Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kony 2012

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I didn't mean to watch the entire 30 minutes, but this really is a remarkable project:

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting thus far! Thanks for sharing!
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Wow this is quite moving in parts. That guy has some balls though, determination to match. I do not agree however with trying to explain everything to his son at that age. I knew things in Africa were bad, in many levels, but this is really quite disgusting. Also the government will not do anything what so ever to help, surprise much!
  • Beautiful and inspiring. I just logged on to share the very same video. I encourage everyone to watch this and take proactive action steps to help out this courageous and noble cause!
  • Haha, I didn't realize someone else had already posted the video and I just did.

Really, it is amazing and a smart idea to spread the word like that. If I know anything, it's that people my age (around 19) love to post on Facebook, Twitter, etc. They also love to protest. So I predict this plan going very well.

Hopefully this can bring people together.
  • I watched this in full and as I said before, it is moving and I am astionished at this guys efforts, truely inspirational. GET KONY!! In April they plan to make a huge display world wise to alert people to him. I cannot help but think however that if he is gone, okay that is good, people will be saved and also suffering saved. But I even saw on that list of people most wanted that the 2nd man was from the same African country. Also, is there a person to take Kony's place... Is this going to resolve anything? It could be like the whole Bin Laden situation, that did not really help anything much at all, it was just a vengence that America had.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Im sharing this :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2012
    how the hell do you get involve with these things?

I really wish there would be some kind of website so people can go to, and have a list of organizations to participate in.
    But not financially, physically.

Alot of people don't have $$ but are willing to invest time.

I have a lazy Sunday from time to time, i'd like to go out and spend my day doing something good, working for something.
    But i cannot find anything, all i can find is places and names to give money to.

not only that, what if i wanted to give a month of my life, or years of my life to work full time to some causes? Move to whatever European country and work full time helping out.
    This is actually very difficult to do.
    Nothing exist of the sort.
    There are a few positions available at the un or something like this but those are highly competitive. It's like applying at a great investment bank.
    They receive thousands of applications from more and more qualified people.
    For instance, my wife is a lawyer graduated from the best university of Canada, her dream was to work to help people in some international organization, doesn't care about making tons of money, she applied many position but never got any answer whatsoever.

There are plenty of people who want to help, but nothing to facilitate it.
    So all this help potential is wasted.
  • ^^you don't need money to help on April 20th. That is the "Cover the Night Day" where everyone who is able will post posters all over their cities or facilities near them. You don't need to spend any money. It's not a requirement. Hell, you could even borrow posters from someone else who has them.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    ^^you don't need money to help on April 20th. That is the "Cover the Night Day" where everyone who is able will post posters all over their cities or facilities near them. You don't need to spend any money. It's not a requirement. Hell, you could even borrow posters from someone else who has them.
    no i know.

i think it is a great idea.

my post was a rant about helping out in general about whatever causes, international and local.
  • As much as I have followed this movie and the thread, the questions I proposed in my last post IMO are still very important.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    @Patbb the website and action steps were in the video at the end:

You can Start here
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    @Patbb the website and action steps were in the video at the end:

You can Start here
    yeah i ordered my action kit already.
    (because of you, so you can feel good about having made a difference)

planning to put the posters in the windows of my apartment (which is very well located for many people to see them).

View Larger Map

sorry about the rant, i guess it was not the right thread/forum for it.
  • I'm definitely getting an Action Kit. Or at least some posters, because those are only 5 dollars.
  • A remarkable piece of film, a remarkable project and a remarkable man to take this on!
  • Isn't the Uganda the place where the government executes homosexuals?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    hmmm, now i have serious doubts.
    http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

perhaps i shouldn't have bought that kit after all...
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Photobucket
  • Kony is a thug and a madman for sure, not to mention a pathetic cultist and brigand. His end would be a positive for his victims.

BUT, why is all the attention on him? He is surely not the worst one out there. This campaign against him strikes me as strange when a far madder and far more evil villain in Syria is committing genocide against his own people. Why no calls from humanitarian liberals to have Assad dispatched? His regime is on the ropes and has murdered tens of thousands in the past year.
  • edited March 2012
    And I am frankly surprised by this forum by the sudden and unforeseen outburst of support for Wilsonian interventionism, "not because of self-defense, but because it is right."

Let's be honest though, 100 "military advisers" is a half-measure and would not be sizable enough to eradicate the LRA.

EDIT: And let's be honest, "arrest?" Please, you all know as well I do that Kony would be shot dead by the Ugandan military if caught.

