Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mercy Killing?

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
Well, a Robin just got into the woodstove by flying/falling down the chimney. It must have been there for awhile because by the time I heard something and discovered it, it was barely alive and covered in soot and ash. One of its wings was broken beyond recognition, its eyes were caked closed with ash, and since birds have extremely sensitive respiratory systems and its breathing was labored to the point where it shuddered with each breath. The bird was obviously not going to make it, however its death was going to be a very slow, painful, and terrifying one.

So I did what I thought best in the situation. I washed the bird as best I could and tried to make it comfortable, I gave it a moment, took it up in my hands (despite my cleaning, it was still blinded and chances are didn't know what was happening) and without giving it a chance to react, I snapped its neck with my bare hands, as to me that was the quickest way to end its pain. The use of any other tool may have just complicated the matter, so bare hands seemed the most precise... so do not misunderstand, I did not do it out of some perverse joy.

So this brings up the question of mercy killing. Is it alright to end a life when it is obviously in its final moments, has no hope of surviving, and is in terrible pain? I know the topic of euthanasia has probably been broached on this forum before, but I somehow feel this is a little different, as this was a spur of the moment decision formed from necessity. Please leave your comments.

Comments

• i dont know, suffer or die. mmm well. i am suffering today would you kill me to make me feel less pain? Nope.
    so, i guess its not good and suffering is a normal. so no you shouldnt of killed it. it might bring you bad karma.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    You are equating the suffering of day to day living with the suffering of a long and painful death-rattle.

they are not the same.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This is a good question, Zayl. Is suicide a form of mercy-killing? Suicide isn't acceptable, in part because it interferes with the workings of karma, and obviously, because it's against the 1st precept. And when dealing with suicide, the 1st precept isn't "relative", like the other precepts (you can break them if it's for a higher good). The question is, is it somehow different if applied to taking another life, not one's own? Why would it be, and why wouldn't it be?

BTW, did you check the chimney for a nest? There may be another birdie up there. How did you feel after you did the deed?

HHDL used to say that any killing is wrong. He's since modified his stance. So maybe you're ok. Great thread topic. :) I'm not really qualified to answer, only to raise more questions. ;)
  • i would suggest doing a good deed today that has no negative things attached to it just in case
  • i was not equating the suffering of daily living with that of the bird who was suffering. i am actual pain that i can feel from degrees of 10 its right now a 8.
  • Was this your last option ? could you not try to contact some wildlife rescue unit. Even if you couldn't then why not try your best to make its remaining time as peaceful as possible.
    Anyway you did what you did its too late now, for the record I would not have done the same as you, for all the reasons I have gave in other posts about similar questions.

Metta to all sentient beings

• from 1-10 its an 8 right now.

• HHDL used to say that any killing is wrong. He's since modified his stance. So maybe you're ok. Great thread topic.
    Oh well if the Dali Lama says its Ok then it must be. hmmmmmm not sure about that.

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Even if it did bring bad karma on me, I will gladly accept that in order to bring it peace. And no I did not check for another nest, the wood stove is too small for me to fit my head in for a good look up the chimney, and I do not think killing myself trying to climb up on the roof would help anyone.

And I had conflicting feelings after the matter. For one, I abhor killing, on the other hand I still feel that there was no other way, I could have just sit back and let nature take its course... but I do not think I could have sat there and watch it die, even just dumping it outside and trying to ignore it would have been impossible for me.

EDIT - and it was in really bad shape. it had been bleeding profusely from its broken wing, though the bleeding had stopped somewhat due to ash clogging up the wound, I did not notice that until I washed it and it resumed bleeding out. I have rescued injured animals before, and I feel this one was just too far gone.
  • But you did watch it die anyways, when you broke its neck, so why not wait for it to happen naturally, and you could have wished or meditated that the sentient being was freed from suffering in the knowledge that you tried your best to make its last moments as peacful as possible.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I dunno, I'm hearing from Zayl that Compassion motivated him, and so many teachers say that it's the motivation that counts. It's not a "sin" if Compassion was the motive. ...so they say. Wildlife rescue units are usually available only on a 9-5 regular workday schedule.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Even if it did bring bad karma on me, I will gladly accept that in order to bring it peace.
    this i how i feel. the topic of karma will always be debatable. but i feel in my heart that it is better to end their suffering than allow them to continue. i believe the general anti-euthanasia stance is because a person's last moments are needed for clarity and reflection, i'm not so sure this applies to animals.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    They say that no negative karma results from actions motivated by Compassion.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Kamma is INTENTIONAL Action.
    Your intention was not to destroy a life, your intention was to relieve suffering.
    There is a kammic consequence, but the intention was pure, kind and compassionate.
    I'm telling you because I am 210% convinced your action was one that brought you more good Kamma than negative.
    Your intention was to save the bird further suffering.

having worked at a veterinary centre, I can tell you, birds have an extremely fragile system.
    What probably harmed your bird more was the shock.
    Having a broken wing, and soot and ash in its lungs and its eyes caked shut would have been bad enough, but the trauma of the experience in itself was probably its demise.
    I have seen birds with less injuries put down.

