Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can we know "God" exists?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited August 2012 in Faith & Religion
As some of you might know, I'm an Agnostic who draws inspiration from many faiths and philosophies. Primarily Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism. Still, one of the biggest difficulties I have is the notion of "God".

How do you view God? As a literal metaphysical being in the sky? As a state of being? As a force that transcends all? Not literally real, but a symbol that points to something beyond what we can comprehend?

Is there any evidence for God? Scientific, anecdotal or otherwise?

I want to believe that there is something. I certainly have a spiritual heart, but I also have a skeptics mind

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Moved to Comparing Religions. Advanced Ideas is really Advanced Buddhism Ideas. ;)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    To me God is the Dharmakaya (the Truth Body, Emptiness or Mind). Whether to be reified or not, whether a being (noun) or simply being (verb)... that's the question that probably can't be answered. It's the difference between Hinduism and Buddhism, and now apparently between some forms of Buddhism. That question seems to be rather pointless and distracting though, since the reality is experienced the same regardless. I think it's just clinging to bother arguing about it.

It's the Great Ocean. :D

The Father (God) is Emptiness/Mind; the Son is the Transformation Body (Human Form); the Holy Spirit is Buddha-Nature, which is God manifesting in Human Form... which applies equally to Buddha and Jesus. That's one way to look at it anyway!

If you wonder why sins are really against God, it's because they are against us, not simply because they were arbitrarily decided. They are life harming life, no true "self" and "other" (just "us"), and so these acts are delusion-based and separate us from our true unified reality. If we embraced our true nature, the Holy Spirit or Buddha-Nature, these issues would resolve themselves! Again that goes with the other perspective of Mind/Emptiness = God you'd have to accept first. ;)
    taiyakiVastmindDaftChris
  • Have you ever down something kind for a stranger for no reason and not expected something in return? That, my friend, is God.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited August 2012
    DaftChris said:

Ummm.... there is plenty anecdotal evidence of God out there. Eg: The Holy Bible, The Vedic literature, heck even the FreeMasons have an anecdote about the Great Architect.... the list goes on and on and on and on.

I'm not saying that it's true or that it's verifiable, but what exactly do you mean by anecdotal that's not one of those things?

And as far as science goes, particle physicists are busy trying to prove that there is a "God particle" with kasmillionbillion dollar machines in underground laboritories in a few different spots in the world.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @TheBeejAbides, If you're talking about the Higgs-Boson, it's not called the God Particle because it's actually a "God" Particle. That's a bit of a misnomer, it's misleading. :)
    In mainstream media it is often referred to as "the God particle", after the title of Leon Lederman's book on the topic (1993). Although the particle is both important and extremely difficult to prove, the epithet is strongly disliked by many physicists, who regard it as inappropriate sensationalism since the particle has nothing to do with God nor any mystical associations,[10][11] and because the term is misleading: the crucial focus of study is to learn how the symmetry breaking mechanism takes place in nature — the search for the boson is part of, and a key step towards, this goal.
    (Wikipedia)
    Well sure, the physicits don't call it the God particle, the media does. But please explain what you mean in a little more detail. I don't think that they will find it, personally, because I think they are looking in the wrong place. But I don't really understand physics that well so I might be missing the entire essence of it.
  • There is no evidence, that is why faith is required.
    edited August 2012
    @cloud- heh. you're edit was timely enough to make my post look like it was just flogging a dead horse.
    Cloud
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @TheBeejAbides, I don't know much about it myself. It's just that it has nothing to do with any God... the name is just something that stuck because of how much importance they're placing on it. I'm sure you could Google it; I'm not all that interested myself hehe. ;)
  • I grew up a Christian (went to church every Sunday and Wednesday until I was 18). Now at 22 I'm just starting to doubt the idea of there being a higher power. I especially am doubting the validity of the Bible. I think I am starting to view God as a hope that there is something more than just this life. That He will always be there as an answer to things we can't explain.

