Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who can attain nirvana?

rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
edited May 2013 in General Banter
Many Buddhist monks says that vippasanna is the only way to nibbana/nirvana. I always think that whether a married person attain nirvana? Married person may have lots of worries about life partner or worry about offsprings future in this case he/she may not have stable mind.
Other hand i believe that being monk may not be a best idea because one may lost interest by living life without having means to earn. Though some monk may work to earn money to fulfill basic needs(it is good idea).

Even i came to know through Dalai Lama's speech that next birth or existence depends on thoughts or mind we have at the time of death. what you think what is necessary to be able to attain nirvana i.e to escape from being reborn again to avoid sufferings.

Comments

• In that vippasanna means 'Insight into the nature' or reality I would say 'yes', this is needed to attain Awakening.

In that vipppasana is also a particular meditation technique I would say 'no', there are other ways of gaining insight.

Many lay people (ie not monks) and many non-buddhists have gained nirvana.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    No one has ever gained Nirvana.
    riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    How do you know..?
    I know of at least one person who has, definitely....
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    I presume that @Citta means that Nirvana is not something to be 'gained', and is not claiming omniscience.
    riverflow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Of course.

in that case, my bad.

;)
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I read it like you at first @frederica. Words are tricky things.

Going back the OP's question, the orthodox view would be that everybody can reach Nirvana. Often I read that everybody will reach it, whether they like it or not, but there seem to be different views on this. The issue is complicated by the idea that Nirvana and Samsara are one.

One view I've come across, in an amazing text called 'The Light of Truth', author's name temporarily fogotten, is that if we do not become a 'true man' in our lifetime, then our identity will evaporate on our death and be broken down into raw material for other uses, whereas the realised being will maintain their integrity. I have no comment to make on this, but it seems to make a certain sense.
    John_Spencer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Florian said:

I presume that @Citta means that Nirvana is not something to be 'gained', and is not claiming omniscience.

Exactly.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    federica said:

Of course.

in that case, my bad.

;)

You're alright you are.

:)
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I am going to trot out my favourite Trungpa quote again..
    " We see ourselves some time in the future on a brightly lit stage, enlightened, surrounded by adoring acolytes.
    There is just one problem with this little scenario. When enlightenment happens ..' you ' wont be there......."
    federicaFlorianJohn_Spencerpegembara
    edited May 2013
    (It seems I can't have 'insightful' and 'LOL' at the same time. But I think both apply...!)
    Florian
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    rohit said:

I always think that whether a married person attain nirvana? Married person may have lots of worries about life partner or worry about offsprings future in this case he/she may not have stable mind.

As a married person, I have a keen interest in this question! :)

The short answer, from a Theravada point of view at least, seems to be: you can get part of the way, at least. There are four stages to enlightenment (stream entry, once-returner, non-returner, arahant). A married person should be able to get to stream entry at least, because reaching that stage doesn't require the extinction of sexual desire.

One can be married and make it all the way to arahant -- but it would be a celibate marriage by the third stage (non-returner).

I'm not sure how it works in Mahayana and Vajrayana.

Agree that laypeople and monks each have their own sets of challenges. A challenge for laypeople is that the requirements of worldly life make it difficult or inadvisable to undertake certain kinds of practice (I wouldn't advise trying to eradicate "emotional intimacy" if you are raising children, for example). I can't say much about the specific challenges monks and nuns face, as I have never ordained, but monastics frequently acknowledge that they have plenty of issues to deal with.
    rohit
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    If we look at what the awake say before their non existence kicks in [try not to laugh] we find they are able to function, exist in the world and appear and manifest perfectly normally . . . just as we all do . . .
    The difference is where they are manifesting from.

Whatever arises dependently
    Is explained as empty.
    Thus dependent attribution
    Is the middle way.
    Since there is nothing whatever
    That is not dependently existent,
    For that reason there is nothing
    Whatsoever that is not empty.

Nagarjuna

. . . meanwhile if nothing better to do . . . we wake up to who can wake up . . .
    Every one of us . . .
    :clap:
  • @rohit, are you trying to assess whether Nirvana is a feasible goal for you personally?
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited May 2013
    fivebells said:

@rohit, are you trying to assess whether Nirvana is a feasible goal for you personally?

