Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Buddhists Believe in God?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Things would be a lot simpler if people didn't feel they need labels, trust me :-/

All the best
    Nickidoodle

You mean, the All-Knowledge-Accomplished Thus Come One :-/
    The Buddha told the Bodhisattva Samadhi Self-Mastery King. The king who vowed to become a Buddha quickly is All-Knowledge-Accomplished Thus Come One. The king who vowed to keep crossing over beings who are suffering for their offenses rather than to become a Buddha is Earth Store Bodhisattva.
    :hohum:
  • edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    There is no reason one can't practice Christianity and also practice Buddhism. On a very profound level, once you get past all the god and jesus stuff, they're the same anyway. I once knew an Episcopalian bishop who also practiced Buddhist meditation. They're not contradictory.

Palzang

Exactly Palzang and just what I was trying to express. The more I learn about Buddisim the more it relates to Christianity. Its a shame people are too afraid to open the many Budhistic books out there that are most helpful to all of us. Im glad I took a big ol' bite. (heh heh):bigclap:
  • edited May 2010
    Do Buddhists believe there is a God/Grand Creator?
    What is your understanding on God/Grand Creator?:cool:
  • edited May 2010
    No.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Dhammachick ;)
    edited May 2010
    Labels cause bullying. It's true, and it's horrid. I know first hand and you read in the news all the time about drunken people killing people who are just, according to a label, different.

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    [
    Labels cause bullying. It's true, and it's horrid. I know first hand and you read in the news all the time about drunken people killing people who are just, according to a label, different.

All the best
    Nickidoodle

So true, Nickidoodle (I love that name!), and when we loosen the labels, the world becomes far more fun to inhabit. Having spent some time on archaeological digs, I have come across wonderful examples of the process of leaping to a conclusion by attaching a label to a find.

On the other hand, deliberately applying labels can also be an interesting exercise. This happened to me when I was an undergraduate at Oxford in the early 1960s. One of the Dominicans at Blackfriars suggested an exercise: to walk from Blackfriars to Carfax and to say to oneself as a greeting to everyone one saw: "I see Christ in you." I managed to get to the Martyrs' Memorial (about halfway) before being completely overwhelmed. All labels dissolved and, with them all "I & Thou".
    edited May 2010
    Hehehe. I like that story, thank you :)

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010
    Buddha said in the Parable of the Log that belief in a deity will stop you from reaching Nirvana and walking the Path properly! People need to get it in their heads that belief in God is NOT compatible with Buddhism!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Let every Buddhist decide that for himself.

What people need - or do not need - to get through their heads, is for them to decide for themselves.
    It's not for you to insist upon.
    Let it be, and relax.
    It's no big deal, or skin off your nose.......
  • edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Let every Buddhist decide that for himself.

To be a Buddhist is to deny God. What if I said, "Let every atheist decide for himself whether God exists." Well, if that person decides there is a God, he is no longer an atheist.

Buddha mentioned and rejected God multiple times in the Pali Canon.

What people need - or do not need - to get through their heads, is for them to decide for themselves.
    It's not for you to insist upon.
    Let it be, and relax.
    It's no big deal, or skin off your nose.......

I have a problem with Buddhism being mischaracterized as being compatible with Christianity or Deism. This is simply false. We can be all flowery or we can be honest. Perhaps, it requires that people bend the truth in order to avoid immediately scaring people away from Buddhism, though this is unfortunate.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    To be a Buddhist is to deny God.
    Not so.
    To be a Buddhist is to really not concern ones self with whether god exists or not....
    What if I said, "Let every atheist decide for himself whether God exists." Well, if that person decides there is a God, he is no longer an atheist.
    An atheist is an atheist, but not necessarily a Buddhist. An Atheist denies God. A Buddhist doesn't either deny or confirm.....Not through agnosticism, but through indifference.
    Links and references....?
    I have a problem with Buddhism being mischaracterized as being compatible with Christianity or Deism.
    No,. You just have a problem. It's called being closed-minded.....
    This is simply false. We can be all flowery or we can be honest. Perhaps, it requires that people bend the truth in order to avoid immediately scaring people away from Buddhism, though this is unfortunate
    If The Dalai Lama can be accepting of the faith of others, and see parallels between faiths, and work constructively to unite and work with Catholicism and Christianity - he's false?
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2010
    To be a Buddhist is to deny God. What if I said, "Let every atheist decide for himself whether God exists." Well, if that person decides there is a God, he is no longer an atheist.