A lot of people (Christians) say that to just look outside is evidence of God, but that is really just a creationists point of view. Some say they experience Miracles, but as I stated earlier I think this is just using God as an answer to things we just can't explain yet.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I just really try to leave the whole concept behind instead of trying to fit God into a Buddhist framework.

If you want to believe in something spiritual Buddhism has plenty of stuff that is contrary to a physicalist philosophy. The notion of a mental continuation beyond a single life or the idea of karma that goes along with that. Not that all Buddhists believe that way but its there.
    yeah to me it seems like they are looking in the wrong place becaue it's is 'we' that give all this matter it's form by observing it. Like you have to find this particle inside of us, not in some collision underground. Like the seer and the seen becoming one? Like Buddahood or something? I'm sure I'm misusing some terminology. I'm also kinda tired. This conversation requires 20 oz of strong coffee after a good 5 mile bike ride. Good night, instead. :)
    Vastmind
  • SileSile Veteran
    Lol, 'nite, @TheBeejAbides!
    Beej
  • CloudCloud Veteran

@cloud- heh. you're edit was timely enough to make my post look like it was just flogging a dead horse.

Sorry I tend to edit many times. I like to get the basic idea out there, but then I want to refine it... it's a flaw of mine.

@cloud.... me too. I try to do it to correct spelling and grammar usually, but I'm not so great with those things. I'm a great dancer, though.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012
    DaftChris said:

As some of you might know, I'm an Agnostic who draws inspiration from many faiths and philosophies. Primarily Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism. Still, one of the biggest difficulties I have is the notion of "God".

How do you view God? As a literal metaphysical being in the sky? As a state of being? As a force that transcends all? Not literally real, but a symbol that points to something beyond what we can comprehend?

I want to believe that there is something. I certainly have a spiritual heart, but I also have a skeptics mind

I view God, in the sense of being the creator and overseer of humans and the universe, as a non-issue. Technically, I'm agnostic since I don't think that the existence of a being who transcends time and space can every be 100% proven or disproven. However, I see no evidence of God's existence, nor do I view the existence of God as a necessary requisite for my own existence, the existence of the universe, morality, etc., hence God being a non-issue in my life. That said, I, much like Einstein, think the concept of God in the Spinozan sense, who basically equated God with nature, has some merit, e.g., Einstein famously once said:
    It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems.
    As for the the question of God in Buddhism, I think that's basically a non-issue as well for three main reasons.

Reason #1: According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). This can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive. Either way, the point is the same: all that really matters in the here and now is whether suffering is present, and if so, how it can be overcome.

Reason #2: I think it's safe to say that Buddhism is essentially non-theistic in view. However, I also happen to be of the opinion that, if we dig a bit deeper, the idea of a creator God is incompatible with certain aspects and teachings that, if taken to their logical conclusion, seem to reject the idea of, or a need for, a creator God. For one thing, the logic of dependent co-arising, while primarily concerned with the psychological process by which suffering arises in the mind, negates the idea of a creator God in that it precludes a first cause or a causeless cause when applied to cosmology.

Then there's this famous problem of evil passage from the Bhuridatta Jataka (although, to be fair, this is most likely a later addition that some date to the 13th century):
    We see those rules enforced before our eyes,
    None but the Brahmans offer sacrifice,
    None but the Khattiya exercises sway,
    The Vessas plough, the Suddas must obey.
    These greedy liars propagate deceit,
    And fools believe the fictions they repeat;
    He who has eyes can see the sickening sight;
    Why does not Brahma set his creatures right?
    If his wide power no limits can restrain,
    Why is his hand so rarely spread to bless?
    Why are his creatures all condemned to pain?
    Why does he not to all give happiness?

