Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Buddhists Believe in God?

Originally posted by Brian@Dec 24 2003, 12:05 AM
I've been asked about a thousand times in the last few weeks, by friends, family, and acquaintances, the million dollar question:

"Do Buddhists celebrate Christmas?"

I love this question. Most people just assume that we don't. Let me explain my viewpoint, as an american buddhist:

My family celebrates Christmas. Let's look at Christmas for what it really is: It is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. While the actual date may be highly doubtful (in fact, the entire season is probably doubtful - scholars claim that Jesus was probably born in the spring sometime), the point of the celebration is timeless. Jesus Christ was a bodhisattiva of high regard. He did a great many works in the latter part of his lifetime which were of great value to humanity. Therefore, of course we would celebrate his life and his birth.

Now, add to that the cultural aspect of the Christmas holiday. In the west, Christmas is a time to reflect on the past year, reflect on our families and loved ones, and generally bring good cheer to those around us. This fits perfectly within the realm of Buddhism, so it is very logical for us to celebrate the holiday.

So, with all that in mind, I say "Merry Christmas" to you and yours.
Do Buddhists believe there is a God/Grand Creator?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2004
    This topic is big, so I gave it it's own thread.

Let's look at this from a practical standpoint: Judaism was the only monotheistic faith (recorded, anyway) at the time of the Buddha (500 BC). Siddharta lived in India, during a time of many Gods. All of those Gods, with all of their power, could not end the suffering of one single man.

The Buddha never spoke of "one god" or any god, for that matter. Chances are, he never met a Jew, so the concept of monotheism was a foreign one to Indians of the day.

With that said, there are Atheistic Buddhists, Christian Buddhists, and Polytheistic Buddhists (Tibetans, for example). Buddhism isn't concerned with Theism.

One of the monks at my temple, Achahn Dharmananda, put it very well. He said "Buddhism is not atheistic. It is HUMANistic."

That's the best way I can put it - as a buddhist, I am concerned with becoming a perfect human being. I am not worried about God or any of that. It's just not on my "to-do" list right now. :lol:
  • edited September 2004
    I am a Strong Christian who believes in the ways of the buddhist. To strive to be a better person is buddhism and thats what everyone should do
  • edited September 2004
    Perhaps Im missing the jist.. so ...

Do buddhists believe in a "higher power" :)

Your answer was a little verbose... break it down into a "yes, no or per buddhist choice" :)
  • edited September 2004
    neither really...

to sum up brian: buddha never spoke of any "god" hence god is not something that buddhist really worry about. it is more important to us to strive to become our own better person than to concern ourselves with the exsistance or non-exsistance of a god and what he, she or it thinks of us
    edited September 2004
    That's exactly right. It's neither "yes" or "no" -- some buddhists choose to believe in and actively worship a god, some don't. Whether that is a form of attachment is a whole different discussion, but essentially, distilled down to my modern american viewpoint, I would say "If God works for you, then go with it. If not, don't waste your time thinking about it".

You should worry about God AFTER the enlightenment :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    Brian,
    Surely, after Enlightenement, you don't worry about anything....?! :p:lol:
    edited March 2005
    Have you ever read "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry..." by Jack Kornfield? :p

After the enlightenment, you still have to worry about the laundry, the kids, the bills, etc. :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2005
    Do you know the story....? :)
    edited March 2005
    The Legend of Mi Fo Lo (The Laughing Buddha) or Pu T’ai (hemp cloth sack Buddha)

Mi Fo Lo is the squat, rotund Buddha of infinite joy. He carries a heavy sack tied to a gnarled branch of an ancient peach tree. The peach represents Wisdom and Maturity. In his hand he often carries a gourd filled with the sweet nectar of Knowledge.
    The sack is heavy and cumbersome, but he carries it with patience and fortitude, and the smile of infinite Joy, Serenity and Happiness never leaves his face.

One day, upon his travels, he is wandering down a stony rugged path, and he chances to meet a disciple. The greet one another, and then the disciple asks, “Master, what is Enlightenment – understanding, acceptance, the True Way?”
    In response, Mi Fo Lo simply places the sack upon the ground.
    Bemused, and a little puzzled, the disciple takes this in, and then ventures to ask, “ Well, if that is so – what next?”
    Mi Fo Lo simply picks up the sack and placing it upon his shoulder once more, smiles his farewell warmly, and continues on his way.

