Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discussion of Dharmic Terms

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi folks,

I would like to talk about Dharmic terms with anyone who would like to:)

What I am proposing is we try to come up with a taxonomy of terms that we use in Buddhism, I think this would be helpful, at least to me.

So to start with I am suggesting that we say a term is “Dharmic” if it satisfies these six criteria:
  1. It is subject to impermanence.
  2. It is empty (Internally and externally interconnected)
  3. It can be explained in more simple Dharmic terms
  4. It will be part of an explanation of another Dharmic term.
  5. It is able to be observed in the external world.
  6. It is able to be experienced directly.

What do you think about these?

Maybe they are rubbish, if so why?

Maybe you have more to add?

Please, just those who want to talk about this as a philosophical and/or interesting exercise:)

Thanks

Mat

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I would like to talk about Dharmic terms with anyone who would like to:)

What I am proposing is we try to come up with a taxonomy of terms that we use in Buddhism, I think this would be helpful, at least to me.

So to start with I am suggesting that we say a term is “Dharmic” if it satisfies these six criteria:

It is subject to impermanence.
    Ok, right....
    Tell me.....
    What isn't?
    It is empty (Internally and externally interconnected)

Such as....?
    It can be explained in more simple Dharmic terms.
    It will be part of an explanation of another Dharmic term.

What would you define as a 'Dharmic/Dhammic term'?
    It is able to be observed in the external world.It is able to be experienced directly.
    What cannot be experienced directly?

What do you think about these?

I think you need to clarify, expand and specify.
    Maybe they are rubbish, if so why?
    I wouldn't call them rubbish...I'd call them pointelss mental activities...unless you can elaborate on my previous points...
    Maybe you have more to add?
    Why add anything?
    What is the point of this exercise?
    And I really am just asking, here...
    Please, just those who want to talk about this as a philosophical and/or interesting exercise:)
    This is a really great taxonomy already....
    have a look at that, and then come back and tell me what you think....

Thanks

Mat
    You're welcome. :)
  • edited March 2010
    Hi Fed

As said, this is just a suggested list of criteria, and I just came up with it today, so I really dont have the answers!:)

Do you a have any better suggestions for such criteria?

It is very easy to make a question, dont ya know;) You just need a question mark.
    I think you need to clarify, expand and specify.

As said, I am looking for those who would like to work togther clarifying etc

Based on your past responses to such exercises what you have said here, that aint a job for you:)

But I implore you, please can you not censor this post.
    This is a really great taxonomy already....
    have a look at that, and then come back and tell me what you think....

That isnt a taxonomy. It is a brekdown. I wish to categorise dharmic terms...

have fun

mat
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    I just really don't understand what your point is, or what you're trying to accomplish, or why.
    Do you want Dhammic terms in Pali?
    Do you want Dharmic terms in sanskrit?
    What is it exactly you're attempting to achieve, that you couldn't just do for yourself?

And - given that you've had 23 hits so far, on this thread, but only I have replied - maybe the confusion is not simply mine.

And please, don't make comments which bring my Moderator impartiality into question.
    I never censor, edit, delete, erase or close anything unless i am given good reason to do so.
    providing you abide by Forum guidelines, and post appropriately, you're fine.
    you seem to have a problem with my posting on your threads.
    It's my objective to participate as much as possible, it's also my job.
    you'll have to get over it, because this really is your problem, not mine.
    edited March 2010
    Hi Fed

As said, this is just a suggested list of criteria, and I just came up with it today, so I really dont have the answers!:)
    Which merely tells me you haven't really put a whole load of thought into the question.
    If you cannot supply responses to your chosen criteria, what hope have the rest of us got?
    Do you a have any better suggestions for such criteria?
    If I knew what you were on about, I'd supply a better framework of suggestions....
    It is very easy to make a question, dont ya know;) You just need a question mark.

It baffles me how you have the time to think of all these matters, when in half an hour you could probably make your own criteria and be happy with that. This is wasting time, and the Buddha advised us against it.
    ?
  • edited March 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I just really don't understand what your point is, or what you're trying to accomplish, or why.

What was the point of Darwin's taxonomy of finches?

Or The periodic table?

Do you want Dhammic terms in Pali?
    Do you want Dharmic terms in sanskrit?

No, English:)

I never censor, edit, delete, erase or close anything unless i am given good reason to do so.

I disagree, but that's history. To a bright future!

you seem to have a problem with my posting on your threads.

