Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"How to See Yourself As You Really Are - Discovering the source of problems" - Dalai Lama

I've been reading this book on and off for the last 3 years. It's very good but one of those that I at least need to read over and over. Could anyone help me?

"Discovering the source of problems" - misconceptions about inherent existence I think - does this mean e.g. to see a chair as simply something to sit on or a collection of parts and not "I own this chair and it is superior to most other chairs"

Comments

• mindatriskmindatrisk Veteran
    edited October 2013
    This seems to be a discussion on emptiness. So, where is the chair? If you take it's legs away is it still a chair? If you then take it's back rest away is it still a chair? If you then take it's seat away is it still a chair? A better example would be to do this reductionist approach on yourself... Where are you? If you take away your legs are you still you? If you take away your arms are you still you? And so on. Would your brain in a vat still be you? Would your consciousness transferred to a hard-drive still be you? If you took your memories away would you still be you? And so on. The basic idea is that you do not exist in the way that you perceive yourself to exist. So, if you don't exist, what is it that is suffering?
    poptart
  • I like to use a bowl as an illustration. Hold a bowl in your hands. What is it that makes this a "bowl" in our minds? What qualities define its bowlness? What does this object have that other objects do not that make this a bowl and the other object a cup or glass or whatever? Is it the shape? Is it the function? Who or what determines the function? Now drop and break the bowl. Gather the pieces into a pile. Is this still a bowl, only now in pieces? And so on.

It is an interesting exercise in emptiness and form. Ultimately, our labels we assign to the world and ourselves are empty. There is nothing we can point to and say, "This is the unique element that makes this particular object a bowl." Everything is empty of intrinsic or inherent values when looked at this way.

But the bowl exists. This thing in front of me is a bowl, because my mind sees form and function as related and this object holds some nuts in its emptiness in this case. So form also exists.

Emptiness and form. Welcome to wisdom.

Now look in a mirror and apply this thinking to your self. What qualities make up what you call your mind...
    poptart
  • :clap:

good answers guys . . .
    . . . most of us would agree we are a person - conscious. If we look for the part that is independent of the parts . . . we can not find a self independent of the parts. We are inherently empty.
    In a similar way enlightenment does not come or go, arise or die, you could say it is present. What is it dependent on? It is independent of dependencies. Dependent on nothing.

Must be time to sit down . . .
    :orange:
    poptartZenshin
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited October 2013
    my theoretical understanding says-

Dogen said - moon in water analogy - moon is not in water, but also moon is in water.

Heart Sutra says - form is emptiness and emptiness is form.

we exist, but not in the way we think we exist.

everything is both independent and interdependent on everything else simultaneously.

Hsin Hsin Ming says -to deny the reality of things is to miss its deeper reality. to assert the reality of things is to miss its emptiness. the more you think about it, the further you are from truth. cease all thinking and there is nothing that will not be revealed to you.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited October 2013
    @futurenet

Misconceptions about "things" ie. sunyata aka emptiness.

"What" or "Who" hears? "What" is heard?

There is only the process of hearing. What actually hears? Where is the hearer located? Is it the eardrum, ear ossicles, cochlea, auditory nerve or brain? Yet without these parts there is no hearer or heard. What is "heard" is nothing but vibrations. The "hearer" is an activity, not an entity.

Where is the ear?(anatta) without its parts (the eardrum, ear ossicles, cochlea, auditory nerve or brain)
    Why now do you assume 'a being'?
    Mara, have you grasped a view?
    This is a heap of sheer constructions:
    Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
    The word 'chariot' is used,
    So, when the aggregates are present,
    There's the convention 'a being.'

It's only suffering that comes to be,
    Suffering that stands and falls away.
    Nothing but suffering comes to be,
    Nothing but suffering ceases.
    Vajira Sutta
  • thanks and appreciated. I really want to get this but still feel like you guys have a much deeper understanding. Any chance we could take smaller steps?
  • I'm not being awkward here but I want find a point where you guys can stop me and say this is how it is and I'll understand ... if the chair no longer functions as a chair or no longer resembles a chair then it would no longer serve any useful purpose to call it a chair. Please bare with me until the penny drops.
  • I'm not being awkward here but I want find a point where you guys can stop me and say this is how it is and I'll understand ... if the chair no longer functions as a chair or no longer resembles a chair then it would no longer serve any useful purpose to call it a chair. Please bare with me until the penny drops.
  • My teachers teacher says that it is easy to refute emptiness on a surface level. You could just make definitions such as four legs and 'can sit on'. The actual non-self is when your chair falls apart and you no longer have it. Then emotionally you are attached. With a chair it's less of a loss than something sentimental or the body or mind or whatever. All the pain in samsara such as developing a physical or mental disease. So at a deeper level we are attached to something that has a distinct relationship to all other things. That's an important point. The chair is not devoid of a relationship to other things. It is exactly all of the relationships that make it empty. It's not anything from it's own side. The characteristics include things such as sitting on or color or whatever.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    It took me a while to understand the concept of Emptiness too, @futurenets. It's not saying nothing exists, but it's saying that nothing exists independent of a conceptual mind.

