Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to develop concentration in my meditation? please suggest.

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited March 2013 in Meditation
hi all,

i am finding myself a hopeless case as far as meditation is concerned. i understand it is letting go - but still cant let go. i am not trying to achieve anything - but sadly it seems to me that my meditation is nothing more than a way of passing time for me by just sitting and trying not to do anything, but because of thoughts, this is also not happening.

just some background information - i sit in full lotus position with my eyes closed, trying to be aware of whatever is going on in present moment.

initially i tried to have breath as my meditation object - but the problem which came was - my natural breathing is very irregular means long inhalation followed by very short(sometimes not noticeable) exhalation, then a long gap, then again long noticeable inhalation followed immediately by very short exhalation and then again a long gap. So during the gap period what to observe - was the question - so i tried to be aware of whatever is arising in the present moment.

Now the question is how to develop concentration in my meditation?

as far as posture is concerned, i find keeping my back with the natural curve with the chest opening out - this posture usually moves after 5 min or so and again i have to realign my back posture to make it straight for breathing through the diaphragm - i think my head moves (but i am not sleeping) - but this makes my body keeps moving after say every 3min or every 5min - so how concentration can develop here?

as far as trying to be aware of the present moment is concerned, should i try to completely relax my mind and then try to see how much aware i am of whatever is going on in present moment (like external sounds, my ears ringing due to tinnitus, my current bodily sensations) - or should i try to keep attention at the front of my face to feel the sensation of the breath coming in - or should i just sit and pass the time? will just sitting and trying to do nothing(though because of thoughts, this is not happening) is of any use or will it help?

please suggest. thanks in advance.

Comments

i am finding myself a hopeless case as far as meditation is concerned
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps not.
    Try this

or a more Shingon version print out, use on screen or make the above element image and move up through the elements . . .
  • @misecmisc1 I feel exactly as you do when it comes to meditation, I just keep hitting walls and it seems pointless most of the time, I have never gone more than 30 minutes in one sitting in the past 5 years :-/ However, I have been trying on a daily basis as of this week, started exercising again and changed up my diet so it is more balanced, so I hope this helps. I think meditation is easier done when one has routine and a healthy life style.

Concentration, I have read, is only a means, a tool to be used and by itself is nothing profound. You can find such concentration in day to day activities, when you are washing the dishes for example, your mind may be totally focused on the task at hand, or if you are firing a gun, your will be fixed on completing the task. In the book I am reading at the moment, the author even goes as far to say that the concentration generated on the cushion can be too much at times and concentration found daily is useful enough, if recognized and used correctly.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

...it seems to me that my meditation is nothing more than a way of passing time for me...

will just sitting and trying to do nothing (though because of thoughts, this is not happening) is of any use or will it help?

If meditation doesn't have a use or help, find something that does.
    Time always passes it seems and one cannot do nothing.
    Perhaps when meditating, trying to meditate is closer to meditating than trying to do nothing but you're meditating so what are you trying for?
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Zero said:

...it seems to me that my meditation is nothing more than a way of passing time for me...

will just sitting and trying to do nothing (though because of thoughts, this is not happening) is of any use or will it help?

If meditation doesn't have a use or help, find something that does.
    Time always passes it seems and one cannot do nothing.
    Perhaps when meditating, trying to meditate is closer to meditating than trying to do nothing but you're meditating so what are you trying for?
    @Zero: i am trying for concentration - how to get it - the problems (which i have written above ) are problem related to physical sitting posture and where to focus mental attention in present moment. so please tell how to develop concentration in my meditation. thanks in advance.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Patience. We all have the same problem. Problems grow tiresome with practice. So practice and if you find yourself failing, consider the one who is so sure that this is a failure.
    misecmisc1Invincible_summerblu3ree
  • When I am sitting and focusing on the breath, I find myself as most of us my mind will wander for a while but I make a mental note and bring it back to the breath. But when I am in a focused state, albeit a few moments I then don't really know what to do from there. I guess that is where I am then thinking and cutting short any concentration? I thing that I did mention and am aware of is that concentration in meditation is only a tool and not really the point in essence, correct?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    stop trying so hard. Even though you say you are not, it sounds very much to me like you are attached to an expectation. That you expect something, whatever it is, to happen or not happen when you sit. Stop expecting, that is what is leading to your disappointment.
    ThailandTomlobsterInvincible_summerStraight_Man
  • Maybe I am expecting too much out of meditation. How does one approach a sitting mentally speaking then? Sorry @misecmisc1 if I am robbing your thread but I think we are pretty much on the same page..
    I probably can't explain it well, as I don't know how it changed. I tried to meditate many times in my past, through college and at the advice and direction of a yoga teacher. But it never went well. I would get very frustrated because I thought I wasn't supposed to be thinking and yet the more I tried not to, the more thoughts came, and no matter how long I forced myself to sit, I just got more aggravated, so I quit.

