Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how do nb members relieve stress in their every day lives ?

Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
edited March 2012 in Diet & Habits
Thank you @leonbasin for the idea.

I was wondering if anyone has a routine that they do each day to ease stress. We all got stress and know that it wrecks havoc on our system...

Anyway, I thought maybe we could share and exchange some ideas...maybe learn new ways we haven't thought about...

I like to take long 4 mile walks around my neighborhood. There are some great trails, too. I always get lost in nature. The trees, the rivers...its so alive.
DaltheJigsaw

Comments

• I work out. Possibly run. I might even take a walk like you said @Lady_Alison . Nature is alive.

If I am greatly stressed, however, I just force myself to push through whatever issue I am having until it is gone. I might cry about it, or become extremely frustrated, but I'll be crying as I'm working through a solution. At least that way the issue get resolved quicker.

Small day-to-day stress, however, I just force myself to calm down. If a person is the cause of the stress, I try to put myself in their shoes. That usually keeps me from freaking out.

I really should meditate more, but most days of the week I don't have time because I am in school for 12 or more hours. I used to be a lot more calm when I mediated every other night.
  • Hi Lady. Meditation.. there are different styles of meditation. For me it is zazen. Zazen makes space for everything as-is. Stress is dukkha. Meditation is non-dukkha. Stress involves wanting this moment to feel different than it is. Stress involves two things ... Me, and how it is, how it feels right now. Meditation is "not two"... meditation is "how it is", alone. No stress, no Dukkha. IMHO resolving to practice Buddhism means resolving to learn and practice "no escape" from whatever state bodymind presents, regardless of quality.....through meditation.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Nothing very Buddhist about this, but a nap every afternoon unless I am traveling.
    Beej
  • Well if stress arises I tend to sit down (if I am not already :p ), and I observe it. Where has it come from, what causes have brought this emotion into being and then I watch it pass eventually. If I am in mid conversation I still try and do this while conversing. I read recently by the Dalai Lama that our one real enemy is afflictive emotions because they are inside of us wherever we may happen to be or to go. An outside enemy we can put some distance between and then can even become positive, but afflictive emotions are what cause out suffering and eventually our physical health to worsen.

There are also some material, far less profound things that help me to feel less stressed, I sometimes will watch comedy on my computer, sex of course releives stress, but that is not the purpose for sex, I am not that shallow :p
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    i come here. a lot.
    You guys wouldn't believe the amount of stress i am under at the moment.
    But I look at the amount of stress you guys are under, and i figure.....i can take it..... :)
    Beej
  • There is that quote that says something along the lines of

"if everybody could come together and bring all of their stress and worries into one place, each individual would gladly leave with their own problems."

I hope things smoothen out for you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    i've heard that one......i think it's kind of what i meant.... thanks, Tom.... :)
  • I tend not to get stressed and on the odd occasion that I do, it's usually over some totally unimportant shit so I just ask myself what the fuck am I stressed about and take five minutes to get it all back in perspective.
  • When there is stress, there is nothing but stress. That itself ends stress on stress.

Other than that i just ride the stress out like a wave.
  • @taiyaki....eating pizza?
  • :wave: @richardh and @ittybittybat

I also wonder if socializing helps stress. I have a great group of friends who I hang out with...an hour with them makes me feel better.

Oh yeah! I recommend everyone to download Pandora radio. They have a comedy channel.

And subscribe to some sort of daily dharma too.

This one is free http://www.audiodharma.org/talks/
  • @taiyaki....eating pizza?
    When mindfully eating pizza. Where is stress? :p
    Beej
  • Yoga, meditation, planned downtime with a good book.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    The other day I was stressed out about my vision. So I made an appointment with an ophthalmologist, and leading up to that appointment was more stress. And then I remembered to reset my mind a bit by remembering that every time in the past when I have stressed out about something, the worst case scenario has maybe only happened once or twice in my life. Nor has the best case scenario usually happened in a real stress situation. Virtually always what has happened is something in the middle -- something I can deal with.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Meditation :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Walking, Stargazing, smoking, drinking, drugs, hanging with friends, taking an ultra-long shower, meditate, video games, napping, ...you name it, I've probably tried it.
  • Nothing very Buddhist about this, but a nap every afternoon unless I am traveling.
    Sleeping has been called the po' man's meditation.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    I like to cook when I feel stressed. Sometimes meditating is a bit too much of an ask if I can't slow my brain, so i'll cook to unwind, then maybe I can meditate after doing some cooking. I also find cooking a good way to 'neutralise' my thoughts.
  • @dandelion...i've gone through times where I feel like I can't do anything right and instead of wrestling with my life situation and things I can't do anything about,I surrender to something I can...

Cooking is one thing I know how to do very well....I completely understand...everyone I know eats well when I'm stressed....almost gourmet!
  • I do several things, things that really need mindfulness to do safely or well. So cooking is one, i already am clumsy enough to cut myself Knitting or crochet. Right now I tend to look forward to the next sangha or sunday for church.

then what no one else said, play with children! Best part of my job. Sure I do not exercise much but 3 hours on the playground yesterday was at least outside and constant walking (okay it helped I didn'tneed to give out any bandaids) I had an hour one-on-one with a special needs little girl, gross motor skills and does not talk. We went down the slide a couple dozen times.

Seriously, go to a park and swing, see how you feel.
  • :wave: @richardh and @ittybittybat

I also wonder if socializing helps stress. I have a great group of friends who I hang out with...an hour with them makes me feel better.

Social connection, feeling like a part of the human world, friends. Makes life worth living.. maybe the most most awful feeling is loneliness.. not aloneness.. but loneliness.

