Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

No Buddha in a (expletive deleted) foxhole!

I'm a veteran of the U.S. Air Force. I also am involved in veteran's affairs, specifically I volunteer at the local VA Hospital and also I belong to the local American Legion post.
I was wearing a necklace with the Sanskrit "Om Mani Padme Hum" mantra on it and a guy asked me "What are you wearing?" I explained to him what it was and he looked at me incredulously. He then asked me "Why are you wearing that?"
I told him I was a Buddhist and I like to wear it because I like how it looks. He then said "Their isn't any (f******) Buddha in a (G**D***) foxhole." I was stunned. I replied that it's unfortunate you believe this way and walked away.

My question is how do you react to overtly hostile people like this? I've debated religion on a non hostile way with both Christians and Muslims, and in the end we all tend to smile and go on our ways, but I've never had to hear this before.
Thank you

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I've heard that one before. I often am in religious chatrooms and I will remind you that there is very much ignorance, anger, and greed in people. Immaturity I imagine.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Why react at all? What's the problem?
  • edited January 2010
    So we shouldn't react at all? What about the tizzy of the Brit Hume comment? I'm not going to sit there and argue with the guy, it's obvious he isn't going to want to listen as his cup is already full of tea.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Ask him which he'd rather lose when he is in a foxhole. His gun or god? :D
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It's not really a matter of should or shouldn't. But what comes up in you which creates the sense that you need to react in some way?

The Brit Hume tizzy was just that: a tizzy. If misconceptions are calmly and factually corrected as they arise, where's the problem?
  • edited January 2010
    So the correct reaction to this is to calmly and factually corrected as it arise? You're honestly confusing me here with your line of logic. On one hand you say "Why react at all? What's the problem" then you're telling me to calmly correct any misconception as they arise. Anything you do from the point of discussion is a reaction. Whether to walk away, let tempers flare, etc. is a reaction to the discussion.
  • edited January 2010
    If i were speaking to the guy i would imediately feel threatened by the comment. This would lead to the beginning of a fight or flight physical response. At this point i would remind myself i am 'at home with balance' using a technique of visualisation i have of detachment.

Then i would try to decide if the guy was what i call a 'shark' - this is my ownb way of knowing if they were open enough to engage in a true meeting of minds conversation or were about to chew me up and spit me out. I would then either talk or not.

I have conflict on a daily basis and i have learnt to spot the 'sharks' - they will simply drain my goodwill and patience...:rolleyes:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I knew a monk who was getting on a subway in New York, wearing his robes of course, when he was accosted by a fire-breathing "Christian" psycho-lady who screamed at him, "Do you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" He said, "Yes." Totally took the wind out of her sails.

It is often possible to use skillful means to defuse people with an agenda.

Palzang
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Even the people in my form that I usually don't get on with simply ask;
    'Is it true you're a Buddhist?' I simply reply;
    'Yes.' And that's it :) So at school I've never dealt with hostility, however, at home my brother constantly teases me about being a Buddhist. For example; last night he said;
    "What are you saying? 'Praise the Lord!'!?" I replied;
    "I don't believe in God." I'm really an Agnostic but I believe if anything out there to be a Goddess rather different to how most people view God. That shut him up for a while, however, later on he got up, kneeled down and mockingly started bowing and saying;
    "Praise the Big Fat Buddha! Praise the Big Fat Buddha!" Once again I simply told him the Buddha wasn't fat and I don't worship anybody. Then I ignored him. So that's what I do, I calmy correct them and if they continue I ignore them, however I have never been confronted violently, fortunately, so I'm afraid I can't help you their :o
    Love & Peace
    Joe :)
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I wonder if any minority view or appearance triggers the tribal instinct to defend those who are like us and attack or seek to convert those who aren't.

As a vegetarian I have encountered red faced fury simply for existing!

There is, of course, the other explanation for the angry outburst. You made him very uncomfortable by perhaps revealing that he felt very alone with no religion/beliefs to sustain him. Or he may be on the edge, heading for post traumatic stress.

Either way, compassion for him may be a correct view. It may also be expressed by picking a good moment to ask him why he was so angry. ;)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    In the heat of the moment it is difficult to remain calm and not react negatively to a potential threat. Remember to breath and try to use your clarity to understand why the person is so confrontational. If it is a serious threat, there is nothing wrong with just walking away or defending your body with an appropriate defense.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Somebody was arguing with me and telling me the Dalai Lama was a subversive agitator with a sinister agenda, and a fascist pig to boot....

I replied that first of all he'd have to find my belt level before thinking he could hit below it....

