Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

if you could levitate

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited July 2013 in General Banter
After a friend sent along a video debunking yogic levitation, I got to thinking ....

:)
riverflow

Comments

• SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited July 2013
    If I could levitate, I'd probably be tempted to pull a LORD OF ILLUSIONS and go on the road with a magic act. :D

Nah... I'd find better things to do. I think if you can do "magical" things like fly and such, you probably wouldn't want to show anyone out of fear of being hunted down and killed or used for your abilities. Not to mention, you'll probably want to do humble, behind the scenes dharma work and help the world, not focus on making a profit and showing off just to show off... which answers the question at the end of your article "Then what?". At least that's what I would do. :om: :om: :om: :om: :om:
    edited July 2013
    Thanks for reading my mind... :D I was about to go look this up.

Ever since I was very young, I honestly thought I could fly if I concentrated hard enough (i.e. or as we call it as adults, "meditation"). I would sit in my bedroom and shut my eyes and really believe it was possible. I was about 4 years old doing this... so maybe it's something I learned about in a previous life that stuck with me. I also thought I could control the weather, too, and I found that's another closely associated "magical" thing. Strange, eh? Lots of things like this have stuck with me... strong imprints I suppose. So I tend to believe in the stuff, really. It doesn't phase me in the least that it's possible.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    is there a surcharge for excess baggage....?
    SillyPutty
  • robotrobot Veteran
    The sleeper has awakened!

Vincenzi Member
    August 2011 edited August 2011 Flag
    (...)
    The cool thing about that footage is that it shows how aliens can disappear and appear at will. They're very much in touch with the astral plane, with other dimensions, they can go through walls etc. They aren't restricted by the modern science that we know.
    I invented that technique of the astral hand (used now to make mudras of defense, protection & as sigils for Galdr).

I warn everyone reading this: within the timeframe of 2012/2014 (the 13th Baktun, and first 2 years of the new Baktun); aliens/elves may visit earth. there is a telepathic connection // hacking skills are AAA (Stuxnet level) // warrior skills :: enough to slay asuras. Pleiadian aliens/devas are acting starting this year in a more active way... I claim alliance to Pleione as a rebirth from there.

Gæa is awakened, deal with it
    PadmaPhalaSillyPuttyperson
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It's true ... then what?
    It's untrue ... then what?

Is suffering somehow mitigated either way? Is joyful peace improved? Is faith credibly enhanced? Is there chocolate cake for dessert?
    riverflowlobster
    edited July 2013

æ practice Galdr...
    Odin's Ancient Religion.

Oh that's freaky... you just helped me to remember something else I used to do... in grade school I'd get really bored (happened a lot... lol), and I'd sit in my desk and doodle-- unbeknownst to me at the time-- rune symbols. :eek: I didn't know they were rune symbols I was doodling (I seemed to doodle Thurisaz, Mannaz and Algiz the most) at the time, until I got older and started to have internet access. When I eventually started to learn about runes, I was shocked to see that I had been having them in my mind already and doodling them as a child.

So freaky.
    maarten
  • It would be handy when I need to clean my gutters.
    SillyPuttyCitta
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Time to dust off one of my anecdotes.

Rumour had it that Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche levitated down the monastery corridors at night.
    I took a deep breath and asked him if it was true.
    He gave me one of his looks.. " ( Dharma name )" .. he said eventually " go away and grow up ".
    He later wrote a classic called " Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism "...cough.
    aMattriverflowperson
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Well said @citta :) How could one levitate with the self's desire for levitating weighing one down? Give it up, then we levitate in the dharma, which is the only type Buddha said was not shameful (ie adding to the conflicting views of the samsara)
    SillyPuttyriverflow
    edited July 2013
    genkaku said:

It's true ... then what?
    It's untrue ... then what?

Is suffering somehow mitigated either way? Is joyful peace improved? Is faith credibly enhanced? Is there chocolate cake for dessert?

