caffeine and nicotine. I go back and forth between stopping, starting, stopping, to the point that I am getting disgusted with myself.

Basically what I'm wondering is if I cannot prevent myself from craving something, then would completely eliminating be the only option? Certainly smoking has a negative impact on my life, and I am preparing to quit again. But when it comes to coffee, just how bad is this? Recently I've reduced my intake to one coffee in the morning, but it is still a dependence. I can't wake up and function without having it, it makes me a bit edgy, but I still have an attachment to it that I cannot let go of and give so much importance to this morning ritual.

Should I even bother worrying about this, or should I just be grateful that I cut down on the caffeine and focus all energy on smoking which is a more significant problem?

I'm not sure if there is one obvious answer to this or not, I'm just curious what you all think.

Thanks!

Brian

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi,

Sorry I have no advice as I'm in exactly the same position as you. I go through a pack of cigarettes a day and drink 4 bottles of diet coke to boot, since I stopped drinking alcohol. It makes me feel pretty worthless. Sometimes I wonder if the only way to avoid these attatchments is to become a monk. The temptation is everywhere.
  • edited December 2009
    Welcome Brian,

Not sure whether you were looking for an answer reflected of the Buddhist philosophy, then again that would be somewhat implied... ;) so I'll try to give u my opinion 2-fold:

1st. Know that smoking is seriously bad for you. Please don't let anybody tell you otherwise; my grandfather smoked till he was 90 etc.. It's a medical fact that there's an incubation time for smokers (depending on the amount u smoke) which in the long run will affect your health.

Quitting is not easy, but there are ways... if you'd look through it from a Buddhist perspective: you are clearly clinging to your addiction (various interesting topics on this forum on that), and if you inspire to live the Buddhist way, this may fire u up (pardon the pun) to quit... even if you do it by gradually quitting.

2nd. Coffee is not all that bad for you, although enormous amount can lead to stomach related aches etc, just unpleasent, but caffeine is also known to be addictive. As long as it not an addiction to you, you in the clear from a Buddhist's perspective imho. And hey... many of us enjoy coffee ;), and starting your day with a cup is OK, having 1 or 2 more is OK too, but strive for a non-clinging way of drinking. Otherwise you'll just end up suffering in the end and be dependent of it too.

Hope this helps !! Best of Luck !! :)
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Stream,

Thanks for the reply. I know how you feel, I'm also up to about a pack a day and it just doesn't feel right when you are trying to grow and become more conscious. Good for you for quitting drinking, there is also a lot of temptation in society for that. Addictions really force us to look at ourselves if we are going to overcome them...
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited December 2009
    If anything slows down your progress, then stop it. An obstacle is not the object itself, it is your minds perception of it. Focus on alleviating one obstacle at a time. I drink tea, which has caffeine, everyday several times a day and I do not see it as an obstacle or anything other than a savory hot drink.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    It does no good to just stop doing something because it never works, particularly when you're dealing with addictive substances (or desire). What works is getting to the root cause of the problem and dealing with that. Then the addiction will take care of itself. In other words, it doesn't work to suppress things.

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    It does no good to just stop doing something because it never works, particularly when you're dealing with addictive substances (or desire). What works is getting to the root cause of the problem and dealing with that. Then the addiction will take care of itself. In other words, it doesn't work to suppress things.

Palzang
    Once again Palzang, you've captured the essence of how to tackle this problem.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Now if I could just get over my addictions...

Palzang
  • edited December 2009
    Now if I could just get over my addictions...

Palzang
    Haha ;) well acknowledging that you have them is the first step, so I guess you are already under way. I'd recommend you your own advice :p
  • edited December 2009
    Thank you for all the replies. I think that the caffeine should not be a major concern for now. The smoking, however, is something that has to go. I'm become more aware of how it prevents me from fully engaging in life and feeling my emotions. Who knows maybe the 8th attempt is the lucky one? ;)
  • edited December 2009
    yes, and for me it's was the 12th attempt, lol!

you can do it. For me it was my children that ultimately inspired me enough to finally just do it. My daughter caught me smoking out on the porch...after I told her I was done with smoking, and she said to me "Mom, smoking will kill you". She was right. She was sad, rational and right!!