I have a problem with Buddhism being mischaracterized as being compatible with Christianity or Deism. This is simply false. We can be all flowery or we can be honest. Perhaps, it requires that people bend the truth in order to avoid immediately scaring people away from Buddhism, though this is unfortunate.

I have no misconceptions of Buddhism being compatible with Christianity - Buddhism has no "saviour" - that's the most glaringly obvious difference. Deism however, I believe is not so clear.

Whilst researching the Log Parable I came across this:

Darukkhandhopama Sutta (The Parable of the Log) in Samyutta Nikaya. In this discourse the Buddha points out that if there is not any of these eight faults (below), the log will reach the ocean. Then He explain each of the similes.

1) If that log is not caught on the near bank, it will reach the ocean.
    2) If it is not caught on the far bank, it will reach the ocean.
    3) If it is not submerged under the water, it will reach the ocean.
    4) If it does not land on a small island in the middle of the river, it will reach the ocean.
    5) If it is not taken away by a human being, it will reach the ocean.
    6) If it is not taken away by a deity, it will reach the ocean.
    7) If it does not sink into a whirlpool, it will reach the ocean.
    8) If it does not become rotten, it will reach the ocean.

This to me, does not point out belief in a Deity holding you back. My understanding so far on my journey in Buddhism is that The Buddha never engaged in discussion on whether or not "God" existed as it was not necessary to attain enlightenment.

Honestly, to me it really ISN'T relevant. And judging from Fede's answer, it most likely isn't to many others. My question here is, is it such a sticking point to you as an atheist or as a buddhist practicioner? Because it's very obvious from previous threads that you are a Dawkins school Atheist, which is fine, but is it colouring your perception on this question? (which again, is no biggie).

Because you don't speak for me when you say to deny "God" is to be a Buddhist that's all.

Respectfully,
    Raven
  • edited May 2010
    I'm on my iPod; I'll respond to this later. I'll also make a separate thread pointing out where and how Buddha rejected God.

• edited May 2010

I thought the Buddha was silent on the matter of God(s), in his eyes, it wasn't important whether God, or Gods, existed or not.

Also, aren't there multiple Buddhist Scriptures, where Buddha is said to teach the Gods?.

Then, there's, Tibetan Buddhism, which has a whole pantheon of deities, demonic beings, and other supernatural beings.

Why can't a Christian practice both Christianity and Buddhism?, there are areas where they are quite similar (and different too). Gnostic Christianity, especially, from what I've read, was very similar to Buddhism, in places.

A Buddhist should decide for themselves whether or not they believe in, or want to worship, any God(s).
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    David_2009 wrote: »
    Why can't a Christian practice both Christianity and Buddhism?, there are areas where they are quite similar (and different too). Gnostic Christianity, especially, from what I've read, was very similar to Buddhism, in places.

David,

I find it troubling that people would waste their time declaring "You are not Buddhist if you believe blahblah" or "You are not Cristian if you believe blahblah". Some people find similar truth between the two forms, some declare it impossible to be both. Silly chaps, all of them.

I think you're spot on to say that people can practice both.
    If a person comes up to us and says "I'm a Buddhist that believes in God." I think we should say "great, want some tea?"
    If a person comes up to us and says "I'm a Buddhist that doesn't believe in God." I think we should say "great, want some tea?"

Clinging to this or that is just as distracting.

With warmth,

Matt
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    David,

I find it troubling that people would waste their time declaring "You are not Buddhist if you believe blahblah" or "You are not Cristian if you believe blahblah". Some people find similar truth between the two forms, some declare it impossible to be both. Silly chaps, all of them.

If a person comes up to us and says "I'm a Buddhist that believes in God." I think we should say "great, want some tea?"
    If a person comes up to us and says "I'm a Buddhist that doesn't believe in God." I think we should say "great, want some tea?"

