Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alan Watts and Rebirth

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
Granted Alan Watts, or anyone for that matter has to be considered an authority on anything, in this case in particular Buddhism. In this lecture he seems to say (if I am not mistaken) that Buddhism and Hinduism were meant to liberate one or even a culture from the belief in rebirth (in my case I mean literal body to body reincarnation). He goes on to say he finds it funny when 'Westerners' adopt the belief in it for that reason.

Now, I have met about 5 Buddhist monks and they all seem to believe in rebirth. The reason they do, I am assuming is because they believe Buddha taught it. The reasons Alan Watts gives that Buddhists believe in it seem to be different.

I think I 'am having a hard time understanding his line of reasoning but at best I am confused about his claim that the belief in reincarnation is meant to be liberated from.

He starts talking about it at around 9 minutes.

Anyone else ever heard this idea? Why would a Buddhist reject the notion of ultimately accepting or even considering rebirth? Don't the monks believe it because Buddha taught it. Maybe not?

Comments

• zenffzenff Veteran
    There’s the simile of the burning house. The father doesn’t mention fire to his children who are in a burning house; they wouldn’t understand or they would panic. He promises toys and candy; they understand that.

In the same way if a Buddha realizes we’re living in something like the Matrix, he doesn’t explain the delusional nature of the whole thing. That would be too hard to believe. He shows a path, but he pictures that path in such a way it has a connection to the level of understanding of the audience. The full understanding is for later.

A Buddha works with what he finds. He would teach differently if he lived today.

I like such an idea, but I don’t know if it does justice to the historic reality.
    lobsterChrysalid
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    shanyin said:

Granted Alan Watts, or anyone for that matter has to be considered an authority on anything, in this case in particular Buddhism. In this lecture he seems to say (if I am not mistaken) that Buddhism and Hinduism were meant to liberate one or even a culture from the belief in rebirth (in my case I mean literal body to body reincarnation). He goes on to say he finds it funny when 'Westerners' adopt the belief in it for that reason.

Now, I have met about 5 Buddhist monks and they all seem to believe in rebirth. The reason they do, I am assuming is because they believe Buddha taught it. The reasons Alan Watts gives that Buddhists believe in it seem to be different.

I think I 'am having a hard time understanding his line of reasoning but at best I am confused about his claim that the belief in reincarnation is meant to be liberated from.

He starts talking about it at around 9 minutes.

Anyone else ever heard this idea? Why would a Buddhist reject the notion of ultimately accepting or even considering rebirth? Don't the monks believe it because Buddha taught it. Maybe no/blockquote

In my view he was spot-on in this. But its not a message that is likely to be welcomed. Most of us prefer our favourite upayas.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    If we want to talk about authorities, there is only one we should consider the authority and that's the Buddha. No-one who seriously read the Buddha's teachings can reasonably ignore that he himself believed in rebirth not because it was a social invention, but because he himself (thought he) realized it to be true. In other words, the Buddha investigated it and came to the conclusion rebirth is true.

However, he did go against virtually all other existing constructs surrounding it. Rebirth didn't occur in fixed classes, it wasn't fatalistic, it required no soul, and there was no ultimate God or Gods behind the wheel. He also didn't agree with all existing teachers at the time. So it's very unreasonable to assume that he wasn't able to challenge the idea of rebirth at all and look at it honestly. This is not beyond the capacity of any intelligent/reasonable human being and certainly not beyond the capacity of the Buddha who seemed willing to challenge everything.

So what Alan Watts says here simply is based on his own beliefs in what he says "sophisticated Buddhists".. At that point I stopped listening. Because of course that is very biased and no reasonable ground. If people disagree with your view you are not going to call them sophisticated, and those who agree you are going to call sophisticated.. In other words, simplified: he agrees with people because they agree with him. I respect his view, and he has all rights to it, but I think it is much more reasonable to look at the teachings of the Buddha himself. And there rebirth undeniably has a big role to play.
    riverflowkarmabluesshanyinDakini
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I don't think anyone is saying that Rebirth does not play an important part in the Buddhas own ideas. What is being said is that the idea of Rebirth is an upaya, a skillful means to convey radical ideas in a religious culture that valued the idea of reincarnation as a reward and punishment system. Not only valued it but as Watts says, sees it as axiomatic. The Buddha undermined that idea.
    However he left on the table a skeletal idea of reincarnation because he would have had no audience otherwise.
    Ajahn Buddhadasa the modern-era Thai teacher says " The Buddha leaves the idea of post-mortem rebirth as a framework for those not willing to see that linear time itself arises dependently and that the idea of successive births is predicated on variations on a theme of a non existent atta. In reality nothing occurs "...Later in the same essay he says "the fact that nothing of an objective nature occurs gives the possibility of Nibbana"
    SilouanDandelionChrysalid
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    India had a lot of spiritual seekers at the time, with all sorts of view. Reincarnation may have been the most common, but certainly not the only one. In the suttas there are also people holding a view of materialism/annihilation. The Buddha said he thought they were wrong. So that rebirth was just a skillful means doesn't really hold. It would also mean he would have been lying, and presenting wrong doctrines, which he himself warned against.
    Silouanperson
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Why believe something just because some one said so? If the Buddha had said that flying spaghetti monster was real would they believe it? Ridiculous.

Imho if you don't see evidence for something it probably doesn't exist, believing something you have no evidence for or blind faith is moronic.
    shanyin
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    What evidence people have is personal. What one sees is not what the other sees.

