Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christian Buddhist

edited July 2012 in General Banter
Is it possible to be Christian and Buddhist? What do you think?

Comments

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I would say no. There are methods of practice and there are views guiding the methods. You can practice methods but it would be hard, if not impossible, to reconcile the views of both.
  • Thank you for answering. I'm Christian but much of the Buddhist teaching resonate with me. Can you explain your answer a bit more. I
    'm confused.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @federica
    "Like!"
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2012
    @Lincoln - please check timing on thread posts...
    My post currently states 10.51pm and I actually posted this
    Yes.
    And No.

It's possible to be a Christian and practise all of Buddhism, but it's impossible to be Buddhist and practise all of Christianity.
    at 6:45pm...... nobody's changed the timezone preference....
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Thank you for answering. I'm Christian but much of the Buddhist teaching resonate with me. Can you explain your answer a bit more. I
    'm confused.
    This is not the first time this has come up.

I suppose it's all in how you define what Buddhism and Christianity are.

There are those in Buddhist circles who see Buddhism as a unified religion that you must take all or nothing at all. And, of course, there are Christians who see Christianity the same way. If that's how a person looks at it, then I suppose you can't be both.

I don't look at it that way. Wisdom is wisdom, wherever it comes from. There's a lot of Buddhist wisdom I admire and relate to...and some I don't (although much of that which I don't relate to may not be incorrect, but I've yet to see the evidence). There's a lot of Christian wisdom I admire and relate to...and some I don't). And there's a lot of wisdom outside of Buddhism and Christianity that's still wisdom, and we ought to be open to that, also.

I can also tell you that when I first began having an interest in Buddhism, I found a number of English-language publications distributed by official Thai Buddhist organizations that said yes, you can be both. And I have talked personally to monks who agreed with that position. I suppose there are those who would disagree.

But remember this -- no one is going to kick you out of Buddhism if you also practice some Christian principles, and no one is going to kick you out of Christianity if you also practice some Buddhist principles. Either religion is within you, not within a formal church or temple.

yuneifique
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Lincoln - and now, posts are being duplicated....!! :scratch: :wtf: :lol:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Sure let's see... God is Buddha/Emptiness, Buddha-Nature is the Holy Spirit, and Jesus was a man who was alleviating suffering through having realized and become one with God (Emptiness). And so in this way Jesus was God, but it would be no different for anyone else who realized the same. Siddhartha Gautama and many others have also found unity with truth and have expressed it for the benefit of others. Love others, including your enemies, as yourself... this is the universal compassion that we should understand as truly in accord with how life is. At this point Buddhism and Christianity find a shared ideal.

Of course this isn't taking Christianity literally. It's easier to find a union between Christianity and Buddhism if you think there's one driving force (the Holy Spirit or Buddha-Nature) that is moving us toward harmony with reality as-it-is (God or Emptiness) for the simple reason that because reality *is* this way it must eventually be seen and understood this way by the mind. That it's the same for Siddhartha Gautama and Jesus, just expressed in different contexts and using skillful means for people of different existing belief structures. Suffering is a by-product of ignorance, peace is a by-product of wisdom (of seeing reality clearly). It takes a kind of philosophical compromise to do this though; it's not easy to be a Buddhist Christian (Christian Buddhist) if you take things too literally and can't find possible common ground.

That's just my opinion though, I'm neither religious nor non-religious. ;)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Haruka -- If you want to be a Christian, go ahead. Just do a good job.

I don't know what aspects of Buddhism strike you as sensible or touch your heart, but I think you can take what you find sensible in Buddhism and leave the rest. Or you can give it a try. Buddhism may be important, but it's not that important. :)

Roughly, and without criticism, Christianity separates things ... as for example man from God. Christianity posits something else. It also contains what might roughly might be described as promises and threats. All of this and more like are par for the course and are OK if a belief system is what anyone is after.

