Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the first 2 questions

newtechnewtech Veteran
edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello,
Lately iv been reading about buddhism (and meditating), so obviously im having some doubts:

1) according to this sentence:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Siddharta Gautama

Question: Why so many buddhist believe in transmigration (rebirth) ?. I mean without observation or analysis.

2) Q: If enlightment means stop any form of suffering, what about physical pain ? can be stopped?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    Hello,
    Lately iv been reading about buddhism (and meditating), so obviously im having some doubts:

1) according to this sentence:

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Siddharta Gautama

Question: Why so many buddhist believe in transmigration (rebirth) ?. I mean without observation or analysis.
    I think this is somewhat presumptuous... I cannot say I have ever met a Buddhist who has accepted the notion of rebirth WITHOUT observation or analysis.
    Oh, and re-birth is NOT transmigration.
    I think here, you misunderstand the notion of re-birth.
    There is no transmigration....

2) Q: If enlightment means stop any form of suffering, what about physical pain ? can be stopped?
    No. You just deal with it as you would any form of suffering. It's impermanent, and at one point, it will stop, in one way or another.
    Pain happens.
    Whether it's caused by hammering your thumb whilst trying to hit a nail, or by a deep and spreading cancerous growth.
    They're both degrees of pain, and both felt. And both come, and both go.

No big deal.....

Thanks a lot!
    :)
    A pleasure.
    Welcome!
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    This was said by the Blessed One, said by the Arahant, so I have heard: "Monks, there are these two forms of the Unbinding property. Which two? The Unbinding property with fuel remaining, & the Unbinding property with no fuel remaining.
    And what is the Unbinding property with fuel remaining? There is the case where a monk is an arahant whose fermentations have ended, who has reached fulfillment, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, ended the fetter of becoming, and is released through right gnosis. His five sense faculties still remain and, owing to their being intact, he is cognizant of the agreeable & the disagreeable, and is sensitive to pleasure & pain. His ending of passion, aversion, & delusion is termed the Unbinding property with fuel remaining.
    And what is the Unbinding property with no fuel remaining? There is the case where a monk is an arahant whose fermentations have ended, who has reached fulfillment, finished the task, laid down the burden, attained the true goal, ended the fetter of becoming, and is released through right gnosis. For him, all that is sensed, being unrelished, will grow cold right here. This is termed the Unbinding property with no fuel remaining."

[Iti 38]
    While the arahant is still alive, he/she still experiences the five aggregates, but they do not burn with the fires of passion, aversion, or delusion. When the arahant passes away, there is no longer any experience of aggregates here or anywhere else.

From http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.2.028-049.than.html#n-044.1
  • edited March 2010
    1) Rebirth is part of the package. It isn't something that is self-evident/obvious on a conceptual level other than the way it is expressed in the teachings, but we gain confidence that we will have a better understanding of this concept through our own deepening levels of realization/awakening.

2) Physical pain never ceases. The goal of Buddhism is the end of all mental suffering/defilements. Physical pain is there for a reason, to let us know that there is something wrong with the body. One who has abandoned all illusion of self, such as the Buddha, can merely acknowledge the existence of the pain without reacting to it. In other words, there is no emotional attachment to the sensation. An Arahant can be itchy yet not scratch, etc.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Rebirth is part of the package.
    Rebirth is definitely not part of the package.

In MN 117, the Buddha advised rebirth view sides with merit (encourages morality) but also sides with attachment and defilement (asava).

In MN 117, the Buddha advised rebirth view is not a factor of the path.

Best to get it right rather than turn wise people away from genuine Buddha-Dhamma.

:smilec:
    "And what is right view? Right view, I tell you, is of two sorts: There is right view with effluents [asava], siding with merit, resulting in the acquisitions [lit: 'burdens']; and there is noble right view, without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the other world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously born beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the other after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit & results in acquisitions.

"And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of wisdom, the strength of wisdom, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html
    edited March 2010
    If enlightment means stop any form of suffering, what about physical pain ? can be stopped?
    Welcome

To answer your question, you must examine & learn for yourself what suffering is.

The Buddha taught suffering comes from craving & attachment, from wanting & self-clinging.

If your mind accepts physical pain rather than resists it, does your mind suffer?