Find someone you really respect/love and talk with them about your smoking. I know that motivation initially came externally, but hey, whatever works!

Good luck!!

A
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Caffeine is not difficult to kick, but it is still a powerful drug. I suggest starting here, because your success overcoming caffeine addiction will give you confidence and spur you on to tackling nicotine.

Nicotine is a powerful physical addiction. Make no mistake, quitting smoking is rough. You WILL feel bad for a period of time. For me, accepting that was the key to quitting. You must completely accept the reality of the situation, and be willing to go through it in order to put it behind you. It comes back to being mindful in the present moment.

Remember. Everybody quits smoking. Eventually.

In late 2001 and into 2002, I cared for my father as he died a slow, painful death from lung cancer. When it was all over, I was still feeling enormous stress, and my own smoking was out of control. At about 2:00 AM on February 28, I had smoked three packs that day and was still going. Lamenting my weakness, I felt something rise up inside me. I hated my smoking. I hated cigarettes. My habit was making me feel awful and ruling my life. Suddenly, I'd had enough. I allowed myself to become angry, and heard myself shout out, "I QUIT!" I smashed up all the cigarettes I had left, about half a carton. I threw out all the ashtrays, and bagged all the lighters.

I was done. After fifteen years, I had had enough. I never "tried" to quit smoking. "Trying" to quit is a game, a fantasy. When I quit, it wasn't something I was doing, it was something I had done.

The key, for me, was not quitting, it was accepting the consequences of quitting. I knew life would suck for a while, but it would pass. I looked at it like being sick. When you're sick, you don't get the option of changing your mind and going back. You have to go forward. You must go through the experience of being sick to get to the experience of not being sick. That may seem obvious, but why is it so much harder to see when it is our addiction, rather than an involuntary illness?

You can't "quit" if you're still thinking about quitting. That is wishy-washy mentality, and it will never work. When you truly quit, you put "quitting" behind you and resolve to press onward.

Surrender to health. Give in to well-being. Accept the consequences of eliminating harmful habits. If you can do that, you've already succeeded.

"No! Try not! Do, or do not. There is no try." ~ Yoda

~ AD
  • edited January 2010
    When I quit smoking several years ago it wasn't difficult at all. I cut down to one cigarette after breakfast, one after lunch and one after dinner. Then I just thought "OK, its time!"stopped buying more and quit completely.
    If I ever felt a craving, I just sucked in deep breaths of air in the way that one draws in on a cigarette. I was surprised at how easy it was. I think we pay too much attention to other people telling us its really difficult or that its an addiction. Be strong, you can do it easy peasy !

Caffeine makes you more tired in the end because its a stimulant and its not good for people of a very nervous or emotional disposition.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I just read an article that says that texting is addictive. They did a study with some college students, and whenever they received a text on their cell phone, their dopamine levels would increase. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter (if you don't know) that is associated with the pleasure centers of the brain.

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    WARNING !!!!!

picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=52

Nicotine is addictive... very addictive :D
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I was a pack and a half man years ago. To deal with it, I actually moved to a city where I had no job and eventually, I was left with the choice to eat or smoke. I chose to eat at that time. By the time I had not smoked for over two weeks, I realized I had wanted to quit smoking for years so this was my chance. Pretty soon, I started looking at desire to smoke not as a problem, but as an opportunity to take advantage of. Accepting the desire and being thankful for it, was the turning point.

I think about that experience and the Buddhist point of view. I have since learned there are many other ways that I can overcome problems such as this (and I continue to experience temptations just like everyone else).

Mindfulness is important. What do you tell yourself about smoking? Some people believe smoking is their friend. Some people tell themselves they "have to have a cigarette or they will die". Or they may tell themselves that smoking calms them down. Or this can be combined with I need a smoke to calm down. Or smoking and having a coffee goes together or waking up, you need to have a cigarette. Thoughts like this can hold you in the cigarette addiction. Of course, these are all lies. Educating yourself about cigarettes can help you overcome the lies you tell yourself. Question the things you tell yourself. Don't accept them at face value ever when they relate to smoking.