But beliefs only reach so far. They are limited. And this limitation -- no matter how many books are written or how many sweet words are spoken -- will always leave an uncertainty in the believer's life. Buddhism sets out, in quite concrete ways, to put uncertainty to rest. It takes patience and courage and doubt. You won't go to heaven if you practice Buddhism and you won't go to hell if you don't. What you may get -- depending on your determination -- is some release from the doubt that belief inherently implies.

Take your time. It's your life and your choice. Being 'right' is not the point. Being happy is.
  • Thank you for answering. I'm Christian but much of the Buddhist teaching resonate with me. Can you explain your answer a bit more. I
    'm confused.
    This is not the first time this has come up.

I suppose it's all in how you define what Buddhism and Christianity are.

There are those in Buddhist circles who see Buddhism as a unified religion that you must take all or nothing at all. And, of course, there are Christians who see Christianity the same way. If that's how a person looks at it, then I suppose you can't be both.

I don't look at it that way. Wisdom is wisdom, wherever it comes from. There's a lot of Buddhist wisdom I admire and relate to...and some I don't (although much of that which I don't relate to may not be incorrect, but I've yet to see the evidence). There's a lot of Christian wisdom I admire and relate to...and some I don't). And there's a lot of wisdom outside of Buddhism and Christianity that's still wisdom, and we ought to be open to that, also.

I can also tell you that when I first began having an interest in Buddhism, I found a number of English-language publications distributed by official Thai Buddhist organizations that said yes, you can be both. And I have talked personally to monks who agreed with that position. I suppose there are those who would disagree.

But remember this -- no one is going to kick you out of Buddhism if you also practice some Christian principles, and no one is going to kick you out of Christianity if you also practice some Buddhist principles. Either religion is within you, not within a formal church or temple.

Thank you vinlyn that helps.
  • Thanks guys your rock stars
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    No. :)
  • No. :)
    Ok then ..... wanna expand on that..... maybe
  • SileSile Veteran
    I like to call it Buddheo-Christian ;)

But I use that in the sense of jokingly describing my own condition, which is former-Christian-now-Buddhist.
    yuneifique
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Can you be a Christian and hold onto the view of not self?
    Can you be a Buddhist and believe in a permenantly abididing god-man?
    While there are things from both faiths that can happily support or buttress one another when it's a matter of core tenets or ideas they are conflicting. I can be a Buddhist and study the writings of Christians, Sufis, and those of Judaism and find great inspiration, in fact I just bought two books on Rumi, but in the end my path is predicated on the path the Buddha outlined. I guess it's how one defines what a Christian or Buddhist is.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Its possible. But the goal for both is beyond religion. Thus if the essence is recognized then one can be both. But without the essence then its just another ideology and one is still bounded in dualism.

I would take the practical approach. Use what works in both. What works is a personal matter found through experimentation and living life. Because its experience over theory/belief you will then find the essence. Once you find that then you can see the unifying message.

Good luck.
  • I'm new here, but I thought I'd try and answer your question as a 'newbie' Buddhist:-

I don't think it is possible to be a Christian-Buddhist. The two belief systems are a very long way apart, and have a very different approach to dealing with life's issues. I was raised in the Catholic tradition, and I can now see how the most helpful aspects of that faith are actually similar to Buddhist practices (the Holy Rosary, the comforting feeling you get from saying the Lord's Prayer... these are mantras and it's all a bit like meditation!)

However, the approach of Christianity is to live life by a set of rules in the hope of salvation in a later life. These rules (like most religions) also give some justification for violence and intolerance, depending on your interpretation. Buddhism is pretty much free from all that. Buddhism also considers the questions of 'God' and the eternal nature of the universe to be pointless as they are essentially un-answerable, and, from my perspective, anybody who tells you that they can give you answers is probably lying.