I am of the opinion, in complete confidence that what you did was kind and compassionate.
    I don't deny there will be some kammic throwback, but far FAR less than if you had killed a creature out of spite, malice and cruelty.

@juanorellana, I'm sorry you are in pain, but you are a human being, capable of deciding for yourself as things are, what you want to do.
    if you were in a serious irreversible coma, the decision would be out of your hands. if you were an animal, your life might already have been ended.
    I'm glad you are a human, and able to decide your own fate for yourself, but sometimes, circumstances dictate that we must take it upon ourselves, to make unwanted and unpleasant decisions, on behalf of others, be they human or animal.
    And there should be no judgement or criticism of that.
    each person does what they can.
    At least, Zayl ministered care to the creature and attempted to make it more comfortable before deciding the kindest approach would be to kill it.
    Many would not even have given that preliminary care to the bird.
    That shows thought and consideration, IMHO.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    this topic is making me wonder how some of you feel about pets. for most of my life, my mother had a very large rottweiler mix. he was quite old (had arthritis and a thyroid problem) and one day, he simply could no longer climb the stairs to get back in the house. i was leaving for work when i tried to let him back in, he wouldn't budge. he just couldn't move anymore. when my mother came home from work, she took him to the vet and had him put down. it was very hard for her, but she couldn't justify keeping him alive at that point. he was much too large for any of us to bring into the house and it appeared there was no other option than to leave him outside in the sweltering heat until he expired. she knew he had been in pain for a while, since she had him on a pain medication regiment, but she didn't want to do it until this happened. should we have just left him outside to die?

• i believe the general anti-euthanasia stance is because a person's last moments are needed for clarity and reflection, i'm not so sure this applies to animals.
    Well the way I see it, only the sentient being itself should decide if it wants to die or not. Therefore, since I cant speak to animals I would stay on the side of caution (i.e let the animals live as long as it can) no one else has the right to decide if another sentient being wants to live or die.
    Thats my view anyway

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    My dad had to do this with his dog who was suffering from cancer and like you said, ZG, couldn't move anymore and was obviously miserable.

I don't keep pets because of the huge responsibility they represent; it's a LIFE entrusted to our care. It just seems that the potential for something going wrong is too big. For me anyway. I rememmber the baby turtle fad when I was a kid. Those poor creatures would inevitably develop softshell and die, and kids (me too, at first) would just go out and get another one, only to watch it befall the same fate. That did it--no more pets for me. I began a baby-turtle boycott. The pet industry can be cruel, if you think about it, especially exotic pets. So many of those vendors and procurers only care about making a buck.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    They say that no negative karma results from actions motivated by Compassion.
    Im not really bothered about negative karma or the motivation for the action in this case, what Im talking about is people making decisions about the life or death of another sentient being, without any idea if the sentient beings wants to live or die.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    There probably wasn't enough time to call in a pet psychologist to ascertain if the animal wanted to die. But I think it's reasonable to assume that if it's bleeding, has a broken wing, etc., it's clearly in pain. And unless it was a Buddhist bird, it was experiencing that pain as suffering. Even if it may not have known it couldn't recover, Zayl did. Creatures enduring that level of suffering only want release.
    without any idea if the sentient beings wants to live or die.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    And what if death is its only option anyway? I'm not proud of what I did. But would you rather have a quick death, or a long drawn-out one where you are delirious from pain? Perhaps I did make a mistake, but it was a lose-lose situation anyway.

I just put myself in the bird's situation... if I was in that bad of shape, but could not communicate what I wanted with others I would pray for someone to end my life. Then again, animals mostly rely on instinct, and their biggest priority is life. So even in that situation it may have wanted to live for as long as possible, despite the situation.

I did what I did, there is no changing it.

I have had Dogs die on me before too, I hesitated taking them to the vet to have them put down because I was attached to them and being selfish, they just eventually lose the will to live, lay down, and die.
    edited April 2011
    There probably wasn't enough time to call in a pet psychologist to ascertain if the animal wanted to die. But I think it's reasonable to assume that if it's bleeding, has a broken wing, etc., it's clearly in pain. And unless it was a Buddhist bird, it was experiencing that pain as suffering. Even if it may not have known it couldn't recover, Zayl did. Creatures enduring that level of suffering only want release.
    without any idea if the sentient beings wants to live or die.
    Oh so you know what animals think :hrm: , well for all you know the animal may have been thinking about surviving, the point is no one knows, so why make the choice for them.