Also I'm not saying people have to belief in it because the Buddha said it. Not at all. All I'm saying it is undeniable that the Buddha himself thought it was real and that IF we were to go by authority (which can just be an analysis including no belief at all), then I think it's only reasonable to take the Buddha above Alan Watt's referred "sophisticated Buddhists".

I think it's a bit strange to suggest that apparently those "sophisticated Buddhists" can see beyond and openly challenge a social construct of rebirth while that would have been totally beyond the Buddha's capacity.
    Dandelion
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Well where to start Sabre..Undeniable ? You are making a number of assumptions that preclude undeniability..You are for a start assuming that The Buddha existed, and that the words recorded 600 years after his death were actually his. You are further assuming that the translation of his words from an extinct language into Pali was accurate, and that the various translations from Pali are also accurate. You are also making a particularly big assumptive leap when you say that the Buddha could not, did not ,consciously utilise a modified social construct bent to his own ends.
    He may well have.
    To equate that with dishonesty smacks of a degree of naivety.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Rebirth does not equal reincarnation. What self can one point to that transmigrates "into" another body? I used to struggle with karma and rebirth when I first explored Buddhism, based on misunderstandings of it. Now I finally understand rebirth as an extension of dependent co-arising, non-separation, nonduality.

Paradoxically, Buddhist rebirth actually can only occur in conjunction with anatta! The Buddha I think clearly understood this. As @Sabre points out, the Buddha didn't simply pass along the same old ideas of transmigration of a non-material immortal soul into a different mortal material body, etc., etc. If anything, the Buddha's doctrine of rebirth served as a critique of such supernatural beliefs precisely because such beliefs rest on dualistic assumptions.

In that context, I now see rebirth as an integral part of my practice. What has happened in the past affects everything and what we do today affects everything-- in other words, karma (action). Understanding rebirth in light of dependent co-arising represents an acceptance of responsibility toward all beings. Rebirth doesn't revolve around "me" -- it revolves around "us" (no creature excluded) and compassion for all beings, past, present, and future.
    Dandelionkarmablueslobster
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

Well where to start Sabre..Undeniable ? You are making a number of assumptions that preclude undeniability..You are for a start assuming that The Buddha existed, and that the words recorded 600 years after his death were actually his. You are further assuming that the translation of his words from an extinct language into Pali was accurate, and that the various translations from Pali are also accurate. You are also making a particularly big assumptive leap when you say that the Buddha could not, did not ,consciously utilise a modified social construct bent to his own ends.
    He may well have.
    To equate that with dishonesty smacks of a degree of naivety.

Ok, of course, one can deny everything, so when I said "undeniable" that was a mistake. I meant reasonably undeniable based on the evidence that exists. That's no belief, but modern day historical and textual research. So much so, that here to consider that the Buddha thought it as a skillful means I would consider the "belief".

Which is fine to me if you want to belief that. But it is illustrative of my point that people who hold such views often quote modern day teachers and not the suttas. Alan Watts even does it when referring to "sophisticated Buddhists" instead of the Buddha.

Again fine by me, but I just want people to realize this.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    riverflow said:

Rebirth does not equal reincarnation. What self can one point to that transmigrates "into" another body? I used to struggle with karma and rebirth when I first explored Buddhism, based on misunderstandings of it. Now I finally understand rebirth as an extension of dependent co-arising, non-separation, nonduality.

Paradoxically, Buddhist rebirth actually can only occur in conjunction with anatta! The Buddha I think clearly understood this. As @Sabre points out, the Buddha didn't simply pass along the same old ideas of transmigration of a non-material immortal soul into a different mortal material body, etc., etc. If anything, the Buddha's doctrine of rebirth served as a critique of such supernatural beliefs precisely because such beliefs rest on dualistic assumptions.

In that context, I now see rebirth as an integral part of my practice. What has happened in the past affects everything and what we do today affects everything-- in other words, karma (action). Understanding rebirth in light of dependent co-arising represents an acceptance of responsibility toward all beings. Rebirth doesn't revolve around "me" -- it revolves around "us" (no creature excluded) and compassion for all beings, past, present, and future.

If that paradigm works for you then work it.
    It is a matter of observable fact however, that for a number of people as sincere and thoughtful as you are, who consider themselves Buddhist, the paradigm does not compute.
    I know people who have an advanced degree of understanding of the Suttas, and who are fluent in Pali to a degree that I can only dream of..and who have practised various Buddhist meditative disciplines for decades, who see that paradigm as 'sprats for mackerels.'
  • Citta said:

If that paradigm works for you then work it.
    It is a matter of observable fact however, that for a number of people as sincere and thoughtful as you are, who consider themselves Buddhist, the paradigm does not compute.
    I know people who have an advanced degree of understanding of the Suttas, and who are fluent in Pali to a degree that I can only dream of..and who have practised various Buddhist meditative disciplines for decades, who see that paradigm as 'sprats for mackerels.'

--And each has their own practice. I can only speak from my own limited understanding and experience. My responsibility lies with my own practice, just as everyone else has their own, which I acknowledge. I see no comparisons of "better" or "worse" in that regard-- even if others do (for whatever reasons). I don't see the point in that game of one-upmanship-- I can get plenty of that at my job or at the grocery store! Why would I want to continue to engage in that kind of behavior?

