Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A doubt coming in my mind - what to do - please suggest

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Hi All,

I have returned back to India from the foreign city office assignment and I am with my family now at my native place. A doubt has started arising in me - let me tell the background of it - when i was in that foreign city for nearly 2 months staying alone in a hotel room, then in weekdays except the usual office hours, i had all the time for myself there. so what i used to do was - i meditated in morning, then went to office, came back home, listened to dhamma talks/spiritual talks on internet and then after dinner, i meditated little bit and when my body started dropping because of sleepiness, then i went to sleep and again next day - the same routine followed. on weekends, had much more time to do these activities.

now i have come to my native place and i am with my family now. these days i have started getting up late in morning because it usually gets late to sleep at night. working during office hours. then the remaining time gets spent with my parents saying something to me, my daughter (now going to be 2 years old) asking my attention because she keeps on touching different things and we have to take care that she does not throw those things to ground, my wife asking my attention throughout the evening and then i sleep late at night because our daughter sleeps usually late at night and then i get up late in morning the next day - this thing keeps on repeating these days.

so you can see how much time of mine has got reduced from spiritual path and increased on worldly path. now in future, as my daughter starts getting older, her schooling will start and my involvement in these worldly things will increase.

so coming to the doubt now - in the past, it had happened to me that there were things, which i found interesting, did it for sometime and then those things did not seem interesting to me anymore and so i left those things - Now the doubt which is coming to my mind is - will this thing happen to spirituality and meditation too? that after sometime, i will not find it interesting and will loose interest in following the spiritual path and again go back to the worldly path. Obviously, it is complete stupidity of me to ask you all this thing, as this thing i can only answer for myself. But please tell me do any of you get this type of doubt in your mind and if you get, then how do you handle it? Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi misecmisc,

I think it is certainly possible to loose your interest in meditation and spiritual practice, but what drives this practice is suffering, and that is not going to go away on it's own. As someone said "the only thing harder than meditation is suffering". So once we have discovered meditation and spiritual practice, it's likely that we go back to it when we suffer too much.
    I also think there is more than enough to learn from spending time with your family. The buddha said that spiritual friendship is not half but the whole of the spiritual life, so I "just" by being a good (spiritual) friend to your relatives you are practicing the path.

Take care,
    Maarten
    robotMaryAnneJohnC.Kimbrough
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Sounds more like fear then doubt.. but both are interconnected. what to do?

be kind to your body and mind. So you have doubt, observe it come and go, try not to attach to it but if you do observe that as well.. and then whoa surprise, your practicing ;), and you thought you didn't have time.

Ajahn Chah said " if you have time to breathe, you have time to meditate". Don't think of your practice as something SEPARATE from your life and family..think of it as PART of your life, integrated into it. There is nothing your family can really do to take you away from your practice, only you do that.
    MaryAnneBunksJohnC.Kimbrough
  • Yep i do. i thought a bit about what you said so i could give u the best response. i think if u still enjoy buddhism u wont loose it because as humans we are naturally drawn to that which pleases us. life is subject to change and if u are goin to carry on ur path just learn how to adopt in to your circumstances for exsmple i mindfully breath and read dharma books when im on the train. buddhism is all about developing wisdom and compassion surely being involved with your daughter is putting your compassion to a great use. Basically what im getting at is anything u do can be part of your spiritual journey, you just need to figure out the how lol Or if soirituality is no longer for you then take what you have learnt onwards in your life journey but im guessing not otherwise you wouldnt be asking this q.

I hope my babbling makes sense and you can take some meaning from it

all the best
    Bunks
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Many people consider themselves Buddhist and 'practice' Buddhism without ever sitting on the cushion or lighting incense in temples.

Weave the 8-fold path into every aspect of your life and dealings with your family, children and co-workers; observe the precepts to the best of your ability while interacting with others. One doesn't need solitude or seclusion (or even formal sitting meditation) to be a Buddhist.

IMO, those who shut themselves away in caves, temples or self-seclusion of any sort just to practice Buddhism 24/7, do themselves and the world around them a disservice.

Edited to add: have you thought about teaching your daughter to meditate with daddy? Doesn't need to be anything stringent or structured beyond a few minutes of "quiet time" with daddy every evening or morning.
    Nirvanakrut
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Your life and your family's life can only improve by bringing Buddhism into the fray, whether officially or without ever naming it as anything. You do not have to have hours of silent time to yourself to practice. You obviously need to adjust from what you had gotten used to. And sometimes, life will take hold and you might get sucked away in the current. But you can always go back, it never disappears and is there whenever you return. Buddhism, if you ask me, shines the best when you expand it to include the world around you. Not only do you experience it, but you get the joy of watching those you love most experience it as well. Like I said earlier, you don't even have to try to force your family into Buddhism. Simply practice it, and it will shine all around you.
    MaryAnne
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I am going through something similar to you, @misecmisc1. Many of my friends are not spiritual in any way, and I feel like I'm often caught having to choose between my personal life (which includes a growing spiritual practice) and my social life (which is mainly friends getting drunk or talking about nonsense while I politely keep their company).