• federica

i wasn't being judge mental, true he had compassion on his side, i was just making logical statement.
    as far as animals not being able to make decisions to end their life, mmmm i dont know about that anyways i think killing is bad in any form or way since we must suffer no matter what it is bad because you think it is bad, however, suffering is part of nature even our own and it is not bad per say bad. meaning yes causing suffering is bad and physical suffering hurtz anyone. and now that i think about
    Zyl probably couldnt bare to watch the bird suffer cause he couldnt with stand the pain in his mind. he was running from.
    most likely his own fears of suffering. instead of contemplating life he killed it out of his own suffering which is bad karma.
  • but i could be wrong, like you said it is bad to suffer
    this is a very interesting topic. some seem to feel that putting an animal out of its misery is bad karma, and therefore, not compassionate. but my personal view (of this situation, anyways) is that it would be bad karma not to do anything. i feel it would be bad karma to simply walk past a suffering dying animal and not do everything in your power to lessen its suffering, including a mercy killing if that's what it takes. sometimes karma is determined not by what we do, but by what we don't do. i read once that if you walk past a small shivering child sleeping in a bed who has kicked off their covers in the night, it would be bad karma NOT to cover the child back up. this story is only applicable in the sense that it attributes karma to inaction as well.

this isn't to say that i think we should go around killing every animal in pain. i have had several pet rats and one of them, i stayed with until her final moments. i do believe she was in pain, but i knew it wouldn't take too long so i simply made her as comfortable as i could until her body finally seized and she was gone. then again, my last rat was quite old and clearly decided her own time to go. she wanted to hang out with me (she had little signs for when she wanted to come out), so i watched a movie with her on the couch and afraid she might have to go to the bathroom, put her back in her cage. within a half an hour, i walked past the cage and saw that she had passed. it was very odd because although i knew she was old and had developed a tremor (like old people do), she had been running around between my partner and i and nestling in my hair like she always did. i think she just wanted to say goodbye.
    edited April 2011
    this is a very interesting topic. some seem to feel that putting an animal out of its misery is bad karma, and therefore, not compassionate. but my personal view (of this situation, anyways) is that it would be bad karma not to do anything. i feel it would be bad karma to simply walk past a suffering dying animal and not do everything in your power to lessen its suffering, including a mercy killing if that's what it takes. sometimes karma is determined not by what we do, but by what we don't do. i read once that if you walk past a small shivering child sleeping in a bed who has kicked off their covers in the night, it would be bad karma NOT to cover the child back up. this story is only applicable in the sense that it attributes karma to inaction as well.

this isn't to say that i think we should go around killing every animal in pain. i have had several pet rats and one of them, i stayed with until her final moments. i do believe she was in pain, but i knew it wouldn't take too long so i simply made her as comfortable as i could until her body finally seized and she was gone. then again, my last rat was quite old and clearly decided her own time to go. she wanted to hang out with me (she had little signs for when she wanted to come out), so i watched a movie with her on the couch and afraid she might have to go to the bathroom, put her back in her cage. within a half an hour, i walked past the cage and saw that she had passed. it was very odd because although i knew she was old and had developed a tremor (like old people do), she had been running around between my partner and i and nestling in my hair like she always did. i think she just wanted to say goodbye.
    I never said do nothing, you don't have to kill an animal in suffering to be compassionate to it. How about comfort it and try to make its last moments as pain free and comfortable as possible.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Oh so you know what animals think :hrm: , well for all you know the animal may have been thinking about surviving, the point is no one knows, so why make the choice for them.
    You're right, z. It could've been thinking about surviving. Maybe this compassion thing is just a projection of the human mind. But still, the "rules" say that acts motivated by compassion don't incur negative karma. And I think Zayl is right, it was a lose-lose situation. No matter which choice the human makes, it could be the wrong one. He chose to err on what he saw as the side of compassion.