For all I know, my understanding may change in who knows what way in the future (as it has changed in the past two years and I continue to learn)-- but that matters little to my practice at this moment.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    _/\_
  • OK, now I'm really confused (which isn't much of an effort :D )... is this to say that rebirth is not universally accepted as a basic tenet of Buddhism? :wtf: And what the heck is the difference between rebirth and reincarnation? I never could figure that one out. :scratch:

Kind of sort of related... we have Chenrezig who vowed to not attain liberation until all beings have done so. Is he existing in an enlightened state but not liberated? I think that's how I understand it.
  • Perhaps the Buddha never existed or the recorded sermons are those of many others, the fact is that historically Buddhism originated on a specific continent amidst a certain culture and religious background. After reading works from Joseph Campbell on the mythology related to that period and then reexamining Buddhism I have thought for quite a while that the teachings actually refute the notion of a literal reincarnation or rebirth.

Though the teachings borrowed, if you will, some of the language, imagery, and ideas of the predominate beliefs of the prevailing culture of the time I see them used as expedient means in transmitting the essence of the teachings. If not they would be out of context and make no sense to those in that period. Even the mention of former lives isn’t the essence of what is actually being taught, and many of the stories of the lives of the Buddha in the Jataka tales are adaptations of pre-existing Indian folklore which are now considered part of the Pali canon.

I now tend to see rebirth psychologically as the perpetually occurring Samsara of one's mind that conditions how we experience ourselves in relation to the world around us. If liberation is obtained then that constantly occurring rebirth is ended and life is experienced quite differently, though the person wouldn't obviously disappear upon obtaining liberation and would still be subject to sickness, old age, and death. Existence isn't denied but is only temporary, and at death the person will cease to be at the desolation of all the aggregates, so it does not make sense to think when reading about the former lives of the Buddha to relate them all to one person who experienced them all.

“My foes will become nothing.
    My friends will become nothing.
    I too will become nothing.
    Likewise all will become nothing.

Just like a dream experience,
    Whatever things I enjoy
    Will become a memory.
    Whatever has passed will not be seen again.”

Shantideva -
    riverflowkarmabluesChrysalid
  • CittaCitta Veteran

OK, now I'm really confused (which isn't much of an effort :D )... is this to say that rebirth is not universally accepted as a basic tenet of Buddhism? :wtf: And what the heck is the difference between rebirth and reincarnation? I never could figure that one out. :scratch:

Kind of sort of related... we have Chenrezig who vowed to not attain liberation until all beings have done so. Is he existing in an enlightened state but not liberated? I think that's how I understand it.

All schools accept Rebirth as a basic tenet of Buddhism. but not all not individual teachers.
    And someschools, like Soto Zen ,have a large proportion of teachers who interpret rebirth as a metaphor. The well-known teacher Brad Warner is one such.
    The difference between rebirth and reincarnation revolves around atta/anatta. The atta doctrine says that a soul ( atta ) passes post mortem to another form.
    Anatta says that what passes is more in the nature of karmic momentum...the analogy that is used is that of a wave which creates the energy for the next wave and so on.
    Some use the " three lives and " one life "models.
    The 'three life' model says that the Buddha was talking literally about the last birth affecting this birth and in turn affecting the next birth.
    The 'one life' model says that the Buddha was not describing post-mortem events, he was describing the rebirth of the self-sense from moment to moment.
    Both views have their adherents. The best known advocate of the 'one life ' model in the Theravada was the famous. Ajahn Buddhadasa.
    Jainarayanriverflowkarmablues
  • Thanks. :) I think I understand. Anatta = anatma = no individual. Different than Hinduism's atman and Abrahamism's "soul", though the Abrahamics don't accept re-incarnation or re-birth. But I think I get it.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Well ok ..just to complicate things even more..some Children Of Abraham DO accept reincarnation. The Ultra-Orthodox Chassidim for example.

Also its not so much ' no individual ' . Its more 'no unchanging component.' Which a soul would be.
  • JainarayanJainarayan Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

Well ok ..just to complicate things even more..some Children Of Abraham DO accept reincarnation. The Ultra-Orthodox Chassidim for example.

Also its not so much ' no individual ' . Its more 'no unchanging component.' Which a soul would be.

I didn't know about that group of Chassidim. You learn something new every day. There are some Christians who lean towards re-incarnation. And "jiva" is closer to "individual", because it is the living essence of the being, not only the "soul".

So, I see what you're saying. :thumbup:
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    If we were talking about the Buddhist doctrine of atta..'jiva' is not a term widely utilised in Buddhism.
  • No, I haven't seen it in anything I've read so far. I used it to point out how different the concepts are. Sometimes I don't express myself well (damn Asperger's! :angry: ).
  • Well, I sure as hell don't want to come back!
    Dandelion
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    Many westerners do indeed talk with relish about coming back. Which may just point to the need for a different paradigm to get us off our bums. That one may not do it for us, simply seen as an upaya.
    CinorjerDandelion
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Granted Alan Watts, or anyone for that matter has to be considered an authority on anything, in this case in particular Buddhism.
    Alan watts is essentially an authority on the ideas of Alan Watts. :p
    I think I 'am having a hard time understanding his line of reasoning. The reasons Alan Watts gives that Buddhists believe in it seem to be different.
    Probably because his ideas are not Buddhist but rather just the "philosophy of Alan Watts" and that's it. He essentially takes various ideas from various religions, mashes them all together and says "Here is the truth!". It's almost like he invented his own religion. :lol:
  • Seems little unfair on Mr. Watts. Do we not all have to invent our own religion in the end?