(It little matters what you carry in Life – more important is the way in which you bear your load.)
    edited March 2005
    See last thread in recommended reading..... ;)
    edited March 2005
    Running parallel to my last posting in 'Recommended reading', I believe we sometimes spend far too much time observing the differences in religions, and fail to try to spot the striking similarities. In his book "The Good Heart", H.H. The Dalai Lama demonstrates how similar the creed of Christ was to the teachings of the Buddha.
    It is odd to me that after Christ's episode at the temple in Jerusalem, where his parents found him teaching his elders, ("Did you not know I would be at my father's house?" he questioned, after they'd been looking for him for hours.) no more is heard about him until he hits thirty. Where did his dad go? And where had he been, and what had he been doing? MY theory (and it is total conjecture and hypothesis on my part, I grant you ) is that he either travelled, or studied. Other religions, other creeds, other faiths... much of what is taught in the new testament can be threaded and interpreted via the sutras and the teachings of Siddharta Gautama.... many of St. Paul's words could have stepped right out of the mouth of the Buddha himself...

Remember - there is a chasm between Christianity as a Faith, and Christianity as a doctrine, implemented by those who interpret it with a 'human' mentality.....

To repeatedly talk of differences is divisive and un destructive. Seek rather, when confronted or challenged, to not dispute the Love taught by fundamental true Christianity, but to couple it with that which you already hold dear in your hearts. :)
  • edited March 2005
    Brian wrote:
    This topic is big, so I gave it it's own thread.

Let's look at this from a practical standpoint: Judaism was the only monotheistic faith (recorded, anyway) at the time of the Buddha (500 BC). Siddharta lived in India, during a time of many Gods. All of those Gods, with all of their power, could not end the suffering of one single man.

The Buddha never spoke of "one god" or any god, for that matter. Chances are, he never met a Jew, so the concept of monotheism was a foreign one to Indians of the day.

With that said, there are Atheistic Buddhists, Christian Buddhists, and Polytheistic Buddhists (Tibetans, for example). Buddhism isn't concerned with Theism.

One of the monks at my temple, Achahn Dharmananda, put it very well. He said "Buddhism is not atheistic. It is HUMANistic."

That's the best way I can put it - as a buddhist, I am concerned with becoming a perfect human being. I am not worried about God or any of that. It's just not on my "to-do" list right now. :lol:

This is the first time I've posted Brian.

For those of you that don't know me, I am a Lutheran pastor. Brian and I met through the tragic death of one of Brian's friends last October. I like what Brian is doing. Buddhism is a large part of our small world -- and so I commend Brian for perservering with this website.

I have an affinity and appreciation for many things Buddhist -- especially Zen Buddhism and Shin Buddhism. Still, I am a committed orthodox Christian and I must say there is a great deal of difference between basic Christianity and basic Buddhism (i.e. with out regard to the many variations of both).

Most significant is the difference between Jesus Christ and a bodhisattva. In Christianity, Jesus is the divine only and eternal son of God who, paradoxically, also lived on earth as a regular finite human being. How this occurred is a mystery, but it only occurred once according to Christians and is central to the Christian sacred story. A bodhisattva is an enlightened man or woman on the verge of entering Narvana, but holds back in order to enlighten (or "save") others through teaching and example. It is believed that there have been many bodhisattvas over history.

Another difference is that Jesus, during his ministry, miraculously healed many persons with any ailment through the power of their mutual trust in God. The bodhisattva is not endowed with any such powers; rather, he or she must help people to understand the truth of themselves and the world, such the notion of "anatta," or the absence of a supposedly permanent and unchanging self or soul. Also, a bodhisattva will generally not be betrayed and killed by the people he or she assists, for they have little reason to be suspicious or jealous of him or her (as many religious leaders were of Jesus).

The reward of Nirvana for the bodhisattva is sort of akin to Jesus rising from the dead because both Nirvana and Resurrected Life represent an end to the suffering that Jesus, the bodhisattva, or any person experiences in this world. But buddhism generally does not understand the suffering of a bodhisattva as necessarily redemptive or "world changing." Indeed the ultimate goal of Buddhism is to remove one's self from suffering by exiting this existance via enlightenment. One does not need a god's help to attain enlightment in buddhism -- but does need discipline and an openness to wisdom.