Then I went to a retreat and the teacher led us on several different types of short (5 minutes) meditation sessions. Some of them absolutely didn't work for me, some did. I just experimented with them and sat for very short periods. Over time, my thoughts decreased and so did my discomfort. I stopped having a goal, thinking I'd feel better after I meditated or feel different some how. I just stopped caring what I felt like after and just started doing it. Once I could do 5 minutes without wondering how much time was left or without wondering how I'd feel after or being frustrated, I increased it to 7 minutes then 12 minutes then 18 minutes, then 25 and so on. I'm used to it enough now that I don't set a timer or anything and sometimes, I sit for only 12 minutes. Sometimes, I sit for 40 or more, and during the time I have absolutely no idea how long it's been. I just do what I feel the need to do that day.

Sometimes I still struggle. When I injured my knee I was so wrapped up in it that I couldn't meditate hardly at all. I was so attached to/used to sitting in a certain spot every single time I meditated, that not being able to do that made it very hard for me to meditate at all, and again I got frustrated. So I went back to doing it for 5 minutes in the new place, new position and went from there all over again. Sometimes, I can just sit and it's "perfect" but sometimes I sit and I have to go back to counting my breath, repeating refuge vows or whatever to occupy my mind. Whatever it is that happens, it's ok. Because I don't expect a certain outcome, I don't get frustrated when I have sessions where my thoughts are constant. When that happens, I just don't follow them and let them be like a news ticker on tv, they just go through my mind in a scroll and I don't pay them any mind. Regardless of whether it's a perfect session or a difficult one, I notice the benefits in my daily life so I keep doing it.

I stopped thinking meditation was some magical thing that was going to GET me something. When I stopped expecting the benefits, that is when they started showing up.
    ThailandTomlobsterStraight_ManGlow
  • Rigdzin Shikpo calls this 'hot boredom' which eventually yields to 'cool boredom'. Keep practice and the penny will drop and you will be just like a cool mountain stream that is appreciated but yet doesn't have to do anything.
    blu3reeCitta
  • lobster said:

i am finding myself a hopeless case as far as meditation is concerned
    Perhaps.
    Perhaps not.
    Try this

or a more Shingon version print out, use on screen or make the above element image and move up through the elements . . .

This guy was in my sangha!
  • This guy was in my sangha!
    That's OK, it is still a good practice. ;)

It is one of the earliest Buddhist practices I found useful.
    It is very much a concentration enhancing practice, that the OP asked for . . .
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Have you tried reading any of the meditation manuals such as the anapanasati sutta or contemplation sutra? In my personal practice, I have found these and commentaries on their practices to be extremely helpful. Mahasai Sayadaw wrote a few books on anapanasati, and I believe that their all hosted on buddhanet.
  • Im still dealing with this, but i found when i stopped expecting "something" to happen, or for my mind to empty, etc, i finally achieved a few minutes in the present moment (atleast what i percieve to be).
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
  • hi all,
    initially i tried to have breath as my meditation object - but the problem which came was - my natural breathing is very irregular means long inhalation followed by very short(sometimes not noticeable) exhalation, then a long gap, then again long noticeable inhalation followed immediately by very short exhalation and then again a long gap. So during the gap period what to observe - was the question - so i tried to be aware of whatever is arising in the present moment.

Observe that gap. Breathing in -gap -breathing out- gap -etc etc. When nothing is arising, note that too.

Now the question is how to develop concentration in my meditation?
    as far as posture is concerned, i find keeping my back with the natural curve with the chest opening out - this posture usually moves after 5 min or so and again i have to realign my back posture to make it straight for breathing through the diaphragm - i think my head moves (but i am not sleeping) - but this makes my body keeps moving after say every 3min or every 5min - so how concentration can develop here?