Why do fraud, lies, and ignorance prevail?
    Why triumphs falsehood, truth and justice fail?
    I count your Brahma one of the unjust among,
    Who made a world in which to shelter wrong.
    Those men are counted pure who only kill
    Frogs, worms, bees, snakes or insects as they will,
    These are your savage customs which I hate,
    Such as Kamboja hordes might emulate.
    If he who kills is counted innocent
    And if the victim safe to heaven is sent,
    Let Brahmans Brahmans kill so all were well
    And those who listen to the words they tell.
    At best, God would have be more like the impassive and impersonal God of Aristotle, existing outside of time and space, to find a place within Buddhist cosmology; and anything existing outside of time and space would logically be completely static, meaning that God would be an undynamic being if God exists at all. Since everything within the range of our experience (i.e., within space and time) is subject to change, however, it's more logical to conclude that everything within our realm of experience is impermanent, meaning that for God to able to interact with our universe, God would also be temporal and subject to illness, aging and death just like every other being, hence not God.

In addition, according to AN 3.61, the belief in a supreme being can be unskillful and interfere with Dhamma practice if it leads to the belief that everything a person experiences is due to such a supreme being, a denial of the efficacy of kamma (literally 'action') and a life of inaction:
    Having approached the priests & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by a supreme being's act of creation?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of a supreme being's act of creation. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of a supreme being's act of creation.' When one falls back on creation by a supreme being as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my second righteous refutation of those priests & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.
    Reason #3: In relation to the four noble truths and the practice of the noble eightfold path, the matter of the existence of God is, soteriologically speaking, unnecessary. The impetus of the practice is a strong conviction in the efficacy of actions and the intentions underlying them, not the existence of a supreme being (e.g., see MN 61).

Of course, this doesn't mean that people can't believe in God and still practice the Dhamma, especially some of its more contemplative aspects; but it does mean that, at the very least, such views can negatively impact the practice when held inappropriately. Moreover, it's my opinion that attempting to insert a Judeo-Christian type of God into Buddhism, or interpreting Buddhism proper through the lense of theism, would do violence to the entire spiritual and philosophical tradition. It'd be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, and would do a serious disservice to the Buddha's teachings, which are geared towards reshaping our experience of the present in ways that limit and even eliminate suffering.

Your mileage may vary, however. :)
    personDaftChrisBhanteLucky

Well sure, the physicits don't call it the God particle, the media does. But please explain what you mean in a little more detail. I don't think that they will find it, personally, because I think they are looking in the wrong place. But I don't really understand physics that well so I might be missing the entire essence of it.

They've essentially found it, or at least a boson with mass between 125–127 GeV/c2 whose behaviour is consistent with a Higgs boson.

As for the nickname 'the God Particle,' it was given to the Higgs boson by physicist Leon M. Lederman in his book The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question? because the particle is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our final understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive." However, he originally called it 'the Goddamn Particle,' but changed it because the publisher wouldn't let him and his co-author call it that. Unfortunately, this nickname has engendered a great deal of confusion about what the particle is and what it actually proves.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I am a Christian and a Buddhist...but actually more probably in line with universalism, in terms of religion. I don't think there is a "right" religion, but I do think there are some "wrong" religions.

I do believe in a God, but not in the same sense as most Christians do. I've sometimes given the analogy of having a field outside your house, and one day you wake up and discover piles of boards, 2X4s, shingles, panes of glass, nails, bricks, bags of cement, and so forth. Would those piles and boxes of materials be a house? No. Someone still has to construct the house.

Back at university, in my studies of invertebrate paleontology, we learned about Stanley Miller's early tests where he took the substances that make up living things, essentially electrified the materials, and ended up with amino acids -- the building blocks of life. But it always bothered me that via evolution the first life form -- blue-green algae in the form of oceanic stromatolites would have haphazardly evolved over time into the iris of my eye, my heart, my brain. Too much of a mere coincidence to me.

But I also see no evidence that a God behaves in the way that most Christians feel "he" does. That he knows what we are thinking. That he decides all the important aspects of our lives. At best I feel we are created and then it's pretty much up to us what we do with our lives.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited August 2012
    The Buddha said
    "One who sees the Dhamma sees the Tathagatha. One who sees the Tathagatha sees the Dhamma.

