Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gods, spirits, and all that jazz.

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
If Buddhism is atheistic, why so much talk about ghosts, realms, spirits, deities, gods, or other supernatural entities? I guess rebirth is stretching it for me, but I sort of understand the logic underlying the concept.

What sparked this question was a reply on the thread http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5077, from Jinzang. I feel like traditions and silly superstitions begin to take away from the heart of the practice. Am I out of line here? :confused:

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Hi rrom, Buddhism doesn't require you to believe in a god, but Buddhism is not atheistic.
  • edited March 2010
    Do you know where I can find more information about theism in buddhism, then?
    Thanks
  • edited March 2010
    These are just my opinions:

Is Buddhism athestic?

No, Buddhism does not go about pronouncing that there is no god.

Is Buddhism theistic?

No, Buddhism does not concern itself with a personal-creator God found in the theistic religions.

Is Buddhism a religion?

Some people prefer not to call Buddhism a religion; they simply see it as Buddha-dharma, which means the truth seen and experienced by the Buddha. Buddhism is a spiritual path. It is a teaching and a way of practice.

Others may prefer to call it a religion, but a non-theistic religion that is not concerned with a personal-creator God.

What about Deities in Buddhism?

Read this or google for more topics on Buddhist Deities.
  • edited March 2010
    rrom wrote: »
    If Buddhism is atheistic, why so much talk about ghosts, realms, spirits, deities, gods, or other supernatural entities?

These are cultural aspects of Buddhism that were around long before the Buddha. Some people take them literally, some metaphorically and some not at all. Its pretty much the same Dharma either way.
    I guess rebirth is stretching it for me, but I sort of understand the logic underlying the concept.

Stretch it pull it break it twist it try to refute and if you cant the theory must be one that stand strong for you.
    I feel like traditions and silly superstitions begin to take away from the heart of the practice. Am I out of line here?

Meh... we cant know how much those "silly superstitions" were added after the Buddha's death. I think you are very not out of line to question them.

Question everything!:)

Mat
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    If Buddhism is atheistic, why so much talk about ghosts, realms, spirits, deities, gods, or other supernatural entities?
    I think you'll find this is indicative of Mahayana Buddhism, specifically Tibetan.
    These concepts do not exist in Theravada Buddhism, as a whole.
    I guess rebirth is stretching it for me, but I sort of understand the logic underlying the concept.
    i'm glad you said 'rebirth' as opposed to 'reincarnation'... There are many aspects to viewing re-birth, including the famous "You cannot look at the same river twice"... that is to say, no matter how much you might think you are, you're not the same person you were yesterday.... nor will you be the same tomorrow. You're in a constant state of flux..... who can honestly say this will stop when you die? As Voltaire famously said: "It should be no more surprising to be born twice, as it was to be born once."....
    I feel like traditions and silly superstitions begin to take away from the heart of the practice. Am I out of line here? :confused:
    Simple.
    If it feels good, do it. When in doubt, don't.
    That's a pretty good premise to carry with you always, in all ways.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »

These concepts do not exist in Theravada Buddhism, as a whole.
    :confused:

From the verses of Sharing and Aspiration I chanted daily (Theravada).

"Through the goodness that arises from my practice,
    May the highest gods and evil forces;
    Celestial beings,
    guardian spirits of the Earth and the Lord of Death;
    May those who are friendly, indifferent or hostile;
    May all beings receive the blessings of my life."

These concepts most certainly do exist in Theravada, but like Buddhism as a whole they are not the point. The account of the Buddha's Enlightenment is full of magical entities. There are many Theravadins who literally believe in the various heavens and hells with various inhabitants, Pretas and so forth. It isnt just cultural, it's part and parcel of traditional Theravada that is ignored by Western students.
    In Thailand part of the power of meditating in a cemetary for instance is derived from a common belief in Pretas. Zen in the west with the exception of Avalokateshvara, (understood as a purely symbolic ) is devoid of Gods, and magical thinking is seen as a dangerous sidetrack, but again in Asia it's often a different story. In my expereince the least magical forms of Buddha Dharma are stripped down western Vipassana, and stripped down western Zen. But these are not representative of Buddhism as a whole.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    If Buddhism is atheistic, why so much talk about ghosts, realms, spirits, deities, gods, or other supernatural entities? I guess rebirth is stretching it for me, but I sort of understand the logic underlying the concept.

What sparked this question was a reply on the thread http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5077, from Jinzang. I feel like traditions and silly superstitions begin to take away from the heart of the practice. Am I out of line here? :confused:
    If you don't believe it that's fine. The traditions sometimes have practices linked to those. Some deities are seen just as archetypes, some are seen, usually, as real (as in the deities in the six realms).

Tibetan Buddhism is much more linked to that idea than others because it sometimes mixes up with Bon. Chöd, for example, is a practice where you offer your body for the spirits to do whatever they want. :-P But that is an extreme example.

There are whole books written on separating Buddhism from cultural influences. If my memory doesn't fail me "Buddhism is not what you think" and "The Naked Buddha" are some examples.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited March 2010
    :confused:

Gotta agree with mah man Richard. The Pali suttas are chockful of references to such things. Now, whether or not a practitioner takes them literally, figurately, or chucks them out the window entirely, depends... but the concepts most certainly do exist in Theravada.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I did quantify 'as a whole'....:)
    Let's just say I find that they don't hold as much prominence and veneration as one might see in Tibetan (Mahayana) Buddhism. That is to say, whilst the likes of Avalokitesvara, Tara, the Blue Medicine Buddha and Yama, for example, are pretty much in daily evidence, Theravada does not make as much of such matters....

I do agree there are devas and such, but they don't feature as prominently - or as quotidian deities to whom one dedicates mantras - as in Tibetan Buddhism.

As this is the beginners forum, I was trying to keep it basic and simple.
    Not that corrections aren't accepted, where corrections are due.
    I was merely trying to 'simplify'.
    ;)
  • edited March 2010

The problem is different definitions for these. When Buddhism speaks of devas (gods) or hungry ghosts, etc., it is speaking of existence on different spiritual planes. Unlike the "gods" of the Greek pantheon, or the one God of Judaism/Christianity/Islam, the gods/deities/devas of Buddhism have no power on our plane of existence. It is said that contact can be made, and that's about it.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    (Testing my new policy of pointing out sources instead of speaking in my own words :P)

This is from What Buddhists Believe by Dr. K. Sri Dhammanada, freely avaliable at Buuddhanet.
    According to Him [The Buddha], other forms of life exist in other parts of the
    universe. The Buddha has mentioned that there are thirty-one planes
    of existence within the universes. They are:
    4 States of unhappiness or sub human realms: (life in hells,
    animal life, ghost-worlds and demon-worlds)
    1 Human world.
    6 Devalokas or heavenly realms
    16 Rupalokas or Realms of Fine-Material Forms.
    4 Arupalokas or Formless Realms.
    Devas are more fortunate than human beings as far as
    sensual pleasures are concerned. They also possess certain
    powers which human beings usually lack. However, the
    powers of these deities are limited because they are also transitory
    beings. They exist in happy abodes and enjoy their life for a longer
    period than human beings do. When they have exhausted all the
    effects of their good karma, which they gathered during previous
    births, these deities pass away and are reborn somewhere else according
    to their residual good and bad karma earned on previous lives.
    There is definitely no Teaching in Buddhism to the effect that
    Buddhists can attain Nirvana by praying to any deity. Buddhists
    believe that ‘purity and impurity depend on oneself. No one from
    outside can purify another.’
    Buddhahood and Nirvana can be attained without any help
    from an external source. Therefore, Buddhists can practise their
    religion with or without the deities.