If I was to say point at the chair, you may point at the back of the chair, but that's not the chair is it? You might point at a chair leg, but that's still not the chair is it?

You might say, "Ah, but all these different parts is the chair!", so we could call each of these parts a 'non-chair part' (because each of the parts is not the chair), but a collection of coins is coins and a collection of sheep is sheep, so how can a collection of non-chair parts be a chair?

I personally found it easier to understand that there was no inherent self. You could Google for a meditation on the emptiness of self and just follow it. You'll go looking for yourself in an analytical meditation and it's quite funny when you can't find yourself. The first time I did this I narrowed myself down to my memories and then realised that memories can't be trusted; so how can I be something that isn't really real? I found it funny.

Mine is only a superficial understanding though; we start with the concept and then deepen the understanding with meditation.
  • I wouldn't be too concerned with this subject if you are at all new to Buddhism. This is the very deep end. We're explaining to you what has been explained to us, but i'd be surprised if anyone here has realised emptiness. If you're interested then work on it, but be patient with yourself. If, however, you are looking for ways to relieve your own suffering then there are many simpler practices that will aid you in the mean time.
  • My presentation more resembles cittamatra rather than shravaka (emptiness of skhandas).
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I'm not being awkward here but I want find a point where you guys can stop me and say this is how it is and I'll understand ... if the chair no longer functions as a chair or no longer resembles a chair then it would no longer serve any useful purpose to call it a chair. Please bare with me until the penny drops.

It isn't that the chair no longer resembles a chair or functions as a chair, it's that "chair" is just a label for a manifestation of something beyond labels. That may not sound right but it's really about duality.

Perceiving a dualistic world is how we are described as being self aware. This is our greatest blessing and our biggest source of suffering. A chair doesn't know it's a chair because it has no brain. As far as the chair is aware, it is still a tree or a seed or a prior tree... Maybe the entire universe. A chair doesn't suffer the delusions of self so any label we apply could not possibly truly describe its essence.

Absolutely, it's the same when we examine the self we claim to be aware of when we see separation... We call ourselves self aware but we are only kidding ourselves because we are only looking from inside the box.

And the box is temporary.

This doesn't mean we should forego labels because duality doesn't have to be a trick, it can be turned into a tool of exploration. Only you can see us from your own unique perspective and so we have quite a lot to offer each other.

There is a Zen saying that goes;

Before enlightenment, rivers were rivers and mountains were mountains;
    During enlightenment, rivers are no longer rivers and mountains are no longer mountains;
    After enlightenment, rivers are once again rivers and mountains are once again mountains.

• thanks. this way of thinking doesn't come easy to me but feels so fundamental that I feel I must persevere. I'm am engineer and tend to look for practical explanations which may not help ... "It is exactly all of the relationships that make it empty" ... so because ultimately everything is a complex web of interrelatedness then it cannot exist in it's own right - this is emptiness? - at this level it's unclear where the chair starts and ends? (At a molecular level length is very hard to measure because of this).
    Jeffreyriverflow
  • As an engineer, you can see reality as an equation. If we fill a bowl with water, we obviously can say it's full of water. But Buddhism says everything is inherently empty, so that's not a complete statement. Pour the water on the ground and the bowl is empty. Empty of what? It's empty of water, of course, but now it's full of air so emptiness is subjective.

I suppose in the Western language we'd say the reality you experience depends on your point of view.
  • @futurenets, what you say is the right direction imho. I'm just trying to sort this out too. Take all our explanations with a grain of salt.
  • The Thing is; dont get caught up in it all too much.
    I mean, what does it matter if a chair is really a chair? Or If its 'real' or not..

The fact remains we give things 'names' so that we can use, 'relate' and communicate with each other and everything else etc...

I havent been on here for awhile now Because i realised something a while back, and that was; "nothing really matters but the 'now'.. And right 'now' i am sitting on a 'chair', i am typing on my 'phone', and ill be soon eating my 'dinner' on a 'plate' with a knife and fork..