One who sees not the Dhamma, though grasping at the robe of the Tathagatha, cannot be said to have seen the Tathagatha. "

Dhamma is the "Buddhist" God.

It is a profound and hidden power, which is neither human being, nor celestial being, nor any other kind of being.

It has no individuality or self, and it is impersonal.
    It is natural and intangible.
    It is what we call the Law of Nature, for this Law is responsible
    for creation and for the coming into existence of all beings..
    Natural Law governs all things.
    Natural Law has power over all things.

Extracted from "Two kinds of language: Everyday language and
    Dhamma language " by Bh Buddhadasa

The final barrier to finding God is the word “God” itself and the concept of God.”

"Whether or not there is the arising of Tathagatas, this property stands — this steadfastness of the Dhamma, this orderliness of the Dhamma: All phenomena are not-self.

"The Tathagata directly awakens to that, breaks through to that. Directly awakening & breaking through to that, he declares it, teaches it, describes it, sets it forth. He reveals it, explains it, & makes it plain: All phenomena are not-self."

Dhamma-niyama Sutta: The Discourse on the Orderliness of the Dhamma

taiyakiperson
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2012
    DaftChris said:

How do you view God?

As Buddhists, most of us are non-theists. We don't view God.

• Its what's left after all notions are given up.
  • What use is there in pursuing something we will never know in this life. If Christianity is real and God forgives you no matter what we're set, if an angry god exists we're all screwed; so what's the point of worrying about it? Worry about this life and how to be the best you can be.

(Correct me if I'm wrong) The Buddha said that worrying about gods is not something we should be doing in this life.
  • Even if there is a god, is he/she/it worth thinking about? Billions have cried out in agony down the ages ... is such an apathetic god, if he exists at all, worth thinking about?
    MaryAnne
  • when I stub my toe or see a nice set of boobies ZOMG!

You see I have to refer to something other than the contents of my own mind IE that which goes by another name. bleh
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I feel it's good to be open to possibilities, though I wonder how much of what people believe is really wishful thinking? I think the problem with discussing "God" is that it's become a meaningless term because it means so many different things to so many different people - or perhaps some people find the vagueness appealing because they don't have to decide what they do actually believe?
    Tosh
  • That's the problem with gods. Everyone has their own interpretations. Ask a Christian who they believe god is, and they'll each give you their own idea. The books create a canvas and the "believers" paint the picture. Religion isn't bad if it promotes peace, but I'm not sure if creating your own god and saying you're religious makes much sense.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Even if there is a god, is he/she/it worth thinking about? Billions have cried out in agony down the ages ... is such an apathetic god, if he exists at all, worth thinking about?
    Yes, the Holocaust doesn't argue strongly in favour of a loving creator God.
  • How do I view God? As the byproduct of the human consciousness mixing with our imagination and desire to be special and ability to believe without or even against evidence.

• ZeroZero Veteran
    DaftChris said:

Depends on what you mean by God?

"I searched for God among the Christians and on the Cross and therein I found Him not.
    I went into the ancient temples of idolatry; no trace of Him was there.
    I entered the mountain cave of Hira and then went as far as Qandhar but God I found not.
    With set purpose I fared to the summit of Mount Caucasus and found there only 'anqa's habitation.
    Then I directed my search to the Kaaba, the resort of old and young; God was not there even.
    Turning to philosophy I inquired about him from ibn Sina but found Him not within his range.
    I fared then to the scene of the Prophet's experience of a great divine manifestation only a "two bow-lengths' distance from him" but God was not there even in that exalted court.
    Finally, I looked into my own heart and there I saw Him; He was nowhere else."