lobster
  • seeker242 said:

Probably because his ideas are not Buddhist but rather just the "philosophy of Alan Watts" and that's it. He essentially takes various ideas from various religions, mashes them all together and says "Here is the truth!". It's almost like he invented his own religion. :lol:

So? He wouldn't be the first, every religion that every single person on this planet follows was at some point invented by someone else. What really matters is not who came up with an idea, but whether that idea is in concordance with reality - that's what makes something true, it has nothing to do with authority, tradition or any other kind of provenance.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited August 2013
    I think what seeker is trying to say is, that because of that Alan Watts is not the most reliable source (and certainly not authority) when it comes to Buddhism, the Buddha's teachings.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Chrysalid said:

So? He wouldn't be the first, every religion that every single person on this planet follows was at some point invented by someone else. What really matters is not who came up with an idea, but whether that idea is in concordance with reality - that's what makes something true, it has nothing to do with authority, tradition or any other kind of provenance.

It's not a big deal unless you want to talk about what Buddhism is and what it isn't, etc. If you take all the religions and merge them together, that's fine if you want but it doesn't have any relation to what the Buddha taught.
    Florian said:

Seems little unfair on Mr. Watts. Do we not all have to invent our own religion in the end?

I don't think so. I personally haven't and won't invent my own religion. I just follow what the Buddha already laid out. I don't see a need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

ThaiLotus
  • Watts, it appears, didn't know all that much about Buddhism or Zen and least of all the 12-links or the 10-links in the Mahanidana Sutta which is about rebirth. The Buddha asks Ananda if consciousness were not to come into the mother's womb would the embryo (nama-rupa) develop. Ananda says, no.

Yes, Watts was a good writer. But no Buddhist scholar like D.T. Suzuki.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Ajahn Buddhadasa was a very considerable Buddhist scholar and widely recognised as such.
    And he did not think that the Mahanidana Sutta ( or any of the other Suttas ) was about post - mortem Rebirth at all.
    He taught that it describes the process that happens in nano-seconds between sparsa/phassa and the reinforcement of the self sense.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Some intelligent debate/comments, thank you. And that's a good point @TheEccentric
  • I have much respect for Ajahn Buddhadasa. It is possible that he himself is expounding the "one life" theory of rebirth as an upaya. If so, it obviously has been a wise decision as there is indeed a sizeable Buddhist audience that is more willing to accept a wholly one life model over a model which includes post-mortem rebirth. It is more easy to observe moment-to-moment rebirth in our meditation, whereas to see post-mortem type rebirth requires extremely deep jhanic concentration which produces the "divine eye" where one can recollect one's own rebirths and see the future births of others in the same way that on the night of his enlightenment, the Buddha acquired three varieties of knowledge and the first of these was the detailed knowledge of his past lives.

In the Theravada tradition, rebirth is seen to operate at both the life-after-life stage and at the micro moment-to-moment stage, the latter being explained in the Abhidhama Pitaka of the Pali Canon. Thus in the Visuddhimagga (ancient Pali commentarial literature), it is said:
    In the ultimate sense the moment of a being's life is extremely short, being only as much as the occurrence of a single thought [conscious moment]. Just as a chariot wheel, when it is rolling, rolls [that is, touches the ground] only on one point of [the circumference of] its tire, and, when it is at rest, rests only on one point, so too, the life of living beings lasts only for a single thought. When that thought has ceased, the being has ceased....

“Life, person, pleasure, pain—just these alone
    Join in one thought that flicks by.
    The aggregates of one who dies or of one who remains
    Are all alike, gone never to return.
    Without the occurrence of thought
    The world is not born
    With its arising it lives, with its passing it dies
    This is understanding in the ultimate sense.”

This is how death should be recollected as to the shortness of the moment.

Now, here is how the moment-to-moment theory of rebirth connects to the post-mortem theory to form a single theory encompassing both, as explained by Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda, a trusted disciple of Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw:
    Actually, disappearing of one moment and arising of another moment go on even when we are living. According to the teachings of the Buddha, we are being reborn and dying at every moment of our lives. When I talk I say words and you hear the words. And words disappear very quickly and your listening to the words also comes and goes very quickly. So at every moment there is a new pair of mind and matter arising and then disappearing immediately. In the next moment there is a new pair of mind and matter arising and then disappearing. It goes on and on like that even when we are living. So if you can understand that even in our lives one moment of mind and matter follows another moment of mind and matter without any interruption or any time-gap between the two, we can understand this life and the next life.

Actually, this life and the next life are different only by one moment. At the moment of death, we call [it] this life. At the next moment which comes immediately, we call it the new life or next life. That is, because we use the terms conventionally. So actually the death in one life and rebirth in another are just the same as one moment following another moment during life-time. Now, one second after twelve midnight of the 31st of December, we call it a new day, a new month, a new year. But in fact there is just one second's difference between the old year and the new year. And actually we cannot say that the previous moment is the old year and the next moment is the new year. But we agree to call it the old year, and the next one, the new year, and then we say we are in the new year, but actually we are only one second away from midnight.

In the same way, when beings are reborn after death in one life, they are just one moment after death. So the arising and disappearing of mind and matter go on and on until one becomes an Arahant or a Buddha and one dies. Until that moment, this arising and disappearing of mind and matter will go on and on incessantly.