A Christian cannot be resurrected into a life of bliss without a God's direct involvement (or mercy). So from a Christian point of view, people have to put God on the to-do list if they are interested in how one arrives at eternal life and bliss. If any person who is not a Christian were to receive eternal life -- it would still be contingent upon God's willingness to grant that person mercy and grace (not upon how virtuously they were to live their lives or how often they were to meditated upon the buddha's name). There is a branch of Japanese buddhism that teaches a doctrine remarkably similar to the Christian notion of mercy and grace as the means to salvation (Shin Buddhism), but that is for a whole new discussion.

Just food for thought. Peace to all. Lars
  • edited April 2005
    Buddhist do belief in higher beings such as god but Buddha is not a god.

Buddha is much more for he is an enlightened being who has transcend birth and death.

Just as buddhist belief in heaven but is not their goal as their goal is to achieve enlightenment.

There is no father and son relationship as in god and their son, but in teacher and student relationship for Buddhism is not a religion but an education. It teaches one to become an enlightened being just like the buddha.
  • edited April 2005
    Belief should not be the question, as God tends not to be tangible. What we have here is a western black/white thing. The statement, "Either it is or it isn't" just does not hold true. Belief is what you make it and nothing more. It is a personal thing, not to be contradicted by anyone. I work with many religeous people and they will all tell you that their belief/relationship with God is one thing or another. Should you choose to have belief in God, or Oxygen, or space aliens, is an entirely personal choice and not to be placed in competition with the teachings of Buddah.
    edited May 2005
    hello Giei....
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited May 2005
    Buddhist do belief in higher beings such as god but Buddha is not a god.

Bodhi,

Don't be so quick to answer for "all" buddhists. I do not believe in a higher being, as I'm sure many others don't as well. Don't fall into the fallacy of 'hasty generalization' about any group. It's no more right to say "buddhists believe this..." as it would to say "Christians think this way..." or "Republicans all want this...." We each have our own idiosyncratic ideologies, which is what makes us unique. And although all Buddhists share a commonality, we can't be lumped into one group like that. That's why there are so many flavors of Buddhism out there!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Lars wrote:
    This is the first time I've posted Brian.

For those of you that don't know me, I am a Lutheran pastor. Brian and I met through the tragic death of one of Brian's friends last October. I like what Brian is doing. Buddhism is a large part of our small world -- and so I commend Brian for perservering with this website.

I have an affinity and appreciation for many things Buddhist -- especially Zen Buddhism and Shin Buddhism. Still, I am a committed orthodox Christian and I must say there is a great deal of difference between basic Christianity and basic Buddhism (i.e. with out regard to the many variations of both).

Most significant is the difference between Jesus Christ and a bodhisattva. In Christianity, Jesus is the divine only and eternal son of God who, paradoxically, also lived on earth as a regular finite human being. How this occurred is a mystery, but it only occurred once according to Christians and is central to the Christian sacred story. A bodhisattva is an enlightened man or woman on the verge of entering Narvana, but holds back in order to enlighten (or "save") others through teaching and example. It is believed that there have been many bodhisattvas over history.

Another difference is that Jesus, during his ministry, miraculously healed many persons with any ailment through the power of their mutual trust in God. The bodhisattva is not endowed with any such powers; rather, he or she must help people to understand the truth of themselves and the world, such the notion of "anatta," or the absence of a supposedly permanent and unchanging self or soul. Also, a bodhisattva will generally not be betrayed and killed by the people he or she assists, for they have little reason to be suspicious or jealous of him or her (as many religious leaders were of Jesus).

The reward of Nirvana for the bodhisattva is sort of akin to Jesus rising from the dead because both Nirvana and Resurrected Life represent an end to the suffering that Jesus, the bodhisattva, or any person experiences in this world. But buddhism generally does not understand the suffering of a bodhisattva as necessarily redemptive or "world changing." Indeed the ultimate goal of Buddhism is to remove one's self from suffering by exiting this existance via enlightenment. One does not need a god's help to attain enlightment in buddhism -- but does need discipline and an openness to wisdom.