If you want to give Buddhism a try, do it whole-heartedly. Read up on the absence of any concrete idea of 'God' in Buddhist teachings and consider if this might be a better fit for you. I certainly found that it was for me. I personally find more peace in the idea that positive actions breed positive actions rather than making sure I follow ancient rules in the hope that the 'Big guy in the sky' doesn't catch me out and send me to the fires of Hell. It's a simpler philosophy and I find it easier to accept.

That is not to say that any one faith is particularly better. I don't believe you can fully practice Buddhism whilst attached to the idea of a Christian God, an omni-present being watching over everything you do. As with everything, what works for you is probably what's best for you. Just my two cents!

Peace my friend.

edited July 2012
    Buddha Primarily taught the way to free oneself and others from suffering, The Buddhist faith is based upon purifying the mind of afflictions and developing virtue with penetrative wisdom
    Buddha also taught about the dependent origination of all phenomena and it doesn't leave room for an all powerful creating god. Buddhist base their faith on observation, correct reasoning, practical experience and the clarity of Buddha's teachings.

Buddha taught there is no Soul, only mind and an imputation of Self based upon the 5 aggregates which are subject to Becoming and dissolution.

Buddha also taught about the abandonment of wrong views in the pursuit of wisdom and that holding onto wrong views obstructions correct view which hinders release from suffering.

Many of the things Buddha taught completely destroy the basis of having faith in Christianity.

So it is not possible to be both at the same time they are contradictory not complementary.

:)
    I agree with @taiyaki, you if you go into the essence of both you may find a common understanding. On the surface level though there are big differences in the teachings. I suppose it depends on how you perceive Christianity and Buddhism. The Christian mystics often sound very Buddhist...
    Buddha Primarily taught the way to free oneself and others from suffering, The Buddhist faith is based upon purifying the mind of afflictions and developing virtue with penetrative wisdom
    Buddha also taught about the dependent origination of all phenomena and it doesn't leave room for an all powerful creating god. Buddhist base their faith on observation, correct reasoning, practical experience and the clarity of Buddha's teachings.

Buddha taught there is no Soul, only mind and an imputation of Self based upon the 5 aggregates which are subject to Becoming and dissolution.

Buddha also taught about the abandonment of wrong views in the pursuit of wisdom and that holding onto wrong views obstructions correct view which hinders release from suffering.

Many of the things Buddha taught completely destroy the basis of having faith in Christianity.

So it is not possible to be both at the same time they are contradictory not complementary.

In other words, it's not possible for YOU to be both. But, that's YOU.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

This seems to be a question of what people want, not what Christianity & Buddhism can offer.
    Many folks are content with the middle ground they find between Buddhism & Christianity. Their lives improve, they find focus & direction & meaning & are happy with their lot. Good for them.
    Buddhism's end goal however is to go beyond happiness to suffering's extinguishment and those seeking such a practise will eventually find fence straddling between those two religions an obstructive hindrance.

Just comes down to what you want and why some folks can & others can't.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The second noble truth would seem to undermine a belief in a permenantly existing self or god as this is a form of becoming and as such it is fuel for our continued suffering.

"Look at this world:
    Beings, afflicted with thick ignorance,
    are unreleased
    from passion for what has come to be.
    All levels of becoming,
    anywhere,
    in any way,
    are inconstant, stressful, subject to change.
    Seeing this—as it has come to be—
    with right discernment,
    one abandons craving for becoming,
    without delighting in non-becoming.
    From the total ending of craving
    comes dispassion & cessation without remainder:
    Unbinding.
    For the monk unbound,
    through lack of clinging/sustenance,
    there is no renewed becoming.
    He has conquered Mara,
    won the battle,
    gone beyond all becomings—
    Such. — Ud 3:10
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/paradoxofbecoming.pdf
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    @Haruka I recommend the excellent Thich Nhat Hanh book Living Buddha, Living Christ. It is a wonderful text which may help you contemplate these teachings.
    Yes.
    And No.