"These words are for the sake of those who need words to understand. But as for those who understand without words, what use have they for speech? The heavens and earth are words to them, sent forth themselves from the Word of God. Whoever hears a whisper, what need have they for shouting and screaming?"
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Cloud said:

To me God is the Dharmakaya (the Truth Body, Emptiness or Mind). Whether to be reified or not, whether a being (noun) or simply being (verb)... that's the question that probably can't be answered. It's the difference between Hinduism and Buddhism, and now apparently between some forms of Buddhism. That question seems to be rather pointless and distracting though, since the reality is experienced the same regardless. I think it's just clinging to bother arguing about it.

It's the Great Ocean. :D

The Father (God) is Emptiness/Mind; the Son is the Transformation Body (Human Form); the Holy Spirit is Buddha-Nature, which is God manifesting in Human Form... which applies equally to Buddha and Jesus. That's one way to look at it anyway!

If you wonder why sins are really against God, it's because they are against us, not simply because they were arbitrarily decided. They are life harming life, no true "self" and "other" (just "us"), and so these acts are delusion-based and separate us from our true unified reality. If we embraced our true nature, the Holy Spirit or Buddha-Nature, these issues would resolve themselves! Again that goes with the other perspective of Mind/Emptiness = God you'd have to accept first. ;)

There is no creator God but this is an interesting take on things.
  • I know God exists because I've seen miracles happen and prayers answered. It's all the "proof" I need. I don't know what God is like really, but kind definitely fits, even if I don't always understand it. I don't believe God is cruel or punishing, and though I feel that way sometimes, I think that's just a problem with my perception. I have a very strong faith that God is good :) I also believe that God is just another word for Buddha nature. I think all the major religions are pointing to the same God at their core, beyond all the cultural differences etc. I don't think God is a separate entity from us - "the kingdom of heaven is within you" and I don't think he's a man on a cloud :lol:

I think that if you want proof that you just have to look hard enough and you'll find it. Maybe it won't be scientific proof, I think the experience of God is subjective, but it's there if you want to see it.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    IMO, By putting the fruit back on "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil" thereby removing the "original sin" of dualistic thinking, which allows you to return to the "garden of eden". Where human beings got kicked out of when they started making distinctions and preferences like good vs evil, pleasant vs unpleasant, I want vs I don't want, etc.
    ownerof1000oddsocks
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    caznamyaw said:

Right (I agree), that particular conception isn't of a creator, unless the creator and the created are one and the same. It's not of a separate or unchanging entity, if indeed entity is the word, but rather viewing these realities as the same. It's certainly not the typical Abrahamic version of "God". It's to look at the universe, at everything, and say this flowing interdependent web is what the Buddhist "Mind" means and also really what "God" means (at least I think that's what Jesus was pointing to, what he experienced, rather than the typical Jewish version).

The slant or emphasis that people (or traditions/religions) put on this Great Ocean differs. If you say "Emptiness" you likely envision it's completely selfless, "Mind" can mean both... either selfless or ultimate changing-self, and "God" or "Brahman" is mostly taken as an ultimate changing-self. No matter how you view it, this doesn't mean that we are or have "mini-selves"... nothing is apart from or "other than" the Ocean. If one takes Buddha-Nature to mean "true self", it's this Ocean that it's speaking of that is beyond self/other duality, not an "individual" true self.

We are just waves of the Great Ocean, meaning that the Great Ocean is "waving"... not things, not selves, just the Ocean. :D
  • Truth is not impersonal or abstract, but personal, even a person, sought and loved by the heart. :-)
  • Just a harmless little question. If nature is what some people call god, then why not simply call it nature and leave it at that?
  • Fear and laziness.

People are attach to signs.

Because the reality is impossible to capture, encapsulate.
  • And also if one doesn't call it God but instead nature. Its the same game. Attachment to signs forgetting that they actually have referents.

Many mystics get to this point and they recognize that any external projection of Other is their projection, thus filtering a pure perception of God.

Breaking such perception brings non dual union and the heart recognizes god as all things. This is pure gnosis.