And as others have noted, offing just Kony would probably not do much to eradicate the LRA. Just as OBL's end was not the end of Al Qaeda.
  • And as a final tongue-in-cheek aside, will the same supporters of Kony 2012 (not for president mind you) put "War is Not the Answer" stickers on your car if the US were to militarily intervene and invade Uganda?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    And as a final tongue-in-cheek aside, will the same supporters of Kony 2012 (not for president mind you) put "War is Not the Answer" stickers on your car if the US were to militarily intervene and invade Uganda?
    of course!

war is clearly not the answer.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Kony is a thug and a madman for sure, not to mention a pathetic cultist and brigand. His end would be a positive for his victims.

BUT, why is all the attention on him? He is surely not the worst one out there. This campaign against him strikes me as strange when a far madder and far more evil villain in Syria is committing genocide against his own people. Why no calls from humanitarian liberals to have Assad dispatched? His regime is on the ropes and has murdered tens of thousands in the past year.
    In the video there is actually some type of ranking of international madmen and war criminals, Kony is number one.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Kony is a thug and a madman for sure, not to mention a pathetic cultist and brigand. His end would be a positive for his victims.

In the video there is actually some type of ranking of international madmen and war criminals, Kony is number one.
    I think Knight's point is that there are (unfortunately) whackloads of sociopaths out there - focusing so much attention on a single one seems a bit like a revenge fantasy at worst, an odd focal point of humanitarianism at best.

This tumblr post (and the whole blog in general) represents my stance - it's a noble enough cause at its heart, but has many flaws and reeks of the "White Man's Burden" and imperialism: http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/post/18890947431/we-got-trouble

I also found the campaign - although very media-savvy - to rely a lot on emotional manipulation. All those shots of babies being born with ethereal music, focusing on his blonde son, etc. I mean, children being abducted and forced to kill isn't a good thing AT ALL, but if it weren't children, would people care as much?

I think it's easy to point at problems happening in other countries and say "Someone should do something about it!" and try to seem all "socially conscious" by donating and holding rallies and whatnot. But what about the problems in our own towns and cities? I'm all for supporting infrastructure development in other parts of the world (esp ones that are sustainable, where the locals get the jobs and plan their own futures), but I really think that even in the developed Western world, we need to take a look at ourselves.

Change is an inside job, after all.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Joseph Kony certainly isn't a nice guy, and anyone doing what he does (i.e., trying to establish a theocratic government in part by abducting children and turning them into soldiers or sex slaves) definitely needs to be stopped. That said, my opinion of the viral KONY 2012 documentary is that, while it does a good job of tugging at your heartstrings and is a great marketing tactic for Invisible Children Inc., there are a couple of things that bother me about it. One is its approach, which I found too reliant on emotional appeals and sensationalism. Another is its oversimplification of the issue and events in Uganda in general.

As for the group itself, they're not without their fair share of controversy. For example, according to a 2011 Foreign Affairs' article, Invisible Children "manipulated facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA's use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony -- a brutal man, to be sure -- as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil." And according to financial reports, Invisible Children only spends about 31% of total funds on directly helping anyone (e.g., last year they spent roughly $2.8 million out of $8.9 million directly on projects in Africa, with the rest being spent on things like salaries, transportation, awareness programs, and production costs for films). In addition, they many also help support the Ugandan government/army and the Sudan People's Liberation Army financially, both of which have been accused of committing their fair share of atrocities, including things like rape, looting, and the use of child soldiers.

In short, I like the idea of people trying to make a positive difference in the world, and I think the video is an innovative way of raising social awareness and inspiring people to get involved in a good cause, not to mention a brilliant piece of marketing; but you may want to think twice before donating to Invisible Children and/or spreading this video around. And if you do want to help but don't feel comfortable with Invisible Children, there's a host of other organizations out there to donate to. For example, The Daily What suggests Africare, AMREF USA, Children of the Nations, and Water.org, all of which have "a sparkling four-star rating from Charity Navigator, and, more importantly, no interest in airdropping American troops armed to the teeth into the middle of a multi-nation tribal war to help one madman catch another."
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Invisible Children released a critiques page to answer some of the charges being leveled at them.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2012
    Invisible Children released a critiques page to answer some of the charges being leveled at them.
    Was just about to post that.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I suport the project 100% and will most likely partake in it, but will it actually make a real difference? Is it possible that it may be just a little too idealistic?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "What I do, is a drop in the ocean. But if i did not do it, that ocean would surely be one drop poorer...."

Mother Teresa.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Sure these are terrible happenings and such, but it has been going on for the past twenty years and only now are people getting noisy about it. Every day I get people yelling at me about this, I simply tell them "you do not need to yell, no one is on the other side of this issue"

Still the squeaky wheel gets the grease though, so the louder everyone gets the higher the chances are of someone actually doing something about it. Still, it would be faster, cheaper, and easier if the Kony 2012 project just used any donations it got to fund a sniper team or two and took the Warlord out. Crude sure, but better in nearly every way. As the sooner this guy and whoever sits at his table are put down, the more lives will be saved.
  • Unfortunately this issue has been ignored since oil or other economic measures are not at risk. Human life is not seen as something that is valuable in the corporate world, and all beings will continue to suffer for it.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @patbb http://sumofus.org/ is a great website for awareness to random horrible crap happening.