I consulted with the campus Buddhist chaplain about my problem, and he told me that there's not necessarily anything to "do" about the situation. He said that if you have chosen to live a certain way (in this case, with Buddhism as a guiding practice), then that intent and practice will have an effect on your everyday interaction with people. Basically, we need to have faith in what our practice has cultivated and have faith in our inner nature.

Like @genkaku said, seeing the separation between "spiritual practice" and life is part of the problem. If we can develop ourselves in a way that integrates Buddhist practice and daily life, then there will be less of this self-imposed conflict.

MaryAnne
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    OP, your mind is conveniently forgetting the struggles you had with your sexual energy while you were away from your family. So now you're back with your wife, no more problems in that regard. But now there is a new challenge: how to fit Dharma practice in with the full householder's life. You've only traded one challenge for another. No need to panic. Take the good with the bad--the advantages of being home along with the disadvantages, and gradually work out a way to fit everything in. You may not have as much time for Dharma as you were accustomed to while abroad, but you'll manage to work something out.

It sounds like you used the Dharma while abroad to avoid boredom, then became accustomed (attached?) to that level of practice. Now that your schedule has changed, you're experiencing dukkha, you're noticing your attachment to your Dharma-intensive previous schedule. Change happens. Let go of your longing for your previous schedule, appreciate the love of your family, work with it, do what you can re: Dharma practice, and be patient with yourself and your loved ones. That, itself, is practice. :)
    MaryAnne
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I can relate to the OP on this one - sometimes I wish I had more time to meditate, listen to teachings etc., go on retreats but the reality is that I have a wife and young kids and they come first. That's it.

I actually think my kids are my greatest teachers!

My advice @misecmisc1 - read and re-read the posts above. There is some wonderful advice there from a lot of wise people......

Best of luck!
    MaryAnne
  • Study it. assign it a color, a texture, and odor. Know it's history and cause, then let it go.
    MaryAnne
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    This is the only moment that one can ever be open and present for.
    Transcendance or ignorance is the meeting of this truth or the turning away from it.
    In the end all of our practises depend on nothing more, nothing less.
    MaryAnne
  • Please suggest
    What do you suggest? How will you inspire us? :wave:
    Nirvana
  • Such is the life of a layperson. Chop wood, carry water. Gassho
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Hi All,

thanks for all your insightful and awesome replies.

the summary of the above replies seems to be to live the spiritual life inside the current worldly life. but the question comes is it really possible - means - let me take a situation, which happened yesterday - my parents and my wife do not scold my daughter, even though they are upset over her. since my daughter is going to be 2 years old in coming months, so obviously she does not have the understanding to know what to do and what not to do. usually what happens is i see my parents getting suffered over my daughter's activities (though it happens only sometimes), when my daughter starts doing those activities which she is told not to do. sometimes she gets hold of my mobile and after playing with it for sometime, throws it on the ground. sometimes she asks for my father's mobile and then my father denies her and she keeps on repeating the demand for my father's mobile and then my father gives his mobile to her, which she played with for sometime and then threw on the ground. i saw my father became upset over it, but he did not said anything to her. then he took his mobile from ground and my daughter again asked for his mobile, may be to play with it. Then i saw my father's face getting sad fearing that she may throw her mobile on ground again. then seeing all these things, i became angry and i scolded my daughter in a loud noise - i just called her name in a loud noise, hearing which she got feared and then she did not asked for my father's mobile.

so my question is - if i see my daughter getting hold of an article(which say is of my parents) and throwing that article will hurt my parents and not getting that article will cause my daughter to suffer - and i know my parents even though they suffer, they will not say anything to my daughter, so in that situation, should i just try to be in present moment and consider that there is just visual contact of a form(my daughter) with my eyes, a sound contact (my daughter's crying or speech to get that article) and see its arising and cessation and doing nothing?

or say if i see my daughter tormenting my parents by asking them to hold up her in their arms and my parents are feeling tired after coming from market, then if i scold my daughter by calling her name in loud noise is that ok - or - should i just consider that there is just a visual contact and sound contact arising due to its conditions arising and i should not do anything and let my daughter make my parents suffer? sometimes my daughter becomes so arrogant that if she asks my parents to hold her up in their arms, then even if i or my wife tries to take her in our arms, she starts crying and stops only when my parents take her up in their arms, so i sometimes scold my daughter to not do it.