I dunno. I guess it's just some cool stuff you can do that inspires others to know that anything is possible since nothing is "real". Hopefully it breaks any illusions we have of what is "reality" and allows our minds to open up more and become more awakened and hopefully even some day enlightened. :mullet:
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

I dunno. I guess it's just some cool stuff you can do that inspires others to know that anything is possible since nothing is "real". Hopefully it breaks any illusions we have of what is "reality" and allows our minds to open up more and become more awakened and hopefully even some day enlightened. :mullet:

This is not what happens, however, according to what I remember of Buddha's instructions. He said that "powers" produce self-grasping in the observers. "Look at HIM who is FLYING" deludes the mind into seeing a "him" where there is not. For instance, look at the grasping that centers around Jesus, who is said to have an atypical relationship to reality, and now is considered by many to be unique (ie of an unobtainable status/important self-hood).
    riverflow
  • aMatt said:

This is not what happens, however, according to what I remember of Buddha's instructions. He said that "powers" produce self-grasping in the observers. "Look at HIM who is FLYING" deludes the mind into seeing a "him" where there is not. For instance, look at the grasping that centers around Jesus, who is said to have an atypical relationship to reality, and now is considered by many to be unique (ie of an unobtainable status/important self-hood).

Hmm... I guess I see what you mean... which is why those who can do it keep it secret (yes, I am of the belief that there are people who do it now but keep it quiet).

So I guess we zoom back around to the initial question, "Then what?" I dunno then. If it doesn't inspire and only creates grasping, then who knows? Maybe they all secretly turn into superheros and save kittens in trees when we're not looking. :vimp:
  • This brings to mind this old story:
    When Bankei was preaching at Ryumon temple, a Shinshu priest, who believed in salvation through repetition of the name of the Buddha of Love, was jealous of his large audience and wanted to debate with him.

Bankei was in the midst of a talk when the priest appeared, but the fellow made such a disturbance that Bankei stopped his discourse and asked about the noise.

"The founder of our sect," boasted the priest, "had such miraculous powers that he held a brush in his hand on one bank of the river, his attendant held up a paper on the other bank, and the teacher wrote the holy name of Amida through the air. Can you do such a wonderful thing?"

Bankei replied lightly: "Perhaps your fox can perform that trick, but that is not the manner of Zen. My miracle is that when I feel hungry I eat, and when I feel thirsty I drink."
    And, in a similar vein, Thich Nhat Hanh: "People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle."

And good ol' cranky but loveable uncle Henry: "Men talk about Bible miracles because there is no miracle in their lives. Cease to gnaw that crust. There is ripe fruit over your head." ~ Henry David Thoreau, Journal entry dated June 1850

I just can't muster a fascination for miracles of the so-called "supernatural" sort. It seems to suggest that what already lies at hand has some lesser value. As if it has to found elsewhere-- anywhere but here! I'd rather just chop firewood and fetch water.
    Citta
    edited July 2013
    riverflow said:

I just can't muster a fascination for miracles of the so-called "supernatural" sort. It seems to suggest that what already lies at hand has some lesser value. As if it has to found elsewhere-- anywhere but here! I'd rather just chop firewood and fetch water.

I agree with your post. Although I want to add to it this question:

Why do "supernatural" things have to be seen as "better" or greater? To me, they seem quite... regular and neutral. And why do some individuals think of supernatural abilities as "dirty" or something that we shouldn't acknowledge? Walking... running... biking... flying... it's all the same to me! Why isn't it the same to you (speaking in the general "you", not directly towards you, riverflow)? Ahh... it's your preconceived notions, that's what! That's what's causing you to see certain things as "good" or "bad".

When people assign greater value to supernatural occurrences, it is them, not the person who possesses the supernatural ability, that has the grasping issue. To me, flying is just as normal as the example of fetching water. Not saying I can fly, but if I saw someone else do it, it would be just as equal. Those who are placing such a heavy feeling of "awe" on it are the ones who need to sit back and examine why they are so fascinated by it and look down upon it with such disdain (or, perhaps, jealousy?). It's like someone who cannot sing well putting down someone else who can. It's just an action; movement... energy flowing but at a different rate. So why does there always seem to be this attitude of "oh, supernatural things are for show offs and unenlightening beings" when it's brought up? If you can levitate? That's awesome! If you can read minds? Super cool! If you can play the piano well? I love it! If you can pat your head and rub your belly at the same time? Teach me how!

