Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Portrait of Shakymuni Buddha

NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone, newbie here :).

I searched for images of Buddhas and found this one portrait of the Shakymuni Buddha.

Does anyone know about this portrait and the history how this portrait was discovered? Searched around, but not finding anything.

See attached image.

The Chinese characters at the bottom of the portrait:
Shakymuni Buddha at the age of 41.
Buddha's disciple Purana drew the portrait of the his teacher.
This portrait is currently kept at England's Royal Museum and considered as national treasure.

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I've been a Buddhist for a while now and its the first time I've even heard of the notion that an actual image of Shakyamuni Buddha may exist. My opinion is that its probably not authentic, but I have no idea.
  • I have never come across an actual picture that claims to be a portrait. I think this image is probably like those images you see of Jesus, just the artists impression of what the guy may have looked like using logic and maybe some historic resources. Who knows... I doubt the answer will never be answered.
  • First, I've never heard of a disciple named Purana. Second, any art historian would laugh at the suggestion the realistic portrait above is from 500 BC. Third, the paints available at that time would have deteriorated in spite of and even because of the early efforts to preserve it and it certainly wouldn't look like a new painting.

And lastly, the earliest known images of Buddha are from about 100 AD, some 600 years after his death, and those are crude icons. The early Buddhists discouraged images of their founder and used the stupa or abstract designs to represent their religion in their artwork.

• ToshTosh Veteran

And lastly, the earliest known images of Buddha are from about 100 AD, some 600 years after his death, and those are crude icons.
    And the traditional image we have on statues is actually a rip off of the Greek God Apollo! Serious. Google if you don't believe me.

• It reminds me of when a show on History Channel depicting a Roman siege or something uses black and white scratchy footage to create a feeling of ancient times . :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
    ...and finally....

why does he look oriental, if in fact the Siddharta Gautama came from northern India.....?

just a minor point....

(At a push, he might look Nepalese or Tibetan - at a push - but Chinese.....? Urm.... i don't think so somehow.....)
  • and finally ....finally ....a moustache!?!?

sorry ..couldn't resist :D ..

have a very very good day all.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2012
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
    @Cinorjer

Opps typo in dispciple's name. The name is Purna Maitrayaniputra.
    Purna is one of Shakyamuni Buddha's ten major disciples. Noted as foremost in preaching the Law.
  • @Cinorjer

Opps typo in dispciple's name. The name is Purna Maitrayaniputra.
    Purna is one of Shakyamuni Buddha's ten major disciples. Noted as foremost in preaching the Law.
    Yeah, no change on the bogus nature of the information about the painting. On top of everything else, if the British Museum did indeed have such a painting, one even suspected of being such a miraculous thing, then this treasure would be mentioned somewhere in their Asian and Buddhist collection online. All I can find are a couple of references from some website where it seems copies of this painting are being sold someplace like Thailand. I don't know what language the Flicker account is in.

There are occasional fakes and frauds in the Buddhist market, same as any market.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    Searched Google images with this url http://newbuddhist.com/uploads/FileUpload/cc/7e9ecbe1ef260070500cb8fc2a21df.jpg yesterday and mostly Vietnamese websites/blogs came up with the same text and image as in the OP (translated by Google). A "Royal Museum" doesn't seem to exist in Britain.....
    It doesn't.

But it's amazing how some information - like Chinese Whispers really - can start off as something minor, and become a global verifiable "reality", just because it's on some website....
    How many thousands of people now believe there is a 'Royal Museum' in the UK?
  • Isn't everything in the UK "Royal"?
    :D
    Only if the queen wants it.
    she doesn't play monopoly a lot......
  • There is a Royal Museum in Toronto.
    http://www.rom.on.ca/exhibitions/wculture/index.php
    Leave it to the colonials...
  • I'm assuming whomever wrote the original information meant British Museum, but wasn't too familiar with that nation. And "national treasure"? Some painting from Asia? That person certainly didn't know the UK very well at all. From my time there, the only national treasure ever spoken about are the crown jewels and certain soccer players.
    edited March 2012
    Sir David Attenborough and Stephen Fry have been designated National Treasures.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/25/sir-david-attenborough-britains-greatest-living-national-treasure_n_1112506.html
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    He looks a little like an Asian George Harrison, haha!
  • Sir David Attenborough and Stephen Fry have been designated National Treasures.....

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/11/25/sir-david-attenborough-britains-greatest-living-national-treasure_n_1112506.html
    *cough*.......

not in my lifetime......!