Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Buddhists Believe in God?

12346»

Comments

• mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    is it better to believe or to know?
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Know? I dunno...

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Strawman. I'm not making that argument at all. I know there are millions of God and deity believing "Buddhists" but my point is simply that such a belief contradicts the existential tenets of Buddhism and that Buddha himself explicitly rejected God.

Anyone who believes in an eternal God doesn't accept the Buddhist precept of impermanence. Eternalism is considered wrong view.

No, my aim is not to turn my view into orthodoxy. I just want it made clear to the world that Buddha was an Atheist. And thank God for Stephen Batchelor and his new "Buddhist Atheist" book!

You are using the word Atheist wrong. Atheist is someone who denies gods or deities of any kind not only those who deny the Christian concept of God.

The first sutta you quoted on the other thread from SB is the Avijjia sutta I referred to earlier in this thread.

Here it is again

http://www.dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/read.php?id=13

As you can see if you read the whole sutta. It is in reality a sutta that confirms the reality of the Brahma and how to reach unity with him. And that the Buddha taugth that to laymen. So how is he being an Atheist doing that?

Could you please post the referrence to the other sutta you quoted from Atheist Buddhist by SB. So I can read it in its entireity please.

But you are entirely correct that being a buddhist it is difficult to believe in a being that is eternal and flawless in this samsara as many Christians envision Him.

On more thing

When you say

In conclusion, belief in God or anything of the sort, is NOT compatible with Buddhism! It's a matter of definition and nuances of Buddhist doctrine. A Muslim can't be an Atheist and a Buddhist can't be a Theist. You can be whoever you want to be or believe whatever, but to say you are a Buddhist Theist is to say you are a square-circle. Simple as that!

in the other thread you know you are using the term Theist wrong too? Just to clarify? Theism is not generelly limited to the belife in one Christian God. You do mean Christian monotheism do you not?

/Victor

PS
    Have you noticed that if you write SB:s initials backwards they become BS?:). Sorry I could not resist.
    DS
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    is it better to believe or to know?

Direct knowleadge is just the strongest form of belief. The best we can do so to speak.

So from that scale it is better to have direct knowleadge of a thing than just believing in it.

On the other hand sometimes people want to have credible deniability. (I m not familiar with the right term).

They want to have a degree of knowleadge (belief) about something so they kan deny knowing it.

Like many politicians do.

In that case belief is better than direct knowleadge.

/Victor
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    “As regards the method of acquiring practical spiritual knowledge, if you find a certain practice increases your evil passions and tends you toward selfishness, abandon it, though it may appear to others virtuous. And if any course of action tends to counteract your evil passions, and to benefit sentient beings, know that to be the true and holy path, and continue it, even though it should appear to others to be sinful.” -Milarepa

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6LEdGIcBheM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6LEdGIcBheM&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

god won't let you cling anyway. in which case yr really clinging to unverified superstition.
    Not by sorrowing,
    not by lamenting,
    is any aim accomplished here,
    not even a bit.
    Knowing you're sorrowing & in pain,
    your enemies are gratified.
    But when a sage
    with a sense for determining what is his aim
    doesn't waver in the face of misfortune,
    his enemies are pained,
    seeing his face unchanged, as of old.
    Where & however an aim is accomplished
    through eulogies, chants, good sayings,
    donations, & family customs,
    follow them diligently there & that way.
    But if you discern that your own aim
    or that of others
    is not gained in this way,
    acquiesce [to the nature of things]
    unsorrowing, with the thought:
    'What important work am I doing now?'
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.049.than.html
  • edited May 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    You are using the word Atheist wrong. Atheist is someone who denies gods or deities of any kind not only those who deny the Christian concept of God.

I never implied that Atheist means the rejection of Yahweh. Atheism rejects all forms of God, even the Deist God. Also, Buddha even rejected a Universal Mind or some sort of vague ground of being.
    The first sutta you quoted on the other thread from SB is the Avijjia sutta I referred to earlier in this thread.

Here it is again

http://www.dhammaweb.net/Tipitaka/read.php?id=13

As you can see if you read the whole sutta. It is in reality a sutta that confirms the reality of the Brahma and how to reach unity with him. And that the Buddha taugth that to laymen. So how is he being an Atheist doing that?

I read the whole sutta and you have to understand the context. There were two Hindu brahmins arguing about the "true path" to union with Brahma. They then decided to consult the Buddha to see who was right. They were both appealing to the authority of the Hindu gurus as to what the right path to union with Brahma. Union with Brahma is salvation for Hindu's as Nirvana is Salvation for Buddhists. He was simply speaking a language that the brahmins could understand. He wouldn't come out and tell them that, "Sorry, Brahma doesn't exist, your idea of Salvation is wrong. Let me tell you the true meaning of Salvation." No, Buddha wanted to be skillful in teaching them by speaking a language they understand. Thich Nhat Hanh, a Zen master, makes references to "Allah" as Ultimate Reality in his Dharma talks to Israeli and Palestinians. Does that mean Thich Nhat Hanh believes in Allah?