Keep watching or feeling the breath or its absence. Whatever you do, keep the breathing sensation to the fore. That is mindfulness with breathing

as far as trying to be aware of the present moment is concerned, should i try to completely relax my mind and then try to see how much aware i am of whatever is going on in present moment (like external sounds, my ears ringing due to tinnitus, my current bodily sensations) - or should i try to keep attention at the front of my face to feel the sensation of the breath coming in - or should i just sit and pass the time? will just sitting and trying to do nothing(though because of thoughts, this is not happening) is of any use or will it help?

You are in the present moment just by bare awareness of body sensations eg. breath, sounds, sights, taste, smells. Your thoughts drag you to the past and future.

please suggest. thanks in advance.

misecmisc1
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Repitition. Repitition. Repitition. Seems ive said that 3 times oops better start over! Repitition. Repitition.
    lobster
    edited March 2013

I thing that I did mention and am aware of is that concentration in meditation is only a tool and not really the point in essence, correct?

@ThailandTom: though concentration is a tool in meditation, but it is very important. as per my theoretical understanding, after concentration develops, then the breath starts to become very subtle and finally fades away, which leads to nimitta and then jhanas - only after jhanas are reached, insights come which leads to wisdom in us. though the way my meditation is currently proceeding without any concentration, i think may be in the coming 1000 lifetimes or more, it shall still not be possible for me to gain insights, but still just sitting. after all, body and mind both are not-self, so we cannot control it anyway.
    karasti said:

stop trying so hard. Even though you say you are not, it sounds very much to me like you are attached to an expectation. That you expect something, whatever it is, to happen or not happen when you sit. Stop expecting, that is what is leading to your disappointment.

@karasti: well, if i use the word desire for expectation, then i can say that yes, there is desire in me - but without desire, i shall not be able to do anything. there is craving and clinging in me, so i am suffering - second noble truth. damn, i am complete idiot, theoretically somewhat understands things, but practical reality just slaps me on my face as all the concepts go away, when it comes to doing things.

@all: it is paradox - without desire, a person will not sit for meditation and - with desire usually craving and clinging starts, which makes sure the goal of meditation will not be going to be attained till craving and clinging is there. craving for becoming and non-becoming both leading to clinging which leads to suffering.

Sorry @misecmisc1 if I am robbing your thread but I think we are pretty much on the same page..

@ThailandTom: no problem dude. keep posting your meditation questions here.
  • Concentrate and relax (coagulate and dissolve as they say in alchemy)
    in other words, focus . . . and let go
    The element meditation is good because it teaches you to focus
    on and with body, emotions, intent, expression and consciousness amongst the other possible elements.

The simpler but effective breath focus
    mantra focus
    body focus
    Buddha focus etc
    is also linked with the idea of
    tighten and unfold . . . like a lotus breathing . . .

meditation is not hard if you soften
    if too easy, harden (focus)
    if too much change, remain
    if too much remaining
    change

OM MANI PEME HUM
    as the lotus said to the stalk
    Takuan said:

Have you tried reading any of the meditation manuals such as the anapanasati sutta or contemplation sutra? In my personal practice, I have found these and commentaries on their practices to be extremely helpful. Mahasai Sayadaw wrote a few books on anapanasati, and I believe that their all hosted on buddhanet.

@Takuan: i have read anapanasati sutta - mindfulness of breathing and satipathana sutta - 4 frames of mindfulness. i tried doing mindfulness of breathing but the problem came with my natural breathing, which i described above. moreover, i am finding it hard to be mindful in normal daily acitivites.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @blu3ree - The video you linked to is from a local Buddhist temple! Awesome! I didn't know they made videos.

@misecmisc1 - If your natural breathing is "ragged" so to speak, then notice that. There's not necessarily any "proper" way to breath (AFAIK). I even find it difficult to keep deep breathing + concentration because the exertion required to breath deeply takes me away from being aware of other things.

So if one in-breath is deep, but the next is shallow, that's okay. Just concentrate on what is happening. It sounds like you're placing your concentration behind an "expectation filter." You want to concentrate, but aren't fully letting go of expectations of what meditation is "supposed to be."

Regarding mindfulness in daily activities, I think the key is to be completely focused on what you are doing and how you are doing it in the space you are in. It's not necessarily "Breathing in -- typing the letter A -- breathing out -- lifting finger from keyboard."