Then he told me my 'big fat Buddha was wrong'....
    To which I replied, "well as you have two out of those three wrong, you're in good company then, aren't you?"

He shut up after that....

selfbiasresistor, (could I call you SBR for short...? ;) ) the point fivebells is trying to make, is to first of all, appraise your own reaction and perception to the incident.....and the way to appraise it, is to first try to see what standpoint the speaker is coming from... In my case, this guy is well known for trying to bait me. Although he's an atheist (so he has no fundie Christian axe to grind) he dislikes any form of organised religion, and views any callings with the same suspicion, and antipathy as any other. He clubs them all together and believes it's all indoctrination.
    So, having understood where he's 'coming from', and knowing that he is so set in his ways, that no amount of reasoning or logical debate will convince him to address his views - I just treat his comments with mirth....

But the person you engaged with, came from a seat of bitterness, resentment and anger. So really, I think you did the best thing you could....

We always consider the best riposte long after the event...
    But even then, the best might not be the wisest....

What do you think you might do now, hindsight being 20-20 vision...?
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I was wearing a necklace with the Sanskrit "Om Mani Padme Hum" mantra on it...
    My personal view is your wearing of the necklace is unprofessional.

When I learned telephone counselling with a Christian group, we were taught to never evangelise. Never mention Jesus. Ever.

Your wearing of the necklace is kind of evangelising, wishing for the opportunity to share your religion.

That is my view.

My view is your wearing of the necklace gives the impression of self-cherishing rather than client centredness. It is essential to be client centred or client focused.

You are adorning yourself unnecessary.

Better to do mantra in your mind with Om Mani Padme Hum than to physically display it.

There are traumatised vets returning from foreign lands and you are displaying foreign languages in a reverential way?

As I said, my professional opinion is your wearing of your necklace is unprofessional.

Kind regards

DDhatu :)
  • edited January 2010
    You believe my wearing the necklace was "unprofessional" which, if I was in a uniform or some other "official" capacity I can agree with.
    I know that in the first post I didn't state where I was at, but I was at the Legion Bar after work with some of the guys from work. This is an open to the public type of place. Maybe subconsciously I do want people to ask (good point!) but once again, I do like what it looks like. I don't see how it can be unprofessional? I was not wearing it in a professional setting.

Thank you everyone for your replies. I believe the best course of action, for all of us, is to do our best to educate and act with compassion. I do agree that, especially for older generations, our beliefs can be seen as "voodoo", etc.
    Kind of reminds me of a story. I drove a Honda Civic and this guy who I was working with (I'm a Construction worker) asked me "Why don't you buy an American made car?" I replied "This one was the car that best suited my needs."
    He replied "I won't drive no Jap car, my dad fought them in World War II."
    I then noticed, later, he owned a BMW motorcycle. I held my tongue but wanted to ask him what was the difference between the two? Follow me?
    edited January 2010
    I have a necklace with a Greenpeace sign on it, I wear it to show I love peace, rather opposite to DharmaDhatu, I think it's important to be open about your various beliefs and to wear what reflects your personality:p
    You are correct in being compassionate, as one or two have in-other-words said, I'd find them and explain why they acted like that and take it from there, the best you can hope for is that he opoligises or explains why he said those things, hopefully he doesn't respond angrilly :o
    And the person you mentioned was very stupid I think (with the Japanese car problem) and also a hypocrit. If a close friend or relative was killed by a, Japanese person lets say, and later I met a Japanese person I would not act any more differently to anybody I meet, infact I very much enjoy meeting people from a different country or belief, I find I have very interesting conversations with them :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    I wear a mala bead bracelet almost always. I do not do it for other people and even if someone else is threatened by it or feels I am evangelizing all I can say is too bad that is their own fear. I do not mind if someone asks about it. I do not mind if a christian is wearing a cross and I do not think they are preaching their religion by wearing it. It is not unprofessional in any way unless your uniform specifically prohibits you from wearing it.
    edited January 2010
    I have some Buddhist tattoos. Better slice them off now, in case anyone sees them and thinks I am evangelising.

DD - I think there are many reasons for varying our outward appearance. Should monks and nuns discard their robes as objects which you could also interpret as 'evangelising'?

Surely, it is not the appearance which matters, but the intention behind it.
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe,

I was just looking at some Lion buddhist tattoos as I saw this post. What do you have?
  • edited January 2010
    Hmmm.. this angry, sad and defeated guy may be right.
    In war where there is just, sadness...anger.. the desire to kill and fear to survive...this place is so sick. It may be the farthest place away from Buddha, Even though Buddha IS there, it's the hardest place to REALIZE or see that it is there..

the poisons are at their strongest... so our potential for clarity.. ..or...rather.. we are at our weakest...

what this guy is saying basically is "there isnt any fkin water in the fkin desert"

there actually is, but if u are dehydrated in the desert, u hardly stand a chance to find water..he's right its so scarce..
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe,

I was just looking at some Lion buddhist tattoos as I saw this post. What do you have?