Not really a Buddhist thought, but it common to hear and see in people who have recognized God in their hearts.

Of course that is a big fuck you to intellectualism and any rational thought. But heres the thing any intelligent person will come to the conclusion that mental objects are just mental objects. We can hope?
    BeejTelly03
    Cloud said:

caznamyaw said:

Right (I agree), that particular conception isn't of a creator, unless the creator and the created are one and the same. It's not of a separate or unchanging entity, if indeed entity is the word, but rather viewing these realities as the same. It's certainly not the typical Abrahamic version of "God". It's to look at the universe, at everything, and say this flowing interdependent web is what the Buddhist "Mind" means and also really what "God" means (at least I think that's what Jesus was pointing to, what he experienced, rather than the typical Jewish version).

The slant or emphasis that people (or traditions/religions) put on this Great Ocean differs. If you say "Emptiness" you likely envision it's completely selfless, "Mind" can mean both... either selfless or ultimate changing-self, and "God" or "Brahman" is mostly taken as an ultimate changing-self. No matter how you view it, this doesn't mean that we are or have "mini-selves"... nothing is apart from or "other than" the Ocean. If one takes Buddha-Nature to mean "true self", it's this Ocean that it's speaking of that is beyond self/other duality, not an "individual" true self.

We are just waves of the Great Ocean, meaning that the Great Ocean is "waving"... not things, not selves, just the Ocean. :D
    That sounds more like Vedenta. God mean's so many different things to so many people I find it unwise to use but rather to provide it as a reconciliatory basis for practising Buddhadharma. Many people experience miracles or help which they attribute to God but this rarely fits in with the Abrahamic version of it.

Buddha's and Bodhisattva's fit the description perfectly of beings who provide help and protection where they can to all beings without exception rather then attributing it to a creator who also created our experience of suffering. :)
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @caznamyaw said "Buddha's and Bodhisattva's fit the description perfectly of beings who provide help and protection where they can to all beings without exception rather then attributing it to a creator who also created our experience of suffering. "

:clap:
    caz
  • Lotus21Lotus21 Indiana Explorer
    The Buddha said
    "One who sees the Dhamma sees the Tathagatha. One who sees the Tathagatha sees the Dhamma.

One who sees not the Dhamma, though grasping at the robe of the Tathagatha, cannot be said to have seen the Tathagatha. "

Can you tell me what is the name of sutra this scripture came from?

Thanks,
  • The experience of suffering is relative to our self cherishing and pride.

What of the Theotokos (Mother of God), Saints, and Angels? All are regarders of the cries of the world. However, neither they or the Buddha's and Bodhisattva's can help the unwilling.

Also, are the Buddha's and Bodhisattva's just aspects of one's mind, or are they beings with the capacity to help?
  • @Silouan

Neither mind, nor beings.

Dependently arisen due to the whole universe of causes and conditions.

The spontaneous activity of all, traceless activity!

Oh my, oh my!!
    Vastmind
    edited August 2012
    Lotus21 said:

The Buddha said

Can you tell me what is the name of sutra this scripture came from?

Thanks,

Not sure where that exact quote is from off the top of my head; but variants like it can be found throughout the Pali Canon. For example, SN 22.87:
    Seeing the Dhamma

[The Buddha visits the Ven. Vakkali, who is sick]

Now the Venerable Vakkali saw the Blessed One coming from a distance, and tried to get up. Then the Blessed One said to the Venerable Vakkali: "Enough, Vakkali, do not try to get up. There are these seats made ready. I will sit down there." And he sat down on a seat that was ready. Then he said:

"Are you feeling better, Vakkali? Are you bearing up? Are your pains getting better and not worse? Are there signs that they are getting better and not worse?"

"No, Lord, I do not feel better, I am not bearing up. I have severe pains, and they are getting worse, not better. There is no sign of improvement, only of worsening."

"Have you any doubts, Vakkali? Have you any cause for regret?"