With warmth,

Matt
    Sorry Matt. But it is plainly stated in the mugga lugga pugga that you are not a Buddhist if say "Blah blah blah" :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Sorry Matt. But it is plainly stated in the mugga lugga pugga that you are not a Buddhist if say "Blah blah blah" :)

Heh. Well, I have paid far too much attention to the teachings of Buddha to be a Buddhist. :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Does [belief in God] lead to harm or benefit?

There are certainly those who believe in God who are intent upon harm in "His" name but these people are a minority. I don't think it's possible to answer this question with a blanket statement. So I think it's best left up to each individual to decide whether its worth it or not to believe in one god, two gods, a million gods or zero gods for themselves and not impose their beliefs on others. It is the imposing our beliefs onto others which is perhaps the most harmful thing we can do whether or not we are atheist, monotheist, polytheist, pantheist or flyingspagghettimonsterist.
    edited May 2010
    I have no misconceptions of Buddhism being compatible with Christianity - Buddhism has no "saviour" - that's the most glaringly obvious difference. Deism however, I believe is not so clear.

Whilst researching the Log Parable I came across this:

Darukkhandhopama Sutta (The Parable of the Log) in Samyutta Nikaya. In this discourse the Buddha points out that if there is not any of these eight faults (below), the log will reach the ocean. Then He explain each of the similes.

1) If that log is not caught on the near bank, it will reach the ocean.
    2) If it is not caught on the far bank, it will reach the ocean.
    3) If it is not submerged under the water, it will reach the ocean.
    4) If it does not land on a small island in the middle of the river, it will reach the ocean.
    5) If it is not taken away by a human being, it will reach the ocean.
    6) If it is not taken away by a deity, it will reach the ocean.
    7) If it does not sink into a whirlpool, it will reach the ocean.
    8) If it does not become rotten, it will reach the ocean.

Since the work of the Higher Criticism in the 19th Century, we have progressively learned to read more deeply into parables - and to understand how counter-intuitive are the multiple meanings of such teaching stories. For me, this wonderful image does not teach about the 'existence' or not of a god, gods or God. It is about how we may react most skillfully to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune", what we call living.

We may look at the images and say to ourselves that things like being taken away or rotting are outwith our own volition but that the Buddha still says we shall not "reach the ocean", whereas our general understanding of the Dharma seems to suggest that the "ocean" is reached or not reached as a result of our own actions. A log, after all, is incapable of voluntary action. This is why Aesop's frogs want an active king: the log does and can do nothing.

Thus, our first understanding of the parable must be that we are not to be 'logs'.

If we then consider the form of the list, we can see that it is set out in pairs, a style we recognise from the Dhammapada. Should we, perhaps, take each pair as a single image? If so, we then read:
    "Not caught on the near bank, nor caught on the far bank,the log will reach the ocean.

Neither submerged under the water, nor landing on a small island in the middle of the river, will it reach the ocean.

Not taken away by a human being nor by a deity, it will reach the ocean.

If it neither sinks into a whirlpool nor rots, it will reach the ocean."

The pair about being 'taken away' are now very obviously about attachment. If it says anything at all about the existence of deities, it is to put that existence on the same basis as that of human beings. This would fit with a view of godhood being on the wheel of rebirth but is in no way a commentary or declaration about "God as we understand God", as the Big Book of AA has it.

If we are to take the parable almost literally, we will have to get our heads around the idea that we are as responsible as a log for what we do or what happens to us. This is not Buddhism as I understand it but, perhaps, I am wrong.
    edited May 2010
    I've got to agree with what Matt and Fede said, but I'm trying to watch something so I just scanned or skipped what some people said LOL

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010
    To believe in God requires that you reject the Three Marks of Existence!

God is eternal! God is permanent! God has a self! God does not suffer! Buddha scorned those who believed that the finite is eternal, that the impermanent is permanent.

Why can't anyone see this?! Are you a Buddhist if you reject the 3 existential tenets?!