I might add that I was in a similar situation a yr. or so ago. I found a rabbit that had been hit by a car. It was still alive. It was near my house, so I got gloves and a cardboard box and scooped it up, took it home. Called the wildlife rescue office, which was closed after 5pm. There was nothing I could do. I watched it die. It was a moving experience. It didn't occur to me to break its neck, but the death came fairly swiftly. I must admit, I never could've broken its neck, even if it might've seemed like the path to least suffering for the animal. Squeemish, I guess. Or maybe letting it die naturally seemed like letting "fate" (or karma?) play itself out. Don't know. Difficult question. I respect Zayl for putting this up for discussion.
  • ANYWAYS THE BIRD IS WILL COMEBACK AS EGG NOW REPEAT THE PROCESS UNLESS IT SUFFERS?
  • There is evidence (links below) that suggests that animals can feel depressed and even suicidal, and hence do have the ability to choose if they want to live or not. They do not need our intervention to make that decision for them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1362789/So-dog-really-die-broken-heart.html

http://dogdow.com/20080227-160749.php
  • Zayl, you did the right thing. To refuse to put the poor creature out of its misery because of some scruple about karma or rules on your part would be acting selfishly, and cause the bad decision you were trying to prevent.

Compassion trumps rules. Compassion cuts through karma. Don't overthink it. Just have compassion and give what you can. Even if it's just release from misery.
  • edited April 2011
    there is a reason for everything maybe zayl, was meant to kill the bird and karma is starting to move someway maybe this a new beginning for zayl. if i was enlighten i would say this could the bad sign of things to come for zayl but i am not so who knows.
  • Zayl, you did the right thing. To refuse to put the poor creature out of its misery because of some scruple about karma or rules on your part would be acting selfishly, and cause the bad decision you were trying to prevent.

Compassion trumps rules. Compassion cuts through karma. Don't overthink it. Just have compassion and give what you can. Even if it's just release from misery.
    For me its not about karma its about the life of a sentient being. Anyway I hope it's rebirth was in a higher realm.

• http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/8215/euthanizing-an-animal.../p1

(Watch out for the dead horse picture- euthanasia threads never seem to turn out well... :) )
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    How do you know you're doing that?
    And how long do you think those 'last moments' are going to be?
    it might have survived hours, not moments!
    How can you ask an animal if it's comfortable?

The Queen Mother, on leaving hospital after a difficult operation, commented, "There is a world of difference between the Surgeon's definition of 'the patient is comfortable' - and the patient's own definition!"

What "comfort" do you think you can bring an animal?

(people always think of animals in human terms of comprehension,when trying to second-guess what it is going through....!)

I remember watching a wildlife programme and a pack of hyenas had just had battle with several lions.
    One poor young hyena was trailing after the remainder of the pack, its own intestines dragging behind it in a long, unravelled loop....
    It was clearly never going to survive, and was weakening with every step, and falling behind.
    The remainder of the pack just kept going, and although they kept glancing round at the injured member of the pack, did nothing to stop and comfort it, wait for it, or try to be compassionate. They just kept moving, and ignored its plight and physical distress. In short, they could see it was dying, but had no compunction to do anything other than keep moving.

Eventually, it faltered, and fell, and did not rise again. But the camera could detect movement in the grass where it lay.
    Vultures gathered around it quickly, and began to tear it to pieces, while it still breathed....

And its pack companions, just kept walking away.

There is evidence (links below) that suggests that animals can feel depressed and even suicidal, and hence do have the ability to choose if they want to live or not. They do not need our intervention to make that decision for them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1362789/So-dog-really-die-broken-heart.html

http://dogdow.com/20080227-160749.php
    When you discover a way of them being able to communicate that to us, be sure to let us know.
    They may feel this, but how can anyone presume to know what they're thinking, and act on that desire?

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Some of you are treating this as an intellectual exercise. That's the entirely wrong viewpoint. Intellectually, there's no reason to do anything about the suffering in the world for anyone but yourself.

If you can't bear to end a life, even as an act of mercy, then don't. Nobody's faulting you for not being able to kill under any circumstance. Good for you.

If you can't bear to watch a creature suffer when it's going to die soon, anyway, then act. Nobody's faulting you for not being able to watch a being suffer without doing something. Good for you.

Both actions show that you care. The only evil would be to enjoy watching the poor creature suffer.

• Zayl,

In my opinion you did the right thing. The bird was in real bad shape from what you described. I mean wtf are u supposed to do, call an ambulance, take it to surgery and help him recover? Its not like you took a healthy bird and snapped his neck, you took a dieing bird and removed the slow painful agony that would eventually lead to death.

ive done the same in a similar situation.
  • Zayl
    There is thirty years between myself and the same decision. I took your path and have no regrets.
    The lack of regret has made the experience no less painful for me, even after all this time.

I wish you peace.
    edited April 2011

When you discover a way of them being able to communicate that to us, be sure to let us know.
    They may feel this, but how can anyone presume to know what they're thinking, and act on that desire?

