Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Obsessed with mala beads. Help Me

So I have about 20 now. I have heard different opinions to the " traditional " number of mala some monks keep. 2 or 3 at most for different mantras? I dont know, but I am having a pretty difficult time letting go because of my attachment to them. Even HH TDL has stated he is very attached to his beads.

I just started a "zen" / minimalist lifestyle and would like to get down to a much more reasonable number. I know I wont be able to pick just 1 because I have 1 thats extremely sentimental, and at least 5 or 6 that are very symbolic and meaningful (those are not sentimental though)

I know how silly and perhaps ridiculous this sounds but any advice?

Comments

• I too have a little "thing" for (wrist) malas.
    I currently have about 6 or 7 of them, but at one time I was up to about 12+.
    However, unless you are spending $$ that should be spent on rent, mortgage, bills or unless you're using food money on them, really, what's the harm?

The $ you spend on malas - if you are buying from the 'right' places - helps with various Buddhist/Tibetan charities, etc. If the money isn't the issue, then think of it as a 'hobby of appreciation for hand made products'. :-)

You could do what I've done and that's give malas away to friends and family members whenever they express an admiration or appreciation for them... I've given away at least 6 or 7 wrist malas as birthday gifts (or anytime gifts) to my daughters, friends and other family members; and only my one daughter is an actual Buddhist like me.

As for trying to get down to just one or two sets... I don't know what to tell you, except don't get swept up in the "crisis" of paring down before you are ready or willing to. Just keep them well and safe and as the opportunity arises to gift one to someone, you do it. :-)
    SillyPuttyShigo
  • SillyPuttySillyPutty Veteran
    edited July 2013
    If you are equally attached to all of them, then throw them in a bag, shuffle it around, without looking pick just one out (and maybe another back up in case your current one breaks), and giveaway or sell the others. That's how I would do it at least. It's liberating to get rid of excess. You can't possibly use all of them at once, and wouldn't it feel wonderful to give them out to someone who may need one or would appreciate one? I've mentioned this lady's site before, but there's this great concept called secretagentL.com. She started this movement where she'd leave anonymous gifts with notes attached and inspired others to join her "agency". Maybe you could end up inspiring someone to look into Buddhism by simply leaving an anonymous mala gift with a note explaining what it is and how special it is to you? How kismet would that be? Just a thought.
    MaryAnneShigo
  • Thank you both @SillyPutty and @MaryAnne Im already feeling inspired. Might sell one or 2 and give the rest away.
    SillyPutty
  • I have a couple of them too, and am thinking about a few more, at least one. I have tulsi (2) for Vishnu (could probably use it for Maa Lakshmi because tulsi is an incarnation of Lakshmi); rudraksha for Shiva; one of unknown wood I got 'cuz I liked it; :rolleyes: all 108 beads, and a 27 bead one of rosewood (I think it's rosewood). I'd like a crystal one, which is supposedly for any deity. I can't afford $300 for a coral one for Sri Hanuman. :eek: I keep mine in small drawstring cloth bags in my shrine. In Hindu tradition, at least, one mālā is used for each deity and mantra. Technically one should only use one mantra for their chosen deity, and not wear a mālā that's been used for japa. But there's those "rules" again that don't seem to have any real basis. Anyway, mālās are nice. :)
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Still remember when my female dog eat one of my malas, actually was a fun situation seeing my dog looking after all that scattered little wooden beads :) .I was worry a little that eating that my dog could be getting sick but she was fine.

Now I have two japa malas, one for daily use and one for replacement in case one doggy is around. :)
  • As @MaryAnne has stated, what's the problem with having quite a large amount of wrist malas? If you're not tight on money and not spending the money you have on malas when you should be spending it on bills, then there's no harm done. If you feel the malas do you good and help control certain emotions, then I say get as many as you'd like. What do you feel the need to want less?

I have two wrist malas (had 4 but two broke after getting snagged on a branch), one is for everyday use/wear, which is a lotus seed wrist mala, and the man who makes them makes them by hand in his house and sells them to anyone who would like to order them. The other one I wear only when I'm not working, because it's a wood ball with luck/happiness carvings on them, and it's a little big. I love having wrist malas and if I find one that I would enjoy, then I'll buy it.
  • My most important one was bought simply because I liked it. Shortly after my mom was rushed to the ICU where she was hooked up to machines to keep her alive for over a week. Total time in the hospital was almost 2 months. I used the mala every single day to say the medicine Buddha mantra.
    Well, my mom is alive Ill save every minute detail.
    My main goal here is not get caught up in deities and what mala to use for "whom" or "what" but incorporate my new lifestyle of a minimalist.
    As a Buddhist I think its a good choice and path to live/follow.

I dont have much in terms of "stuff" but ideally Im trying to minimize even more.
    And 20 Plus mala beads seems extreme and pointless to me.
    MaryAnne
  • Shigo said:

My most important one was bought simply because I liked it. Shortly after my mom was rushed to the ICU where she was hooked up to machines to keep her alive for over a week. Total time in the hospital was almost 2 months. I used the mala every single day to say the medicine Buddha mantra.
    Well, my mom is alive Ill save every minute detail.
    My main goal here is not get caught up in deities and what mala to use for "whom" or "what" but incorporate my new lifestyle of a minimalist.
    As a Buddhist I think its a good choice and path to live/follow.

I dont have much in terms of "stuff" but ideally Im trying to minimize even more.
    And 20 Plus mala beads seems extreme and pointless to me.

Well then @Shigo, you sound like you've thought this through pretty well, so do whatcha gotta do. :D
    Good Luck- and let us know how you feel while going through and after the minimizing process.

Shigo
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't think there is anything that is just automatically wrong in having too much of (for the most part) but I don't think there is anything wrong in wanting to minimize, either. Just keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities to present themselves for you to sell or give away the malas you choose not to keep. Do a couple geocaches in locations you really like and leave one in there :)

I seem to recall the HHDL really likes watches and has many of them. I don't think it's wrong to collect things as long as they are not causing problems for you. I tend to collect books, and sometimes I run out of space and know it's time to donate some to the library and used book store, lol.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    Shigo said:

I know how silly and perhaps ridiculous this sounds but any advice?

Only 20?
    I think you need 108. You can then wear them on your arm. Take them off in turn after each set of mantra.

:clap:
    KundoShigoSillyPutty
  • Hey good idea @lobster lol super Mala mantra power times a million! So let's see I need 88 more now
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2013
    I had an obsession with Mala's to at one point I solved it by giving them away to my teachers and sangha friends, I now have only one I really use.
    ShigoSillyPutty
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    caz said:

I now have only one I really use.

Consider sending it to Shigo he has far too few . . .

For the non materialist Buddhists, this or similar can be utilised . . .
    http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness/two/two-fingers
  • Hey @lobster that's a cool website about just using ones fingers. I've heard this before. Might be good for some but I really like the symbolic-ness of Mala and what 108 means so I'll continue to practice with them. Or perhaps giving your 108 mala idea a shot. (all fun and games aside I've got down to about 5 choices out of my 20) so I'm getting there.