Not at all! My issues is with threads getting moved into the dead zone.
    It's my objective to participate as much as possible, it's also my job.
    you'll have to get over it, because this really is your problem, not mine.

Please do, but in the same way as I wouldn't hurl abject criticisms at somes meditation or moral explorations I would hope you wont at my philosophical explorations.

Why not actually try to philosophise?

Salome

Mat
  • edited March 2010
    Which merely tells me you haven't really put a whole load of thought into the question.

LOL< Fed, In just told you I only just thought of it! Its a forum not an exams board!
    If you cannot supply responses to your chosen criteria

I would rather wait for others responses. That is what a discussion is:) See that in the title, "discussion"? Not lecture, discussion:P

If I knew what you were on about

You will need to step outside of your initial negative view, methinks.
    This is wasting time, and the Buddha advised us against it.

Owch and wow.

I consider it "Working hard for dharma"

Unto each their own:)

Mat
    edited March 2010
    What was the point of Darwin's taxonomy of finches?

Or The periodic table?
    No, the question remains. What's the point of yours?

I disagree, but that's history. To a bright future!
    It is your nature to disagree with much of what is put to you.
    I'm not looking for a bright future.
    My present is bright enough.;)
    Not at all! My issues is with threads getting moved into the dead zone.
    It's not a dead zone, it's very much alive.
    It's the threads that are found wanting, because everyone knows what you're like, now, Mat....

Please do, but in the same way as I wouldn't hurl abject criticisms at somes meditation or moral explorations I would hope you wont at my philosophical explorations.
    Not unless it's necessary....
    Why not actually try to philosophise?
    To what end?

Salome
    Again with 'Salome'.
    Do you mean 'Shalom'?
    Are you Jewish by origin?
    And yes, again, I'm just asking.

EDIT NOTE:
    45 hits and counting.
    Still just you and me, mat....;)
  • edited March 2010
    No, the question remains. What's the point of yours?

To provide a taxonomy of dharmic terms.
    It is your nature to disagree with much of what is put to you.

I find it harder than most to swallow claims I see now justification for, its called being a skeptic, I belive the Buddha was a skeptic.

I am reading 1984 at the moment, it has echos...
    Do you mean 'Shalom'?

No I mean Salome.

The Salome Peace Meditation

Saalome gam naan ben uurda, gan njjber asaala hesporoona!
    Peace be on Earth, and among all beings!
  • edited March 2010
    What is the point of this exercise?
    And I really am just asking, here...

OK, i have had a think about this and taken some notes. I have back tracked a bit in the hope it will make it easier for you to see:)

Concepts

There are many concepts in the world and minds, some of them, like "joy", "suffering", "mind", "ignorance", "causation" seem to be distinctly Dharmic. Some of them, like "spanner" and the number 7 seem to be nondharmic.

If we like we can try to classify these concepts. I will give a couple of pretty uninspiring examples to illustrate

Example One: A concept is "mechanic" if:
    1. Is related to the internal combusion engine.
    2. It is related to things that contain moving parts

Example two: A concept is romantic if:

1. It contains at least two humans as "subconcepts" (Clauses, predicates etc..)
    2. Does not involve indiffernce between its human parts.

Those examples are probably far from complete but they should give some idea of where we can go with this in terms of discussing dharma:)

As a startuing position I would have as my criteria:

Dharma: a concept or thing is dharmic if:
    1. It is impermanent.
    3. It can be explained in more simple Dharmic concept
    4. It will be part of a cause or explanation of another Dharmic concept.

So we can see, for example, that a spanner is not dharmic against these criteria. It does satisfy at 1,2,5 and 6 but not 3 and 4 . So we would say, as expected, it isnt a dharmic concept.

If we look at something like, say "Craving," we can see that it satisfied 1,2,3,4, 5 and 6. So on my suggested criteria we would say it is Dharmic.

The same seem's true of concepts like: ignorance, suffering, volition, sensation, perception, conciousness. They all seem to be Dharmic terms.

It may get a little tricky when we ask about the very basic concepts of imperminence and emptiness themsleves. Impermanence cannot be explained by more simple terms, nor can emptiness. In fact impermanence seems true of most concepts we have, its like, its predharmic!

And isnt it, in a sense before Dharma?

Doesnt all of Dharma come from the three marks, that just one mark is not of itself Dharma?

So I think there are interesting avenues we can explore if we start to analyse the very concepts that make up Dharma. this would help me and I would hope others.