Acceptance is another important factor. Desires can convince you that you will never win. They can be persistant. The harder you fight them off, the stronger they become. The minute you forget about them and you feel you have them licked and when you seem to be at your most vulnerable, they will pop up again ready to battle with you, to tempt you, to seduce you. The harder you resist them, the more tricks they try. Rather than battle with them, can you stand beside them? Can you allow them to be without reacting or buying into the struggle?

Another method I am finding quite effective, metta meditation for others. How has the cigarette habit effected people around you? What if your children or other people you influence have taken up the habit? If they have, extend loving kindness meditation towards them, so that they may overcome this habit. This can be very effective FOR YOU. You may also meditate on some of the most seriously afflicted people you can find who are effected by cigarettes. Extending loving kindness towards them has benefits for all. When I do this, I find I can easily remember them when I think of how they are negatively effected. Thinking of myself, not as effective. I can trick myself into forgetting.

This last method, is one I have only recently discovered, but I am finding it to be the most effective approach to take with craving.

Namaste.
  • edited January 2010
    Thank you all for your stories and encouragement! I decided to make another attempt at it, today will be me 5th day without smoking. I decided to use the nicotine patch to help with the withdrawal symptoms. There seems to be conflicting views on using nicotine to help get off of nicotine but for me I find them helpful.

@AriettaDolente: That is great that you were able to stop after being up to 3 packs in a day. This quit attempt I am trying to do what you have mentioned, acceptance. Accepting my feelings and anxiety as they arise rather than run away from them. I'm tired of having these emotions run my life and determine my actions.

@Allbuddha: Since beginning to meditate I have still yet to give much attention to metta meditation. I have always focused more on mindfulness. But I think that it may be a very helpful tool for me in my attempt to crack open all the walls that I have been building.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm attached to nicotine as well, and I realized some time ago that this is an attachment that I need to learn to let go of. I've tried to quit a few times, without much success. I'm 22, and I've been smoking a pack a day for 9 years already. I've seen my father go through lung problems due to smoking, he has severe COPD, and has to be on oxygen at the age of 42. My grandmother also had throat cancer due to smoking. (Luckily the cancer is now gone, although she's taken up smoking again.. )If this isn't a good example of why to quit, I don't know what is.. But it's easy to say "I'm going to quit", and then give in once the withdrawal kicks in. Thanks for this post, guys. I think I'm going to give it a shot. The only way to quit is to just stop smoking.. So I think I'm just going to throw out my cigarettes, and whenever I feel strong withdrawal symptoms I'm just going to meditate calmly on letting the attachment go. Goodluck to anyone else who is attempting to quit, I'll be glad to offer any support that I can. :) Peace.
  • edited February 2010
    Legerity wrote: »
    Hi everybody,

I just joined the forum and have a question that has been on my mind recently. I have struggled for quite a while with being dependent on caffeine and nicotine. I go back and forth between stopping, starting, stopping, to the point that I am getting disgusted with myself.

Basically what I'm wondering is if I cannot prevent myself from craving something, then would completely eliminating be the only option? Certainly smoking has a negative impact on my life, and I am preparing to quit again. But when it comes to coffee, just how bad is this? Recently I've reduced my intake to one coffee in the morning, but it is still a dependence. I can't wake up and function without having it, it makes me a bit edgy, but I still have an attachment to it that I cannot let go of and give so much importance to this morning ritual.

Should I even bother worrying about this, or should I just be grateful that I cut down on the caffeine and focus all energy on smoking which is a more significant problem?

I'm not sure if there is one obvious answer to this or not, I'm just curious what you all think.

Thanks!

Brian

Find your reason to quit and let that be your motivation.

Do you have kids? Then quit so that you can watch them grow.

Married? Then quit so that you can grow old together in GOOD HEALTH.

Broke? Then quit because it will save you a lot of money. Donate part of the money you are saving to the poor or an animal shelter.

Have a family member that died because of their addiction? Then quite because you don't want to end up just like them.