A Christian cannot be resurrected into a life of bliss without a God's direct involvement (or mercy). So from a Christian point of view, people have to put God on the to-do list if they are interested in how one arrives at eternal life and bliss. If any person who is not a Christian were to receive eternal life -- it would still be contingent upon God's willingness to grant that person mercy and grace (not upon how virtuously they were to live their lives or how often they were to meditated upon the buddha's name). There is a branch of Japanese buddhism that teaches a doctrine remarkably similar to the Christian notion of mercy and grace as the means to salvation (Shin Buddhism), but that is for a whole new discussion.

Just food for thought. Peace to all. Lars

I used to be Christian and I never felt right with myself. Everything I read in the bible was either a contradiction or it preached God's unforgiveness and anger. Sure Jesus preached th eopposite but only if we as humans excepted him. I don't see why it should matter. I am more understanding than th eGod in the bible. I understand people get confused and don't always understand what is being taught and they decide to go down a different path, why can't God? God is supposed to be more understanding than me, right? I myself put my faith in God and the teachings of Buddha. I don't believe Jesus was the son of God and I don't believe the true God is anything like th eone in the bible.
    edited June 2005
    Which one are you referring to? the one in the Old Testament or the one in the New? There is a classic difference. Don't confuse the two......
    edited June 2005
    Both. They are considered the same by Christians. That's where the contradiction is.
    edited June 2005
    You are incorrect in your generalisation and evaluation of how Christians see God. I have been an active member in a Catholic community, and everyone I spoke to had a different viewpoint and perception of God. "He" is not 'someone' you can categorise so simply...... With all the love in the world, you must be careful of bracketing everybody into one habit..... :)
    edited June 2005
    You are right. I was generalizing. I have never met any Christian or Catholic who separated God in the old and new testaments.
    edited June 2005
    Well how do you do!! In order to be able to see the distinction, study and understanding of the origin, meaning and the interpretation of the scriptures is first required. Please don't think that I'm putting myself up as an expert - far from it!! But having 'straddled' the two... Buddhism and Christianity - I'm fortuante to have a distinctly amateur insight into how some things might be looked at. Having said that, remember the Buddhist adage.... "Only accept the things which enable you to see the Truth face-to-face." ;)
  • edited July 2005
    Hi, iam a bit confused about his whole thing, iam a christian but i wan tot practice the way of the buddist but i dont want to quit my other faith.....is this possible, i would also like to know what are the main foundations of buddism, does it include worshing some type of god..argh all of this is so confusing.
  • edited July 2005
    Welcome canon
    The teachings of the Buddha are for anyone . No of course you do not have to "quit your other faith". It is possible to use the teachings here to go deeper into your own faith, find the path amongst the weeds as it were. There are rabbis and priests who practice Zen Buddhism and still maintain thier own teachings and faiths. welcome to our humble little site. Sit back , read, ask lots of questions and enjoy yourself. you may find you are more like than unlike most of the people here! :bigclap:

^gassho^
    edited July 2005
    Welcome Canon. Also please don't ever be afraid to ask questions. We will not judge you or make fun. We only want to help. :)
    edited July 2005
    We were all "new" once..... and now we're in the privileged and honoured position of being able to welcome those newer than ourselves.... the questions you might pose have in all probability been asked before, by one of us....! So fire away, and sit back and enjoy the show - you're in it!! :)
    edited July 2005
    As the old cliche goes. "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask". :bigclap:
  • edited July 2005
    Thank-you
    edited July 2005
    Welcome to the site, Canon! :)
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I enjoy reading the material at http://web.singnet.com.sg/~alankhoo/God-idea.htm
    fyi.

cheers,
  • edited July 2005
    I'd like to recommend this site regarding the buddhist's attitude to worship of god.
    http://www.parami.org/buddhistanswers/what_about_god.htm

