Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New to Buddhism.

I'm new to Buddhism. I'm in the process of reading the eightfold path, and then the precepts. In the process of doing so, I'm finding that I'm at a loss of how to practice Buddhism. I also don't know what "type" of Buddhist I am. I would like to find the answers to these questions.
BrianTheEccentric

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    welcome on your path :) Firstly I'd like to say do not worry about what "type" of buddhism you are just yet. Eventually you may find one tradition fits you over any other(like myself being Theravada, many here being Tibetan, others being Zen, Ch'an etc) or you may find none do. In the end every tradition has the core buddhist teachings in there pretty much and for the most part all traditions get along quite well. We view it as different rafts across the stream of samsara(endless rebirth). We are all going the same direction.. hopefully :).

Secondly I suggest learning about the very basics of Buddhism. I highly suggest www.buddhanet.net which is a great website for learning the basics and has whole courses that I use in teaching a basics of buddhism class. Here is the link to the education section. http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/index.htm

The main practice of the buddhist path is that of meditation, and there are two main types taught by the Buddha, Samatha(serenity) which developes concentration and Vipassana(insight) which develops wisdom.

In addition to meditation there is also the aspect of attempting to live a moral life, or put in Buddhist terms a life where you perform actions of mind, speech, and body which are skillful, ie beneficial to yourself and others, as opposed to unskillful.

The Buddha looked for a way out of the endless cycle of being born, sickness, old age, loss, and death. This is what drove him on this search some 2600 years ago. He found a way out and this is how we practice today. This is how we work towards a true lasting happiness.

I highly suggest if you can to find a local monastery/temple/meditation group near you. If you can find a teacher who can begin your meditation practice and training in person that this is great. If not then you can rely on many books, websites, and youtube videos for help.

you can look on the world buddhist directory(also on buddhanet.net - http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/) to find local places near you.

There is a lot to know and it can feel overwhelming, but take it one day at a time and you will already be starting a good mindfulness practice ;).
    BunksBrianInvincible_summerEnriqueSpain
  • Along with @Jayantha, I second his idea of visiting a few centers. Since you're not in a tradition, yet, you have the ability to sort of shop around and see what's out there.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    You don't have to be any type of Buddhist. Understanding the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, and practicing compassion toward others and mindfulness toward yourself and the motives behind your actions will give you plenty of insight and opportunity for reflection and self-improvement. It's a good beginning. You can observe one or more precepts, as you see fit. Consider how attachment or clinging to material things, ego, status, etc. play a role in your life.

These basic fundamentals are enough to keep people busy for years. If at some point you decide you'd like to have guidance or support from others on the path, then you can consider checking out some centers in your area, and attending teachings. There's no rush or requirement, though, to declare yourself a follower of this or that school.
    MaryAnneI_AM_THAT
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Hello @rosemarie. Welcome to NewBuddhist :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think Dakini has given the OP very good advice.

I started out as a Theravadan (and continue that) because I learned about Buddhism while visiting and living in Thailand. But perhaps it would have been better starting with an empty slate...although I have an idea I would have ended up in pretty much the same place.

Concentrate on the basics, while forgetting about one particular school or another. I have an idea that eventually you'll easily find where you fit.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I'm at a loss of how to practice Buddhism
    :wave:

Buddhism . . . (This may come as a shock) . . . Is not the adoption of practices but their cessation . . .
    However whilst you realise that you want something to do.

this is from a meditation course I started a few weeks ago
    Whatever happens in meditation—whether good or bad, ordinary or peculiar—simply experience it. Attempting to ascertain meaning is counter-productive. Do not judge thoughts, or the quality of meditation. Adopt this attitude: During meditation there are no profound or good thoughts. There are no unworthy or bad thoughts. There are no blissful or good meditation sessions. There are no boring, grumpy, miserable or bad meditation sessions. Allow good experiences to pass as they will. Allow bad experiences to persist as they will. Observe clearly the neutral experiences which you might prefer to ignore as uninteresting.

EnriqueSpainBunksI_AM_THATcarolann
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @rosemarie: study and understand Buddha's teachings on - the 4 noble truths, the 8-fold path, the 3 characteristics of anicca, dukkha and anatta in all conditioned things - try to do meditation by taking breath as your meditation object by being mindful of watching the breath going in and going out. do this properly and make yourself a refuge for yourself, by removing the defilements from your conditioned mind and then finally experience the unconditioned.
  • @rosemarie welcome to New Buddhist! i'm from the Tibetan tradition, and the Gelugpa school...my teacher is HE Tsem Rinpoche and he has a popular blog http://blog.tsemtulku.com. We focus on meditation and mind-transformation practices, called Lojong, which trains us to transform our minds to look at things differently in order to achieve inner peace. Do feel free to ask any questions you like...
    TheEccentric
  • rosemarie said:

In the process of doing so, I'm finding that I'm at a loss of how to practice Buddhism.

What is a Buddhist practise?

I'm pretty sure it boils down to the following:

1. Living an ethical life (this will mean different things to different people).
    2. Meditation
    3. Practising mindfulness (being present of the current moment).
    4. Practising compassion (being kind to others/service/non harming)

You'll notice there's nothing to 'believe', because Buddhism isn't a belief system.
    rosemarie said:

I also don't know what "type" of Buddhist I am. I would like to find the answers to these questions.

Different Buddhist sects seem to cater for different psychological personality types. My advice would be to go and visit some dharma centres if you can, and see what resonates with you.

I started off with Tibetan Buddhism but after a few years was turned off by it; I didn't like the 'magical' aspects. My 'sect' is really A.A. (and it's funny that in A.A. we have a broad range of different views, just the same as all the different Buddhist sects) now. It's where I feel most useful.

But my practise is still very 'Buddhist'.

I hope some of that helps.
  • Thank you everyone for yor comments. I feel they helped a lot. I wish everyone the best experiences in their journeys.
    Bunks
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    If you're looking for info on how toce Buddhism I suggest you read the New Meditation Handbook by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, I have found it very helpful and has helped me a lot

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Meditation-Handbook-Meditations-Meaningful/dp/0948006900
  • welcome. it is considered very good karma
    to be able to know n interested in buddhism.

for a beginner, try keeping the 5 precepts.
    the intention is to avoid unskillful actions.
    rosemarie said:

I'm new to Buddhism. I'm in the process of reading the eightfold path, and then the precepts. In the process of doing so, I'm finding that I'm at a loss of how to practice Buddhism. I also don't know what "type" of Buddhist I am. I would like to find the answers to these questions.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Hi @rosemarie! Welcome!

If it's any consolation, I've been doing this Buddhism thang for.... oooh, I'd say just about nigh-on 2 decades now.... I STILL don't know what type of Buddhist I'm s'posed to be.... Just pick up, evaluate, ponder on, listen, chat, engage, discuss and generally pitch in.
    It actually doesn't matter about the time factor. The main thing is the 'quality' not the quantity.

Enjoy, and have fun.
    we're not serious Buddhists, but it seriously Buddhism..... ;)
    VastmindInvincible_summer
  • Not too loose not too tight. Middle way.
    TheEccentric