I use to smoke well over a pack a day of unfiltered cigarettes for close to 10 years. It got so out of hand that I was rolling my own tobacco to keep costs down. I smoked all the time: Waking up, in the bathroom, eating breakfast on the drive to work, at work, at brake, at lunch, at break again, leaving work, driving home, stuck in traffic, walking in the front door, while having dinner, after eating dinner, while watching TV, getting ready for bed, sleeping in bed, waking up in the middle of the night to smoke some more... it was brutal.

When I found out my wife was pregnant, I quit on the spot. No frustration, no withdrawal, I just quit. And my motivation was strong enough that I didn't have to "go back" to anything.

I hope you can find the strength somehow, but more importantly the key motivator to get you off your addictions.

Good luck.
  • edited March 2010
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to share that I've quit smoking. You guys are a great inspiration. I was meditating on my own death, trying to make it a vivid and peaceful experience in my mind, when I realized that I just can't let nicotine have control of my health any longer. I don't want cigarettes to be my reason for dying. I want to live a long, happy, and peaceful life, without the disgusting addiction to cigarettes.
    Thanks for the inspiration, and I want to say good luck to anyone else trying. Having someone to help support you makes a huge difference. I smoked for almost 10 years, and once I stopped I realized that most of the habit was just that, a habit. I had grown so accustomed to have a smoke when getting out of the car, or on breaks between classes, etc. It was the routine that made it so much harder. I really didn't realize how much of a grip cigarettes had on me. Shame on the tobacco companies for profiting off of people's destructive habits.
  • edited March 2010
    I'll let former smokers give you tips on quitting, since I can't really relate, but there is no need to give up caffeine entirely. Start drinking green tea. It has a low amount of caffeine and its health benefits are myriad and well-documented. If you want, you can ease into decaffeinated green tea after a while. You should still get the health benefits.

If lowering your caffeine intake is a big problem, do it gradually, reducing your intake by about 10-20 mg a day. I would suggest the same for quitting nicotine.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi everybody,

Brian

Try quiting those drugs slowly. I mean, that you should start reducing little by little the usage. If you quit abruptelly, then you'll have those nasty drug-quitting effects, to call them that way.
    Well, another advice is changing the routine. Guess you programmed yourself to drink coffee at a certain hour in the morning, so drink coffee an hour later or so.
    Or, you should try to replace slowly nicotine and coffeine with something that is healthy. For myself, I had a Coca-Cola addiction, but, I slowly replaced it with milk and home-made juice (no kiddin here) b ydrinking one day cola, the other milk.
    So, you get the idea, right ??
    Oh, one last think. Don't think going to smoke or drinking coffee. If you don't give them importance at all, maybe you'll manage to quit this nasty addiction. :D
  • edited March 2010
    I have an addiction towards cracking my knuckles!

...I guess that's less serious, huh?
  • edited March 2010
    Hello everyone. I just wanted to share that I've quit smoking. You guys are a great inspiration. I was meditating on my own death, trying to make it a vivid and peaceful experience in my mind, when I realized that I just can't let nicotine have control of my health any longer. I don't want cigarettes to be my reason for dying. I want to live a long, happy, and peaceful life, without the disgusting addiction to cigarettes.
    Thanks for the inspiration, and I want to say good luck to anyone else trying. Having someone to help support you makes a huge difference. I smoked for almost 10 years, and once I stopped I realized that most of the habit was just that, a habit. I had grown so accustomed to have a smoke when getting out of the car, or on breaks between classes, etc. It was the routine that made it so much harder. I really didn't realize how much of a grip cigarettes had on me. Shame on the tobacco companies for profiting off of people's destructive habits.
    CONGRATS are in order then I think, and I think everybody hear will be pleased to hear that you've found inspiration in the words shared!