In the following excerpt, Ven. Ashin Ottama explains how the main characteristics of moment-to-moment rebirth are the same as life-after-life rebirth:
    The process of repeated birth and death is analogous to the constant arising and passing away of mind-moments that occurs continuously within a single life. The striking similarities between the two are clear not merely to theoretical reflection, but especially through actual experience in the advanced stages of vipassana meditation. The notion of “self,” being mind made, can of course arise only within these “popping up” mind-moments, but has no referent apart from them. Thus the arising and passing away of the mind can be experienced—under the magnifying lens of strong concentration—as a quick succession of real births, lives, and deaths...

At the macro-level, i.e. in the succession of lifetimes, as well as at the micro-level, i.e. in the succession of moments, the main features of the process are virtually the same. At both levels:

There is the resultant side (vipaka) and the active side (kamma, javana)

There is no lasting entity—no “I” or soul—underlying the process

Nothing transmigrates from the preceding stage to the following stage

The only link connecting the successive events is the law of cause and effect.

Jeffrey
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Ajahn Buddhadasa makes it clear that he considers the idea of post-mortem Rebirth to be a basic misunderstanding of the nature of time..a mistaken view that sees linear time as having objective existence..in other words a mistaken view that sees time as the field in which D.O. arises.
    He sees time as arising dependently with all other phenomena. Therefore all birth and all being is actually simultaneous..it is our conditioned response to that which gives the illusion of seperate lives unfolding successively.
    The reality is that the Unborn and Unmade and Undying is always the case.
    The purpose of Dharma/Dhamma is to recognise what is always the case. All gradualism or process is inviable because it posits time as field and ground.
    riverflow
  • Wow. Great discussion.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2013
    Blondel said:

Watts, it appears, didn't know all that much about Buddhism or Zen and least of all the 12-links or the 10-links in the Mahanidana Sutta which is about rebirth. The Buddha asks Ananda if consciousness were not to come into the mother's womb would the embryo (nama-rupa) develop. Ananda says, no.

And Ananda was wrong. You do know that, don't you? This isn't opinion. There are known medical facts that can't be argued. Fetal development does not require "consciousness". We know that now, with modern medical knowledge. The old monks did the best they could, but don't look them as experts on biology. The old men thousands of years ago had no clue how or why that fetus developed.

I know it's fashionable now to point out Watt's shortcomings, especially since conservative cultural Buddhism from Tibet has taken over as the most popular practice, from the Zen of Watts and Suzuki. Yes, sometimes he let his enthusiasm get ahead of his understanding. The Zen he describes is also heavily idealized.

• Cinorjer said:

Blondel said:

Watts, it appears, didn't know all that much about Buddhism or Zen and least of all the 12-links or the 10-links in the Mahanidana Sutta which is about rebirth. The Buddha asks Ananda if consciousness were not to come into the mother's womb would the embryo (nama-rupa) develop. Ananda says, no.

And Ananda was wrong. You do know that, don't you? This isn't opinion. There are known medical facts that can't be argued. Fetal development does not require "consciousness". We know that now, with modern medical knowledge. The old monks did the best they could, but don't look them as experts on biology. The old men thousands of years ago had no clue how or why that fetus developed.

I know it's fashionable now to point out Watt's shortcomings, especially since conservative cultural Buddhism from Tibet has taken over as the most popular practice, from the Zen of Watts and Suzuki. Yes, sometimes he let his enthusiasm get ahead of his understanding. The Zen he describes is also heavily idealized.

Medicine does not speak for either consciousness (vijnana) or mind (citta). It's focus is the the anatomical organs and their systems including pathology. Are you familiar with the consciousness and cognitive neuroscience debates? If not, might I suggest that you get up to running speed by purchasing the book Irreducible Mind.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    @Blondel if we assume a model of consciousness based on the theories prevalent in the ancient world we have to further assume that when we perform actions which would not have been possible for the ancients , like creating an embryo in a test tube, that somehow consciousness enters that embryo which is not intrinsic to it...
    And that if the embryo ( which actually at that point is simply a collection of cells ) is stopped from developing the consciousness goes elsewhere.
    Its not a viable concept in view of our present knowledge.
    Consciousness is a function of our biology.
    In the kandhas/skandhas model vijnana, rupa and citta arise in co-dependence.
  • Citta said:

@Blondel if we assume a model of consciousness based on the theories prevalent in the ancient world we have to further assume that when we perform actions which would not have been possible for the ancients , like creating an embryo in a test tube, that somehow consciousness enters that embryo which is not intrinsic to it...
    And that if the embryo ( which actually at that point is simply a collection of cells ) is stopped from developing the consciousness goes elsewhere.
    Its not a viable concept in view of our present knowledge.
    Consciousness is a function of our biology.
    In the kandhas/skandhas model vijnana, rupa and citta arise in co-dependence.

First let me say that "models of consciousness" is part of modern neuroscience jargon. In ancient times the idea of "models of consciousness" did not exist. It is an anachronism to insist such did.

I find the various discourses of the Buddha on this particular subject to be viable, in particular, that it is consciousness (vijnana) that is the transmigrant.

