Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should a Buddhist monk discard his robe for a suit?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Lama Marut just started to wear suits instead of robes.

http://lamamarut.org/2012/05/why-im-not-in-robes/

"Lama Marut here talks briefly about his decision to teach publicly without his Monk's robes, with at least part of the goal being not to appear better THAN others, but to sincerely be making efforts to be better FOR others."
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    When what's important in Buddhism comes down to what kind of clothing one wears...well, there's something wrong with Buddhism.

I remember visiting a temple in Ubon Ratchathai in Thailand. My mother and sister were with me. I was invited to meet the Abbott, who was apparently widely known (at least in Issan). He was somewhat old, but still physically very active. In fact, he was hoeing and pulling weeks in his garden at the time. He was rather disheveled, and his penis and the rest of his male anatomy were completely exposed to the children nearby, the young lady who had brought us over to be introduced, and my mother. But, I guess to some that was fine -- he was wearing the traditional saffron robe.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Back in the hippy dippy 70's in Zen, we used to call Trumpa Ripoches's Dharmadatu desciples.."the Suits" because that's what he encouraged them all to wear as the Western equivelent of a robe.
    Personally I think if it's a suit, one might consider keeping it's cost to under a $100.00 or second hand to match the sewn rags of the Buddha's robes. I have never understood (or perhaps I have) what some monks indulgence in robed finery really says.
  • I don't see why what one wears is important. Though to be honest if monks are wanting to move to more modern clothes wouldn't simple jeans and shirt be more appropriately than an expensive suit? I think suits can sometimes be used as a status symbol to make yourself seem superior to others, not saying that is the case here, but I think that is how it could be seen by some people.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I remember visiting an historic small chapel, hewn into the side of a cliff face, in Italy... It was august and the temperature was in the low 30 degrees centigrade... i wore a pair of denim sorts and a strappy top, and a floppy straw hat...I think I was about 19...
    The 'guardian' of the chapel, a local catholic priest, came running out of his little hut, cassock flying, red-faced and angry....
    He told me in no uncertain terms I could not possibly enter the chapel dressed like 'that'... it was indecent and disrespectful...
    I turned on him and told him that everybody - including Jesus - had been born naked, and that I didn't for one moment suspect God would object - but he was adamant.
    so I turned to leave, saying, "this, all from a man wearing a dress....." :rolleyes:
    Bunks
    I don't see why what one wears is important. Though to be honest if monks are wanting to move to more modern clothes wouldn't simple jeans and shirt be more appropriately than an expensive suit? I think suits can sometimes be used as a status symbol to make yourself seem superior to others, not saying that is the case here, but I think that is how it could be seen by some people.
    I'm kind of in the middle about it. I like a degree of tradition, so I would prefer a continuation of saffron in some way, but perhaps more modern in some way. And I'm sure many monks would prefer to continue the saffron robes.

I think that religion has long been too wrapped up in apparel. When I was a Catholic it was still a rule that women had to wear something on their head before entering a Catholic church. Gee, did God really care? And so with monks, do they have to be wearing a saffron robe or all their wisdom will evaporate? Is it just that we lay people like a postcard picture view of Buddhism?

I remember visiting an historic small chapel, hewn into the side of a cliff face, in Italy... It was august and the temperature was in the low 30 degrees centigrade... i wore a pair of denim sorts and a strappy top, and a floppy straw hat...I think I was about 19...
    The 'guardian' of the chapel, a local catholic priest, came running out of his little hut, cassock flying, red-faced and angry....
    He told me in no uncertain terms I could not possibly enter the chapel dressed like 'that'... it was indecent and disrespectful...
    I turned on him and told him that everybody - including Jesus - had been born naked, and that I didn't for one moment suspect God would object - but he was adamant.
    so I turned to leave, saying, "this, all from a man wearing a dress....." :rolleyes:

:lol: In Thailand, when you go to visit the Temple Of The Emerald Buddha in Bangkok -- the most revered temple -- and a national shrine -- in the nation, if you are not dressed "appropriately", they give you something to don over your clothes. Which, if that's the tradition they prefer in their country...well, okay. But again, is that what's important?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Who is Lama Murat ? Whats his lineage and whats his story ?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Gelukpa Buddhism, Geshe Michael Roach (Root Guru).

more info: http://lamamarut.org/about/

His teacher has a lot of controversy behind him. Marut is a diamond though.

Either way just passing the information along.
  • Who is Lama Murat ? Whats his lineage and whats his story ?

I don't understand how a questionable teacher can have legitimate heirs.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

I don't understand how a questionable teacher can have legitimate heirs.
    Chogyam Trungpa was quite the controversial teacher as well.

From him came Pema Chodron & Reggie Ray, just to name a few goodies.

Anything possible, the ground is infinite.