If you go there, IDK that they have mentioned the Kony thing specifically, the front page is probably still the Apple article. (Sidenote: I've been meaning to post an article on the illegal operations in the Apple factories ever since I read the This American Life (NPR) article, but honestly, I'm scared of the vehement Apple fans here, lol, and a part of me just doesn't feel like getting into it (it's aimed at Apple probably because they have increased their profit margin by so much recently while barely increasing pay (if at all), charge excessive amounts, but it's not limited to Apple, I should mention). But I'm surprised that nobody else has made a post about it. If anyone would like to relinquish me of this duty, feel free. If not, I might finally get my stuff together and make my own post about it because it is upsetting.)

And... I'm done threadjacking. If anyone else cares, please make another post.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Gentle Folks. I'll leave you two word to ponder upon. In the beginning they sound simple and stupid then they sound very complicated and positively impossible.

But still there is something in the Idea that appeals and enchants and it has a nice ring to it... and for now its free... and it can stop Kony.

Ready? Here it comes:

Outlaw War.

See I told ya. You are already thinking "Thats stupid". But guess what its not! Think about it some more and you'll see that its really got potential.

Cheers
    Victor

• Gentle Folks. I'll leave you two word to ponder upon. In the beginning they sound simple and stupid then they sound very complicated and positively impossible.

But still there is something in the Idea that appeals and enchants and it has a nice ring to it... and for now its free... and it can stop Kony.

Ready? Here it comes:

Outlaw War.

No need! War was outlawed almost 100 years ago!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kellogg_briand_pact

@KnightofBuddha Ha, ha. drolly.

I told you it would sound stupid in the beginning. But think about it.

A world wide authority with the power and resources to prosecute and convict nations and 'freedom fighters' alike for any act of war.

regular people and businesses could then file lawsuits against one or other party in a war for economic compensation for lost income of damaged collateral or physical harm.

Imagine how fast such a destructive war would end if the involved states were held accountable for the damage done in realtime!

/Victor

• @KnightofBuddha Ha, ha. drolly.

I told you it would sound stupid in the beginning. But think about it.

A world wide authority with the power and resources to prosecute and convict nations and 'freedom fighters' alike for any act of war.

Imagine how fast such a destructive war would end if the involved states were held accountable for the damage done in realtime!

/Victor

And if the rogue nation does not want to be prosecuted and convicted for its behavior, then what? If they keep their army and navy on guard to prevent this world wide authority from suing them, what then?

The problem remains, who holds the rogues accountable? And how do you enforce it?

Your theory is not a new one. It was wholeheartedly pursued during the 1920s and 1930s by Britain and France and its pursuit lead to the greatest conflagration in human history.

Rogues, be them Fascists or Theocrats or dime store thugs, will always push the limits as far as they can in pursuit of their ambitions against democracies. Deterrence is generally far more effective than "international condemnation."

• I'd toss the UN altogether and make an alternative organization. A League of Democracies. You can only be a member if you meet certain human rights requirements of how you treat minorities, women, and political freedom.

That way you wouldn't have the current farce of Iran and Sudan having been member's of the UN Council for Women's Rights.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Saw this on another board and thought I'd share. This isn't mine, but I still got a laugh out of it.
    @KnightofBuddha

Yes that sounds good a new Federation of Nonaggression. With ethical and moral requirements for membership. So far so good but there needs to be a reward too.

What will make nations want to join? What would make them abide by the treaty and pay the fine if they break the law?

Lets say that the Organization can give licenses for War. Countries/parties can apply for these. That way the form can be decided. The battlefield chosen to minimize damage. A dispute could be decided over a game of Mahjong even...

Lawbreakers are stamped as Terrorists. Their assets frozen. All trade with them forbidden. That is what killed the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka really. More so than the Sri Lanka army.

But I think you are right. How to do that to France or England?

Hrm.
    /Victor

• You're missing my point. Sure, you could have "licenses" for war. But what would stop a mad dictatorship from just steamrolling its neighbor. Maybe the dictatorship can continue to survive amid sanctions and condemnation. Iran doesn't care that it is labeled an international terror supporter. And Russia and China never agree to sanctions on the regime.

Regimes founded on violence and who base their foreign policy on intimidation and aggression...will only respond to force. They don't care about international opinion or UN resolutions. Those things are worthless to tyrants.