Note: Non-eternal and impermanent are the same. The three marks are impermanence, dukkha, and non-self.

edited May 2010
    I appreciate your reply Simon as I am genuinely trying to understand the parable. As I have mentioned before, I am still learning on my path in Buddhism so thank you for taking the time to break it down for me :)

Respectfully,
    Raven
    Since the work of the Higher Criticism in the 19th Century, we have progressively learned to read more deeply into parables - and to understand how counter-intuitive are the multiple meanings of such teaching stories. For me, this wonderful image does not teach about the 'existence' or not of a god, gods or God. It is about how we may react most skillfully to the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune", what we call living.

We may look at the images and say to ourselves that things like being taken away or rotting are outwith our own volition but that the Buddha still says we shall not "reach the ocean", whereas our general understanding of the Dharma seems to suggest that the "ocean" is reached or not reached as a result of our own actions. A log, after all, is incapable of voluntary action. This is why Aesop's frogs want an active king: the log does and can do nothing.

Thus, our first understanding of the parable must be that we are not to be 'logs'.

If we then consider the form of the list, we can see that it is set out in pairs, a style we recognise from the Dhammapada. Should we, perhaps, take each pair as a single image? If so, we then read:
    "Not caught on the near bank, nor caught on the far bank,the log will reach the ocean.

Neither submerged under the water, nor landing on a small island in the middle of the river, will it reach the ocean.

Not taken away by a human being nor by a deity, it will reach the ocean.

If it neither sinks into a whirlpool nor rots, it will reach the ocean."

The pair about being 'taken away' are now very obviously about attachment. If it says anything at all about the existence of deities, it is to put that existence on the same basis as that of human beings. This would fit with a view of godhood being on the wheel of rebirth but is in no way a commentary or declaration about "God as we understand God", as the Big Book of AA has it.

If we are to take the parable almost literally, we will have to get our heads around the idea that we are as responsible as a log for what we do or what happens to us. This is not Buddhism as I understand it but, perhaps, I am wrong.
    edited May 2010
    Hi Trans,

I can see how you would reject non-self if you believe in God as usually, belief in a Deity requires belief in a soul. But I don't see how believing in a God automatically means you don't believe in dukkha and impermanence. After all, in Christianity it is taught that this life is not permanent and that suffering is to be expected (albeit, in Christianity it is taught that suffer BECAUSE of your belief in "God").

I can see where you're going with this, but I don't believe it is quite as clear cut as you make out.

Respectfully,
    Raven

God is eternal! God is permanent! God has a self! God does not suffer! Buddha scorned those who believed that the finite is eternal, that the impermanent is permanent.

Why can't anyone see this?! Are you a Buddhist if you reject the 3 existential tenets?!

Note: Non-eternal and impermanent are the same. The three marks are impermanence, dukkha, and non-self.

edited May 2010

Just two points, Transm.:
    1. In your opinion, is the Dharma marked by impermanence and non -self?

2. You are no doubt aware that there are differing Buddhist opinions on what precisely are the Three Marks. Some exclude dukkha and include Nirvana.
    edited May 2010
    Look, there's more than one "type" of God that people believe in. Not all believe in God like Christians do. And anything can be compatible, you just have to find a way. People should have the right to believe in anything they want, although ofcause it helps not to label yourself.

All the best
    Nickidoodle
    edited May 2010
    Look, there's more than one "type" of God that people believe in. Not all believe in God like Christians do. And anything can be compatible, you just have to find a way. People should have the right to believe in anything they want, although ofcause it helps not to label yourself.

All the best
    Nickidoodle

That's it, NickiD.

The answer to the OP must be: Some do and some don't, but it all depends what you understand by "God" - and, it seems, what you mean by "Buddhist".
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Trans,

I can see how you would reject non-self if you believe in God as usually, belief in a Deity requires belief in a soul. But I don't see how believing in a God automatically means you don't believe in dukkha and impermanence. After all, in Christianity it is taught that this life is not permanent and that suffering is to be expected (albeit, in Christianity it is taught that suffer BECAUSE of your belief in "God").

I can see where you're going with this, but I don't believe it is quite as clear cut as you make out.

Respectfully,
    Raven

:confused:
    edited May 2010
    Indeed Simon :D

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Anybody heard of the Tevijja sutta where Buddha teaches the way to "union" with the brahma?