I can't, but at the same time niether can you. So how can a person presume to know that the animal is in so much suffering that it wants to die ?

I am not doubting that Zayl's actions were out of compassion for the animal, all I am saying is that just because Zayl thinks its compassionate to kill the animal, does not mean the animal wanted to die. So if you don't know what the animal wants then why make that decision for them ?

• When you discover a way of them being able to communicate that to us, be sure to let us know.

I can't, but at the same time niether can you. So how can a person presume to know that the animal is in so much suffering that it wants to die ?

I am not doubting that Zayl's actions were out of compassion for the animal, all I am saying is that just because Zayl thinks its compassionate to kill the animal, does not mean the animal wanted to die. So if you don't know what the animal wants then why make that decision for them ?

Because animals operate on instinct. They dont have a language, they cant even conceptualize death. and yes yes I know they communicate with each other, but its not what we consider a language. To be able to conceptualize things you need a language.

edited April 2011

Because animals operate on instinct. They dont have a language, they cant even conceptualize death. and yes yes I know they communicate with each other, but its not what we consider a language. To be able to conceptualize things you need a language.

In your opinion. Where is your proof to back this up for all animals ?
    I myself don't' think humans know very much at all about an animals consciousness or how they conceptualized the world.

I've made a study of animal communication and behaviour for the past 20 years.
    Trust me, please - they communicate and think in a different way to human beings.
    Dogs in particular (as that is my primary field of study) DO have a language.
    But I think you need to differentiate between language and speech.
  • There is research which suggest animals do understand death and indeed mourn.

http://animal.discovery.com/news/briefs/20051031/elephant.html

This behaviour is seen in many other animals also.

What "many other animals"...? Elephants are always being cited as "mourning" but there is nothing to prove that they feel sadness and deprivation. Their behaviour is ritualistic, but I don't believe anyone has actually proved that they feel any form of dolorous emotions.
    Dogs do feel the absence of a companion, and have an empathy for humans who display any form of distress.
    But this is a confusion, because they cannot know what has triggered the negative emotional manifestation, and they perceive that emotional exposure is actually a vulnerability and as such a risk to the group.
    Dogs get over things an awful lot more quickly than humans, because while dogs do have feelings - they don't have baggage.
    Unless, of course, we put it there.....
  • Zayl, it's clear you already had an answer in mind when you posted. So why did you ask?
  • To generate an interesting discussion and see what opinions would turn up? This has been interesting. Shall we kick it up a notch, and ask, what about "assisted suicide" for humans? What about pulling the plug when someone is surviving only by machines, and is in a coma? How do we define "death"?

OK, well...maybe not.
  • "The term "animal languages" is often used for non-human systems of communication. Linguists and semioticians do not consider these to be true "language""

Wikipedia is on my side :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    To generate an interesting discussion and see what opinions would turn up? This has been interesting. Shall we kick it up a notch, and ask, what about "assisted suicide" for humans? What about pulling the plug when someone is surviving only by machines, and is in a coma? How do we define "death"?

OK, well...maybe not.
    See, in those situations I believe it is entirely up to the next of kin. However in a purely hypothetical situation... you are on a battlefield, one of your comrades lays mortally wounded, there is no hope for him. He is crying out for death, so what would you do? would it still be considered bad Karma to pull your sidearm and end him? What if he was in so much pain that he was unable to communicate beyond screaming? or if he was unconscious?

In the first two events, I would end them without hesitation. However if they were unconscious then chances are very good they are at death's door anyway, and do not feel any pain at the time. If they were in such a state I would stay by them until they passed on their own. Really though these kind of situations are interesting to think about, but in an actual occurance you can throw all logic right out the window, as the events are terribly traumatic to those involved and rational decision making is no longer a factor.
    "The term "animal languages" is often used for non-human systems of communication. Linguists and semioticians do not consider these to be true "language""

Wikipedia is on my side :)
    Only insofar as it is the opinion of semioticians and linguists.
    As I said, don't confuse language with speech.
    Naturalists and biologists, as well as animal behaviourists argue that a form of animal language exists.
    Would you say that a person who is deaf/mute cannot use language because they can't speak/hear?
    Of course not. Yet they neither use words, nor can they listen.

• What "many other animals"...?
    Well chimpanzee's for one.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee#Empathy

Like I said no one knows for sure about an animals consciousness or how they conceptualized the world. So why not give them the benefit of the doubt ?

• But this is a confusion, because they cannot know what has triggered the negative emotional manifestation, and they perceive that emotional exposure is actually a vulnerability and as such a risk to the group.
    This is your opinion. As I said you and no one else can know this for sure.

This discussion has been closed.