Investigate this.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:smilec:
  • edited March 2010
    Tell that to all the Buddhists of the world who believe in rebirth, Dhatu. I accept the concept of rebirth, though I have not realized it yet. Many a fight has ensued over the subject, but the fact is that the majority of Buddhists do believe in it and there is ample evidence to support that the Buddha did in fact teach it. I do not seek to start a fight over it here, because even I have had trouble with this in the past and after a concentrated mental effort gained the wisdom to simply accept the possibilities.

Letting go of pointless debates that can not end in a consensus (for they never do, on this subject) is a mark of wisdom. Let's do that. ;)
    edited March 2010
    Hi

This is from the Kalama Sutta, where the Buddha states:

(1) If there is another world...and (2) if there is not another world.

The Buddha was democratic, offering teachings and considerations to those who believed in rebirth and also teachings for those who did not.

Rebirth is definitely not part of the package and never was.

In the Buddha's first three sermons that produced many enlightened beings, rebirth was not even mentioned.

The Buddha generally taught rebirth to those (Hindus) who already believed in it and who asked the Buddha about how they could gain a favourable rebirth.

edited March 2010
    Tell that to all the Buddhists of the world who believe in rebirth, Dhatu. I accept the concept of rebirth, though I have not realized it yet. Many a fight has ensued over the subject, but the fact is that the majority of Buddhists do believe in it and there is ample evidence to support that the Buddha did in fact teach it. I do not seek to start a fight over it here, because even I have had trouble with this in the past and after a concentrated mental effort gained the wisdom to simply accept the possibilities.

Letting go of pointless debates that can not end in a consensus (for they never do, on this subject) is a mark of wisdom. Let's do that. ;)
    Since when was the majority correct? The Buddha called the majority puttujana.

There is very little evidence the Buddha taught meta-physical rebirth.

The evidence merely points to the Buddha teaching karmic or moral rebirth.

Your views about jhana are superstitious.

I quoted already wisdom is not connected to rebirth. Rebirth is for morality (sila).

The debates are not pointless because the Buddha said rebirth view is not a factor of the path.

How can a practitioner take full reliance on the dispassion & letting go rooted in the view of impermanence, unsatisfactoriness & not-self if they believe in rebirth.

Even the Buddha himself called rebirth belief "a safe bet". It is sitting on the fence.

The Buddha taught lokiya (mundane) dhamma and lokuttara (supramundane) dhamma.

These are two distinct things that have no relationship to eachother whatsoever.

To both believe in rebirth and to gain enlightenment is impossible because there is no complete relinquishment.

This is a beginners forum and those with beginners mind ask relevent intelligent questions.

• ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    DD: In the Buddha's first three sermons that produced many enlightened beings, rebirth was not even mentioned.
    The Buddha generally taught rebirth to those (Hindus) who already believed in it and who asked the Buddha about how they could gain a favourable rebirth.

Well DD, if the teaching of rebirth is not take as truth as you mentioned , then there are certainly no fruits of enlightenment the Nikayan practitioners need to seek,
    The four fruits of Nikayan enlightenment are i) stream winner ( Skt. srota-apanna ), once-returner ( Skt. sakridaamin ) , non-returner ( Skt. agnagamin ) and the stage of Arhat.
    All the above mentioned - those fruits of Nikayan enlightenment do required the practitioners to obtain at lease few successful lifetimes, if there are no vehicle of the rebirth , what and who are transfer about for the accumulation of spirtual cultivation ? ( who or what to do the once return and non-return, etc ?? )
    Moreover , the lay practitioners of Nikayan are mostly still a distance to the above four Nikayan fruits , so without the concept of rebirth - if this implied that there are likely no hope for their practice at all? :p
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    DD: Kalama Sutta, where the Buddha states..
    as many has reminded us, the audience in the Kalama sutta were the non-Buddhist practitioners, very new friend in their first encounterment with Buddha Dharma, the Buddha preached in according to their mind ( their capacity and karmic relationship with the Buddha Dharma ) , so the Buddha certainly not teach them directly according to his enlightenment that similarly to his close disciples , the Buddha merely empolyed expedient means to lead the new seekers into one of his dharma gates
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010

Good idea.
    I second the motion.:mad: :rolleyes:

Carry on.....
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    New Tech,

I haven't come across that translation before? Where did it come from? Seems to me that the last bit...
    But after observation and analysis...
    ... was added to. A good translation can be found here; http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/soma/wheel008.html

But anyway, the kalama sutta actually gives you a helping hand in what to do when faced with concepts like rebirth...
    ...when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blamable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them...