It's possible to be a Christian and practise all of Buddhism, but it's impossible to be Buddhist and practise all of Christianity.
    @Haruka I recommend the excellent Thich Nhat Hanh book Living Buddha, Living Christ. It is a wonderful text which may help you contemplate these teachings.
    Yes, it's an excellent book.

I always remember Anwar Sadat, not long before his assassination, lamenting that people around the world tend to emphasize differences, rather than similarities.

Yes.
    And No.

@federica -- This sounds good, but I doubt it.

• The differences are ultimately irreconcilable if the word God is taken literally as a permanent existing being.
    Make an island unto yourself! Strive hard and become wise! Rid of impurities and cleansed of stain, you shall not come again to birth and decay. [Dhamapada]
    Proverbs 1:33
    But all who listen to me will live in peace,
    untroubled by fear of harm.”
    If you read de Mello's work the differences are hardly noticeable.
    A disciple said to him, "I am ready, in the quest for God, to give up anything: wealth, friends, family, country, life itself. What else can a person give up?"
    The Master calmly replied, "One's beliefs about God."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Anthony_de_Mello
    The differences are ultimately irreconcilable if the word God is taken literally as a permanent existing being.
    Make an island unto yourself! Strive hard and become wise! Rid of impurities and cleansed of stain, you shall not come again to birth and decay. [Dhamapada]
    Proverbs 1:33
    But all who listen to me will live in peace,
    untroubled by fear of harm.”
    If you read de Mello's work the differences are hardly noticeable.
    A disciple said to him, "I am ready, in the quest for God, to give up anything: wealth, friends, family, country, life itself. What else can a person give up?"
    The Master calmly replied, "One's beliefs about God."

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Anthony_de_Mello
    Don't forget that some people see Buddhism as a philosophy, rather than a religion.

• GuiGui Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I used to pretend to be a Christian. Then I pretended to be an atheist. Then I pretended to be a Taoist. Then I pretended to be an existentialist. Then I pretended to be a Buddhist. Then I couldn't find the me who pretended to be anything in particular. So I don't.
  • Seriously you lot have been so helpful all of you Thanks
    Yes.
    And No.

Doubt what....?

:hrm:
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Is it possible to be Christian and Buddhist? What do you think?
    It could get a bit confusing.
    ;)
  • Is it possible to be Christian and Buddhist? What do you think?
    It could get a bit confusing.
    ;)
    Now THAT is closest to the truth. To find a belief system (as distinct from faith) that acknowledges both the Jesus and the Gotama messages takes work. I have found it deeply rewarding but, on the other side of all the study, the reflection, the meditation and the contemplation, I have finally realised that, as HHDL said to me and to Brother David, they are just doors.

We can choose to stand at the door and say that it is our destination but we are missing the point: a door is to go through and, on the other side, all distinctions, all differences and all labels disappear in the dynamism that Christians call kenosis and the Buddhists sunyatta. And 'it' (which is not even an 'it') is beyond words.

Perhaps, as Gurdjieff said, 'it' can only be danced.

In other words, it's not possible for YOU to be both. But, that's YOU.
    No @Vinlyn they are not compatible you can't have two religions to follow.
    edited July 2012
    On the level of literal belief, I don't see how the central tenet of Christianity, namely that of finding the way to God through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, can be squared with Buddhism. But Buddhist meditation can be practised by Christians by all means, indeed there are groups of Christian contemplatives that look to Buddhism in order to reclaim the contemplative dimension that Christianity has lost over time.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I know of Christians who are use Buddhist meditation techniques, but I'm not aware of it happening the other way round.
    I know of Christians who are use Buddhist meditation techniques, but I'm not aware of it happening the other way round.
    Yes, However what does that imply about their Christian belief ?
    that's not the issue, so let's stick to topic, and not diversify into our own micro-discussions on what we feel the implications are...

It's easy for you to say that. And yet, I know many people who meld their beliefs in various religions.