• um thinking of social connection, I will leave my thought there but there is another way to relieve stress in my mind ( :p
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Video games!
    Beej
    Video games!
    moderating!

you can tell when I'm really stressed....
    I ban @Lincoln.......

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Breathing in and out. :)
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Meditate, run (which I basically use as "fast walking meditation" :p ), eat, play guitar/bass, listen to loud music.
  • Video games!
    Hahaha Brian, that is one of the very few things that does get me stressed :banghead:
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Video games!
    Hahaha Brian, that is one of the very few things that does get me stressed :banghead:
    Katamari is the best stress relieving game! You're a tiny alien who has to make a ball to be turned into a Star/Planet by clumping objects on Earth. You start small and eventually can pick up larger and larger objects. Sigh. So much fun to destroy cities...
    I think the general consensus is - distraction.
    Whether skilful or mindful, that is for each to decide for themselves...
    All I know is, i'm not too good a Buddhist at the best of times - whatever that means - but my interaction with others, both on this forum and others, keeps me mindful of my attitudes and speech....
    and distracts me from matters which, if over-focussed on, would drive me squarely round the bend....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    if over-focussed on, would drive me squarely round the bend....
    Exactly. With stress... if there is something to be done about it, then do it! But if not... it's best to distract... Unless you're one of those phenomenal people who really can just "let go" of something even without distraction. I wish...
  • if over-focussed on, would drive me squarely round the bend....
    Exactly. With stress... if there is something to be done about it, then do it! But if not... it's best to distract... Unless you're one of those phenomenal people who really can just "let go" of something even without distraction. I wish...
    I was contemplating this the yesterday in fact. I felt as if I was in the middle of total chaos, but in total chaos with bliss. Everyone I knew around me was either in deep worry, frantic or angry. My mother had emailed me about some things and I could feel her stress, my partner was bouncing off of the walls and people outside were arguing quite loudly. I observed all of this and realised that people really do find it hard to let go of such simple things. Also I realised that quite often people who are seen as somewhat generous and kind still have an ego that they attach to and which causes all kinds of problems. Anyway in the end I tried to settle my mums frantic stressed out mind, tried to make my partner see with clarity and the saw that the arguing outside slowly faded away.
  • vlroxvlrox Explorer
    Video games!

Ha video games stress me out too. I want to win and if i can't then i keep on trying lol.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I just try to get away from it all, to go to a quiet place to give myself some time to think and wind down. I'm a bit of an introvert really, so spending time on my own does wonders.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Right now it's bike riding. Up hills. I tend to do that when I am stressed.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    A few episodes of how I met your mother or Seinfeld, or some stand up (Louis C.K. or Chris Rock) some delicious treats and a soft place to lie down :)

• Turn off the TV/radio/news
    Exercise
    Meditate
    Be in nature
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Welcome you!:) Glad you back? I hope??? I meditate, work-out, run, eat sushi,ice cream or tea, talk to friends, go out with friends, sex, comedy, musicals.

• I was wondering if anyone has a routine that they do each day to ease stress.
    I like to take long 4 mile walks around my neighborhood. There are some great trails, too. I always get lost in nature. The trees, the rivers...its so alive.

Hey, check it out, Alison is back! :):)

Nature is good for de-stressing. There's a walk I do in town that takes me through a shady neighborhood with tall trees, across a grassy field through a park, and back toward the beginning (it's a loop) along a river. I love the sound of water gurgling, and the wind in the trees.

If for some reason I'm not able to go out and take the time for the walk, I fill the bathtub with hot water and just soak. The hot water melts the stress away. You can add soothing music, if you want.

Beej
  • Anicecupofteaandasitdown

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

:clap:
  • Hey, 1000oddsocks is back, too! It must be reunion week on NB! :)
  • One way of destressing I just remembered is to do slow, deep breathing, "yoga breathing", and visualizing soothing light (whatever color works for you) coming into your system and pervading your whole body, and then passing back out. Stay focussed on the breath, watching it pass through your nose, down your throat, into your belly (push it down with the diaphragm), then slowly let it rise back up and out. Watch the light enter, and make a slow exit. This gets your mind off whatever it was you were stressing about--what was it? See, you've forgotten already, lol! :)
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Sometimes I just have to remind myself that "this too will pass." I try to look at what my true feelings are, and whether I can do anything or not about the situation. If not, I have learned to let it go, though I can't say there is anything magic i can do to do that. It's just come with time.

My biggest help, is to prevent stress. Obviously it's not possible all the time, but for me, much of my stress was due to putting things off and then everything crashing down at the same time. There are some things I simply hate doing, and thankfully I've finally learned putting them off doesn't help ;)

On those days I'm stressed and can't fix it but can't let it go, I try all sorts of things, sometimes different things work. Sometimes, I sit down and cuddle with my 3 year old. Sometimes, I just go outside and take some deep breaths. That works really well for me in the winter, the cold, crisp air does wonders for me. I go for walks, or hikes, or just take myself on a me-date. But overall, exercise is the best stress reliever (and also stress preventer) for me. I lift weights 3 days a week, and I do a lot of walking and hiking and rollerblading otherwise. Right now, I have a foot problem and can't get into the doctor for another week, so most of my exercise beyond weights is out :(

Another thing that works really well that I don't think was mentioned, is pets. There have been numerous studies about how bonds with pets decrease stress. We have a dog and 2 ferrets, and it's impossible not to let go of things and just have fun and smile when playing with them. Dogs especially just look at you with such a look of love and devotion, and the ferrets lick my toes and climb all over me. Also, going for a drive can relieve stress for me. But sometimes it causes stress, so it just depends on the day, lol.
  • This thread was started in March, Allison isn't back.
  • Kangaroo said:

This thread was started in March, Allison isn't back.

Darn!

This discussion has been closed.