...when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them...

It's just a shame that everyone focuses on the first part of the sutta and ignores the rest. :nonono:

Nios.
  • edited March 2010
    At the physical level I've always seen rebirth as obvious, once part of you was a tree ,an ant even a oxygen atom forming in an exploding star 10 billion years ago. Mentally you are the product of the interactions of those around you, which are the interactions of those around them, stretching back to the start of life, even before this there are the interaction of other stars, perhaps other life. I've always thought that is the meaning noself, realizing that I am part of everything. So it's true I'm John Doe reborn, but for me it's something more wonderful I'm part of a countless number of thoughts, beings and actions reborn.
    edited March 2010
    I promised myself that I would avoid going into doctrine and just talk about my personal experience, so I would like to talk about my personal experience with rebirth.

For starters, I haven't seen my previous lives or anything like that and I didn't read a lot about these stories where people talk about theirs (although I find Tenzin Palmo's story very inspiring).

From my personal experience, I would say people usually believe in many things without observation or analysis. The proof of this fact lies, for example, in gossip. You hear someone saying how John is such a horrible person and, when you meet him, your idea will be tainted by what you have been told, even though you have NO idea of "John" coming from direct observation or analysis.

I do believe in rebirth, but I didn't use to. In my personal experience nothing changed much, except when I have a very close experience of death, like when a car almost ran me over the other day. The idea that came in my mind is that I had to practice because "look what almost happened, where would I end up after that?".

So I would say that, in my personal observation, afterlife ideas in general only come into full effect when you have a clear consciousness of death, which most of us don't. Believe me when say knowing that "you will die someday" and knowing "you WILL die any of these days" is very different.

When the experience fades, so does the motivation to practice coming from the idea of rebirth. It becomes one of those reasons we have to fix something that doesn't really bother us, and can wait indefinitely. "Oh I will fix one of the basement lights", and it never gets fixed.

So I guess the real question is how we can find motivation to practice, and not whether or not rebirth is real. We know enlightenment is supposed to be juicy, but how seriously do we take it? Are we meditating? Are we behaving in an ethical manner? Are we studying or trying to know more about it? In a wider perspective, how our motivation works?

Do we only do things when we are hit by craving or aversion? It seems to be the case. When we feel the fear of death in our gut, when we say "I don't want this to happen, not now" and truly mean it, it is when we start worrying because we are afraid. Rebirth aside, all of us know we will die someday, all of us know something can happen that can reduce our ability to practice or stop it altogether in this very lifetime. Also, we know, we can see how strongly we are dragged through life by aversion and craving, we feel these two in our bones everyday, but how seriously do we take the idea of uprooting it?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for that post Namelessriver. Very nice :) I like what you're saying about motivation.

Nios.
    edited March 2010
    ansanna wrote: »
    Well DD, if the teaching of rebirth is not take as truth as you mentioned , then there are certainly no fruits of enlightenment the Nikayan practitioners need to seek...
    The fruits are here & now happiness and the end of suffering, which is something mental.

The Buddha said Nibbana is the highest happiness. The Buddha said the spiritual life has only one goal, namely, the unshakeable liberation of mind.
    Moreover , the lay practitioners of Nikayan are mostly still a distance to the above four Nikayan fruits , so without the concept of rebirth - if this implied that there are likely no hope for their practice at all?
    Enlightenment comes from right view. A layperson can develop liberation from suffering via right view. But the views you hold are defeatist.

edited March 2010
    I have a very close experience of death, like when a car almost ran me over the other day. The idea that came in my mind is that I had to practice because "look what almost happened, where would I end up after that?".
    Didn't you post recently beginners should study emptiness and anatta?

edited March 2010
    as many has reminded us, the audience in the Kalama sutta were the non-Buddhist practitioners, very new friend in their first encounterment with Buddha Dharma, the Buddha preached in according to their mind ( their capacity and karmic relationship with the Buddha Dharma ) , so the Buddha certainly not teach them directly according to his enlightenment that similarly to his close disciples , the Buddha merely empolyed expedient means to lead the new seekers into one of his dharma gates
    who are the "many" you are referring to...internet propaganda?

the Buddha taught the Kalama with intelligence and reasonableness...

the Buddha did not teach his close disciples about rebirth...

please find me an account where the Buddha taught rebirth the the five disciples, Sariputta, Mogallana or Maha Kassapa?

because Ananda was unenlightened, Buddha sometimes taught him rebirth...

but Ananda was the Buddha's attendant rather than a "close disciple"...

if you wish to learn what the close disciples talked about with eachother, start with MN 32...