Now if all these things do or do not really 'exist', i dont really care, because what difference does it make?

You are gonna die one day, so just enjoy life and try not ask too many questions. Remember; "to seek is to suffer"

The 'seeking' mind hurts us... The 'still' mind enlightens us!
    VastmindCinorjerpoptart
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2013
    Seeking is the nature of mind. We suffer because we sense the possibility of enlightenment. In that sentence I am not contradicting you, zenmyste. I am just saying the wish for happiness is fundamental to mind. It's neither good nor bad to seek.

Here is what my lama said about 'feelings'.
    It is important to notice how much we focus on feeling and always want good feelings. We want the bad feelings to stop and the good ones to go on for as long as possible. This means we are constantly fidgeting about trying to feel good and avoid feeling bad. As long as we can do that we don’t think too much about the bad feelings. It is when we are trapped in difficult situations where we cannot avoid the bad feelings that we really notice suffering and really have to deal with it. Deciding to sit in meditation for a long time is helpful in the sense that we are more likely to notice bad feelings when they arise because we cannot always immediately distract ourselves……….however, often, even in meditation that is exactly what we try to do anyway………

You may be wondering why I am calling feelings good and bad. When we talk about the feelings in the skandhas we are talking about the feelings of liking and disliking. The sensation or perception or thought that gave rise to liking or disliking is not in itself good or bad. But when we dislike it we call it a bad feeling and try to escape it or call it good and try to prolong it. A lot of the time we feel more or less neutral to our experiences because we are not paying much attention to them. As soon as we do we always have a slight bias towards or against them.

In order to arrive at dispassion we have to let go of the heavy-handed bias towards either liking or disliking. However this does not mean that we let go of feeling altogether. We might try to do that but all we could succeed in doing would be to dislike feelings and use some mechanism to try to dull them out. If one liked that state one would still be attached to feeling. There is no way out of it really.

Letting go of the feeling skandha is a subtle process and the end result would be that we could still move away from the stimulus that produced the painful or unpleasant feeling if that were an option. However, if we had no option we could experience the stimulus with dispassion which is in fact not suffering. Not suffering means that awareness is blissful in itself regardless of the stimulus. This is dispassion. As you say, it is a very different kind of feeling. You are right there.

Even if we don’t manage to let go of all clinging like this, to let go just a little already feels more pleasant. When we do not judge too heavily when we experience something as unpleasant, we can lighten up and not mind things, then in general we can go through life with a more or less cheerful attitude. For most of us, for most of the time this works quite well and certainly improves the quality of our life even if it doesn’t really liberate us from samsara.

How does this relate to Sensitivity? Sensitivity, responsiveness, a sense of goodness – that is actually the true nature of our being. It is always with us and is what we are referring to when we say ‘awareness is blissful in itself’. It is non-conditioned and so does not change. It is present in all experiences whether we like them or not. So on the one side we have to let go of clinging to or judging our feelings as somehow inherently good or bad and on the other side we need to really experience our feelings as fully and accurately as we can in all their depth and variety. We can learn to appreciate all feelings and sensations and by not getting heavy handed in judging them and trying to push them around they open up and we experience them as sensitivity which can respond to ourselves and others with love and compassion…………and that spontaneous activity is non-conditioned bliss.

Does that make sense?
  • And of course, we can get caught up in mind games, as pointed out @zenmyste So in Zen we bring people back to earth by focusing on the immediate experience without commenting. In the end, a tree is a tree and a bowl is a bowl. A bowl of soup can feed you but a bowl of air cannot. What else is there to know?
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    "Discovering the source of problems" - misconceptions about inherent existence?

A misconception of the reality is just the manipulation of our sense gate data. Meditation is simply the practice of trying not do that.
    Invincible_summerriverflow
  • Another bit on seeking:
    At the heart of reality is a hidden truth which is reflected within each one of us but unrealized. To realize this truth takes courage, persistence, and training. It changes our world and ourselves eventually igniting the fire of vision, love, and creative power. This truth is not an affair of the intellect but a living presence that lays a demand for its fulfillment on the totality of our being. The quest for it having begun we can never give it up or rather it never gives us up.
    AHS sangha liturgy
    edited October 2013
    my theoretical understanding till now says: trying to theoretically understand and analyze anatta and sunyata will only lead to headache, not to clarity. even if some how we do get an idea of anatta and sunyata theoretically, then also it will be something which we have 'understood' as a knowledge, not have 'known' as wisdom - so finally it does not help too much, because the mind has not known these by itself, so when any situation arises which does not make us feel comfortable, the mind becomes agitated to get it back to a state which is comfortable for it - so the delusion continues. thinking about it does not help much and the deeper questions cannot be figured out by thinking. so relax. truth is there, but it cannot be grasped, because the moment it is grasped, it no longer remains truth, but a belief, which is just a thought.