I just don't get it. Everyone needs to stop "poo-poo'ing" supernatural abilities like there's something inherently wrong with them. If you have them, I am happy for you. It means you're evolving and doing something beautiful. :thumbsup: And if you can't do anything "supernatural" like most of the rest of humanity, that's equally as hunky-dory. We all have unique things about us. Open up your minds and stop grasping at what *your* preconceived notions are as to what is "good" and what is "bad." If supernatural abilities were "bad" and a sign of self-indulgent behavior, then they wouldn't have been mentioned in the dharma in a positive light in any manner.

So if your intentions are pure and you possess supernatural abilities, then there should be no issue nor any judgement against you for having them, right? As long as your goal isn't to develop them, but they come by naturally, then what is the problem? Again, I feel and sense a lot of jealousy from people when this topic comes up. It's almost as if, "I work hard, but I am not clairvoyant... so let me act as if it's not something important, so I don't feel left out." To think and feel this way is ridiculous and a sign that you are hungry for power and "specialness." And that's probably why you won't ever develop any abilities anyway. As CItta pointed out, "Go away and grow up."

:)
    Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Not Flying levitating, just falling with style! Jeesh, gimme a break! :lol:
    SillyPutty
  • I've personally never witnessed or experienced anything of a "paranormal" or "supernatural" nature. I have a friend who, when seeing something he thinks as mysterious immediately wants to give it some supernatural reason (or extraterrestrials, or any variety of conspiracy theories). I've even had a UFO experience which I later determined occurred due to an interesting optical illusion with depth. But my friend would automatically resort to an extraterrestrial explanation. That thought would never even occur to me! I don't know why-- perhaps I lack the proper metaphysical wiring haha

I simply cannot relate to that desire of importing the "supernatural" onto events. I don't think of that as a judgment-- I simply makes no sense to me when I have found other, more rational explanations for things. How can I go by anyone else's experience? And what I cannot explain I can rest content without resorting to any explanation at all. It never occurs to me to use the supernatural as a stop-gap where we can't otherwise explain it.

In the meantime, I do often see miraculous things that many people often don't take the time to notice. Why would I even need to stray into the metaphysical? Must we label the mundane as "mundane"? Just because you can explain something in rational terms doesn't mean it can't also possess great beauty and mystery. It all depends on how you relate to a given thing. I can examine the structure of a piece of music, but that won't tell me why it moves me so (and certainly not why it might move anyone else!). I can have the best of both worlds, but what I experience takes place in one and the same world, not two different ones.

I know not everyone sees it that way (I suppose it would be boring if everyone did!), but I experience life that way. It has nothing to do with "good" or "bad."
    federica
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    There is an amusement park ride where the room spins and develops force that pushes you against the wall. Then the floor drops out and you are 'levitating'.

Regarding sidhis (paranormal powers), @SillyPutty, I think sometimes it is said not to take sidhis as a sign of spiritual attainment. If you think about it, it is in line with what you say. Sidhis are ordinary and they don't involve the four noble truths. They are just like being a fast runner or having perfect pitch or a photographic memory.

But it is cautioned to remember that you have to study and meditate so investing all of your energy in your sidhi does not get you out of samsara. If you believe in the cosmology of some teachers/ings you will find that Gods and creator devas have tons of sidhis but they are still attached to the wheel of samsara. In an eastern culture class I took we had a coursepack of a gimish of eastern writings and in one writing Brahma was addressing the Buddha and the Buddha (or was it krishna?) pointed to an ant that was in the splendorous throne room floor. Buddha asked if Brahma saw that ant. The Brahma said 'of courses why do you ask?' The Buddha then explained that the ant had once been Brahma and lived out a life as the God, but eventually the karma turned and it had many rebirths to become an ant. The Buddha revealed that Brahma who was in the room as creator God also once upon a time was an ant like the one on the floor who had through many rebirths risen to become himself, Brahma. I mention this because even Brahma is still in the cycle of rebirths.