May be. But it can be applicable to most of the people. For example being monk, it is not necessary that all will be able to concentrate because now days monks do not live like ancient ones like wondering place to place for their religious work.
    There is also issue of money. Some living in Buddhist country may don't have problem to gain bhiksha. But some monks living in non majority buddhist countries lives like normal person. If such monks have bank balance of own then they would not be like normal monk.
    I think monk has to wonder place to place and should eat only offerings from people to exactly know things.
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    May be, we have to live life according to eightfold path and being master of own mind. And next life will depend on status of mind at the time of death. It may possible that some person who never good at morals in whole life may attain nirvana if gained enlightenment at the time of death and vice versa.
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    rohit said:

Many Buddhist monks says that vippasanna is the only way to nibbana/nirvana. I always think that whether a married person attain nirvana? Married person may have lots of worries about life partner or worry about offsprings future in this case he/she may not have stable mind

Having a family or being married etc has nothing to do whether someone could reach nivana or not.. (My view at least)

I believe someone could still attain enlightenment and nirvana even in the most stressful circumstances..

If anything, i honestly believe lay people have more chance of becoming enlightened than hardcore monks..

(Someone who has masterd living the lay life would find the monks life a piece of cake...... But a monk who has masterd the monastry life would find it very difficult to live the laymens life)

rohit
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2013
    From the Vajrayana/Dzogchen pov ones marriage or social status or gender has no bearing at all on the potential for enlightenment. In fact some of the very greatest Vajrayana teachers have been householders.
    People like Marpa the teacher of Milarepa,who brought back the Mahamudra teachings from India to Tibet , and the late Dudjom Rinpoche.
    The great Mahasiddhas were often married men and women who lived in the world as enlightened beings. Marpa was a farmer. The great teacher Tilopa pressed and sold sesame oil , his name was derived from " Til" ...sesame.
    Many of the greatest Dzogchen teachers of the past and present have been married.
    The Vajrayana does not consider such apparent states as Stream Winner, Once Returner etc to be more than skillful means..concepts that have symbolic value.
    From a Dzogchen perspective it is not even necessary to be a Buddhist.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    zenmyste said:

If anything, i honestly believe lay people have more chance of becoming enlightened than hardcore monks..

(Someone who has masterd living the lay life would find the monks life a piece of cake...... But a monk who has masterd the monastry life would find it very difficult to live the laymens life)

Very interesting perspective. I had read an article somewhere along the way when I was living in Thailand about a long-time monk who had trouble adjusting to lay life after he had left the monkhood. But I never really thought about it much until your comment.

Thanks for that perspective!

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    I vote that we start a New Buddhist graph for the suffering engendered by various discussed subjects.

I think the blissful "Nirvana" would probably be near the top of this graph for the strength of the opinions about it, the insistence of getting it hair splitting " right", the slight differences depending on various traditions and (except for those present NB members in fill Nirvanic bloom) is ah sooo theoretical.

I do see it's value as an occasional sign post pointing the way but try to remember that to carry it, is to render it useless.
    riverflowvinlyn
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    edited May 2013
    rohit said:

Many Buddhist monks says that vippasanna is the only way to nibbana/nirvana.

Well that is ridiculous because there is no single way to do vippasanna, there are seemingly millions of different ways many completely from each other and if you as some one what is the right way to do it you never get a straight answer.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The definition of Buddhanature is that you *can* reach nirvana. I think people should think about how they will practice at death. And of course, how they practice in life. The connections a person makes with the path of unlightenment could possibly help them in death. For example how they have transformed their thinking or the memory and presence of friends in the dharma. I think just an ordinary person can be transformed by unconditional love or even just learning about non-violent/aggressive communication.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I would have said Jeffrey that Buddhanature points to not needing to reach nirvana. It has never gone anywhere.
    riverflowvinlyn
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I don't agree unless you say we are all Buddhas. If we are all Buddhas then why are we suffering?

Personally, I am not a Buddha.
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Citta said:

Hmmm...

Nirvāṇa is a composed of three phones ni and va and na:

van: like, love; wish, desire; gain, procure; conquer, win; possess; prepare;[4]
    edited May 2013
    I like hearing the various perspectives.

The only one I'm sort of familiar with is the standard Theravada POV, which I think is also found in some (but not all) Ch'an/Zen schools. Basically, craving (and specifically craving for sensual experience, or tanha) is the cause of dukkha. Let go of craving and you let go of dukkha. No craving=no dukkha=nibbana. Basically what's said in the Noble Truths.

As I see it, this implies that in order to complete the path, ordinary lay life must be abandoned, because worldly happiness is tied up with tanha. That doesn't mean all practitioners must abandon ordinary lay life (I don't intend to); we can still become enlightened to a degree (sotapanna/stream entry)...better than just roiling around in samsaric confusion.