I'll PM so as not to derail the thread. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    some of the times if you listen closely to people who are very angry, you can imagine and see that they are really in a pressure cooker, and there are many walls around them and rather than yelling at you personally, they are yelling at the walls
    Palzang wrote: »
    I knew a monk who was getting on a subway in New York, wearing his robes of course, when he was accosted by a fire-breathing "Christian" psycho-lady who screamed at him, "Do you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?" He said, "Yes." Totally took the wind out of her sails.

It is often possible to use skillful means to defuse people with an agenda.

Palzang
    ha ha ha
    that's good
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    I have a necklace with a Greenpeace sign on it, I wear it to show I love peace, rather opposite to DharmaDhatu, I think it's important to be open about your various beliefs and to wear what reflects your personality:p
    You are correct in being compassionate, as one or two have in-other-words said, I'd find them and explain why they acted like that and take it from there, the best you can hope for is that he opoligises or explains why he said those things, hopefully he doesn't respond angrilly :o
    And the person you mentioned was very stupid I think (with the Japanese car problem) and also a hypocrit. If a close friend or relative was killed by a, Japanese person lets say, and later I met a Japanese person I would not act any more differently to anybody I meet, infact I very much enjoy meeting people from a different country or belief, I find I have very interesting conversations with them :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe

I don't have any problem with wearing something that denotes your beliefs (I've been known to do the same myself on occasion), but I think what's more important is to actually embody those beliefs. Then your physical adornments become superfluous.

Speaking of Japanese prejudice reminds me of when we were building our Amitabha stupa in Sedona, Arizona. We had to get a permit from the city, so there had to be a public hearing. The only person who had a problem with it was a near neighbor whose house would overlook the stupa. The reason she had a problem with it? Her son had been killed by the Japanese in WWII! So figure that one out: we're not Japanese, we don't follow a Japanese form of Buddhism, but somehow she made a connection to the Japanese. Weird! But irony of ironies, the old codger died off shortly after we got the permit, and her house ended up housing our stupa crew that was building it! Hopefully she got some merit out of that anyway.

Palzang-san
  • edited January 2010
    When someone has anger issues, it doesn’t much matter what you wear. These people are in pain, and they need to throw some of that pain out of them selves, and at someone else.

(It doesn't work. But they have not yet learned this.)

They will be angry at your shoe size, if there is nothing else. ; ^ )

Never react while your own emotions are still excitable and reactive. Step back and take a few deep breaths, and do whatever else you usually do to calm yourself. Put a gentle smile on your face and size up the situation from a calm place within you. Than simply do whatever helps to put the other person at their ease as well.

You may actually end up friends.

However, do not put up with physical violence against your person. That would be carrying a good thing too far.

Warm Regard,
    S9
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited January 2010
    My personal reaction would be to ignore the guy. I've got bigger problems on my plate than whether or not someone agrees with my religious beliefs and military occupation.

Speaking of which I'm under 30 days left in theater, looking forward to getting home soon.
  • edited January 2010
    bushinoki- hope you make it home safely.
    edited January 2010
    Now, now Palzang, that is a bit suspicious :hrm:
    This reminds me of a boy named Adam who goes to my school and I have come to the conclusion hates me but desperately tries to make up a reason for it... It all started a few years ago in Primary School where he thought I fancied a girl he fancied (who would never ever go out with him and who I've never fancied) so he and a group of what I thought were my friends bullied me all year, the worst being hit with a ball and chasen with a bramble :lol: I just laugh at them now but it wasn't very good then... Anyway in 2009 in September I became a vegetarian and when he heard I was one he said 'I don't mix with veggies' I mean who the heck does that!!??:confused::p
    Bushinoki, I agree with you :)
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Joe-
    I empathize with the bullied part. I suffered my fair share too in grade school as well. I grew up in small Tennessee which, in America, is identified with the Bible Belt. I think me and my brother, at least at the time, were the only non-Christians at school. That went over like a lead balloon. My parents actually threatened a lawsuit because they had, in a public school, Bible study class. Needless to say, we moved to a more liberal part of the state and it was like night and day. Hang in there kid! :)
    Love and Peace
    edited January 2010
    Thanks, Levi, is it?
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Wouldn't it be important to offer kind thoughts to this angry and obviously very scared man who yelled at you, Selfbiasresistor? Imagine you were his mother, or put yourself in his shoes. Perhaps he has lost his faith and feels very alone and insecure and frightened.... poor guy, maybe he envys your faith?