The Buddha did not say that one should not or cannot worship a God. He teaches the way to liberation from suffering and in applying the method taught by him, the worship of god is redundant. Indeed, if one is overly attached to the idea of God, it may become a hindrance. For example one may believe that all good or all the bad things that hsppen to oneself is ordained by god, when in truth, we are responsible for our actions and destinies. So instead of beseeching the favours of god, Buddhists venerate the Buddha out of gratitude, respect, and love.
    edited July 2005
    I look at God as a being that leaves us alone. We are here to figure things out for ourselves. God is just there to channel everything else we don't deal with . It is like a documentary where the people making it never get involved with the animals.
  • NoiNoi
    edited August 2005
    Buddhism is a difficult religion to concieve because it challenges us as individuals, not what we believe in.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I look at God as a being that leaves us alone. We are here to figure things out for ourselves. God is just there to channel everything else we don't deal with . It is like a documentary where the people making it never get involved with the animals.
    Like the Truman Show?
    edited August 2005
    Maybe. In that movie Truman did help a lot of people without knowing it. Maybe we are helping God?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2005
    QUOTE: "Buddhism is a difficult religion to concieve because it challenges us as individuals, not what we believe in."

That is a very excellent was of looking at it Noi.
    edited August 2005
    Maybe we are helping God?

Of Course we're helping God....he needs us as much as some need him... If NOBODY believed in Him, He'd be redundant.... He would cease to 'exist'..... at least in our Conscious, sceptic minds, he would.... but if He does exist, and no-one believes in him - who'd notice? So belief in God is a two-way street. And just as in any relationship, both partners have to commit and contribute... which is why the relationship with one's "Self" is so darned hard, at times....!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Yeah, but what if ....

We ARE supposed to worship God, follow his laws and ways...

There are going to be a lot of people in deep dooh-dooh when this whole gig is up!

Michael
    edited August 2005
    "What if" sure is a wide question to ask.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    If this elusive 'God' does exist, why doesn't the whole world follow christianity? I am not having a go at anyone, but I struggle to come to grips with deities, and if they are all supposedly the one god to follow, how can there be so many? If God created Adam and Eve, why don't Palestinians believe this? There is no universal truth to it.
    Hope I am not offending anyone....
    edited August 2005
    Yeah? Well, I'm just obnoxious enough to ask the big question, sometimes!

Yeah, baby!. That's me! The big question asker!

Michael
    edited August 2005
    Who is this Foot Diety we hear about?
    edited August 2005
    I have no idea. It's the name of my band that came from a cat who should be dead and that's why we call him FrankenPuss but the keyboard player that owns him calls him buddhafoot.

Whew!

Michael
    edited August 2005
    But actually, now that I think about it, I have done some searches on google and found images of (supposedly) Buddha's foot (done in artwork) with a whole bunch of symbols on the underside of the foot.

Still don't know what it's all about. Just an odd coincedence.

Michael
    edited August 2005
    LOL. You took my silly joke and actually started a new religion, I think. LOL
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    We can find lotrs of examples of "Buddha footprints" because, for the first centuries after his parinibbana/death, no human images of Gautama were used. A footprint or an empty bowl or, even, an umbrella were used a symbols of the Tathagata.
  • edited January 2006
    If I may interject and refer back to the original thought about Christ and Buddism.
    I am part wat though a book called 'Christ the Eternal Tao'. The author escapes me at the moment (I will get back to you on that). If I understood my reading on both Tao and Buddhism, there are MANY similarities (individual rather than follow the leader worship) This book points out MANY similarities between Christ and Lao Tzu...adn now I am realizing, Buddha.
    Could it be that they are all connceted in one way or another???? (big question)

As for why the Middle East and Jews don't follow Christianity...it all goes back to communication (or lack thereof in His time), and just plain old non-believers.

Buddhafoot...as far as 'deep doo doo' whe nthe time comes...even going the Way, or with Buddism, both have the same fundamental teaching: compassion. So how can anyone do wrong?

Have a peaceful day everyone!
  • edited January 2006
    oppss...I forgot to add Christianity in that last comment....sorry
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "Could it be that they are all connceted in one way or another???? (big question)"

Yes. We are all connected. All sentient beings are interdependent. Time and place in history makes no difference. It's as simple as that.
  • edited January 2006
    Good point. Plus the other connection is that because one person sees something that happens to be true, doesn't mean that others can't see it. Nor does it mean that they must have communicated in order to see it, or to express what they've seen. Just as both I and someone I've never met, many miles away, can see a sunset and express certain things about it doesn't mean that we've communicated in any way.
This discussion has been closed.