(note I don't intend to upset any person or sect of hinduism. This is just a little tale from my course book of my eastern/western arts and culture class.)
    SillyPuttyperson
  • riverflow said:

In the meantime, I do often see miraculous things that many people often don't take the time to notice.

I was taught in grade school that everything is a "miracle." I remember this guest speaker coming into class and telling us to clap our hands. He said, "That what you did right there? THAT is a MIRACLE! YOU are MIRACLES!" That has stuck with me ever since.
    riverflow said:

It has nothing to do with "good" or "bad."

And I wasn't directing those comments at you. I do understand what you are saying and I agree like I said. However, again, what's the difference between clapping your hands and flying? Nothing. I understand that you don't "believe" in "supernatural" things, and that's fine. All I'm saying is, there is no difference, assuming "supernatural" things are, in fact, regular moments experienced by many of us.
    edited July 2013
    Jeffrey said:

But it is cautioned to remember that you have to study and meditate so investing all of your energy in your sidhi does not get you out of samsara.

Oh, I agree. I was actually told by a Rinpoche who is well known for doing divination that I was a "god" of sorts for many aeons in my previous lives (I had one human life before this as a female Buddhist practitioner in India, but that was about it... mostly god-realm stuff). Again, it's probably why I have such strong imprints regarding "supernatural" things. So "supernatural" abilities, I know, can appear extremely tempting to cling to, however so can diamond rings and Swiss bank accounts and lovers and dream careers and being able to slam dunk a basketball with ease. They should all be seen and treated as superficial distractions while on our path. Why supernatural abilities are seen by some as being as a "no-no" is beyond me. They just... are. We're all supposed to be interconnected, right? So that doesn't just mean "we" as life on Earth. That includes *all* realms, including the godly realms and the hell realms. So wouldn't that mean that everything is equal and neutral and unbiased in terms of abilities and "powers" and such? It's all the same thing. We're all the same.

On that note, I don't want to be reborn as a god again nor do I want to be reborn in the lower realms either, if that means I won't have a chance to learn the dharma, thus reach enlightenment. Human rebirth is the only way to learn the dharma and reach enlightenment from what I'm told, so even though I tend to hate it here, I would like to keep coming back here if that is the case. I want to try to get this "enlightenment" thing right (although that is grasping in and of itself) because I understand that all of these attachments we have are just going to keep making us come back over and over again. I also don't want to have any aversions either, because that's just as bad and keeps you coming back. So if I was blessed with the ability to fly tomorrow, but had to give it up the next day, I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Nothing lasts forever, and we shouldn't hold onto anything "forever"-- especially something as insignificant as "supernatural" abilities. I just want to be the best I can be, and when enlightenment finally does happen, be able to help others get to the same point so we're all one big happy family, flying around and dunking basketballs together (or something to that effect... :D ).

So... yeah... it is what it is, I suppose. :)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Genkaku’s mother’s quote is good.

If I win the lottery and I’m a multimillionaire; then what?
    If I find the secret to eternal youth (and get 25 years younger first); then what?
    If … you can fill in whatever you want... but then what?
    riverflowperson
  • zenff said:

Genkaku’s mother’s quote is good.

If I win the lottery and I’m a multimillionaire; then what?
    If I find the secret to eternal youth (and get 25 years younger first); then what?
    If … you can fill in whatever you want... but then what?

I'm not a student of Trungpa's, but wasn't that his bone of contention anyway? i.e. You have reached enlightenment; now what?

If that's the case, then we're all pretty much screwed. :lol: I assumed enlightenment would pretty much solve that "then what" question in some fashion.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited July 2013

I'm not a student of Trungpa's, but wasn't that his bone of contention anyway? i.e. You have reached enlightenment; now what?

Perhaps reading some of his work would be helpful! His bone of contention was being a stranger in a strange land in my opinion. However, much of his efforts were to help people stop running for cookies. Until we confront the aspect of self that craves power, we are naturally drawn into wishing and dreaming. Said differently, actions which disagree with modern physics can be described as 'normal' all we want, but it is only disguised longing.