I would be happy not to discuss any "controversial" dharmic concepts in these terms:)

metta

mat
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Ok I introduce the terms love and compassion. You decide if they are dharmic or not. I can't be bothered.
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Eros and Thanatos, in the greek mythology, are gods. In psychoanalysis they are concepts for something else.

It would be pointless to put a psychoanalyst in one side and a mythology expert on the other and have them debate what is 'Thanatos'. They have different frameworks and the discussion would be hollow and uninteresting.

For a follower of the Buddha, Dharma is the way out of suffering and the word of the Buddha; from a Catholic point of view, it might be the word of the devil; from a western philosopher's point of view, it is whatever western philosophy makes of it; from an historian's point of view, it might be something else, and so on.

There is no point in putting Buddha and a philosopher side-to-side to discuss what Dharma is or is not.

It is not about the word Dharma and what it means, it is about the context. You can't take a buddhist concept outside a buddhist context and expect it to hold the same meaning. There is no buddhist Dharma without the Buddha, the same way there is no "NamelessRiver ideas" without a real NamelessRiver.

Hope that makes sense.
  • edited March 2010
    It would be pointless to put a psychoanalyst in one side and a mythology expert on the other and have them debate what is 'Thanatos'.

I am not so sure of that, in your certainty about it being "pointless".

Where do you get the measure to judge which discussions are pointless?

Is not the wise way to simply try and see where you end up?
    They have different frameworks and the discussion would be hollow and uninteresting.

I believe all things are connected and, again, I have no measure to judge what is going to be uninteretsing before I try it.
    For a follower of the Buddha, Dharma is the way out of suffering and the word of the Buddha;

That is the aim, yes, but that is not all there is. There is much more to dharma than our little human lives:) It conditions all things.

Should doctors not try to understand parts of biology that doesnt lead directly to them healing?

Why are so coming over so against free enquiry?
    There is no point in putting Buddha and a philosopher side-to-side to discuss what Dharma is or is not.

I cant think of a view more opposed to mine within Budhism than that. I really cant. i dont know if there is rebirth or devas etc, I havemy views but i can never be certain./

But I am utterly certain Buddha was a philosopher, whoever he was, and that his philosophy is the apex of human achievement that connects our humans lives with the empty reality at litterally all levels

I don't know what you could possibly think dharma is after that line:) i really don't.
    There is no buddhist Dharma without the Buddha, the same way there is no "NamelessRiver ideas" without a real NamelessRiver.

Again, I completely disagree. In this universe of luck the Buddha may have been killed at birth in a flood. There would be no buddha.

There would still be Dharma.

Hope that makes sense.

Pretty much none whatsoever this time!:) And normally we may not agree in chats but at least we seem to facing the same direction, with what you have said here I am flabberghasted!:)

Good thinking,

:)

Mat
  • edited March 2010
    But I am utterly certain Buddha was a philosopher

It's worth noting that the Buddha was much more than that. He was also, more importantly, a practitioner of what would later become Buddhism.

Sometime's it's far more important to find out where our questions come from.
    edited March 2010
    Where do you get the measure to judge which discussions are pointless?
    When the people involved are 'discussing' two different things.
    Should doctors not try to understand parts of biology that doesnt lead directly to them healing?
    The historical Buddha is not a medical scientist. The first and the second have different basis for the work. The first seeks to teach the cessation of suffering, and inquires what leads to suffering and what leads away of suffering. The second wants to learn all the "what is" and "what isn't"s of the human body, so he can heal the body, so he studies what is appropriate for his subject matter - as does the Buddha.
    But I am utterly certain Buddha was a philosopher
    A Buddha is a Buddha; a philosopher is a philosopher.
    There would be no buddha.

There would still be Dharma.
    Shakyamuni's teachings are a finger pointing to the moon, but it is still Shakyamuni's finger. If another Buddha pointed to the moon, it would be with his own set of teachings (or fingers :lol:). There is no Shakyamuni's finger without Shakyamuni.
    Why are so coming over so against free enquiry?

You asked us what we thought and this is what I think. I am not picketing against free enquiry, I am exercising mine :P
  • edited March 2010
    Kikujiro wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the Buddha was much more than that. He was also, more importantly, a practitioner of what would later become Buddhism.

Sometime's it's far more important to find out where our questions come from.

Oh absolutely, at most, the "philosophy" part of the path is a fraction, and its not even one I think needs to be understood to practice:)

But it interests some of us to philosophise and without any doubt the buddha was a supreme philosopher, who's theories now are starting to be confirmed by science.