• edited March 2010
    The issue of rebirth is an argument that can not be won, by either side. Our best bet is to acknowledge the concept and to keep it in mind. Only self-realization will make clear that which we can not see.

Belief is attachment; disbelief is attachment. If you get to the point where you think other people are clearly wrong and you must defend that attachment, the result is dukkha. There can be no release without Right Effort to abandon these wrong views.

As with many other things, the middle path is the most direct road to take.
    edited March 2010
    So I would say that, in my personal observation, afterlife ideas in general only come into full effect when you have a clear consciousness of death, which most of us don't. Believe me when say knowing that "you will die someday" and knowing "you WILL die any of these days" is very different.
    When one has a clear consciousness of death, one penetrates the truths of impermanence & emptiness. The Buddha said clear consciousness of death gains a foothold in the Deathless.
    The Blessed One said, "Mindfulness of death, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit & great benefit. It gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its final end. Therefore you should develop mindfulness of death."

Maranassati Sutta
    There is a big difference between clear consciousness of death and the sense of "I" am going to die. Death itself erases the "I" whereas "I" has alot of "I" and leads to thoughts of continuity.
    When the experience fades, so does the motivation to practice coming from the idea of rebirth.
    What kind of motivation and practice are you actually referring to?

When the Buddha-To-Be had clear consciousness of death he sought Nibbana, which was found via wisdom of impermanence, unsatifactoriness & not-self.

One practises anatta, abandoning the "I" and "mine" to be free from the dukkha of birth, aging, illness and death.

So again, what kind of motivation and practice are you actually referring to?

So I guess the real question is how we can find motivation to practice, and not whether or not rebirth is real. We know enlightenment is supposed to be juicy, but how seriously do we take it?
    Having sex with a volumptuous woman or hunky man is supposed to be juicy.

Enlightenment is not juicy. Enlightenment is like going to a hospital, asking for medicine and taking the medicine.
    Also, we know, we can see how strongly we are dragged through life by aversion and craving, we feel these two in our bones everyday, but how seriously do we take the idea of uprooting it?
    What does aversion and craving have to do with anything? Enlightenment does not come from having a moral ideal.

The Buddha taught motivation or faith comes from the experience of suffering.
    "Faith, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for faith? 'Suffering' should be the reply.

Upanisa Sutta

edited March 2010
    As with many other things, the middle path is the most direct road to take.
    I already quoted the Buddha who advised rebirth belief is not a factor of the middle path.

• edited March 2010
    When I say middle path, I mean it in the sense of avoiding the extremes. More of a "way" in that sense. Otherwise, we cling to our views and struggle when our views differ from the views of others, which causes us suffering and slows our progress. How can we ever move on if our mind is forever at unease? You must obtain the wisdom that allows your mind to free itself of the attachment. I'm not saying you won't reach some stage of enlightenment otherwise, but I think it would be difficult for you.

Who do you know that can say for sure that rebirth either does or does not occur? I'm not speaking of whether the Buddha taught it or not. As much as there may be a schism between people over the issue, the fact is that it is unprovable in our scientifically-minded world. Those of us who weren't religious before Buddhism, and who never believed in anything that science couldn't test, must face the concept of rebirth and deal with it in a skillful way; not in these pointless debates, as I've already seen from many other threads.

Does this not make sense? Is there any way I can make it more clear? I ask myself this every time I submit a reply but it seems the message isn't making any real impression.
    edited March 2010
    Belief is attachment. There can be no release without Right Effort to abandon these wrong views.
    The Buddha never taught right view is attachment.

You posted the wrong view that rebirth is part of the package.

Be thankful I made the compassionate effort to remove your wrong views.

edited March 2010
    When I say middle path, I mean it in the sense of avoiding the extremes.
    You are saying your middle way.