"Indeed, Lord, I have many doubts. I have much cause for regret."

"Have you nothing to reproach yourself about as regards morals?"

"No, Lord, I have nothing to reproach myself about as regards morals."

"Well then, Vakkali, if you have nothing to reproach yourself about as regards morals, you must have some worry or scruple that is troubling you."

"For a long time, Lord, I have wanted to come and set eyes on the Blessed One, but I had not the strength in this body to come and see the Blessed One."

"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma."
    Another variant in relation to dependent co-arising can be found at MN 28: "Whoever sees dependent co-arising sees the Dhamma; whoever sees the Dhamma sees dependent co-arising."
    Silouan said:

The experience of suffering is relative to our self cherishing and pride.

What of the Theotokos (Mother of God), Saints, and Angels? All are regarders of the cries of the world. However, neither they or the Buddha's and Bodhisattva's can help the unwilling.

Also, are the Buddha's and Bodhisattva's just aspects of one's mind, or are they beings with the capacity to help?

Buddha's and Bodhisattva's are actual beings.
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    I really like this quote:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Unkown, misattributed to Marcus Aurelius
    Telly03Cloudperson
  • @taiyaki

Relatively mind and being, but ultimately neither. :-)

Form is not negated, but would be seen as evidence of emptiness. Form is emptiness, emptiness is not other than form. Things truly exist, but we are mistaken in how we are conditioned to see they exist-Dependent Origination.
  • If someone is thirsty, you give them water. Carry on!
    edited August 2012

I really like this quote:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Unkown, misattributed to Marcus Aurelius

This quote (a version of Pascal's Wager) is also reminiscent of passages from AN 3.65 and MN 60. For example, from AN 3.65:
    "The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom four solaces are found here and now.

"'Suppose there is a hereafter and there is a fruit, result, of deeds done well or ill. Then it is possible that at the dissolution of the body after death, I shall arise in the heavenly world, which is possessed of the state of bliss.' This is the first solace found by him.

"'Suppose there is no hereafter and there is no fruit, no result, of deeds done well or ill. Yet in this world, here and now, free from hatred, free from malice, safe and sound, and happy, I keep myself.' This is the second solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) befall an evil-doer. I, however, think of doing evil to no one. Then, how can ill (results) affect me who do no evil deed?' This is the third solace found by him.

"'Suppose evil (results) do not befall an evil-doer. Then I see myself purified in any case.' This is the fourth solace found by him.

"The disciple of the Noble Ones, Kalamas, who has such a hate-free mind, such a malice-free mind, such an undefiled mind, and such a purified mind, is one by whom, here and now, these four solaces are found."
    And the same idea is echoed in MN 60:
    With regard to this, a wise person considers thus: 'If there is no causality, then — at the break-up of the body, after death — this venerable person has made himself safe. But if there is causality, then this venerable person — on the break-up of the body, after death — will reappear in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. Even if we didn't speak of causality, and there weren't the true statement of those venerable brahmans & contemplatives, this venerable person is still criticized in the here-&-now by the wise as a person of bad habits & wrong view: one who holds to a doctrine of non-causality. If there really is a next world, then this venerable person has made a bad throw twice: in that he is criticized by the wise here-&-now, and in that — with the break-up of the body, after death — he will reappear in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, in hell. Thus this safe-bet teaching, when poorly grasped & poorly adopted by him, covers (only) one side, and leaves behind the possibility of the skillful.
    ArthurbodhiSile
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited August 2012
    music said:

Just a harmless little question. If nature is what some people call god, then why not simply call it nature and leave it at that?

Those are the different words the various avatars used - Jesus called it God, Buddha called it emptiness (or something lol), Mohammed called it Allah and so on. Different mystics, different times, different words :)
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Thanks @Jason, I like that quote for a long time when I thought that was from Marcus Aurelius but I always thought that was reminiscent to Buddhism in some way.