• edited March 2010
    When the people involved are 'discussing' two different things.

What, like art and culture, psychology or neuroscience?

as does the Buddha.

Just what do you think the wisdom part of the magga is?

What is right view if not an understaning of things as they are?

What is dependent origination if not a truth about the causal workings of reality?
    A Buddha is a Buddha; a philosopher is a philosopher.

Buddha was a philosopher, prove to me he wasnt or drop what is the biggest dead duck you have ever peddled! ;)
    There is no Shakyamuni's finger without Shakyamuni.

Dharma is true of all points in all possible realities. If you dont believe this, fine, but i don't see how you can be anywhere near the dharma that fills my life.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Shakyamuni's teachings are a finger pointing to the moon, but it is still Shakyamuni's finger.
    The teachings of the Tathagatha point to actual realities and not to the moon.

Spacing out is the moon.

But experiencing clearly the sixteen stages of Anapanasati is not the moon but groundedness.

edited March 2010
    What, like art and culture, psychology or neuroscience?
    Like psychology\buddhism; philosophy\buddhism; christianity\buddhism; western culture\buddhism. These are the favorites of buddhist books these days. Some hit a home run (for example Yogacara Buddhism and Modern Psychology on the Subliminal Mind) and some hit the fan (Buddhism without Beliefs) when they fail to acknowledge the differences between the categories they are discussing.
    What is dependent origination if not a truth about the causal workings of reality?
    If you look at the 12 links you will see some are not linked in a 'cause and effect' fashion.
    Just what do you think the wisdom part of the magga is?
    Don't know what magga is, sorry.
    What is right view if not an understaning of things as they are?
    (i) the ethical distinction of kamma into the unwholesome and the wholesome; (ii) the principal cases of each type; and (iii) the roots from which these actions spring. (Mundane Right View)

(Superior Right View) The right view of the Four Noble Truths develops in two stages. The first is called the right view that accords with the truths (saccanulomika samma ditthi); the second, the right view that penetrates the truths (saccapativedha samma ditthi). To acquire the right view that accords with the truths requires a clear understanding of their meaning and significance in our lives. Such an understanding arises first by learning the truths and studying them.

This right view that penetrates the Four Noble Truths comes at the end of the path, not at the beginning. We have to start with the right view conforming to the truths, acquired through learning and fortified through reflection.
    Buddha was a philosopher, prove to me he wasnt
    I don't know how to do that. How do you prove someone is not a philosopher?
    Dharma is true of all points in all possible realities.
    Yes. I just think it will be hard for us to explain it better than a Buddha can.
  • edited March 2010
    If you look at the 12 links you will see some are not linked in a 'cause and effect' fashion.

I remain undecided on those:) I certainly dont see them as being the definition of dependent origination that some do.

They just dont really seem to make sense to me, that may well be my igornace of them but its also possible that its mistaken to see them as they are:) But that isnt a debate for this thread:)

Don't know what magga is, sorry.

Its the path:)

The right view of the Four Noble Truths develops in two stages. The first is called the right view that accords with the truths (saccanulomika samma ditthi); the second, the right view that penetrates the truths (saccapativedha samma ditthi).

yes, I am familar with the distintion, and find it useful.

How do you prove someone is not a philosopher?

Prove they are not interested on wisdom? Look, I am happy to say, "I may be a total ass on rebirth" I may well be, I may be the biggest ignoramus to ever read a suttra. Happy to accept that. But I just wont accept the buddha was not a philosopher.

That is the very definition of absurd, iup there with, newton was not a scientist or mozart not a musician.
    edited March 2010
    He might have been a philosopher, but that wasn't his primary objective, nor has he been globally recognised as such. And simply because you declare him to be, does not mean we are agreed with you.
    his primary concern was to teach the origination of suffering and the cessation of suffering.
    we're very happy with that state of affairs.

If you wish to discuss Buddhism in a philosophical sense, then make more sense.
    But don't expect huge feedback here.
    We really can't be asked to play your games by rules that move the goalposts all the time.
    (20 responses, 166 hits. see what I mean?)
  • edited March 2010
    He might have been a philosopher, but that wasn't his primary objective

I believe we cannot know even if he existed, was a she or a they, so for me such bold claims as to what his objectives were are not as steadfast as in your mind.
    And simply because you declare him to be, does not mean we are agreed with you.