Also, I think you have yet to experience the benefits of quitting, for whilst everyone can tell you how tough it is to quit, eventually you will also reap the benefits of having overcome your addiction (and it saves a big buck!) :)

All the best!
  • edited March 2010
    Miranda wrote: »

/applause
    78401579.4iFuvZvz.ph_2979HappyMonkatWangdueDzong.jpg
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    There are many ways to rid yourself of the nicotine addiction: Chantix (Rx in the US), nicotine gum, nicotine patches, or just plain old slow weaning off cigarettes. But as noted several times above, QUIT NOW! Not necessarily for any spiritual reason, although that's wonderful in itself, but for physical reasons. There is nothing (no thing) that is good about tobacco in any form. I see the results of it every single day at work, and it's never pretty. COPD, emphysema, lung cancer, hypertension, etc, etc, etc. If we could snap our magic fingers and make tobacco go away tomorrow, our health care crisis would just about be over.

Mtns
  • edited March 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    If we could snap our magic fingers and make tobacco go away tomorrow, our health care crisis would just about be over.

Mtns

I don't mean disrespect but I think that was somewhat of an irresponsible statement. Tobacco is a big part of the problem but nowhere near the vast majority of our problem

Only 20% of American adults smoke nowadays. Far more than that are obese, eat horrible diets, allow themselves to become sleep deprived, and don't exercise. A lot of these people also drink or do other drugs, besides nicotine, to excess.

I would love to see everyone stop smoking tomorrow, but it would only go so far.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm a cigarette smoker, and it's something that I recognize I really have to quit soon because I simply cannot afford to smoke. Health issues aside, if I had a job it might be OK, but when I crave that nicotine and I don't have any cigarettes I become an absolute monster and will do anything to get that cigarette. That's why I need to quit.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks! It feels good to finally be done with cigarettes. Blackflag- If you really want to quit, and don't have a doubt that you can, then you will. Alot of the habit is just routine that you're used to, such as lighting up at certain times. When you really start craving one, keep your mind occupied. The first day was the hardest for me. I was always a monster about it too, I got pretty angry when I needed one. Caffeine is my next hurdle- though it will be a way easier one. You guys are great. Peace!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi everybody,

Basically what I'm wondering is if I cannot prevent myself from craving something, then would completely eliminating be the only option?

The consensus of Alcoholic's Anonymous is that of complete elimination .. of course, I understand that you are talking about smoking, but addiction principles tend to be universal.

Here's an intriguing story about quitting an addictive substance:
    My husband and I stopped being friends with a couple when they became addicted to heroin. About 20 years later, we ran into them and they had quit doing heroin.

He had tried to quit several times and each time found the withdrawal symptoms to be overwhelming ... in desperation, he would go looking for his next "fix". Finally, he gathered up 3 month's worth of survival gear and had a friend drive him up and drop him off in the wilderness of northern Canada at the start of summer. Expecting the worst, he was amazed to find that he had NOT ONE SINGLE withdrawal symptom!

What does this say about the role of urges/withdrawal symptoms in maintaining habits?

A lot, apparently, as I quit smoking after 30 years (and many attempts to quit), using his story as my motivator. Refuse to participate in that urge ... recognize it, then drop it with "I don't do that anymore" and take a sip out of your water bottle instead.

I hope you find this useful.
  • edited March 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Here's an intriguing story about quitting an addictive substance:
    My husband and I stopped being friends with a couple when they became addicted to heroin. About 20 years later, we ran into them and they had quit doing heroin.

He had tried to quit several times and each time found the withdrawal symptoms to be overwhelming ... in desperation, he would go looking for his next "fix". Finally, he gathered up 3 month's worth of survival gear and had a friend drive him up and drop him off in the wilderness of northern Canada at the start of summer. Expecting the worst, he was amazed to find that he had NOT ONE SINGLE withdrawal symptom!

That is so cool.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    satx wrote: »
    I don't mean disrespect but I think that was somewhat of an irresponsible statement. Tobacco is a big part of the problem but nowhere near the vast majority of our problem

Only 20% of American adults smoke nowadays. Far more than that are obese, eat horrible diets, allow themselves to become sleep deprived, and don't exercise. A lot of these people also drink or do other drugs, besides nicotine, to excess.

I would love to see everyone stop smoking tomorrow, but it would only go so far.

I have to disagree. Easily 75% of the patients I see on a daily basis owe part of all of their illness to tobacco in some form. I just call it like I see it. Also, only 20% *overall* of Americans smoke. In my area it's closer to 50% of those over about 15 years of age.

Mtns