I do get the impression that some strands of Mahayana (and perhaps even some modern Theravadins) have a different take on the question and are more concerned with developing a kind of insight that changes our relationship to craving -- rather than abandoning it altogether.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @Lazy_eye

In Tibetan Buddhism the second noble truth is avidya as cause of suffering. Avidya means turning away from experience or ignorance. Just thought I would share.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2013

Citta said:

Hmmm...

van: like, love; wish, desire; gain, procure; conquer, win; possess; prepare;[4]
    So who gains it ?
    The karma ? The skandhas ? Some kind of atta ?
    As the Zen people say, there are no Enlightened people. Just Enlightened activity.
    riverflowpegembara
    edited May 2013
    Citta said:

Citta said:

Hmmm...

So who gains it ? The karma ? The skandhas ? Some kind of atta ?
    As the Zen people say, there are no Enlightened people. Just Enlightened activity.

Ahh... there, @Citta, I agree with your lovely quote from Trungpa "When enlightenment happens ..' you ' wont be there......."

What I questioned was @Florian's response which is that Nirvana is not to be 'gained' (to which you responded "exactly")...
    Jeffrey said:

@Lazy_eye

In Tibetan Buddhism the second noble truth is avidya as cause of suffering. Avidya means turning away from experience or ignorance. Just thought I would shis ihare.

@Jeffrey, thanks for this clarification. Good to know. Could you say more about the Vajrayana/Tibetan view of avidya? I think I get it but am not sure. What would be an example of turning away from experience? Becoming a hermit, for instance? Or displaying aversion to some sort of experience?
  • @rohit, well you're right, it is much easier to stabilize the mind in an ideal monastic context, but not strictly necessary.
    rohit
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    That's a good question on turning away. I can't very well dodge it because it's what my Lama teaches. An example of turning away is happening with me right now. Will I mess up the explanation? What will people think of me?

I think you can choose to be a hermit without turning away. A lot of the amazing beings went into seclusion in a cave. That's what a retreat is about, right?

Another kind of turning away would be when you are too distracted to practice by other things. These could be drinking; how do you meditate in the evening if you are drunk? I think maybe 'denial' could be a western idea related to turning away. In my life I am schizophrenic which the twists and turns of that have made me fearful. With the mental voices I hear I have to face them so in that case it is impossible to turn away. If you see someone in need it is possible that you turn away because their plight makes you stressed. Maybe an example is at a funeral where you don't know what to say to help people but you just have trust that whatever happens you will do your best and have confidence.

So it is related to aversion. You can't take the sensitivity it makes you feel and you try to fight back and shut out the world. You get the idea that the world is against you and you are like fighting to make it peaceful or loving or stable or however you are resisting. Turning towards would be to see that all of these conditions are workable. Again that is confidence. My teacher says that most if not all the teachings are meant to give us confidence in our path.

My sangha is mahayana at my level or actually I have the hinayana motivation in my practice to rid myself of suffering so that I am not a drag on everyone. And with regards to Buddhas not-self teaching I more gravitate towards the emptiness of skhandas in my understanding rather than the subtler teachings on madyamaka which I am prioritizing to a later date. My teacher is approved by her teacher to teach on mahamudra, along with dzogchen the 'highest' tantra. She published her doctoral thesis on the shentong view of emptiness with all the polemics, but I don't practice that because I haven't been able to understand to well and I have found a good practice to work on without understanding the mahamudra. So my teacher is mahamudra, my sangha is mahayana, and I am mostly hinayana examing the three marks and examining my consciousness.

Another kind of avidya happens to me whenever whatever hobby or other way of keeping busy gets boring. You have to open to the boredom and then when the attachment to the fun (now lack) falls apart you have confidence that a new mandala/activity will open up. Could be house cleaning, reading, or meditating. With avidya thoughts creep in like craving the feeling you miss now in your hobby.

CittaLazy_eye
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Another example is that I sense my understanding on my practice is unfounded. I could turn away from this and be upset all day. But I turn towards it and rejoice that this misunderstanding may be discovered. Confront the confusion and sit with it.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013

What I questioned was @Florian's response which is that Nirvana is not to be 'gained' (to which you responded "exactly")...
    Ah no. I was simply clarifying a remark made by Citta. I made no claims. Or am I now just perpetuating the muddle?
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I don't agree unless you say we are all Buddhas. If we are all Buddhas then why are we suffering?

Personally, I am not a Buddha.

Some might say that it's only that you haven't found out yet.

edited May 2013
    Florian said:

Ah no. I was simply clarifying a remark made by Citta. I made no claims. Or am I now just perpetuating the muddle?