I am interested in the Buddha's middle way rather than your middle way.

• edited March 2010
    Nevermind Dhatu. You're reading the words but not understanding them, so I must concede I am not a good teacher for you. You really should consider becoming a bhikkhu. ;)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    DD: The Buddha said Nibbana is the highest happiness. The Buddha said the spiritual life has only one goal, namely, the unshakeable liberation of mind.
    So you also implied that those doctrines in Nikayan for lay practitioners to seek to become Arhart so that could attain Nirvana are not true ? the doctrine for the goal of the 4 Nikayan fruit are not correct or merely expedient teaching ?
    Since lay practitioners seem could attain this fruits enlightenment relatively easy , which similiar to those Arhats - many have reach the same enlightened stage as the historical Buddha himself - so the doctrine of a single Buddha per Buddha period for the Sthaviravada branch is no longer hold ? ( the the Mahasamghika branch of the earlier school that there are many Buddhas per period is than correct ? )

it seems there no longer point to seek for the ordained cultivation ?
    DD: Enlightenment .. The fruits are here & now
    wow - it seems similiar to the Mahayana esoteric teaching of attaining Buddhahood in the present moment / existence - if this is due to cross-influence ?
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    the Buddha did not teach his close disciples about rebirth...
    please find me an account where the Buddha taught rebirth the the five disciples, Sariputta, Mogallana or Maha Kassapa?
    because Ananda was unenlightened, Buddha sometimes taught him rebirth...
    but Ananda was the Buddha's attendant rather than a "close disciple"...

I smiled when you attampted to limit the term for the Buddha 'close disciples"
    all the 10 discples are the Buddha's direct and close disciples , further more Nuns such as Maha Pajaapati Gotami , Khema, Uppalavanna are close disciples -
    the best yardsticks would be those attained Arahant

Arahant in Nikayan is defined as one reach the goal of Nibbana without residue remaining. - But with your new definition - it seems everyone could reach this 'enlightenment' so they are Arahants achieving Nibbana without residue remaining ?

The term Samsara in Tripitika already explains - it Because of our ignorance ( avidja ) of these Noble Truths, because of our inexperience in framing the world in their terms, we remain bound to Samsara, the wearisome cycle of birth, aging, illness, death, and rebirth.

Thro' many a birth in Sansara wandered I,
    Seeking but not finding, the builder of this house. Sorrowful is repeated birth.
    O House-builder! you are seen. You shall build no house again.
    All your rafters are broken, your ridge-pole is shattered.
    To dissolution (Nibbana) goes my mind.
    The End of Craving have I attained.
    Dhammapada (154)
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Regarding to Middle way, this is a big word in Buddha Dharma, as they are differrent layers of understanding according to each level of cultivation

<DL><DT>Middle Way ( Skt. Madhyama-pratipad ) <DD>(1) In the Nikaya teachings, it is the rejection of the two extremes of self-indulgence and self-mortification. While still a prince, Shakyamuni lived in luxury in his father's palace, but after renouncing the secular world, he abandoned worldly diversions and for years practiced as an ascetic, leading a life of deprivation and austerity. Eventually he rejected asceticism as well, and after attaining enlightenment he preached a way of life that avoids the extremes of indulgence and denial. The Medium-Length Agama Sutra, one of the four Chinese Agama sutras, terms this path the Middle Way. It is exemplified by the doctrine of the eightfold path.
    (2) In the Mahayana, as according to Nagarjuna's Treatise on the Middle Way, the true nature of all things is that they are neither born nor die, and cannot be defined by either of the two extremes of existence or nonexistence. This true nature of things is emptiness, also referred to as the Middle Way.The Treatise on the Middle Way begins: "Neither birth nor extinction, neither cessation nor permanence, neither uniformity nor diversity, neither coming nor going...." This passage is termed the eight negations, or the middle path of the eight negations, and is intended to clarify the concept of the Middle Way.
    (3) In terms of higher Mahayana, such as T'ient'ai's doctrine of the three truths, the truth of the Middle Way means that the true nature of all things is neither emptiness nor temporary existence, but exhibits the characteristics of both.
    </DD></DL>
    edited March 2010
    You're reading the words but not understanding them, so I must concede I am not a good teacher for you. You really should consider becoming a bhikkhu. ;)
    I read in one of your posts your disposition to have an overactive mind.