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Well no, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was completely different. He may have had his characteristics -- but he knew his stuff. That is widely acknowledged and understood.

This other guy is something altogether.
  • S Suzuki talks about when he first started at the San Fransisco Zen Center that he was determined to wear simple robes. He learned early on (when he conducted a funeral in his simple robe and the family was offended that their loved one did not receive the "full treatment" including a roshi in a proper ceremonial robe) that clothes are for others, not one's self.
    BhanteLucky
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Many monks explain the value of ornate robes with a reasoning that reflects their understanding and priorities. Thank god we've long since evolved beyond the buddha's strange preoccupation for teaching his desciples to dress as renunciates.
    I wonder why the buddha risked offending others by not wearing a crown & jewels?
  • "The Buddhist monastic robe is so versatile that it can be used, besides what is already mentioned [as clothing], as a blanket, a seat-spread, a groundsheet, a head-cover, a windbreak, etc. It is easy to clean and repair. It is perhaps the oldest style of dress still in fashion after 2,500 years.

The robes serve not just as a kind of uniform to remind the wearer that he or she is a member of a larger universal community, but is itself an object of reflection to be worn "properly considering them: only to ward off cold, to ward off heat, to ward off the touch of insects, wind, sun and reptiles; only for keeping myself decent" (M 1:10). Above all, they remind the wearer that he or she has committed him or herself to high spiritual ideals — to master the Dharma, liberate oneself and show others the Way."

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhistworld/robe_txt.htm

Ajahn Sumedho said that the idea of the monk's appearance - plain robes, no hair, no eyebrows (in Thailand) - was to remove choices from his life. No need to worry about how to comb his hair, which suit to wear, etc. Eventually, he expanded this idea and called it "The Practice of No Preferences."

Other than that, I think a 6x9-foot piece of cloth dyed with the sap of the jackfruit tree is very cheap and easy for a poor villager in SE Asia to donate. How would a villager donate a suit - ask the monk to visit a tailor's shop for a fitting? ("Which side do you dress, Bhante?")
    :p
    Inc88
    ^^ Yes, of course you are right. Buddhism will thrive if we keep in in the Dark Ages...oops...even older than the Dark Ages.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    At least monks don't use former burial cloths for their robes anymore...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I don't know what all the fuss is about... a Catholic priest doesn't always wear a cassock... Lama Surya Das wears western clothes all the time....
    Does what i wear make any difference to what I say and do?

Why is appearance so critical?
    I wouldn't even be considering this question if I was blind.....

Ah.
    I don't know what all the fuss is about... a Catholic priest doesn't always wear a cassock... Lama Surya Das wears western clothes all the time....
    Does what i wear make any difference to what I say and do?

Why is appearance so critical?
    I wouldn't even be considering this question if I was blind.....
    I think you make good points, but in my view all the fuss is about the relatively un-evolving status of the way monks live and whether or not that unchanging nature of monk-life will have a long-term affect on Buddhism. It is my view that it is having a negative impact on Buddhist life in Thailand since the number of monks is declining somewhat sharply and quite a few temples are closed or at least "understaffed".

If you are a monk it is good to show you are a monk. The robes of the ordained are much more then mere clothing they symbolize renunciation of Samsara and morale discipline, The robes are also associated with one having cultivated highly valued states of mind, So if you are an ordained person it is in my opinion not good to teach without them, If one is engaging in worldly activities that may damage the robes it is better to remove them.
    I don' think anyone is saying that monks should simply wear street clothes.
  • how,
    Back in the hippy dippy 70's in Zen, we used to call Trumpa Ripoches's Dharmadatu desciples.."the Suits" because that's what he encouraged them all to wear as the Western equivelent of a robe.

You guys must have been psychedelic monks. :D
  • jlljll Veteran
    it does not matter what a monk wears.
    it is what is on his mind that matters.
    a monk's robe is like a uniform.
    it is immediately recognised as a symbol of someone who
    has chosen a spiritual way of life.
    however, it can be abused as some people don the robes
    for ulterior motives.
    lobster
    for ulterior motives.

:thumbsup:
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    Lama Marut just started to wear suits instead of robes.

"Lama Marut here talks briefly about his decision to teach publicly without his Monk's robes, with at least part of the goal being not to appear better THAN others, but to sincerely be making efforts to be better FOR others."
    Lama Marut seems rather clear about what he is doing. I wonder now if all clear thinking monks would give up their robes and what would probably happen thereafter...

• I can respect that, I think there is a 'middle way' lesson in this. I generally do not care much about the questions of dress or if it is ok to have a tattoo or a statue or whatever. It is only inside your own mind that you know if you are trying to look cool or impress someone or if you are just doing what you are doing. There is a point to be aware of the people and culture around you in order to not intentionally be offensive. I think it is ok to be compassionate towards others even when they may be limited in how they see others such as judging the clothes. And then there is a place to say that even if they take it seriously there is a limit. So wearing a suit so that there is no distraction and instead afocus on the teachings sounds good, going overboard to ge the best suit and make sure everything is perfect is also out of balance.