I also know people who are very firm against any consideration of other religions -- like Born Again Christians who are so strict in exactly the principle you just stated that they firmly believe that if you don't believe what they believe, you are going to hell.

Although we don't talk about it much on this forum, on some forums, and throughout the Buddhist world, there are many, many people who discuss whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. In fact, there are many who will tell you Buddhism is a philosophy that many Buddhists treat as a religion.

From your posts, you are clearly a person who believes Buddhism is a religion. That it is the only correct religion. It appears that you look at Buddhism in the same way that many Catholics look at their religion -- here is what you must believe.

And that's fine to have that belief. Just don't assume that we all believe in what you believe.

Yes.
    And No.

Doubt what....?

:hrm:
    Whatever inclusive divisions or divided inclusiveness you are getting at.

It's easy for you to say that. And yet, I know many people who meld their beliefs in various religions.

I also know people who are very firm against any consideration of other religions -- like Born Again Christians who are so strict in exactly the principle you just stated that they firmly believe that if you don't believe what they believe, you are going to hell.

Although we don't talk about it much on this forum, on some forums, and throughout the Buddhist world, there are many, many people who discuss whether Buddhism is a religion or a philosophy. In fact, there are many who will tell you Buddhism is a philosophy that many Buddhists treat as a religion.

From your posts, you are clearly a person who believes Buddhism is a religion. That it is the only correct religion. It appears that you look at Buddhism in the same way that many Catholics look at their religion -- here is what you must believe.

And that's fine to have that belief. Just don't assume that we all believe in what you believe.

I know many confused people who meld doctrines and get no where as a result ! There are some who see Buddhism as a philosophy and take it merely as a Intellectual pursuit and achieve nothing mainly because they fail to put into practice what they learn about.

with regards to what I actually said its fairly simple and it is very easy to say as I am not under the assumption that every religion teaches the same thing, There are many differences as well as similarities however it is not possible to follow more then one path whole heartedly because of various contradictions even those who do practice Buddhism as a philosophy in addition to their religion such as Christianity have to wonder why they need to make such an extra addition if their God has provided them with the correct understanding of how things should be.

I know many confused people who meld doctrines and get no where as a result ! There are some who see Buddhism as a philosophy and take it merely as a Intellectual pursuit and achieve nothing mainly because they fail to put into practice what they learn about.

with regards to what I actually said its fairly simple and it is very easy to say as I am not under the assumption that every religion teaches the same thing, There are many differences as well as similarities however it is not possible to follow more then one path whole heartedly because of various contradictions even those who do practice Buddhism as a philosophy in addition to their religion such as Christianity have to wonder why they need to make such an extra addition if their God has provided them with the correct understanding of how things should be.
    You, of course, may believe whatever you wish.

Father Laurence Freeman OBE is the leader of The World Community for Christian Meditation

• I've gotten more info here than I have in the weeks.
  • If anyone is genuinely interested in understanding the Jesus message and who Jesus was, rather than relying on the fairy tales they learned as children, there are a couple of books worth reading:
    Jesus: An Historical Approximation by J. A.Pagola
    and
    The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins by Burton Mack

These are not some sort of way out, New Age, 'Gospel of Judas'. 'Da Vinci' code nonsense but serious studies. Mack, in particular, is considered of real importance in Gospel studies.

Isn't it time that those of us who are adults recognised that the stories we were told (miracles, angels, elephant dreams, etc.) are myths and fairy tales but that, behind them, there are two extraordinary teachers, Jesus and Gotama, who brought us messages of liberation and compassion.

We live at a time when we have moved beyond a universe of crystal spheres and mythic pasts into one of deep time and an expanding universe. Use the methods and discoveries of our scientists, palaeontologists, cosmologists, etc. to understand and liberate ourselves from pre-Enlightenment darkness. Study Gotama and his followers, Jesus and his words, Spinoza and his writings, Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche and so many others. Arriving at the truth is a matter of hard work and study.