Ah - right... I wasn't claiming you made a claim. I was claiming you responded. Yes. We are perpetuating the muddle. Sorry.

:-/
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Some might say that @Florian. But not all. Nirvana and samsara are not the same thing. Samsara is wandering through distractions. Nirvana is seeing the nature of reality.
    Lazy_eye
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I would rather say that the two worlds are one, but that they aren't until we make them so. But this is not to disagree with you at all. At this level of profundity I'm flying on instruments.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Florian said:

I would rather say that the two worlds are one, but that they aren't until we make them so. But this is not to disagree with you at all. At this level of profundity I'm flying on instruments.

Which means for all practical purposes, the two are entirely different.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Florian said:

At this level of profundity I'm flying on instruments.

Fly high. Fly free. Fly empty.
    "thank you for flying with Nirvana . . . please return to you seats . . . "

:wave:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    betaboy said:

Florian said:

Someone had better tell Nagarjuna. Hey Nagarjuna, profound Buddhist thinker , you got it wrong.
    Florian
  • Nirvana is all about the cessation of becoming. If one could master the skill of calming the subtle conscious mind into a perfectly 'still' condition, then the state of cessation can be experienced right here, right now. It's all depending on one's sheer determination to achieve it - the complete neutralised state of affairs. And vipassana meditation is the direct way to reach it.
    pegembaraperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    " Those who grasp after the notion that ' I will be free from grasping and Nirvana will be mine ' have a great grasp on grasping "

Nagarjuna. Madhyamika-Karika.

It appears that there may be more than one type of Buddhism... :hair:
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    betaboy said:

Florian said:

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion. For most people they are entirely different, but this is a matter of perception, not ontology.

riverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Citta said:

" Those who grasp after the notion that ' I will be free from grasping and Nirvana will be mine ' have a great grasp on grasping "

Nagarjuna. Madhyamika-Karika.

It appears that there may be more than one type of Buddhism... :hair:

Or more likely, more than one type of graspable Buddhist speculative theory.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    OK.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    Thank goodness we have Nagarjuna to help us figure out what the Buddha was getting at, and do not have to rely entirely on walking the walk.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2013
    I don't think ascertaining what the Buddha was getting at is a simple matter.
    Given that he left no written record..because he was born into a preliterate culture.
    And that his words were spoken in an extinct language,( Maghadi ) which were then recorded in another and artificial language ( Pali ) which was invented 500 years after he died.
    And that he was born into a culture that assumed that the Earth was flat and that there was a giant mountain in the centre of the universe. And that earthquakes are caused by water circulating in space above the world. And that sexuality prevented spiritual development.
    And he apparently accepted those views.
    We have no way of knowing the Buddha.
    Even the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path are later additions which do not occur in the Pali Canon...which remember was written 500 years after the Buddha. Thats as long as from Henry 8th until now.
    Fortunately we have great teachers like Nagarjuna to help fill in the huge yawning gaps.
    riverflow
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    i am a Hindu, not a Buddhist, so i think my understanding can be too wrong about Nirvana, but what i have read on internet over the last 1.5 years regarding Buddhism, i can say, what i have found is that below are the different views of Nirvana in different traditions:

Therevada view - Nirvana is the cessation of all conditions. Samsara is the conditioned phenomena. So an analogy is - Samsara is on one side of river and Nirvana is on the other side of river, and to cross the river to go from Samsara to Nirvana is done using the boat and raft of Dhamma.

Mahayana view - Samsara and Nirvana are both realized through mind - one deluded(Samsara) and other without delusion(Nirvana). So at any moment, both Samsara and Nirvana co-exist simultaneously, the only thing is what is realized is based on the mind. So the analogy here is - Samsara and Nirvana are both on the same side of river, in here and now.

Zen view - Dogen said - to see delusion as delusion is enlightenment itself.

Tibetian view - To realize Buddha-nature is Nirvana.

Mind Only view - Both Samsara and Nirvana exist from mind. Nirvana is not a state of mind, rather the pure still radiant mind in its natural state is Nirvana.

above is my understanding which can be totally wrong, so if it is not correct, please correct it. thanks in advance.
    Jeffreyriverflow
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    He accepted those views? Hmm. But yes, a thousand thanks to Nagarjuna and other commentators and explicators. I find it utterly incredible that he is not better known in science and philosophy.
    riverflow
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I think that is an excellent summation misemisc1.
    It would be possible to add a short description of the Dzogchen position, but as that does not restrict itself to the Buddhist view , it may not be appropriate here.
This discussion has been closed.