Hsin Hsin Ming has a beautiful line in it, which says - do not seek truth, only cease to cherish opinions.

now the question arises how to know truth - for that Dogen said - just sit - meaning just sit and do not do anything else, let the mind become calm on its own and when the mind will be calm, insights will arise in it and then knowing will happen.

metta to you and all sentient beings.
  • these are great responses but I'm confused. Should I conclude that "misconceptions about inherent existence" and "emptiness" cannot defined ?
  • edited October 2013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Śūnyatā

Śūnyatā (emptiness) ... the absence of inherent essence in all phenomena.
  • http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100419035758AAKsnWN

inherent existence ... that I somehow am independent of the beings that coexist with me
  • http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100419035758AAKsnWN

inherent existence ... that I somehow am independent of the beings that coexist with me
  • therefore can I conclude that nothing exists independently?
    riverflow
    edited October 2013

these are great responses but I'm confused. Should I conclude that "misconceptions about inherent existence" and "emptiness" cannot defined ?

lets take it this way. if you theoretically understand and analyzed what anatta(not-mine) and sunyata(emptiness) are, what difference is it going to make to you? these are not concepts, whose understanding removes ignorance - but these are things, which shall be known directly by the knowing, when the mind is still, without any need of us to do anything.

Ajahn Chah taught gave the analogy of leaf in wind - when the wind moves, the leaf moves, but the natural state of a leaf, when there is no wind, is that the leaf is still. similarly, the natural state of mind is stillness - the mind moves, when it is conditioned by like and dislike to the conditions which have arisen.

Hsin Hsin Ming similarly teaches - liking and disliking are the disease of mind. when there is a single trace of right and wrong, the mind is lost in confusion. - meaning do not try to figure out things by thinking about them, just try to be in here and now.

the problem, which is with this approach of just sitting and not doing anything is that - due to our prior conditioning of our mind, we think that in order to know something, we have to do something. but this just sitting method goes just in the opposite direction, where it is said don't do anything and things shall happen by themselves. sounds wierd, but seems like it should work, because whenever we do something, it is adding to our existing conditioning of the mind, so in just sitting meditation, it is said just sit and dont do anything, because the purpose of meditation is not to get something, but to let go of things. moreover, this meditation of just sitting or zazen is not only when we physically sit, rather it is applicable at any time of day whatever we are doing - as it is just to stop doing thing and coming back to our original nature, of who we really are, not what we think we are, till we finally come back to our original nature - whatever you may want to call it spirit, soul, atman, buddhanature, awareness, consciousness, knowing etc. Seems here something is coming back or returning to something, but as per what the teachers have said - the realization which comes is something similar to - this is what was there all the time, this original nature was always who we were, but we did not realized it, as we were caught in our world which we created through our thoughts.

patience and contentment are needed to be just in here and now. as Ajahn Brahm teaches - considering that whatever is in here and now that is good enough, we do not need anything more than it. As Buddha taught, craving leads to clinging, which leads to becoming and which leads to suffering, so in order to end suffering, end craving. so craving for both trying to become something and trying to not become something, these both are craving, which leads to suffering.

Dogen taught to do non-doing - well, we cannot do something for doing non-doing - so he taught to just sit and not do anything. gradually the mind will settle down on its own.

anyways, body and mind are not in our control, so we cannot do anything in this regard. so just relax. don't try to figure the deep questions like - who am i - by thinking. just try to be in here and now, meaning wherever we are and whatever we are doing, just being in the present moment and fully accepting whatever is happening in the present moment.
    Jeffreybookworm
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited October 2013

therefore can I conclude that nothing exists independently?

Short answer, yes. With one codicil, mind can possibly exist alone according to some Buddhist traditions.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Going with yes! All things are "dependently originated", which is the Buddha's 2nd Noble truth.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/genesis.htm

• @futurenets -

Here is what we typically think: there is this, and there is that.

This is emptiness: this arises because of that, that arises because of this.

Let's say you hear the sound of a windchime. But this "sound" is much more than JUST this one isolated thing, existing separately from everything else. In the most basic sense, there can be no sound without your ear to hear it. It is the interaction between the wind, the windchimes striking one another, the vibration of sound, your ear, your nervous system and brain to interpret the sound as the sound of the windchime. And the web of inter-retionships could be extended further: the person who hung up the windchimes, who made the windchimes, the whole entire universe was needed to bring you to THIS VERY MOMENT when you heard the windchimes.