Please don't take this as a harsh critique - I'm simply trying to point out where you might be getting caught up. I think many of us find the same barriers from time to time.

Glow
  • One technique to deal with breathing issues is to stop meditating. Tell yourself you are not meditating rather you are just sitting down. Do that until the breath is normal again.
    Glow
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

Takuan said:

@Takuan: i have read anapanasati sutta - mindfulness of breathing and satipathana sutta - 4 frames of mindfulness. i tried doing mindfulness of breathing but the problem came with my natural breathing, which i described above. moreover, i am finding it hard to be mindful in normal daily acitivites.
    If mindfulness of the breath is not working for you, I would highly suggest finding a mantra. Instead of focusing on the breath, focus on your chosen mantra. For some people, it's actually easier to attain concentration using the mantra method.
  • Takuan said:

Takuan said:

If mindfulness of the breath is not working for you, I would highly suggest finding a mantra. Instead of focusing on the breath, focus on your chosen mantra. For some people, it's actually easier to attain concentration using the mantra method.
    Hey thanks for the tip, I may try this as focusing on the breath has yielded very little progress in a number of years, I don't know if it is poor effort, misguidance, the fact I am on medication, trying too hard and expecting outcomes or what, but it hasn't really helped much. Can anybody suggest any mantras, short and easy ones to remember would be good as I have a poor memory :)
    I don't know if I'd say expectation and desire are the same. To me, desire means more of a long term goal or hope. I desire that in time, through meditation I might be able to meditate longer/meditate with fewer thoughts/do better with metta meditation, etc. But if you sit down day after day thinking "I'm going to sit and meditate and when I am done, I am going to feel really good and happy and relaxed and peaceful because that is what meditation is supposed to do!" then it doesn't happen and you feel like you failed, or meditation failed you some how.

I desire to be better in my practice overall. But I do not expect that simply by desiring it, that it'll suddenly happen.
    Invincible_summerStraight_Man
  • One thing that has stuck in my mind more recently from studying the dharma is that the Buddha spoke of the concentrated mind being ready to work, fit for the job, whatever that may be. Trivial to this thread I know, but I thought I would throw it in anyway :D
  • Thoughts are transparent to each other. One suddenly ending and another beginning. It's like you are called to dinner from a book and suddenly your world shifts. In meditation your bound to have all kinds of experiences but be rest assured that it is all just the play of mind. Stress is like a very interesting experience. The mind stops shifting and so sensitive and instead it gets worrisome. Let go or relax go a long way. Say 'I don't have to accomplish anything'... come thoughts I welcome you.
    ThailandTomGlow
  • I
    Jeffrey said:

Thoughts are transparent to each other. One suddenly ending and another beginning. It's like you are called to dinner from a book and suddenly your world shifts. In meditation your bound to have all kinds of experiences but be rest assured that it is all just the play of mind. Stress is like a very interesting experience. The mind stops shifting and so sensitive and instead it gets worrisome. Let go or relax go a long way. Say 'I don't have to accomplish anything'... come thoughts I welcome you.

I often start to contemplate if letting go completely is wise or not and then of course start thinking and conceptualizing blablabla. One thing I heard a monk say was that meditation can be like holding a fragile bird in your cupped hands, if you are too loose with your 'cupping' it may fly away but if you are too tight with your grip, it will be damaged. The amount of pressure you need to apply will vary depending on the nature of the bird at any given moment as it may be flustered and agitated, or it could be docile and calm.
    JeffreylobsterGlow
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Glow said:

As you breath in, relax the body. As you breathe out, relax the body. Notice the relationship between clinging and the breath. The breath is dynamic, flowing, moving. Clinging is static. The fluidity of the breath can remind you that the nature of experience itself is to flow, and that any clinging, any tension, any resistance, can be allowed to melt and then move and transform of its own accord.

I tried this; thanks. I think I'll stick with this for the time being. It seemed much simpler than my current meditation practise; a lot less 'fighting' with myself.

• a lot less 'fighting' with myself.
    Working with rather than against is the key.
    If for example 'being attentive to ones mind wandering' was the nature of meditation, which strangely enough it is, we would find it easy.

We are not trying to hold the mind but behold
    The mind.