It reminds me of reading of the Quakers (I think it was that group) where to non-conform freely is important. They wore very plain, specific dress but it got to the point it was so noticeable because of the difference that it became attention getting. So they relaxed into a plain dress that also did not draw undue attention to refocus on the intention of their standa\rd
  • @how I recently watched the documentary about Chogyam Trungpa called "Crazy Wisdom" and there was a bit of footage where he explained why he gave up wearing robes. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines of: "When I am teaching and wearing robes, people only look at the robes, whereas when I am teaching and wearing a suit, people listen." It was very moving. He wasn't attached to his culture, his "look", his monk's identity it seemed. He just genuinely wanted to do what would help others benefit from his teachings in the best and most direct way. And yes, there was a really funny bit of footage about when the 16th Karmapa first came to see his centre in America and he told all his "hippy dippy" followers to go and get themselves a suit and to please give the place a good hoover!

I think there are so many subtle queues that we are constantly taking in from our environment and our reactions are informed by them - mostly subconsciously. There are studies on people being given medicine by people in white coats and others given the same medicine by people wearing normal everyday clothing, and the ones who got it from people in white coats (you may have guessed) have better results from the medication! Seeing since dharma teachers deliver a medication of sorts and want nothing more than that medication to help the people who have come to them, they will do anything that will help that medication to do its job. And if it would help to deliver the message while standing on their head they would probably do that too.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    When what's important in Buddhism comes down to what kind of clothing one wears...well, there's something wrong with Buddhism.

I remember visiting a temple in Ubon Ratchathai in Thailand. My mother and sister were with me. I was invited to meet the Abbott, who was apparently widely known (at least in Issan). He was somewhat old, but still physically very active. In fact, he was hoeing and pulling weeks in his garden at the time. He was rather disheveled, and his penis and the rest of his male anatomy were completely exposed to the children nearby, the young lady who had brought us over to be introduced, and my mother. But, I guess to some that was fine -- he was wearing the traditional saffron robe.
    I suppose Buddha said it was the Dhamma matters but when one sees the male anatomy, robe or no robe, one forgets the Dhamma!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    There it is, for all you guys out there. Never look down.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    Personally I think if it's a suit, one might consider keeping it's cost to under a $100.00 or second hand to match the sewn rags of the Buddha's robes. I have never understood (or perhaps I have) what some monks indulgence in robed finery really says.
    Robe or suit, it is still man-made. Finery too.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    I don't see why what one wears is important. Though to be honest if monks are wanting to move to more modern clothes wouldn't simple jeans and shirt be more appropriately than an expensive suit? I think suits can sometimes be used as a status symbol to make yourself seem superior to others, not saying that is the case here, but I think that is how it could be seen by some people.
    That probably has to do with attachment.
    lobster
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    <

I'm kind of in the middle about it. I like a degree of tradition, so I would prefer a continuation of saffron in some way, but perhaps more modern in some way. And I'm sure many monks would prefer to continue the saffron robes.

I think that religion has long been too wrapped up in apparel. When I was a Catholic it was still a rule that women had to wear something on their head before entering a Catholic church. Gee, did God really care? And so with monks, do they have to be wearing a saffron robe or all their wisdom will evaporate? Is it just that we lay people like a postcard picture view of Buddhism?

A degree of tradition sounds rather nice. Imagine if we would to change the uniform for scouts and girl guides.
    Er.... we have. The design of the Girl Guide and the Cub Scout uniforms has changed quite bit, actually.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    That is probably different from a robe giving way to a suit.
    While there are some parallel aspects, scouts don't wear their uniforms 24/7, monks wear their robes at least all their waking hours.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    I suppose one is a full time job and the other is not.
  • jll said:

for ulterior motives.

It is also what is on our mind that matters.
    sharonsaw
  • vinlyn said:

I don' think anyone is saying that monks should simply wear street clothes.

Come to think about it, it would be better than wearing nothing at all. I wonder if there is a story of a monk and his new robe ala the emperor and his new clothes!
  • jll said:

for ulterior motives.