Turning to the west, scientific materialism, that matter is the only reality, has essentially ignored consciousness. Daniel Dennett, in his book Consciousness Explained went so far as to agrue that subjective, first person, experience is illusory. Such materialism denies the reality of our very own minds, not to mention our personal experiences. Others, like Paul Churchland believe there is no more to our mind that what occurs in the brain. Such materialism has only one word for consciousness, it's an illusion.
  • @blondel I have kept current on what is available from the internet and library on neuroscience and cutting edge theory, as well as the usual speculation about parapsychology and NDE and such. There really isn't any serious debate going on.

I actually tried to read "Irreducable Mind" some years ago soon after it came out and there was a bit of buzz about it in the paranormal sites. I had to give it up after a few chapters because I kept wanting to throw the book at the wall. I kept reading the completely untrue statements repeated as if nobody could possibly disagree, that something couldn't be coincidence because the odds were against it. Also I get itchy when I'm told by any author or speaker that "someone with an open mind would not question (whatever) because "there was a wealth of evidence".

So in the 5 or 6 years since the publication of a book that was supposed to prove the mind and brain are separate, independent things, all the research continues to point to the mind and brain being completely inseperable and dependent. But, I don't expect you to be convinced by my more skeptical attitude. I have friends who happily recount their out of body experiences and I'm glad they have something that excites them. I find the experiences fascinating. Do I believe they floated free of their body? I believe they believe.

• karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited August 2013
    [deleted]
    riverflow
    edited August 2013
    Citta said:

Ajahn Buddhadasa makes it clear that he considers the idea of post-mortem Rebirth to be a basic misunderstanding of the nature of time..a mistaken view that sees linear time as having objective existence..in other words a mistaken view that sees time as the field in which D.O. arises.
    He sees time as arising dependently with all other phenomena. Therefore all birth and all being is actually simultaneous..it is our conditioned response to that which gives the illusion of seperate lives unfolding successively.
    The purpose of Dharma/Dhamma is to recognise what is always the case. All gradualism or process is inviable because it posits time as field and ground.

The idea of post-mortem rebirth is only untenable in the sense of ultimate reality where time is non-linear, has no objective existence and is co-dependently arisen. However, if one were speaking about post-mortem rebirth in the sense of conventional truth, there is nothing wrong with that because in conventional truth there is existence of linear time.

The Buddha himself made clear in the Digha-Nikaya that when he uses the concept of past, present and future with respect to existence that is merely as conventional usage and not as an expression of truth in the ultimate sense:
    If, now, any one should ask: "Have you been in the past, and is it untrue that you have not been? Will you be in the future, and is it untrue that you will not be? Are you now, and is it untrue that you are not?" - you may reply that you have been in the past, and it is untrue that you have not been; that you will be in the future, and it is untrue that you will not be; that you are, and it is untrue that you are not.

In the past only the past existence was real, but unreal the future and present existence. In the future only the future existence will be real, but unreal the past and present existence. Now only the present existence is real, but unreal the past and future existence.

For, just as from the cow comes milk, from milk curd, from curd butter, from butter ghee, from ghee the scum of ghee; and when it is milk, it is not counted as curd, or butter, or ghee, or scum of ghee, but only as milk; and when it is curd, it is only counted as curd - just so was my past existence at that time real, but unreal the future and present existence; and my future existence will be at one time real, but unreal the past and present existence; and my present existence is now real, but unreal the past and future existence. All these are merely popular designations and expressions, mere conventional terms of speaking, mere popular notions. The Perfect One, indeed, makes use of these, without, however, clinging to them.
    In his seminal work, Siddhartha, I think Hermann Hesse provides a good illustrative simile to expressing time as non-linear and dependently co-arisen as well as how the process of life-after-life rebirth can be expressed in the sense of ultimate truth:
    "Yes, Siddhartha," he spoke. "It is this what you mean, isn't it: that [time is like] the river [which] is everywhere at once, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the rapids, in the sea, in the mountains, everywhere at once, and that there is only the present time for it, not the shadow of the past, not the shadow of the future?"

"This it is," said Siddhartha. "And when I had learned it, I looked at my life, and it was also a river, and the boy Siddhartha was only separated from the man Siddhartha and from the old man Siddhartha by a shadow, not by something real. Also, Siddhartha's previous births were no past, and his death and his return to Brahma was no future. Nothing was, nothing will be; everything is, everything has existence [in the] present."
    The Dalai Lama who teaches life-after-life rebirth as a conventional truth, does understand that in the ultimate sense, there is no such thing as past or future consciousness, only present consciousness:
    That time is a relative phenomenon and can claim no independent status is quite clear; I often give the example of external objects which can be easily conceived of in terms of the past or future, but of which the very present seems inconceivable. We can divide time into centuries, decades, years, days, hours, minutes, and seconds. But as the second is also divisible into multiple parts, milliseconds for example, we can easily lose our grasp of the notion of present time!

As for consciousness, it has neither past nor future and knows only present moments; it is the continuum of a present moment being transformed into another present moment, whereas with external objects the present disappears in favour of notions of past and future. But further pursuit of this logic will lead to absurdity, because to situate past and future we need a frame of reference which, in this case, is the present, and we have just lost its trace in fractions of milliseconds.
    Therefore, the fact that in ultimate reality time is non-linear, has no independent existence and is co-dependently arisen does not mean we can't speak about life-after-life rebirth as a succession of lives within the context of linear time as an expression within the realm of conventional truth.