But if i scold, then it means i am getting angry, which means i am not able to see conditions as mere conditions, rather i am giving meaning to it - so in a way behaving as a normal worldly person will behave, who has never get into touch with spirituality.

I hope you guys are getting the point, which i am saying here - is it really possible to live a spiritual life within a worldly life? i also think it seems possible, but somehow i am not able to practically figure it out how to do it.
  • i am not able to practically do it.
    Practically no one is.
    welcome to the real world
    morpheus :wave:
  • should i just try to be in present moment and consider that there is just visual contact of a form(my daughter) with my eyes, a sound contact (my daughter's crying or speech to get that article) and see its arising and cessation and doing nothing?
    This contemplation about form and contact could be helpful when meditating, but not in this situation IMO. It seems you would like to meditate while parenting, and I think that this will be impossible. It would be better to give full attention to the parenting. However, you can note resistance to what is ("this is how 2-year olds are") and let go of that resistance, while parenting.

• is it really possible to live a spiritual life within a worldly life?

In theory I guess, yes - depending on how you define 'spirituality' and 'worldly'.

If your definition of each is mutually exclusive of the other - so for example, worldy for you means spending all time with your family and spirituality means spending all time in a cave - then you may have difficulty reconciling the two.

You need to find the balance that works for you and your family.

There is only one life you are living - the delineation you describe is created by your view.
    Invincible_summer
  • I think that once an individual is on the path or a path they are on it forever. Wisdom and compassion can still be practiced and still be developed. Life is the practice. The path is the more specific set of teachings and practices that we apply in all things at all times in thought, word and action......May The Buddha and one's higher power/God bless you for enlightening me through your doubt, your question and your ongoing sincere and honorable search......
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    @karasti, you essentially beat me to my two cents comment.

Ah, but the terrible twos: The Human Tyrant, the Infant Dictator, almost uncontrollable at times! But that strong ego of theirs can be eventually bridled when you stand up giant-tall and strong and firmly say, "NO!" Otherwise, they'll find your weak spot and you'll lose control.

Whimsically, think of your daughter as the one to whom aliens landing on our planet are taken after requesting: "Take me to your leader."
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • Living in the world requires the ability to find a balance within all things; this is truly the middle path. I know it may sound difficult, a balance can be achieved. It may take time to figure out this balance but it can be done with a little patience. As my teacher has told me many a time, if you can find time to brush your teeth you can find time to meditate. Your spiritual practice may not look the same as when you were alone, but then again isn't the practice always within us...
    MaryAnneInvincible_summer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    OP, it sounds like neither you, nor any other adults in your family, know how to handle a 2-year-old. The first thing that comes to mind is to buy her a toy phone. Little kids have always loved to play with phones, and the toy industry has accommodated them almost since telephones were invented.

If she demands something, and when denied it, starts fussing, quiet her. If she becomes unruly, give her a brief "time out" in a bedroom. Or speak to her in a stern voice, as you did. You said this works. This is not anger, this is skillful means. If you are mindful, then you can utilize the appearance of anger to achieve a goal, without actually giving into the anger. Lamas, abbots and teachers do this all the time. The stern voice and feigned (or real) anger are just a tool, nothing more. When the tool has achieved its purpose, you calmly set it down and go about your business, as before.

If the family needs help handling a 2-year-old, they could consider taking a parenting class. Learning what stage the child's cognitive development is at, and what that means re: discipline, temperament, and so forth, and can be very interesting and useful to know.
    MaryAnneBrianBunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I think sometimes people mistaken compassion and loving kindness in buddhism as meaning that you are always nice to people.

This is not so.

Your family is not doing the child any favours by letting her do what she wants.

I have a 2 year old daughter at home and have exactly the same issues. In the situation you describe I simply tell her the phone is not a toy so she can't play with it and take it off her. I am bigger then her so it's easy to do.

There is no need to shout IMO. If she cries about it then that's ok. Give her something else to play with (as some people suggested above).

It sounds to me like the main issue you have is the fact that your wife and parents don't know how to say no to her? Perhaps you need to set the example. If you can refrain from shouting at her I would suggest that as I don't think that is wise (just my opinion).