In my case, beware
    The mind. ;)
    Straight_Man

One thing that has stuck in my mind more recently from studying the dharma is that the Buddha spoke of the concentrated mind being ready to work, fit for the job, whatever that may be. Trivial to this thread I know, but I thought I would throw it in anyway :D

@ThailandTom: my understanding of Buddha's teachings says - samadhi or stillness is very important as it leads to nimitta, which leads to jhana, which then arises insights in mind - and samadhi can be reached only after the mind is concentrated enough on meditation object, to the point that it becomes one-pointed and gradually still.
    lobsterBonsaiDoug
  • Enjoy your focus time. Meditation is so easy you could do it with cucumber over your eyes . . .
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/17765/bubble-bath-meditation
    Glow
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Tosh said:

Glow said:

As you breath in, relax the body. As you breathe out, relax the body. Notice the relationship between clinging and the breath. The breath is dynamic, flowing, moving. Clinging is static. The fluidity of the breath can remind you that the nature of experience itself is to flow, and that any clinging, any tension, any resistance, can be allowed to melt and then move and transform of its own accord.

I tried this; thanks. I think I'll stick with this for the time being. It seemed much simpler than my current meditation practise; a lot less 'fighting' with myself.

Glad to hear it worked for you! :) If you'd like to read more on this approach to meditation, I really like this chapter from A Still Forest Pool, a collection of Ajahn Chah's teachings.
    Traditionally the Eightfold Path is taught with eight steps such as Right Understanding, Right Speech, Right Concentration, and so forth. But the true Eightfold Path is within us-two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, a tongue, and a body. These eight doors are our entire Path and the mind is the one that walks on the Path. Know these doors, examine them, and all the dharmas will be revealed.

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice.

Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing.

Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this-just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle.
    Invincible_summermisecmisc1
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    If your meditation doesn't develop, it's not due to posture or due to finding no place to focus. I've meditated very well in awkward postures and without having the breath as an object.

If meditation doesn't develop it's due to the five hindrances. I can't see in your mind, but to me it sounds like you have doubt in your meditation. You are wondering if it is working, wondering if you are doing it right. You may want to let go, but it sounds like you don't trust in letting go. That's a doubt which makes it not work.

You have to know that some hindrances can be very subtle and unnoticeable unless you point your attention to them. So can you see the doubt? It might be lurking underneath. Usually if you give it some attention you can see it as it is and it'll vanish straight away. Otherwise you may want to do some practices to increase your faith.

Reflect on your faith in the Buddha and the Dhamma. Read some suttas. Do some devotional chanting. Perhaps reflect on previous meditation experiences of some peace, however minor. If you can't arouse faith by yourself, find a teacher you trust, he might recognize it and encourage you.

You can find peace in meditation just like many others have done. There is nothing special about you which makes you unable to. It's very natural for there to be doubts, let me tell you that. But eventually, with time, you'll find a way around it.

If it is not doubt, it's restlessness - these two have a close connection. But investigate doubt first.

With metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2013
    @Sabre: Thanks for your reply.

But dude, i think i am seeing your reply after a long time - where were you these days?

as far as watching for doubt is concerned, i will try to see for this doubt - but it seems to me that you are right, because somewhere in my meditation, i do start to think if my back is dropping, if i am doing watching the breath correctly - or am i just deluding myself that i am doing meditation, even though i may be getting caught in thoughts and not even watching the breath properly.

anyways, as for my meditation is concerned, i now just sit - just try to be in present moment and try to keep breath at front as @pegembara suggested. But still it feels to me like i am watching my breath - so is this not a doing in some form, rather than just be aware of breathing? it may seem like a complete idiotic question - but somehow i am not able to understand - is just bare awareness of breath same or different than watching the breath? the thing is it seems to me that somehow watching the breath seems to manipulate my breath either in inhalation, or exhalation or manipulates the gap between inhalation and exhalation.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2013
    It is at first difficult for most people to be aware of the breath without that altering the breath. So it is necessary to continue the practice, probably for a long time, until the breath and the awareness of the breath are simple and natural.
    Its a paradox that it takes practice to be natural...we have so many layers of learning.
    misecmisc1Invincible_summer
    edited April 2013
    @Citta: Thanks for your reply.