Brother. You are way off the mark in your three points above.

I would suggest you become a bhikkhu to learn making personal declarations about jhana and such, which are not even the goal of the Buddhist path, which remained unverified, is a big naughty.

"I" have experienced jhana. What a non-sensical statement! There is no "I" that experiences jhana.

The Buddha's path is for abandoning the "I" rather than building it up.

When your mind is ready, the teacher will come to you. When it is not, it will continue to resist.
    :lol:
    "Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles: as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them.

But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play.

"In the same way, Radha, you too should smash, scatter, & demolish form, and make it unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for form.

"You should smash, scatter, & demolish feeling, and make it unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for feeling.

"You should smash, scatter, & demolish perception, and make it unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for perception.

"You should smash, scatter, & demolish fabrications, and make them unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for fabrications.

"You should smash, scatter, & demolish consciousness and make it unfit for play. Practice for the ending of craving for consciousness — for the ending of craving, Radha, is Unbinding."

Satta Sutta
    "Therefore, Ananda, engage with me as friends and not as opponents. That will be for your long-term well-being & happiness.

Maha-suññata Sutta
    Then the thought occurred to Ven. Pukkusati: "Surely, the Teacher has come to me! Surely, the One Well-gone has come to me! Surely, the Rightly Self-awakened One has come to me!" Getting up from his seat, arranging his upper robe over one shoulder, and bowing down with his head at the Blessed One's feet, he said, "A transgression has overcome me, lord, in that I was so foolish, so muddle-headed and so unskilled as to assume that it was proper to address the Blessed One as 'friend.'

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta
    edited March 2010
    Arahant in Nikayan is defined as one reach the goal of Nibbana without residue remaining. - But with your new definition - it seems everyone could reach this 'enlightenment' so they are Arahants achieving Nibbana without residue remaining ?
    What you have said does not accord with the suttas.

Try again. :)
    "What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element with residue left.

"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant... completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all that is experienced, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.2.042-049x.irel.html#iti-044
    edited March 2010
    The term Samsara in Tripitika already explains - it Because of our ignorance ( avidja ) of these Noble Truths, because of our inexperience in framing the world in their terms, we remain bound to Samsara, the wearisome cycle of birth, aging, illness, death and rebirth.
    Your understanding here is physical rather than spiritual.

Birth & death come from self-view.

When the Buddha ended craving, attachment, becoming and self-view ended.

The Buddha taught birth & death occur "when the eye sees a form, when the ear hears a sound...etc..."

On seeing a form with the eye, he is passionate for it if it is pleasing; he is angry with it if it is displeasing. He lives with mindfulness to the body unestablished, with a limited mind, and he does not understand realistically the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Engaged as he is in favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-pleasant-nor-painful - he delights in that feeling, welcomes it, and remains holding on to it. As he does so, delight (nandi) arises in him. Now,delight in feelings (vedanàsu nandi) is clinging (upàdàna). Becoming is conditioned by his clinging; becoming conditions birth; birth conditions ageing-&-death; sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair come to be. Thus is the arising of this entire mass of suffering.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    On seeing a form with the eye, he is not passionate for it if it is pleasing; he is not angry at it if it is displeasing. He lives with attention to body established, with an immeasurable mind and he understands realistically the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having abandoned favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-pleasant-nor-painful - he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. From the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; from the cessation of clinging, the cessation of becoming; from the cessation of becoming, the cessation of birth; from the cessation of birth, ageing-&-death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief and despair cease. Thus is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering.

<O:pMahàtanhàsankhaya Sutta
    "'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said. With reference to what was it said? 'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be'... 'I shall be possessed of form'... 'I shall not be possessed of form'... 'I shall be percipient'... 'I shall not be percipient'... 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long? It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.'

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta
    "Lord, I am a feeble old man, aged, advanced in years, having come to the last stage of life. I am afflicted in body & ailing with every moment. And it is only rarely that I get to see the Blessed One & the monks who nourish the heart. May the Blessed One teach me, may the Blessed One instruct me, for my long-term benefit & happiness."

"So it is, householder. So it is. So you should train yourself: 'Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted.' That is how you should train yourself."