I am not asking you to agree with me, I am very very very certain that will never happen, probably on anything I say.
    If you wish to discuss Buddhism in a philosophical sense, then make more sense.

I am tying, your not helping, your just ignoring my attempts to explain, as p[er my last reply to you in this thread.

I spent a fair while trying to show you and all you dont even acknowledge. Its a shame.

You seem more interested in bulling me to shut up rather than talk to me.

Let us have another go, try and be a Buddhist about this.

Dharma

Starting suggestion, a concept or thing is dharmic if:
    1. It is impermanent.
    3. It can be explained in more simple Dharmic concept
    4. It will be part of a cause or explanation of another Dharmic concept.

If we look at something like, say "Craving," we can see that it satisfied 1,2,3,4, 5 and 6. So on my suggested criteria we would say it is Dharmic.

The same seem's true of concepts like: ignorance, suffering, volition, sensation, perception, conciousness. They all seem to be Dharmic terms.

What do you think?

Do you understand?

If you don't understand, where not?

Mat
  • edited March 2010
    Actually I think there is a new criteria for the list which is that the concept is in somesense involved with human suffering. yesterday I was thinking that this would be an effect rather than a part, but I dont think so now. So the ammended list of suggested criteria is:

3. It conditions suffering.
    4. It can be explained in more simple Dharmic concepts
    5. It will be part of an explanation of another Dharmic concept.
    6. It is able to be observed in the external world.
    7. It is able to be experienced directly.

By conditions I mean it increases, entails, reduces, ceases etc

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Chill Mat, nobody is bullying you or not letting you do your thing. :P

What is a "dharmic thing"?
  • edited March 2010
    Chill Mat, nobody is bullying you or not letting you do your thing. :P

Actually I am chilled, still, my point remains:)
    What is a "dharmic thing"?

I dont know but my first suggestion is a thing that satisfied these Criteria:

So if we take terms we can check them against the criteria and see. IO think it works pretty well, as said I am not sure about how the Three Marks fit in but that is to be expected.

So we can see that tanha, karma, skhanda, rupa are dharmic terms. Try it yourself, am I mistaken?

And equally we can see that The Number Nine and "spanner" and "neutron" are not dharmic terms.

Again, am I mistaken here? :)

Why would this be a pointless enquiry?

Thanks,

Mat
    edited March 2010
    Why would this be a pointless enquiry?
    Did I say that? Actually scholars have fun trying to figure out what the real teachings were. The original Pali canon of the Theravada survived as far as I can tell, but other pieces of other canons did too, and they have a few minor discrepancies. One Buddhologist even said that the eventual jokes were probably spoken by the Buddha himself, because what committee would be cracking jokes? :P

They have their methods to determine whether something is Dharmic or not, and they have 'lines of though' on how to do that, but it's mostly through finding documents and archeological sources and comparing them to each other.

As for something that sums up Buddhism in basic tenets I would have to say you would end up with the four noble truths. Whatever is connected to them is Dharma. (Dharma is goal oriented).

If you are looking for the basis of phenomena wouldn't that be the five aggregates?

However, there is one person that came close to an analysis of reality in the way you are trying to do: Nagarjuna.

Try this: http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/verses2.htm

• edited March 2010
    Hi NR
    They have their methods to determine whether something is Dharmic or not, and they have 'lines of though' on how to do that, but it's mostly through finding documents and archeological sources and comparing them to each other.

That is there way, that doesn't have to be our way does it?
    As for something that sums up Buddhism in basic tenets I would have to say you would end up with the four noble truths.

I would agree, of course:) But that isnt what I am looking at here but rather the individual terms and their place within the dharmic system.
    If you are looking for the basis of phenomena wouldn't that be the five aggregates?

I am not and yes it would:p
    However, there is one person that came close to an analysis of reality in the way you are trying to do: Nagarjuna.

I am virgin buddhist:)
    edited March 2010
    I don't understand what you want, so I give up, sorry. :|
  • edited March 2010
    I don't understand what you want, so I give up, sorry. :|

Hey no problemmo:)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2010

These sound a bit like 2 of the 3 characteristics ( anicca and anatta ).
    Does that help?:)

P
  • edited March 2010
    porpoise wrote: »
    These sound a bit like 2 of the 3 characteristics ( anicca and anatta ).
    Does that help?:)

P

Yes, they are, natch:) As is Dukka in my amended version:

I don't know if these three characteristics are themselves satisfying the criteria, though:)

Mat