As a historical example, Hitler could have been easily stopped relatively bloodlessly through the mid-1930s and late 30s. But every one of his aggressions was met with denunciations, meetings, diplomacy, appeasement, finger-wagging, and utopian pacifism. He and Japan both flipped the bird to the League of Nations. He was only militarily confronted in 1939-40, and by then he was too strong to be stopped.

Dictators and rogue regimes, and brigands like Kony do not respond to world opinion, but to mailed fists. That is the only way that the worst tyrants are ever overthrown.
    You're missing my point. Sure, you could have "licenses" for war. But what would stop a mad dictatorship from just steamrolling its neighbor.
    Pax Romana...maybe? Whats wrong with steamrolling them back?

Maybe the dictatorship can continue to survive amid sanctions and condemnation. Iran doesn't care that it is labeled an international terror supporter. And Russia and China never agree to sanctions on the regime.

Regimes founded on violence and who base their foreign policy on intimidation and aggression...will only respond to force. They don't care about international opinion or UN resolutions. Those things are worthless to tyrants.

As a historical example, Hitler could have been easily stopped relatively bloodlessly through the mid-1930s and late 30s. But every one of his aggressions was met with denunciations, meetings, diplomacy, appeasement, finger-wagging, and utopian pacifism. He and Japan both flipped the bird to the League of Nations. He was only militarily confronted in 1939-40, and by then he was too strong to be stopped.

Dictators and rogue regimes, and brigands like Kony do not respond to world opinion, but to mailed fists. That is the only way that the worst tyrants are ever overthrown.
    Look mr Knight, I said I had a good Idea not all the answers. Democracy and calculators are good Ideas too but I bet people critizied them in the beginning?

And I am not saying one must enforce this law peacefully nor am I saying such a federation or coalition needs to be democratic in every action. The sentence of a criminal is not put to the vote of all the people in a country is it?

Crushing someone not complying with this law using political/economic or/and military means is an ok solution with me.

That was how the Tamil Tigers of Sri Lanka were obliterated. Their doom came not when the Sri Lanka armed forces routed them out and killed them but when they were stamped as Terrorists in the international arena.

Their assets were frozen, trade and selling arms to them became forbidden.
    That was what killed them.

/Victor

• Pax Romana...maybe? Whats wrong with steamrolling them back?
    Fine by me. But not exactly in line with your call to "outlaw war."
    I do not mind war, violance and competition. As long as innocent people does not get hurt.

Pacifist will tell you that "You can not solve a conflict with violence". But that is obviously just bullox. In this world majority of conflicts are solved by violence.

But formalizing war would save a lot of civilians a load of crap.

In the old times according to the history books in Sri Lanka confilcts between different nations never pillaged nor raped bystanders. A christian priest writes about this in an report. He is ashamed of his fellow christian country mens behavior as they stoop to looting and raping but the buddhist inhabitants did not.

So no I would not mind violance to bring peace. Some police actions require violence to bring peace. Nothing wrong there.

But also it is nice to remember the ideals of Buddhism.

Buddha did not "break" his opponents he converted them. So the greatest victory on the battlefield or in single combat is to make your opponent see your point and at length become your friend.

A dead opponent is not truly beaten because he died shunning your beliefs. In a way he won too because he never gave in.

/Victor

• I think before everyone starts jumping on the band wagon and supporting the hunt for this "terrorist" You should hear the other side of the story. I attached the URL for this video, this man has some solid points and he really know what he is saying. There is much worse people in Africa then Mr. Kony. The people of uganda even have a rumor that he might be dead or even out of the country. One of the main reason I don't agree with this video is that it was funded by George Bush, Cheney, Blaire and all those guys. I think it is just another way to keep their war machine moving. So, before you jump and go to purchase one of those kits, Remember on 30-35% of the money sent to the Invisible Children foundation actually gets sent over to Uganda. All of these facts are available online and in this video. i don't know how to make a thumbnail come up but I hope you watch it.
    There are many other groups, nations even, that enlist children as Soldiers.
    Having children kill their parents and commit horrendeous crimes to other people and other children is a way for some of these movments to tie them closer to themselves.

Why Kony is so bad compared to others I do not know.

Other (better?) ways to help maybe?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_to_Stop_the_Use_of_Child_Soldiers

http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6115947/k.8D6E/Official_Site.htm

and here is some info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_use_of_children

/Victor
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Kony messed up bad!!
    Jason Russell, co-founder of the controversial nonprofit Invisible Children and the star of its ultra-viral fundraising campaign video KONY2012, was arrested last night in the San Diego neighborhood of Pacific Beach for masturbating in public while under the influence.
    http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/16/didnt-see-that-coming-of-the-day/