In a certain sense, its another way of saying that everything is necessary. Or what T.S. Eliot write in Four Quartets: "And all is always now."

But we don't see this. We see THIS and THAT as two independently existing entities and we chase after them or avoid them. We don't see how I am seamlessly interconnected to you. So if you do something that makes me angry, it is because I see you as separate from me. The truth is that you haven't made me angry-- I have become a victim of my very own suffering. My deeply held mis-perception of separate existence is one aspect of suffering.

This is WHY emptiness is relevant to Buddhist practice-- it's not just fancy intellectual talk. Even for all of Nagarjuna's very intricate philosophical examinations, it was always within the context of liberation from suffering.
    robotJeffreypoptart
  • I think you can understand these questions. They are not impossible to ask or counter-productive or whatever. I don't have any thoughts on what the answers are. I liked what was said already. A part of shunyata is that nothing is a big deal. You have time and need not force the penny to drop.
    riverflow
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2013

I'd say so but that's not to say that nothing exists because here we are... Everything depends on everything else because they aren't really separate things but different and unique aspects of the same process. A thing would be static but a process is change.

riverflow
  • edited October 2013
    The responses in this topic have been supportive throughout and I appreciate that.

I realize that you don't want any important stuff to get lost by using simple definitions but sometimes for beginners this can be very useful and something to build on.

So unless anyone has any concerns at this stage in my development I'm going to use the following statements:

1. emptiness is the absence of inherent existence in all phenomena

2. inherent existence means that I'm somehow independent of the beings that coexist with me

3. nothing exists independently

In the above book it also mentions "You do not exist in and off yourself" which I also struggled with for a while with but not anymore.

thank you.
  • The responses in this topic have been supportive throughout and I appreciate that.

I realize that you don't want any important stuff to get lost by using simple definitions but sometimes for beginners this can be very useful and something to build on.

So unless anyone has any concerns at this stage in my development I'm going to use the following statements:

2. inherent existence means that I'm somehow independent of the beings that coexist with me

In the above book it also mentions "You do not exist in and off yourself" which I also struggled with for a while with but not anymore.

thank you.

I think a good way to understand how we are all interconnected is through eco-systems. Look at how nature works, and then recognise that you are as much a part of nature as a tree is. You did not come into this world, but from it.
    Jeffreyriverflowlobsterpoptart

The responses in this topic have been supportive throughout and I appreciate that.

thank you.

I think a good way to understand how we are all interconnected is through eco-systems. Look at how nature works, and then recognise that you are as much a part of nature as a tree is. You did not come into this world, but from it.
    I like that and always tend to think of the hydrological system as an example.

• @futurenets

I've been reading this book for a while as well.

Isolating what inherent existence is in our direct experience takes probably the longest and the most effort. Basically the first half the book deals with this.

It is a coarse and subtle issue. With the chair metaphor we can say the inherent existence of the chair is what is left of the chair without its function, parts, wholes, qualities, etc. So it is an independent quality of a chair that gives the chairness to the chair. And it is exactly this imputation that the dalai lama in this book is refuting. So until we have the ability to focus one pointedly on this inherency yet alone even find and isolate the inherent existence we have no chance at refuting. Because we will then refute the object itself or the idea or whatever, which makes us fall into either nihilism or eternalism.

In all cases what is not being refuted is the conventional existence of the chair which is the function, the parts, the concept, the collection of consciousness (visual, tactile, etc). And if we are clear about this then we cannot fall into Nihilism or Eternalism.

Another way to consider inherent existence is a kind of computer aided drafted image of the chair. One where you can see all sides, all configurations of the chair. One where if you took away everything about the chair it would still existence. This is the chair existing as a unit or singular entity. Does the collection of parts make up the chair as an inherently existent chair? Or is the chair prior to the collection of parts. Is it one thing or many things? The point is to actively engage in one pointed meditation and actively seek for the inherent existence.

When such inherent existence is not found then one has an insight into emptiness which is exactly the lack of the assumption. There are depths of this insight and its a gradual process of unbinding the assumption, which takes years and year and if not lifetimes to undo.

But chairs and stuff are fun. Do yourself. The self is the one that counts. And the depth to which one can actualize emptiness of self will be tested by the application of that same insight onto objects. But I personally find the emptiness of self to be probably the most use or rather more pragmatically aligned with the whole praxis of buddhadharma, which is the end of all emotional affliction.

I wish you well.
  • excellent