Good luck! It's not easy.
    MaryAnne
    One last thing I have learned over 16 years of having kids is, the more you actually say no and raise/stern your voice, the less they listen over time. If you want a kid who snaps to when you say "NO!" in a stern voice, such as when they are in danger, then be cautious about how much you use it for trivial matters. If you need to deny them something, you can do it without saying no a million times a day to the point that it means nothing to them. Instead of "no, you can't have ice cream. No, you can't jump on the couch." etc, it seems to work better to say "I really like ice cream too, but now isn't the best time. How about if we save it for dessert?" or "If we jump on the furniture it gets ruined, but let's go to the park and jump this afternoon!" or whatever. It really does make a difference. Because if all a kid hears is "no. no. no. NO!" then when you really need them to stop in their tracks because you yell "NO!" then won't do it. Save harshness and harsh words for when it is truly warranted, and not out of laziness on the parents part. Plus it enhances communication a lot when you talk to a kid, even before they understand all the words, rather than simply enacting your power over them.

Lastly, when you are set to say no for any reason ask yourself why. Because early on I said no a lot because I was lazy. I didn't want to get up an go to the park. I didn't want to help them with something. Make sure your reasons for denying them are backed up by something, otherwise as they get older, they just stop asking because they are too used to being denied. For some things, this is ideal, as in the case with a kid asking to play with a phone. In some cases, not as good.
    BunksNirvanamaarten
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

So you can see how much time of mine has got reduced from spiritual path and increased on worldly path.

SHAMEFUL! :D :eek2: [wry smile]

St Teresa of Ávila used to say that three things were prerequisite for a long spiritual life, namely a healthy appetitite, the ability to sleep well, and a good sense of humor. I think what she meant by a sense of humor is the ability to laugh at yourself, that is, not to take oneself too seriously. (But everybody is different; St Francis of Assisi didn't really exemplify a good sense of humor in the usual sense, though I doubt he ever took himself seriously.)

I'd add another, Sri Sarada Devi's admonition of how vital it is not to find fault with anybody else but rather to find your own.

Doesn't sound like you have to be a rocket scientist to me. There are times when some water gets in the boat, to use Sri Ramakrishna's analogy, but throwing worldiness overboard where it belongs is just part of the journey. If it's not a journey, why take the spiritual life on in the first place?
  • I can't help wonder if anyone is spending quality time with this child. Does anyone in the family take time out of their day to spend 1/2 an hour playing with the child, now and then? Very small children aren't able to entertain themselves, and need adult attention. If the child is getting these (and other) needs met so that a trusting bond is established, she's much more likely to obey when necessary, and less likely to be disruptive. Also, at 2 she needs to be learning what the boundaries are with adults, what is acceptable behavior and what isn't, and who is in charge (not her, ideally).

This isn't to say that if you do the right thing, all will be smooth sailing. The child not getting her way is an important learning process for her. If she cries when limits are set, this shouldn't be viewed as "suffering". You could view it as putting healthy boundaries around ego.

Buy the child a toy phone, and spend time playing "telephone" with her, pretending to call her from your own phone. Notice her delight at this simple game. You can invent all kinds of variations on this theme, to keep her amused. This type of loving, playful interaction is an investment in the child's character and in your future relationship with her. It's sort of like a bank; the more deposits you put in now, the greater the reward you and she will reap as she matures.
    Bunkskarasti
    edited February 2013
    seems like it would have been better for me if nearly 1.5 years ago, instead of accidentally stricking Bhagwad Geeta and then Buddha's teachings, it would have been better if i would have accidentally stricken a book on parenting children.
    karasti
    Thanks for all your wonderful advise. i will try to work on them.
    It would be nice if they came with a book, wouldn't it?? It's a life long journey, parenting :) If you have more than one, it's double the journey. Just when you start to figure it out with the first, the second comes along and turns everything you thought you knew upside down. You just have to be flexible and try different things. One of the main things that helps me is to keep in mind that if telling them "no" for the 1000th time hasn't worked, telling them 1001 times isn't likely to work either and it's time to try something else. What works for one kid, doesn't always work for the other. And don't be afraid to let kids teach you something, too. They often know what they need if you can read them and decipher it. You'll make mistakes no matter how much you read on parenting. Your kids will still survive. Just try to learn from mistakes instead of repeating them. And Buddhism can be a great thing to use to raise children :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013

seems like it would have been better for me if nearly 1.5 years ago, instead of accidentally stricking Bhagwad Geeta and then Buddha's teachings, it would have been better if i would have accidentally stricken a book on parenting children.

Not at all. It doesn't have to be "either-or". It can be "both-and". The Dharma and child psychology/parenting can both be your guide and your inspiration. Perhaps along with your own memories of when you were a little one. :)