Hi All,

Regarding my other question, which may be idiotic, but still asking - is just bare awareness of breath same or different than watching the breath? as far as i can say from what i feel in my so-called meditation (which is without concentration, so not even meditation) or sitting with eyes closed, it is difficult to explain, but let me try if i can explain what i am trying to say - if i chose to go for bare attention, then basically i do not focus on breath, rather just sit and loosely try to be aware of whatever arises, but keeping breath at some higher importance than other parallel going on things like external sounds etc - if i chose to watch breath, then also it is almost same thing, but i think my attention increases here as i focus on the breath - so the difference is in bare awareness, i notice but it is slightly casual and not strict, so may be do not notice much, but in watching the breath, i notice more so it feels like i am watching it (as i said difficult to explain, but still trying to explain) - so this is why i feel in watching the breath, there is some amount of doing involved.

Even difficult to say if i am with bare awareness or watching the breath - means which mode - may be both are same, but i do not know - may be in bare awareness also, trying to be just aware is also some doing, but i do not know.

So should i go with bare awareness or try to watch the breath? Please suggest.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Let the breath come to you, don't chase after it. If the mind is ready, it will automatically pick up the breath. It'll be natural and as if you blend with the breath. If the breath gets lost easily, this is a sign you may still be forcing it too much. Just relax, be in the moment and let things be. It takes some courage to let go like this, because a lot of people are so used that they have to do something to get something. But in meditation it is not like this. So it can be a bit scary to let go, but let go anyway. Expect nothing in return, that would still be trying. Surrender to the moment, and let yourself fade away, have no safe haven for 'you' to control from or watch from. If you can let go this far, the meditation will become easy and enjoyable. However, remember there is nothing you can do to reach this.

Also, you have my permission to totally fail in meditation. Give yourself this permission also. That's also letting go, letting go of expectations and desires to get somewhere. Next session, just sit and whatever happens, it's fine. You relax.
    misecmisc1Invincible_summer
    @Sabre: Thanks for your reply. You reminded me of Ajahn Brahm's dhamma talks on meditation. Have heard these things, but damn when it comes to me doing it, all these information go out of my mind, as if i had never heard these things.
  • Meditation is NOT done to attain concentration. Awareness of the breathing process helps us see the mind as it truly is - random, chaotic, etc. That's the purpose of meditation.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    For me meditation is mainly for developing concentration. I have noticed that with improved concentration certain activities have become easier. Reading comprehension. Listening to music and attention to conversations. My ability to focus on what is being discussed in groups or in meetings has improved.
    I suppose someone who has not experienced problems in these areas might not notice an improvement caused by increased mindfulness from meditating.
    But having struggled with distraction and probably attention deficit disorder for most of my life, I can say that yes, for me, meditating is done to attain concentration.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    @misemisc1, if you have the concentration for it, rest attention on breathing for a few breaths. Then extend awareness to the whole body for a few breaths. You don't have to do a whole bodyscan for this, just enough to identify an aspect of your physical experience which is pleasurable. Then rest attention on that aspect. The pleasure will help to solidify your concentration. Try to increase the sense of pleasure and comfort. Once it's solid, try expanding the sense of pleasure and comfort to other aspects of your experience.

More details in With Each and Every Breath, part I, chapter II, "FOCUSING ON THE BREATH," p. 28. I highly recommend reading the whole thing.
  • For awhile some time ago I would notice my eyes blinking. It was very distracting and it may be like your 'over controlling' of the breath. What I did was just note my thoughts and sensations of my eyes. Just note it and don't try to change it. With time the problem went away.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    music said:

Meditation is NOT done to attain concentration. Awareness of the breathing process helps us see the mind as it truly is - random, chaotic, etc. That's the purpose of meditation.

@music - No one said that the purpose of sitting meditation was ultimately to develop concentration. There's a difference between cultivating concentration and ultimately believing that having intense concentration is the purpose.
  • music said:

Meditation is NOT done to attain concentration. Awareness of the breathing process helps us see the mind as it truly is - random, chaotic, etc. That's the purpose of meditation.