It explaines how to worship God and be a buddhist at the same time without neccessaraly looking "down" on God as a deluded being.

http://www.dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/read.php?id=13

And yes it is a Digha Nikaya sutta...if you do not like it then just do not read it.

/Victor
    edited May 2010
    polyp_cartoon_religion.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »
    David,

With warmth,

Matt

That's really true, I think people get hung up on what people believe, for myself, I don't think it matters if someone believes in God, or Jesus, or Shiva/Kali/Shakti, or whoever.
    edited May 2010
    Deni wrote: »
    :confused:

What?

In the bible Paul clearly states that Christians will suffer for their beliefs and some (and a lot were) killed for following Yeshua's teachings. Can't get much clearer than that IME
    edited May 2010
    What?

In the bible Paul clearly states that Christians will suffer for their beliefs and some (and a lot were) killed for following Yeshua's teachings. Can't get much clearer than that IME

Before Paul, Jesus said the same thing over and over again: challenge the prevailing imperial order and you will be persecuted (Sermon on the Mount and parables). History demonstrates the truth of this, and it does not apply simply to Christians. Try being an 'observant' Buddhist in Tibet, Jew or Mandean in Iraq.

What, however, has this got to do with belief in God? And why do you use the name "Yeshua" rather than Joshua or Jesus when you are happy to use the name "Paul"?

Whenever we choose a path which is at variance with the prevailing ethos of the rich and powerful, we shall run into trouble; and that trouble will often include pain and death.
    edited May 2010

What, however, has this got to do with belief in God? And why do you use the name "Yeshua" rather than Joshua or Jesus when you are happy to use the name "Paul"?

Force of habit, nothing sinister.

- Raven
  • edited May 2010
    To see 100% proof that Buddha rejected God (any and all versions of God), go to this thread:

http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6008

• StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited May 2010
    To see 100% proof that Buddha rejected God (any and all versions of God), go to this thread:

You seem really hung up on this issue. Perhaps you should let it go. It won't bring you any closer to peace, happiness, or enlightenment, though it may well hinder you.
  • edited May 2010
    I haven't read all of this thread because its such a long one - but I wondered if anyone had mentioned this section of the Buddhist study guide at the Buddhanet learning site.

'Basic Buddhism....Buddhism and the God-idea.'

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda03.htm

edited May 2010

I'm glad you find sutras to support your opinion about the 'existence' of God, gods, devas or any sort of divinity. You fail, nevertheless, to convince me (and others, I am sure) that Buddhists as a gathering of millions all disbelieve as you do.

You are trying, I think, to advance your view as the only orthodoxy, whereas I avoid such absolutism because orthodoxy always implies heresy - and we know what the 'orthodox' do to 'heretics'.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    we know what the 'orthodox' do to 'heretics'.

Make them play scrabble?
    edited May 2010
    Transmetaphysical, you seemed to have formed some strange attachment and need to prove that Buddha rejected God. Let it go man/woman!

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010
    I've put this on the other thread too.

From my link from Buddhanet learning which I mentioned earlier.

title_buddhism-and-the-god-.gif
    title_question.gif
    Do Buddhists believe in a god?

title_answer.gif
    No, we do not. There are several reasons for this. The Buddha, like modern sociologists and psychologists, believed that religious ideas and especially the god idea have their origins in fear. The Buddha says:
    'Gripped by fear people go to sacred mountains, sacred groves, sacred trees and shrines.'
    Dp. 188

Primitive humans found themselves in a dangerous and hostile world, the fear of wild animals, of not being able to find enough food, of injury or disease, and of natural phenomena like thunder, lightning and volcanoes were constantly with them. Finding no security, they created the idea of gods in order to give them comfort in good times, courage in times of danger and consolation when things went wrong.

To this day, you will notice that people become more religious at times of crises, you will hear them say that the belief in a god or gods gives them the strength they need to deal with life. You will hear them explain that they believe in a particular god because they prayed in time of need and their prayer was answered. All this seems to support the Buddha's teaching that the god-idea is a response to fear and frustration.

The Buddha taught us to try to understand our fears, to lessen our desires and to calmly and courageously accept the things we cannot change. He replaced fear, not with irrational belief but with rational understanding.
    The second reason the Buddha did not believe in a god is because there does not seem to be any evidence to support this idea.