Now to go back to the quote of Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda from my previous comment, he in fact tries to illustrate the fact that when one speaks about a succession of lives, this is only an expression of conventional reality:
    At the moment of death, we call [it] this life. At the next moment which comes immediately, we call it the new life or next life. That is, because we use the terms conventionally. So actually the death in one life and rebirth in another are just the same as one moment following another moment during life-time.
    Basically, if you carefully read the entire quote of Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda in my previous comment, you will see that what he is trying to say is basically the same as what the Dalai Lama says, that is, ultimately "[consciousness] has neither past nor future and knows only present moments; it is the continuum of a present moment being transformed into another present moment."
  • Cinorjer said:

@blondel I have kept current on what is available from the internet and library on neuroscience and cutting edge theory, as well as the usual speculation about parapsychology and NDE and such. There really isn't any serious debate going on.

I actually tried to read "Irreducable Mind" some years ago soon after it came out and there was a bit of buzz about it in the paranormal sites. I had to give it up after a few chapters because I kept wanting to throw the book at the wall. I kept reading the completely untrue statements repeated as if nobody could possibly disagree, that something couldn't be coincidence because the odds were against it. Also I get itchy when I'm told by any author or speaker that "someone with an open mind would not question (whatever) because "there was a wealth of evidence".

So in the 5 or 6 years since the publication of a book that was supposed to prove the mind and brain are separate, independent things, all the research continues to point to the mind and brain being completely inseperable and dependent. But, I don't expect you to be convinced by my more skeptical attitude. I have friends who happily recount their out of body experiences and I'm glad they have something that excites them. I find the experiences fascinating. Do I believe they floated free of their body? I believe they believe.

The major problem neuroscience is always facing is with correlation and identity. The assumption that mental processes and their correlated brain functions are equivalent has never been proven, and perhaps never will. Nor will neuroscience likely create biological matter so it will produce consciousness; moreover, there exists no consciousness detector. Perhaps Bishop Berkeley's dictum, "esse est percipi"(to be is to be perceived) is true!
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited August 2013

Citta said:

The idea of post-mortem rebirth is only untenable in the sense of ultimate reality where time is non-linear, has no objective existence and is co-dependently arisen. However, if one were speaking about post-mortem rebirth in the sense of conventional truth, there is nothing wrong with that because in conventional truth there is existence of linear time.

The Buddha himself made clear in the Digha-Nikaya that when he uses the concept of past, present and future with respect to existence that is merely as conventional usage and not as an expression of truth in the ultimate sense:
    If, now, any one should ask: "Have you been in the past, and is it untrue that you have not been? Will you be in the future, and is it untrue that you will not be? Are you now, and is it untrue that you are not?" - you may reply that you have been in the past, and it is untrue that you have not been; that you will be in the future, and it is untrue that you will not be; that you are, and it is untrue that you are not.

In the past only the past existence was real, but unreal the future and present existence. In the future only the future existence will be real, but unreal the past and present existence. Now only the present existence is real, but unreal the past and future existence.

For, just as from the cow comes milk, from milk curd, from curd butter, from butter ghee, from ghee the scum of ghee; and when it is milk, it is not counted as curd, or butter, or ghee, or scum of ghee, but only as milk; and when it is curd, it is only counted as curd - just so was my past existence at that time real, but unreal the future and present existence; and my future existence will be at one time real, but unreal the past and present existence; and my present existence is now real, but unreal the past and future existence. All these are merely popular designations and expressions, mere conventional terms of speaking, mere popular notions. The Perfect One, indeed, makes use of these, without, however, clinging to them.
    In his seminal work, Siddhartha, I think Hermann Hesse provides a good illustrative simile to expressing time as non-linear and dependently co-arisen as well as how the process of life-after-life rebirth can be expressed in the sense of ultimate truth:
    "Yes, Siddhartha," he spoke. "It is this what you mean, isn't it: that [time is like] the river [which] is everywhere at once, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the rapids, in the sea, in the mountains, everywhere at once, and that there is only the present time for it, not the shadow of the past, not the shadow of the future?"

"This it is," said Siddhartha. "And when I had learned it, I looked at my life, and it was also a river, and the boy Siddhartha was only separated from the man Siddhartha and from the old man Siddhartha by a shadow, not by something real. Also, Siddhartha's previous births were no past, and his death and his return to Brahma was no future. Nothing was, nothing will be; everything is, everything has existence [in the] present."
    The Dalai Lama who teaches life-after-life rebirth as a conventional truth, does understand that in the ultimate sense, there is no such thing as past or future consciousness, only present consciousness:
    That time is a relative phenomenon and can claim no independent status is quite clear; I often give the example of external objects which can be easily conceived of in terms of the past or future, but of which the very present seems inconceivable. We can divide time into centuries, decades, years, days, hours, minutes, and seconds. But as the second is also divisible into multiple parts, milliseconds for example, we can easily lose our grasp of the notion of present time!

As for consciousness, it has neither past nor future and knows only present moments; it is the continuum of a present moment being transformed into another present moment, whereas with external objects the present disappears in favour of notions of past and future. But further pursuit of this logic will lead to absurdity, because to situate past and future we need a frame of reference which, in this case, is the present, and we have just lost its trace in fractions of milliseconds.
    Therefore, the fact that in ultimate reality time is non-linear, has no independent existence and is co-dependently arisen does not mean we can't speak about life-after-life rebirth as a succession of lives within the context of linear time as an expression within the realm of conventional truth.