@music - No one said that the purpose of sitting meditation was ultimately to develop concentration. There's a difference between cultivating concentration and ultimately believing that having intense concentration is the purpose.
    But is it necessary even in the beginning, at least from the spiritual PoV? I understand that some people may use meditation to develop concentration or something else they may need, but that's only the worldly aspect. But insofar as the ultimate goal is concerned - nibana - is concentration necessary at all?
    edited April 2013
    music said:

music said:

But is it necessary even in the beginning, at least from the spiritual PoV? I understand that some people may use meditation to develop concentration or something else they may need, but that's only the worldly aspect. But insofar as the ultimate goal is concerned - nibana - is concentration necessary at all?
    @music: My understanding of Buddha's teachings says: as per anapanasati sutta, when mindfulness of breathing is established, concentration develops, which leads to mind getting absorbed in breath, then the breath becomes subtle and finally fades away as absorption or concentration or samadhi is attained - this leads to nimitta, which leads to jhana - only after jhana is attained, the mind becomes so still that wisdom can arise in it through insights - after the four form levels of jhana is reached, it then leads to four formless levels of jhana, which then leads to unconditioned. it is all letting go process. first the body is let go of, then the breath is let go of, then the nimitta is let go of, then the four form levels of jhana is let go of, then the four formless levels of jhana is let go of. Nothing is let go of manually, but as the mind reaches refined states, then the grosser things mind lets go of its own. But even to reach nimitta stage, samadhi (or absorption or concentration or stillness or one-pointedness) is needed.
    Invincible_summerBonsaiDoug
    This sutta (AN 4.17) posits that it doesn't matter whether or not it one begnis with concentration then insight, or insight then concentration, or both simultaneously.

back to the question posted above, seems like got missed in further posts, so reposting the question -

Hi All,

Regarding my other question, which may be idiotic, but still asking - is just bare awareness of breath same or different than watching the breath? as far as i can say from what i feel in my so-called meditation (which is without concentration, so not even meditation) or sitting with eyes closed, it is difficult to explain, but let me try if i can explain what i am trying to say - if i chose to go for bare attention, then basically i do not focus on breath, rather just sit and loosely try to be aware of whatever arises, but keeping breath at some higher importance than other parallel going on things like external sounds etc - if i chose to watch breath, then also it is almost same thing, but i think my attention increases here as i focus on the breath - so the difference is in bare awareness, i notice but it is slightly casual and not strict, so may be do not notice much, but in watching the breath, i notice more so it feels like i am watching it (as i said difficult to explain, but still trying to explain) - so this is why i feel in watching the breath, there is some amount of doing involved.

Even difficult to say if i am with bare awareness or watching the breath - means which mode - may be both are same, but i do not know - may be in bare awareness also, trying to be just aware is also some doing, but i do not know.

So should i go with bare awareness or try to watch the breath? Please suggest.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    There is no should or shouldn't in meditation when it comes to techniques. Meditation is not about a technique, not about concentration, but about what we do with what we've got. We want to turn not so nice mind states into the nice and kind ones. This is meditation. If we do this right, the results come for free. If you have desire for samadhi, that's the mind you have to work with - not just go 'concentrating' on the breath while ignoring how the mind is right now.

Learn to recognize states of mind and how to turn them into more wholesome and peaceful states. Sometimes this requires a more general awareness, sometimes some wisdom, sometimes attention of the breath, sometimes metta, sometime patience. You have to figure out when to use what tools. We can't tell you what to do with every problem, because you are unique and only you can know.

The problem you may be having with both approaches you mention, is that you separate "you" from the technique. So there is "you", the mind and the object. These three have to become one, then it'll flow. Don't over obsess on this. If it's not the time, it's not the time. Perhaps you go to fast and there are grosser defilements you need to work on first. It may be too early for focusing on the breath as well. If the time is especially right, the breath will stick to you like as if you instant glued it to yourself - it won't go loose even if you wanted. You can't 'want' this to happen, not when the mind is course. Glue only works when the surfaces are clean of defilements. And even then, if you apply it, you have to wait for it to dry. So clear the mind of most thoughts, then direct it to the breath once and just see what happens. Don't keep pressing it onto the breath.

I can tell you all this not because I was told this, but because I had the guts to be creative and to go to unfamiliar places of mind. That's the enlightenment factor of investigation. It's important to cultivate this. The Buddhist path isn't like an Ikea bookcase, where you simply follow step 1 to 8 and you've assembled it. Neither is it like a course in law or maths, you do some tests and you graduate. Instead, it takes involvement, it involves all of our life. So you have to figure out things yourself.

You could in your meditation -or afterward- ask yourself why things were working or not working. Not trying to find an answer intellectually or by the things you've read or heard, but by feeling. You'll see you'll often find the answer by yourself. But "don't know" is also a good answer.