Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm a hypocrite

CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
edited March 2013 in Buddhism Basics
No matter what I know, I never practice what I preach. I would love to do otherwise with what I know. How do I take my knowledge into action? My ego is ruining my life quickly. I always get angry for the wrong reasons, and then tell people not to get angry for the wrong reasons. I tell people not to argue, when I argue, I tell people to be happy, when I am not happy. I tell people not to be a hypocrite, when I am a hypocrite.
ToshBunksZerolobsterStraight_ManThailandTomzombiegirlTheEccentricBeej

Comments

• That's because a lot of things in life are easier said than done :) It's not always hard to see what one should do, and your advice isn't necessarily bad. However, being able to consistantly behave in the ways we know we should is extremely challenging -- especially since a lot of our reactions become habitual overtime, and breaking bad habits takes effort, and it isn't something that happens over night. Just try and see where you have room for improvement and take some small steps to changing those things. Then take more small steps until all those steps add up to something really substantive.

I have areas of my life I really struggle with, and I backslide a lot. It's part of being human. All you and I or anyone can do is just keep on keeping on and try not to get too discouraged.
    CoryriverflowchelaThailandTom
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The spiritual path can be seen as like training for a marathon. Your goal is to run 26.2 miles but your an overweight couch potato. So study, meditation and ethical behavior are like our training regimine. You wouldn't expect to just get up and be able to run like that just because you want to, it takes time and effort... and difficulty but over time you'll see the results.

So judging by your OP you have some factors to motivate your practice, so just get to work training and try to worry less about how you are, afterall you're doing something about it.
    riverflowCorylobsterLucy_Begood
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Welcome to samsara, @Cory --I'm a hypocrite too! And I am quite certain all of us here are in the same boat as you, so don't be so hard on yourself.

And to answer to your question, 'How do I take my knowledge into action?' -- 'Practise, practise, practise.'

The important thing is that you recognise your shortcomings so as to work on them, which is a lifetime of practice.

Sheng Yen said something to the effect that he wasn't concerned about people who were struggling in their practice-- he was worried about the ones who thought everything was moving along smoothly.
    VastmindLucy_Begood
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Sounds like your getting somewhere!

This insight was a reminder to keep focus on
    your own behavior, and that working on yourself
    is enough shit to handle.....don't concentrate too
    much on other's. Keep putting one foot in front
    of the other, and remember....
    EVERYONE has the ego problem.

It's called practice for a reason.
    No quick fixes/wins here or anywhere.
    riverflowCory
  • chelachela Veteran
    Thanks for posting this! I know that I feel this issue in my life, too. I think everyone has posted some really good advice. I have been keeping a journal, which I write in a few times a week. I am writing about various Buddhist-y things, and am feeling like I'm making a little progress because it's helping me internalize some of the things I'm learning. Plus, I think I am the kind of person who gets something out of writing down my feelings and ideas. It's kind of a meditative act because you see the feeling/idea come, you write it down, and then it goes. It's just a suggestion to try, if you aren't already journaling.

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Treat yourself like you would treat your closest friend. Make friends with your errors and be forgiving.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    Cory said:

No matter what I know, I never practice what I preach.
    I would love to do otherwise with what I know.

My ego is ruining my life quickly.

I always get angry for the wrong reasons, and then tell people not to get angry for the wrong reasons. I tell people not to argue, when I argue, I tell people to be happy, when I am not happy. I tell people not to be a hypocrite, when I am a hypocrite.

How do I take my knowledge into action?

Never is probably putting it too strongly!
    Examine what it is that you do know - if you know it then it is part of you.

Give yourself a break - you sound like a good guy and you have a lifetime ahead - smile, take it easy and nothing need be ruined.

There is no doubt merit in sharing knowledge - when this turns into preaching there's probably not much sharing going on... perhaps this can act as a marker for you showing you that even when you know, it takes something more to put it into action - so maybe you can see why we all share this common condition.

How to put knowledge into action is a very good question - the answer is patronisingly simple and also a well known commercial slogan... just do it - it sounds crazy I know but at the end when all the sparkle and jazzmatazz is gone, if you don't do it no-one will - there are lots of intermediate steps and tricks of the mind and whatnot - in my life and from my experience, I've found that the best and surest way is to just do it- that stuff that you think, get up and use your body to put it into action - it's the miracle of creation.
    chelaCoryDandelion
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ True.
    You can show 'em better than you can tell 'em. :)
    Cory
  • Dance with hypocrisy. Dance with the Buddha. Above all don't dance.
    . . . It's an emptiness thing
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @how I feel this is the best place to talk about my personal life because I trust you and everyone else on here, and I always receive helpful information that makes me feel better.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Ya know Cory, I'm just not feeling that becoming a NB hypocrite club member is important enough for you.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, Hypocrisy club???? IN!!!
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    @how It is something that I will have to get used to. Shouldn't be too hard to stop, and I bet it'll be worth it! I accept the agreement.
  • Cory said:

No matter what I know, I never practice what I preach. I would love to do otherwise with what I know. How do I take my knowledge into action? My ego is ruining my life quickly. I always get angry for the wrong reasons, and then tell people not to get angry for the wrong reasons. I tell people not to argue, when I argue, I tell people to be happy, when I am not happy. I tell people not to be a hypocrite, when I am a hypocrite.

You sound more aware then most :).
    riverflow
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @cory- maybe it is a good idea to say nothing, then. just listen for a little while. i can suggest to you that this very practice of simply restraining yourself, unless otherwise asked, will help you to observe your own thoughts/feelings. when you feel the impulse to preach, instead you can just practice............. some stillness. :)
    Dandelionlobster
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Same here! I can easily help others who are struggling mentally, but when it comes to my own mental stability, I am at loss. :( However, I am slowly starting to turn upon myself and focus on me. It is definitely time! Thanks for the reminder! Just remember slowly but maturely!:)
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

Same here! I can easily help others who are struggling mentally, but when it comes to my own mental stability, I am at loss.

Perhaps when we identify a 'demand' for help in someone else, we are only in tune to a facet of the whole issue that the person is facing - this facet may be a reflection of sorts of a particular facet within ourselves - maybe one that we feel we have reconciled or one that is in our focus for whatever reason - in this light, in a way we are seeking to convince ourselves and from the other person's point of view we run the risk of concentrating only on a facet and not the whole issue.
    With ourselves alone however it is the whole issue all the time which can be overwhelming at times.
  • I never practice what I preach
    One of the greatest lessons for me, was listening, allowing others their well intentioned 'hypocrisy' as dharma. All people are Buddhas, mostly sleeping.

Hypocrisy Anonymous serenity puja (to be used before preaching)

"May All Buddhas
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
    The courage to change the things I can
    And wisdom to know the difference"
    :wave:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I don't mean this to sound dismissive, but it sounds like you have a case of being a teenager. You're still growing and learning and becoming who you will be. These are natural and normal thoughts.
    lobster
  • Cory said:

It is good to know yourself. Bravo!
    riverflow