To imagine that there is a single 'answer', be it 'Christian' or 'Buddhist', is to shut our minds to the vastness of Truth.
    edited July 2012

To imagine that there is a single 'answer', be it 'Christian' or 'Buddhist', is to shut our minds to the vastness of Truth.
    I tend to agree. Still, what confuses me is the apparent paradox that any practice, whether Christian or Buddhist or Sufi or other, occurs in a certain framework of beliefs. Is it possible to separate belief and path? Take Christian mystics. They arrived wherever they arrived by believing in things like resurrection and miracles literally. Similar for Buddhist masters of the past, I think.

Although, on the second thought.. there have been cases of people experiencing a kind of awakening without much prior preparation. Jakob Böhme, a simple 16th century shoemaker, had such an experience, as I recall. Still, they were embedded in a particular culture of belief (Lutheran in Böhme's case) of their time.

Just thinking aloud here.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited July 2012
    the apparent paradox that any practice, whether Christian or Buddhist or Sufi or other, occurs in a certain framework of beliefs. Is it possible to separate belief and path?
    The paradox appears as one compares one form to another - motivation is different for all so the path is different for all - there are numerous levels in interaction (in any given moment, in a portion of space time there are lots of things going on) - there appears to be some convergance between us on various levels but not all and not at the same time it would seem.

'belief and path' in this context are taken as the same in nature (or separable as distinct at least) - belief is the sum of the mental connections that one relates to (born of actual or metaphorical physical connections) - 'path' however is a more complex/abstract concept - on one level it assumes the existence of a unified theory as well as a logical framework - It may be considered something that is constant and consistent in life so it is the foundation of each moment of change (however that is experienced by the subject) - it is given form by the observer - belief attaches to that form.

It is arguable in this sense to consider path as all pervading, discovered in facets by appreciation of the balance of the connections within the context of human logic.
    Thanks @Zero. I'd be also interested in a comment by @Simonthepilgrim, if it's ok with him to respond.
    I think I'm going to start a seperate thread shortly, because this is more general than OP's question. If there are any more responses to my question they can go there.
    If anyone is genuinely interested in understanding the Jesus message and who Jesus was, rather than relying on the fairy tales they learned as children, there are a couple of books worth reading:
    Jesus: An Historical Approximation by J. A.Pagola
    and
    The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins by Burton Mack

These are not some sort of way out, New Age, 'Gospel of Judas'. 'Da Vinci' code nonsense but serious studies. Mack, in particular, is considered of real importance in Gospel studies.

Isn't it time that those of us who are adults recognised that the stories we were told (miracles, angels, elephant dreams, etc.) are myths and fairy tales but that, behind them, there are two extraordinary teachers, Jesus and Gotama, who brought us messages of liberation and compassion.

We live at a time when we have moved beyond a universe of crystal spheres and mythic pasts into one of deep time and an expanding universe. Use the methods and discoveries of our scientists, palaeontologists, cosmologists, etc. to understand and liberate ourselves from pre-Enlightenment darkness. Study Gotama and his followers, Jesus and his words, Spinoza and his writings, Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche and so many others. Arriving at the truth is a matter of hard work and study.

:thumbsup:

I tend to agree. Still, what confuses me is the apparent paradox that any practice, whether Christian or Buddhist or Sufi or other, occurs in a certain framework of beliefs. Is it possible to separate belief and path? Take Christian mystics. They arrived wherever they arrived by believing in things like resurrection and miracles literally. Similar for Buddhist masters of the past, I think.

Although, on the second thought.. there have been cases of people experiencing a kind of awakening without much prior preparation. Jakob Böhme, a simple 16th century shoemaker, had such an experience, as I recall. Still, they were embedded in a particular culture of belief (Lutheran in Böhme's case) of their time.

Just don't think it's in the past. I can take you to quite a few temples in Thailand where there are mummified monks on display who were miraculously preserved for many decades.