There are numerous religions, all claiming that they alone have god's words preserved in their holy book, that they alone understand god's nature, that their god exists and that the gods of other religions do not. Some claim that god is masculine, some that she is feminine and others that it is neuter. They are all satisfied that there is ample evidence to prove the existence of their god but they laugh in disbelief at the evidence other religions use to prove the existence of another god.

It is not surprising that with so many different religions spending so many centuries trying to prove the existence of their gods that still no real, concrete, substantial or irrefutable evidence has been found. Buddhists suspend judgement until such evidence is forthcoming.

continues here in the Buddhist studies section:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda03.htm

edited May 2010
    I think the Hindus have a good idea :)

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • edited May 2010

I'm glad you find sutras to support your opinion about the 'existence' of God, gods, devas or any sort of divinity. You fail, nevertheless, to convince me (and others, I am sure) that Buddhists as a gathering of millions all disbelieve as you do.

Strawman. I'm not making that argument at all. I know there are millions of God and deity believing "Buddhists" but my point is simply that such a belief contradicts the existential tenets of Buddhism and that Buddha himself explicitly rejected God.

Anyone who believes in an eternal God doesn't accept the Buddhist precept of impermanence. Eternalism is considered wrong view.
    You are trying, I think, to advance your view as the only orthodoxy, whereas I avoid such absolutism because orthodoxy always implies heresy - and we know what the 'orthodox' do to 'heretics'.

No, my aim is not to turn my view into orthodoxy. I just want it made clear to the world that Buddha was an Atheist. And thank God for Stephen Batchelor and his new "Buddhist Atheist" book!

edited May 2010
    Transmetaphysical, I think this avatar would be highly suitable for you.....:rolleyes:

Whatever floats your boat. ;)
    edited May 2010
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • edited May 2010
    Transmetaphysical, you seemed to have formed some strange attachment and need to prove that Buddha rejected God. Let it go man/woman!

All the best
    Nickidoodle

QFT, Nickid :).
    Strawman. I'm not making that argument at all. I know there are millions of God and deity believing "Buddhists" but my point is simply that such a belief contradicts the existential tenets of Buddhism and that Buddha himself explicitly rejected God.

Anyone who believes in an eternal God doesn't accept the Buddhist precept of impermanence. Eternalism is considered wrong view.

No, my aim is not to turn my view into orthodoxy. I just want it made clear to the world that Buddha was an Atheist. And thank God for Stephen Batchelor and his new "Buddhist Atheist" book!

Considering there have been many Buddha's, how do you know that all Buddhas that have existed were "Atheist"?.
  • edited May 2010
    ok ok ok....now I got a headache. Something I truly do believe in. I am thinking. (always a dangerous task for me) I am believeing in Jesus in the Gnostic way of thinking soooo but also his death on the cross and his resurection. But i am thinking that a rabbi without the written works of his immediate discipels (crap i cant spell) there just has to be something wrong with that. I have to say if they killed Jesus what would stop them from finding and burning any works by his diciples. If all of this knowledge is carried in his diciples heads cause they don't dare write it down maybe they all panicked at his arrest and burned the evidence. Well....in a vote for my scenario they DID have a campfire. Didn't they? Or maybe the Jewish high priests burnt every copy that they had. Of course that leaves a great big gap of knowlege that has been taken away from Christianity. Word of mouth kept it alive and before anyone knew it here comes matthew, mark, luck, and john. But its all scattered and John itself sounds a might Gnostic to me. I figure Budda at least fills in the gaps of the knowlege that normally would have been with Christ's teachings and passed down to us. So I am thankful for Buddism giving us this wealth of information so that at least we would have frigging something to help us along ya know?
    edited May 2010
    Aah, but did Buddha even exist? I mean, I just don't see it happening if I'm to be honest... I mean read into his life and it all seems very... too perfect to be true y'know? And aparantly in his last words he said something about what he refered to as, "all of creation." And that's just one source! :-/

All the best
    Nickidoodle
    edited May 2010
    Fede, :lol::lol::lol:
This discussion has been closed.