It also matters what's on the layman's mind. When a monk dons a suit, one would be led to think different thoughts about a monk.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    the original monks robes were just patches from dead people sewn together.. should still be that way IMO. Im not so sure about this monks wearing suits thing. The robe is a symbol of renunciation, same with the shaved head, the bowl, etc. the robe is the ideal.. it's more important then the person themselves. This is why when monks give the precepts and such they have the fans in front of their faces, because it's the monk not the individual.

the robe also separates you as a world renouncer.. as it should. You are not supposed to be making friends and such as a monk, wearing jeans and the same clothes as a lay person also opens the monk up to "choice" in clothing, and likes and dislikes, which you are trying to avoid and lessen.

overall if I were a monk, I'll keep my robes thank you ;)
    how
    Jayantha said:

the original monks robes were just patches from dead people sewn together.. should still be that way IMO. Im not so sure about this monks wearing suits thing. The robe is a symbol of renunciation, same with the shaved head, the bowl, etc. the robe is the ideal.. it's more important then the person themselves. This is why when monks give the precepts and such they have the fans in front of their faces, because it's the monk not the individual.

the robe also separates you as a world renouncer.. as it should. You are not supposed to be making friends and such as a monk, wearing jeans and the same clothes as a lay person also opens the monk up to "choice" in clothing, and likes and dislikes, which you are trying to avoid and lessen.

So, you believe that Buddhism would falter and disappear if monks wore a more modern and/or practical apparel?

edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

So, you believe that Buddhism would falter and disappear if monks wore a more modern and/or practical apparel?

never said it would disappear... however it would fundamentally change a 2600 year old practice. As they say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I really do not see the point in changing and I don't actually see this becoming some sort of trend, at least not in Theravada(even though it appears this monastic is theravadan). I don't think I'd be against there being a choice though and I don't judge this monastic in any way for the decision.

and besides a robe is very practical! please I wish they were viewed as normal then I'd wear one in lay life ;). Even before I wanted to be a monk I always thought medieval and Chinese type robes were great. hell even the Romans and Greeks wore togas :). Stuffy victorian clothing and its descendants are for the birds.

also if you get a chance to watch any talks by Ven Dr. K Sri Dhammananda, whom they talk about in the article, his talks are amazing and very poignant to modern life. He was a good friend to one of my teachers Bhante G.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Jayantha said:

Presumably, with enough spiritual "maturity" or "development,| even if one wears street clothes, one would keep it fairly simple, no?
    Jayantha said:

never said it would disappear... however it would fundamentally change a 2600 year old practice. As they say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I really do not see the point in changing and I don't actually see this becoming some sort of trend, at least not in Theravada(even though it appears this monastic is theravadan). I don't think I'd be against there being a choice though and I don't judge this monastic in any way for the decision.

and besides a robe is very practical! please I wish they were viewed as normal then I'd wear one in lay life ;). Even before I wanted to be a monk I always thought medieval and Chinese type robes were great. hell even the Romans and Greeks wore togas :). Stuffy victorian clothing and its descendants are for the birds.

also if you get a chance to watch any talks by Ven Dr. K Sri Dhammananda, whom they talk about in the article, his talks are amazing and very poignant to modern life. He was a good friend to one of my teachers Bhante G.

Cool, you just admitted it's an attachment.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Robes teach new monks about their practise and older monks how to teach. When the Buddhist practise of gathering rags from charnel grounds to sew into robes ended, it was Buddhism's loss.
    BhikkhuJayasaraInvincible_summer
    edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

Cool, you just admitted it's an attachment.

now now come on Vinlyn.. I'm sure we are well aware and past the knowledge that anything can be an attachment. That doesn't mean the practice is not purposeful and practical however, nor does it automatically discard the practice.

Jayantha said:

Presumably, with enough spiritual "maturity" or "development,| even if one wears street clothes, one would keep it fairly simple, no?
    well even lay people can have simple clothing. I wear plain simple clothing from Target. It's not the point of simple, it's the point of adding on more options of choice which allows for further attachment through likes and dislikes. The robes, bowl(only eating what is given), and other few things a monk owns are there to simplify life and allow for practice.
    Invincible_summercaz
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited February 2013
    how said:

Robes teach new monks about their practise and older monks how to teach. When the Buddhist practise of gathering rags from charnel grounds to sew into robes ended, it was Buddhism's loss.

Still happens, although rarely. I know of a modern thai monk in the Forest Tradition who has a robe made of corpse-wrappings. Apparently it took a LOT of washing to get the worst of the smell out, and it still smells faintly.

how said:

Still happens, although rarely. I know of a modern thai monk in the Forest Tradition who has a robe made of corpse-wrappings. Apparently it took a LOT of washing to get the worst of the smell out, and it still smells faintly.
    those post mortem bodily excretions are a bitch to get out ;P
    Invincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Chogyam Trungpa abandoned his robes for a suit. In his autobiography, he says this, after visiting a regional king who was taken out of the monastery to take the throne after his older brother (king) had died:

"This sudden change from the austerity of monastic training to the pleasures of the palace had upset his attitude towards life. This is an example of what often occurs in Tibet among incarnate lamas who have for any reason abandoned their vocation: some have died suddenly, while others seem to lose their purpose in life and become mentally deranged, or else their whole personality changes."
    Patr