Now to go back to the quote of Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda from my previous comment, he in fact tries to illustrate the fact that when one speaks about a succession of lives, this is only an expression of conventional reality:
    At the moment of death, we call [it] this life. At the next moment which comes immediately, we call it the new life or next life. That is, because we use the terms conventionally. So actually the death in one life and rebirth in another are just the same as one moment following another moment during life-time.
    Basically, if you carefully read the entire quote of Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda in my previous comment, you will see that what he is trying to say is basically the same as what the Dalai Lama says, that is, ultimately "[consciousness] has neither past nor future and knows only present moments; it is the continuum of a present moment being transformed into another present moment."

There are not two realities.
    Conventional reality is posited on illusion. And is therefore not reality.
    The object of Dharma/Dhamma is to remove that illusion. This does not happen as a process, because a process is by definition posited on the same illusion.
    The removal of the illusion happens by an absence of doing.
    It happens by not perpetuating it.
    The illusion ( that time is linear and that we can make progress ) arises with avidya and is reinforced by D.O. This takes no 'time'. Time is concomitant with it in its arising
    The house of self is dismantled not by an act of will or by mental exercises, but by seeing clearly that we are creating it over and over.
    The conventions of a series of lives, or even of one life, are posited on projections.
    There is only the Unmade, Unborn, Unmanufactured.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The smallest ripple in a pond these eyes have never seen and instantly, I am reborn.
    riverflow
  • The only difference is buddhists dont believe in a permanent soul.
    -Ajahn Brahm.

OK, now I'm really confused (which isn't much of an effort :D )... is this to say that rebirth is not universally accepted as a basic tenet of Buddhism? :wtf: And what the heck is the difference between rebirth and reincarnation? I never could figure that one out. :scratch:

• CittaCitta Veteran
    hermitwin said:

The only difference is buddhists dont believe in a permanent soul.
    -Ajahn Brahm.

Which kinda makes the only difference a considerable difference doesn't it ?
    edited August 2013
    Citta,

My main point was simply this. When teachers such as Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda or the Dalai Lama speak of life-after-life rebirth, it does not mean that these people believe that time is linear and exists independently. The quotes I highlighted in my previous comment shows that. So although rebirth can be spoken of at the level of conventional language as happening as a succession of lives, if we examine it from the aspect of ultimate truth then we would have to say that what happens is simply, in the Dalai Lama's words, the continuum of a present moment being transformed into another present moment and in this sense of the ultimate truth, we cannot speak of a past consciousness or past life nor a future consciousness or future rebirth.
    Citta
    edited August 2013
    Some material that shows Alan Watts eventually believed in reincarnation.

From "The Reality of Reincarnation" which Alan Watts wrote in the final years of his life:
    When I am dead I will be (or 'it" will be) just as I was before I was born. In both states, after death and before birth, it is as if I - and all else - had never been at all. Most people, again, shrug their shoulders and say, "We come from nothing and we return to nothing-and that's the end of it." But I demur. For it strikes me as utterly amazing that I did in fact come from this nothing. If I came from it once, I see no reason why I could not come from it again; for if, as is indeed the case, I did come from it once, this nothingness is, to say the least, unexplainably frisky.

From highexistence.com, a contributor transcribes a talk by Alan Watts as follows:
    Consider the time before you were born. Obviously, you can’t remember it for there is nothing to remember. There wasn’t anything, it was nothingness. Now, out of this nothingness came something: life, you, consciousness, this universe, etc. Consider now death. When you die, the most rational conclusion would be that you cease to exist. Once again, there is nothingness. Now, wouldn’t it it make sense for if you sprang out of nothingness, you would do so if you “entered” nothingness again? I believe so, and if that is what happens when you die (nothingness), and life proceeds nothingness, then reincarnation is real.

From "Zen Effects: The Life of Alan Watts", by Monica Furlong who was encouraged by Joan Watts (Alan Watts' daughter) to write the full length biography and was provided information by his family and close friends:
    In the last year of Watts's life, his daughter Joan had told him of her unfulfilled wish to conceive another child.

"After I'm dead," Watts told her, "I'm coming back as your child. Next time round I'm going to be a beautiful red-haired woman." He had written in Cloud-hidden, Whereabouts Unknown of the "completely rational" belief in reincarnation that he held. He thought that the energy that had made him in the first place was bound to do it again in some other form. "After I die I will again awake as a baby."

Joan was not sure how lighthearted he was being in his promise to return as her child, but not long after his death she did conceive and eventually gave birth to a very pretty red-haired daughter, Laura, whose character sometimes reminded Joan of her father. Once, when Laura was a tiny girl, she and Joan visited a friend's house, and Laura went to the cupboard where the liquor was kept, pushed a number of bottles out of the way, reached in, and removed a bottle of vodka from the back of the cupboard. Joan laughs as she tells this story, neither quite believing nor disbelieving her father's promise. [my comment: Alan Watts liked drinking vodka very much]
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Citta,

My main point was simply this. When teachers such as Ven. Sayadaw U Silananda or the Dalai Lama speak of life-after-life rebirth, it does not mean that these people believe that time is linear and exists independently. The quotes I highlighted in my previous comment shows that. So although rebirth can be spoken of at the level of conventional language as happening as a succession of lives, if we examine it from the aspect of ultimate truth then we would have to say that what happens is simply, in the Dalai Lama's words, the continuum of a present moment being transformed into another present moment and in this sense of the ultimate truth, we cannot speak of a past consciousness or past life nor a future consciousness or future rebirth.

Sadhu !