As he was sitting there, Ven. Sariputta said to him, "Your faculties are clear & calm, householder, your complexion pure. Have you had the opportunity today of listening to a Dhamma talk in the presence of the Blessed One?"

"How could it be otherwise, lord? I have just now been sprinkled by the Blessed One with the deathless ambrosia of a Dhamma talk."

Nakulapita Sutta
    edited March 2010
    wow - it seems similiar to the Mahayana esoteric teaching of attaining Buddhahood in the present moment / existence - if this is due to cross-influence ?
    Here, ruler of the gods, a bhikkhu has heard that nothing is worth clinging to. When a bhikkhu has heard nothing is worth clinging to, he directly knows everything; having directly known everything, he fully understands everything; having fully understood everything, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he abides contemplating impermanence in those feelings, contemplating fading away, contemplating cessation, contemplating relinquishment. Contemplating thus, he does not cling to anything in the world. When he does not cling, he is not agitated. When he is not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana. He understands: 'What had to be done has been done'. Briefly, it is in this way, ruler of the gods, that a bhikkhu is liberated in the destruction of craving, one who has reached the ultimate end.

Culatanhasankhaya Sutta
    I understand Nibbana and the path and way leading to Nibbana. And I also understand how one who has entered this path will, by realizing it for himself with direct knowledge, here and now enter upon and abide in the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom that are taintless with the destruction of the taints.

Maha-sihanada Sutta<O:p</O:p
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited March 2010
    DD: Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">"What, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element with residue left.

"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant... completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all that is experienced, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    ( to continue )
    "These, bhikkhus, are the two Nibbana-elements."
    These two Nibbana-elements were made known By the Seeing One, stable and unattached: One is the element seen here and now With residue, but with the cord of being destroyed;
    The other, having no residue for the future, Is that wherein all modes of being utterly cease. Having understood the unconditioned state, Released in mind with the cord of being destroyed, They have attained to the Dhamma-essence. Delighting in the destruction (of craving), Those stable ones have abandoned all being.

As said , the Nikayan teaching for Nirvana with remainder - also known as incomplete nirvana. it refers to those Arhats ( take note they are unlikely much chances for the laypersons to attain this level ) who had eliminated all illusions and will no longer be reborn in the six paths, but who still bound to the world of suffering as he possesses a physical body.

And, the ultimate goal of Nikayan teaching is Nirvana without remainder - at this is only could achieved at death, known as " reducing the body to ashes and annihilating consciousness"

Please name who are those in the history of Nikayan teaching that has achieved this ' Nibbana-element with no residue left' ?
    The Nikayan actually usually refers to historical Buddha after his para-nirvana ( both his phyiscal body and spirtual body ) no longer return to the existence
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited March 2010
    thanks a lot for the answers:)
    edited March 2010
    whereas "I" has alot of "I" and leads to thoughts of continuity.
    Honey, 'I' is a letter of the alphabet. In my language, by itself, it doesn't mean anything, like D wouldn't mean anything in English. In yours, it just so happens to mean "me". For a dog it is just a mark on a paper. For those insects that eat paper (don't know the name in English) it means food. For you apparently it means an idea that leads to thoughts of continuity.

Whatever label you assign to it (and this includes your aversion to its usage, it's not only a verbal thing), it only exists as meaning "me" by being merely labeled by mind.

That is (partly) what emptiness stands for. I don't think emptiness is a concept to be taken lightly. I also don't think it is necessary for most people (including myself) to be delving into it. I just make that thread to avoid the "I don't exist" idea.

I would also like to add that avoiding certain words is mere repression. We have labels for all sorts of things. If it wasn't for that we wouldn't have a way to communicate our ideas. What we have to be conscious of is the limitation of the labels, not their inutility.

I take my leave of this thread now. :)
    edited March 2010
    Asanna

An arahant is an arahant. There is no such thing as "incomplete Nibbana" for an arahant. An arahant has done what needs to be done.

One mode of Nibbana still has what is agreeable and disagreeable, feeling pleasure and pain and the other mode of Nibbana does not.

The Buddha is simply saying, contrary to what most people think, there is a Nibbana with feeling. As for the Nibbana without feeling, this is what most people would regard it to be. All that is being said is:
    One discerns that 'With the break-up of the body, after the termination of life, all that is felt...will grow cold right here.'