With warmth,
    Matt
    SillyPuttyriverflow
  • When I was young I used to watch ,"The Flying Nun."
    I loved that show . Remember how big the hats were? It was quite a plausible scenario to my six year old brain that such small nun with such a big hat could fly.
    The nun was a reluctant flyer who learned to use her powers for good so there is much to be learned here.
    I do not believe in levitation but would love to be proved wrong. However, the reaction a mere mortal has to a godly power is an interesting study.
    MaryAnne
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Perhaps the real flying mentioned in the suttas just happens in a "dream realm" or "astral realm" rather than a physical one? The Buddha shooting across the sky with flowers shooting out of his buttocks, perhaps this is a dream realm scenario? Or something that new age people call "astral projection" or something that native shamans call "journeying"? But of course, I doubt very much the Buddha took peyote to do it. He probably took something called "Jhana".

:lol:
    SillyPuttyriverflowkarastiInvincible_summer
    edited July 2013
    seeker242 said:

Perhaps the real flying mentioned in the suttas just happens in a "dream realm" or "astral realm" rather than a physical one? The Buddha shooting across the sky with flowers shooting out of his buttocks, perhaps this is a dream realm scenario? Or something that new age people call "astral projection" or something that native shamans call "journeying"? But of course, I doubt very much the Buddha took peyote to do it. He probably took something called "Jhana".

Never thought of it in that sense, @seeker242. Makes a lot of sense. Astral projection is another thing I truly believe in as real. And there are many more people who could attest to that than levitating/flying. :D
  • seeker242 said:

The Buddha shooting across the sky with flowers shooting out of his buttocks, perhaps this is a dream realm scenario?

Thanks, @seeker242 - that hilarious image will stick in my mind for the next couple weeks! If I start giggling uncontrollably at my next sangha meeting, I will blame you all for it! hahaha

(then again, maybe everyone else will take this as a sign that I have "attained enlightenment"!!!)

If that's the case, then we're all pretty much screwed. :lol: I assumed enlightenment would pretty much solve that "then what" question in some fashion.

The whole point is that once Enlightenment is reached, the questions are pointless, because they're irrelevant. Enlightenment IS 'what then'. After that, it's business as usual.

With the light on.
    SillyPuttyCitta
  • federica said:

The whole point is that once Enlightenment is reached, the questions are pointless, because they're irrelevant. Enlightenment IS 'what then'. After that, it's business as usual.

With the light on.
    federica -- one of my other favorite posters. :D Thanks!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    America's Got Talent recently had an audition where the person walked onto stage and then proceeded to levitate. MAGIC!

• wrathfuldeitywrathfuldeity Veteran
    edited July 2013
    In my case, its not the levitation that is the problem...its the landing
    And I was using yogic powers..."hey hey boo boo...watch this"...and take a picture...lol
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Could you imagine the money saved on gas?
    PadmaPhala
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    seeker242 said:

Or perhaps as he himself said...he awakened.
    When asked if he a god or a deva he replied " I am awake".
    Gods or devas were the only model familiar to his questioners coming as they did from an ancient preexisting religious culture with a well formed mindset.
    His reply indicated a different mode a different alternative..that conventional life, including conventional reigious life in its ancient Indian forms, is the dream.
    But he was awake.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    aMatt said:

But what if it is something we could all do if taught? It could be that levitation comes naturally if the conditions are right.

I agree it's a stretch but just saying... "Look at THEY who are SWIMMING"

Levitation could come to be quite an ordinary thing.

• ourself said:

But what if it is something we could all do if taught? It could be that levitation comes naturally if the conditions are right.

I agree it's a stretch but just saying... "Look at THEY who are SWIMMING"

Levitation could come to be quite an ordinary thing.

That's basically what I've been saying all along in a round about way. That's why I keep putting "supernatural" in quotes. I don't think there's anything "supernatural" about the things discussed in this thread. I think, with the right conditions, anyone can do it. Just like learning how to swim, as you pointed out.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited July 2013
    Levitation illusion revealed:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It would be nice to be able to meditate without sore ankles and tingly feet.
    personMaryAnne
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    You'd would want to fly like superman next!
    Vastmind