Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to sustain a good mood?

CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Today
My days, for the most part, are good. But sometimes I just get a bad influence and I end up saying or doing something stupid out of peer pressure or aggravation. Like today, someone was just giving me some advice on how to take care of my bonsai on Instagram. My step brother, being ignorant, is like "Oh he tried yo ass" blah blah blah this and that. So, it got me a little angry, I have no idea why,but I replied with something slick, but then I came back to my senses and realized. WOW i totally just said something I didn't want to say. I just want it to the point that nothing anybody says gets to me or bothers me. All I could think was "Dude, he was just trying to help me!" and now I feel really bad. How can I keep other peoples input from negatively influencing me?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The practice of returning to your breath in meditation acts as training to strengthen ones ability to let things go. When your mind wanders off or you experience negative feelings by focusing on your breath you learn to respond differently with awareness instead of simply reacting. Over time awareness becomes more the norm and reactivity lessens. It takes time but it works.
    JeffreyInvincible_summerblu3ree
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Life seems to give us plenty of stuff to practise with, doesn't it, Cory? From my own experience, I don't think we can use our will and say "Right, I won't let other people annoy me" and expect it to work. Will power only ever seems to get me so far, then it fails me. (It was exactly the same with my drinking by the way).

One of my own faults was that I was extremely bad-tempered. Being a soldier, and senior non-commissioned officer, being bad-tempered was sometimes useful; my temper gave me the energy to get people motivated to complete a task, for example. But it also annoyed a lot of people, including my family.

When I stopped drinking I was still an 'angry man'; angrier even; so I read some books; Thich Naht Hahn has one out on Anger. It didn't help.

What I've found is that my daily practise of meditation, mindfulness, living an ethical life (as far as I can), and practising compassion has made me more peaceful and calmer; and a side effect of that is that I am less angry these days. I still often get tetchy; especially when driving; but I rarely lose my temper these days. Losing my temper has went from a daily occurance to something that's very occasional.

So my advice is not to worry about it, just keep practising, and you will find yourself being less negatively influenced by others.

Oh, it may also help if you realise that any time we're disturbed, it's OUR FAULT, not the other person's fault. We create the disturbance inside us; we're responsible, not them. That's a good thing too, because if it's our fault, it means we can do something about it. If it was the other person's fault, then we'd have no power to do anything about it.
    CoryInvincible_summer
  • Very good insight from Tosh . . .
    Equanimity is helped by regular practice. Right speech by chanting.
    A major part of Buddhist martial arts is learning restraint. If you do not learn restraint, people get damaged.
    There are meditative exercises in such arts. For example the horse stance meditation.

Your brother and father might be able to understand such meditations . . .
    CoryInvincible_summerNirvana
  • Anger comes from wanting not to be hurt. In our delusion we lash out at everything. When really we need to slow down. Give a space to the irritating social atmosphere. Think about it. We can truly hear the other person and not lash out. We can let our buttons be pushed and then just give space for that bad feeling to be there.
    Invincible_summer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    How to sustain a good mood
    Anyone know if those devises sold on late night TV really work?
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited February 2013
    how said:

Anyone know if those devises sold on late night TV really work?

They work as well as trying to cook a hotdog with a tire iron. :buck:
    Jeffrey
  • Think twice before saying nothing.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Cory said:

I just want it to the point that nothing anybody says gets to me or bothers me... How can I keep other peoples input from negatively influencing me?

IMO, a meditation practice isn't about becoming an unmovable rock within the river, but rather about learning to flow with the river itself.

I'm learning this as well. By idealizing our practice and judging ourselves on how well we are meditating or how much of a better person we're becoming (or not becoming), we can actually cause ourselves more suffering, even if we are maintaining a dedicated meditation practice.

So my advice would to be sit, sit, sit. Meditating helps us learn to observe without reacting or judging. Or at least, not as quickly. But sit without judging your own practice, without seeking results. You may even change without realizing it, "like walking through a fog" as Shunryu Suzuki put it.
    Corylobsterchela
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    @lamaramadingdong Concise, but I think it might be deeper than I am perceiving.
  • edited February 2013
    Think once about how something (or someone) makes you feel, the second time about who's in control of those feelings and then say nothing.
    Yaskanchela
  • Well maybe give social websites a brake. I know I say some hurtful and unkind things the best thing to do is apologize recognize which emotions played part note them then move on bc the fault was realized and patched up. just like a wound after u put a band aid and neosporin it heals faster!!!!
  • Apologise for what you have not done. Civility and humility is a universal spiritual practice.
    http://www.unfetteredmind.org/mindtraining/fullindex.php
  • @Cory your mood will change from time to time because you are a human being. Monks and Nuns have bad moods because they too are human beings, the important thing is how you deal with this mood.

if you are in a good mood then fine great, you are in a good mood. If you try to per long it then you are grasping at a conception and it will cause you to eventually suffer, goodbye good mood. Even if you don't do that and remain in the present moment, your mood is going to change anyway because that is what it does. The trick is to understand how your mood reacts with it's surroundings and to be ok with things as they are, that is unless you can make a positive change some how.

Have you read or heard of the book 'The Way It Is'? This may help you, it helped me quite a bit in fact.
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Cherish others, Practice Wishing love !
    chela
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    how to sustain a good mood? by knowing that you never can of course.

"trying" to " sustain a good mood" is clinging(2nd noble truth the cause of dukkha is craving/clinging), which is the cause of Dukkha(1st noble truth conditioned existence is dukkha).

when you cling to "good mood" out of ignorance(not knowing the 4 noble truths through your own experience), you cause dukkha(suffering/unsatisfactoriness). So in TRYING to be happy you make yourself unhappy, the great irony :).

all things are impermanent(ever changing, not lasting forever).. there is no such thing as "maintaining a good mood" because all conditioned things are impermanent. The only thing you can do is be kind to yourself, observe your mood changes objectively, and know that this too shall pass.

this dhamma talk by Ajahn Brahm should be helpful in this situation. " dealing with the emotion"

ThailandTomCoryInvincible_summer
  • Have you read or heard of the book 'The Way It Is'? This may help you, it helped me quite a bit in fact.

ThailandTom is probably talking about the book by Ajahn Sumedho and not Wayne Rooney's autobiography of the same name...
    Tosh
  • Cory said:

My days, for the most part, are good. But sometimes I just get a bad influence and I end up saying or doing something stupid out of peer pressure or aggravation. Like today, someone was just giving me some advice on how to take care of my bonsai on Instagram. My step brother, being ignorant, is like "Oh he tried yo ass" blah blah blah this and that. So, it got me a little angry, I have no idea why,but I replied with something slick, but then I came back to my senses and realized. WOW i totally just said something I didn't want to say. I just want it to the point that nothing anybody says gets to me or bothers me. All I could think was "Dude, he was just trying to help me!" and now I feel really bad. How can I keep other peoples input from negatively influencing me?

Maybe, you should do the influencing instead. You 'blah, blah, blah' the people around you with Metta.
  • Yaskan said:

Have you read or heard of the book 'The Way It Is'? This may help you, it helped me quite a bit in fact.

ThailandTom is probably talking about the book by Ajahn Sumedho and not Wayne Rooney's autobiography of the same name...
    That I am, a very good book indeed. All you need to know, here and now....
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    It takes time, but for you to realize that you said this or that, is a big-step into the right direction. The goal is to realize what you are about to say and prevent you from saying that. However, you are doing well, for at least realizing it afterwards. Try to practice consistent focus on your words. If you feel angry, perhaps you can find some type of hobby, sport or exercise to release this type of thinking?