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta
    edited March 2010
    Honey, 'I' is a letter of the alphabet. In my language, by itself, it doesn't mean anything, like D wouldn't mean anything in English. In yours, it just so happens to mean "me". For a dog it is just a mark on a paper. For those insects that eat paper (don't know the name in English) it means food. For you apparently it means an idea that leads to thoughts of continuity.

Whatever label you assign to it (and this includes your aversion to its usage, it's not only a verbal thing), it only exists as meaning "me" by being merely labeled by mind.

That is (partly) what emptiness stands for. I don't think emptiness is a concept to be taken lightly. I also don't think it is necessary for most people (including myself) to be delving into it. I just make that thread to avoid the "I don't exist" idea.

I would also like to add that avoiding certain words is mere repression. We have labels for all sorts of things. If it wasn't for that we wouldn't have a way to communicate our ideas. What we have to be conscious of is the limitation of the labels, not their inutility.

I take my leave of this thread now. :)

10ok6tl.gif
    edited March 2010
    I do believe in rebirth, but I didn't use to. In my personal experience nothing changed much, except when I have a very close experience of death, like when a car almost ran me over the other day. The idea that came in my mind is that I had to practice because "look what almost happened, where would I end up after that?".

"There is the case where a monk, as day departs and night returns, reflects: 'Many are the [possible] causes of my death. A snake might bite me, a scorpion might sting me, a centipede might bite me. That would be how my death would come about. That would be an obstruction for me.

Stumbling, I might fall; my food, digested, might trouble me; my bile might be provoked, my phlegm... piercing wind forces [in the body] might be provoked. That would be how my death would come about. That would be an obstruction for me.'

Then the monk should investigate: 'Are there any evil, unskillful mental qualities unabandoned by me that would be an obstruction for me were I to die in the night?' If, on reflecting, he realizes that there are evil, unskillful mental qualities unabandoned by him that would be an obstruction for him were he to die in the night, then he should put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, undivided mindfulness & alertness for the abandoning of those very same evil, unskillful qualities.

Just as when a person whose turban or head was on fire would put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, undivided mindfulness & alertness to put out the fire on his turban or head, in the same way the monk should put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, undivided mindfulness & alertness for the abandoning of those very same evil, unskillful qualities.

But if, on reflecting, he realizes that there are no evil, unskillful mental qualities unabandoned by him that would be an obstruction for him were he to die in the night, then for that very reason he should dwell in joy & rapture, training himself day & night in skillful qualities.

Maranassati Sutta
    Now what are evil, unskillful mental qualities?

Not realising impermanence, not realising not-self, not-realising the noble truths.
    edited March 2010
    Moreover , the lay practitioners of Nikayan are mostly still a distance to the above four Nikayan fruits , so without the concept of rebirth - if this implied that there are likely no hope for their practice at all?
    The Buddha said:
    "Monks, whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma: All processes are inconstant. All processes are unreliable, unsatisfactory. All phenomena are not-self.

Dhamma-niyama Sutta
    This is absolute truth (paramatta dhamma), supramundane teachings (lokuttara dhamma). When Newton or Einstein declare the laws of gravity and physics, etc, we generally do not deny them. But when a Buddha declares the law of nature (dhamma nikaya), many people deny it because by nature, their minds have craving for being (bhava tanha). It is natural most human beings do not wish to die.

The suttas describe such laypeople as thus:
    Sitting thus at one side, the brahmin householders said to the Blessed One:

“Master Gotama, we have such desires, wishes and hopes: ‘May we dwell in a home full of children! May we enjoy Kasi sandalwood! May we wear garlands, scents and make-up! May we enjoy gold and silver [using jewelry and money]! When the body breaks up, after death, may we be reborn in good destination, in a heavenly world.’
    As we have such desires…may the Master Gotama teach us the Dharma in such a way that we might dwell in a home full of children…When the body breaks up, after death, may we be reborn in good destination, in a heavenly world.”
    “I will teach you, householders, a personal teaching. Listen, pay close attention. I will speak.”

“Yes, sir,” the brahmin householders replied in assent to the Blessed One.

The suttas also describe laypeople as follows:
    There are clansmen [lay disciples] with little dust in their eyes who are wasting away through not hearing [this supramundane] Dhamma. There will be those who will understand it."

Anathapindikovada Sutta