Just a thought.
    edited January 2010
    :thumbsup: Bodi
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Bodi wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be important to offer kind thoughts to this angry and obviously very scared man who yelled at you, Selfbiasresistor? Imagine you were his mother, or put yourself in his shoes. Perhaps he has lost his faith and feels very alone and insecure and frightened.... poor guy, maybe he envys your faith?

Just a thought.

Ditto. If you cannot replace whatever angry feelings you get with compassion then at least accept your anger and reason out why your anger or hurt feelings are not productive or helpful in any way.

Just let it go. He is entitled to his opinion and if he doesn't know a decent way to express it that is his problem.

What you did was right outwardly. You told him what you had to say and walked away. Now it's time to let it go inwardly too :)
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • edited January 2010
    I love your attitude Deshy, great example of real life practice here. Thanks heaps!
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Ask him which he'd rather lose when he is in a foxhole. His gun or god? :D

oh, that's good.

Someone said the same to me, but politely: When tragedy striksw, you will turn to god".

My calm response was: "I don't know but I doubt it. BUT...neither will I blame him."

He had no response for that.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Bodi wrote: »
    I love your attitude Deshy, great example of real life practice here. Thanks heaps!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  • edited January 2010
    There is nothing better to takes the wind out of an angry person’s sail than to agree with them. I am not saying you should out and out lie to them, but rather to look for a way that they are right and agree.

Just a laughing statement like, “You can say that again,” can make them pause long enough to loose the thread of their own anger. It is confusing not to see another person react in kind.

Remember this:

Very often, they are not angry with you. You aren’t that important in their life. They are probably just angry at everything, and mostly at themselves.

Also:

Often what the person is saying in out loud, in words, isn’t the more important thing that they are actually saying to you.

What they are actually saying might be something about their own pain and misery, and how trapped they feel, or how powerless and confused they feel. So don’t (knee jerk) defend, but don’t accept the pain they want to share either. Step back from the whole situation for a second or 2, and THINK, “What can I do for this person to make it better, in some tiny way?”

Peace begins with you, if you are waiting for it to arrive, you may wait forever.

Buddhism gives us that space we need in order to be compassionate,
    S9
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Peace begins with you, if you are waiting for it to arrive, you may wait forever.

That's perfect
  • edited January 2010
    Magwang,

M: Someone said the same to me, but politely: When tragedy strikes, you will turn to god".

S9: Actually, I bit when tragedy strikes is when the biggest percentage of people who finally end up turning from God, do it. That is when you find that all of the promises about comfort and protection are not worth the paper that they are written on. We could probably get God for breech of contract. ; ^ )

M: "I don't know but I doubt it. BUT...neither will I blame him."

S9: Stopping the ‘blame game’ is the hardest thing that ego-self will ever do. But until we do that, we can’t pick up the hammer and start rebuilding things (our life) into what we want it to be. Until then, we can only sing songs, and wait on a savior.

Q: "Sit down and do something."

Peace is a skill,
    S9
    edited January 2010
    I would reply;
    "When tragedy strikes I'll try and get over it by meditating and helping others, I doubt I'd turn to God."
    And about the fire-breathing (wow- never met someone who breathed fire) Christian I would reply;
    "No, not really, I like to live in the present anyway." I'm not at all saying my way's correct, it's just what I'd do, I tell it how it is and don't let people misunderstand me.
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    Later
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I told him I was a Buddhist and I like to wear it because I like how it looks. He then said "Their isn't any (f******) Buddha in a (G**D***) foxhole." I was stunned. I replied that it's unfortunate you believe this way and walked away.

Forgive them for they know not what they do.
    edited January 2010
    Later
    ?
  • edited January 2010
    Hi Joe,

RE: S9: Later

J: ?

S9: I put a post in the wrong place by accident, but expected to come back, later. HE/HE/HE

And as the fates would have it:

Here I am. ; ^ ) (The crowd claps wildly!)

J: When tragedy strikes I'll try and get over it by meditating and helping others.

S9: Meditation helps us to get into that place of peace within all of us.

And later:

When we can get outside of ourselves, and think about others, we are less apt to get depressed by passing circumstances. Because, self-involvement can all too easily grow into being overly self-involvement, and that is an elevator going down.

Peace,
    S9
    edited January 2010
    *and A round of applause*