Buddha advised them that they should not rely on the authority of Hindu gurus who have not even seen this Brahma, yet claim to know the path.

The moral of the story is that Buddha suggests that the way to Salvation is not blind belief and blind acceptance of authority. That message alone was enough to teach the Hindu brahmins a lesson.

So no. This sutta does not prove that Buddha taught union with Brahma.
    Could you please post the referrence to the other sutta you quoted from Atheist Buddhist by SB. So I can read it in its entireity please.

I don't know which sutta he references. I just got the quote from the book.

But you are entirely correct that being a buddhist it is difficult to believe in a being that is eternal and flawless in this samsara as many Christians envision Him.

Precisely. Eternalism is considered wrong view.

On more thing

When you say

In conclusion, belief in God or anything of the sort, is NOT compatible with Buddhism! It's a matter of definition and nuances of Buddhist doctrine. A Muslim can't be an Atheist and a Buddhist can't be a Theist. You can be whoever you want to be or believe whatever, but to say you are a Buddhist Theist is to say you are a square-circle. Simple as that!

in the other thread you know you are using the term Theist wrong too? Just to clarify? Theism is not generelly limited to the belife in one Christian God. You do mean Christian monotheism do you not?

No. I refer to any and all conceptions of God. However, all versions of God have certain attributes in common. Eternal, creators, unchanging, omniscience, omnipotent, etc.

If there are beings with superpowers that eventually die and are not responsible for creation, they can't be called "God." Or at least not the Supreme Being that most God believers believe in, whether Christian, Muslim, or Deist.

edited May 2010
    I never implied that Atheist means the rejection of Yahweh. Atheism rejects all forms of God, even the Deist God. Also, Buddha even rejected a Universal Mind or some sort of vague ground of being.

You are forgetting the Nordic, Greek and the Indian gods. But I think I understand what you mean.

And I still think you are wrong in thinking that Buddha rejected a exsistance of a Brahma. He just took him/them down a couple of notches.

I read the whole sutta and you have to understand the context. There were two Hindu brahmins arguing about the "true path" to union with Brahma. They then decided to consult the Buddha to see who was right. They were both appealing to the authority of the Hindu gurus as to what the right path to union with Brahma. Union with Brahma is salvation for Hindu's as Nirvana is Salvation for Buddhists. He was simply speaking a language that the brahmins could understand. He wouldn't come out and tell them that, "Sorry, Brahma doesn't exist, your idea of Salvation is wrong. Let me tell you the true meaning of Salvation." No, Buddha wanted to be skillful in teaching them by speaking a language they understand. Thich Nhat Hanh, a Zen master, makes references to "Allah" as Ultimate Reality in his Dharma talks to Israeli and Palestinians. Does that mean Thich Nhat Hanh believes in Allah?

Hurray. Here we go again, another person argueing that the Buddha is lying or decieving people. I am not going to bother answering that.

Well alright. you know the Buddha more or less turned the Brahmanistic world up side down. Rejected the caste system, rejected animal and human sacrifice. He also argued against the other sramanic schools of his time. Why on earth do you believe the Buddha would have any problem saying that the Brahma does not exist if that is indeed what he wanted to do?

I have never met Thich Nhat Hanh and do not know his opinion but if you want to pull authority then how about Dalai Lama? Do you think he believes in gods?

No. I refer to any and all conceptions of God. However, all versions of God have certain attributes in common. Eternal, creators, unchanging, omniscience, omnipotent, etc.

No they do not. For one thing the Buddhist concept of the Brahman is totally different.
    If there are beings with superpowers that eventually die and are not responsible for creation, they can't be called "God." Or at least not the Supreme Being that most God believers believe in, whether Christian, Muslim, or Deist.

I think you have a very narrow and erranous vision of what a God is and is not.

/Victor
  • edited May 2010
    Victorious wrote: »
    You are forgetting the Nordic, Greek and the Indian gods. But I think I understand what you mean.

And I still think you are wrong in thinking that Buddha rejected a exsistance of a Brahma. He just took him/them down a couple of notches.

He acknowledged the existence of Brahma, yes. But he dismisses Brahma as merely a deva that is deluded for thinking that he is the omnipotent, omniscient, creator God. This is made absolutely clear.

AccesstoInsight: "From a study of the discourses of the Buddha preserved in the Pali canon, it will be seen that the idea of a personal deity, a creator god conceived to be eternal and omnipotent, is incompatible with the Buddha's teachings. On the other hand, conceptions of an impersonal godhead of any description, such as world-soul, etc., are excluded by the Buddha's teachings on Anatta, non-self or unsubstantiality. In Buddhist literature, the belief in a creator god (issara-nimmana-vada) is frequently mentioned and rejected, along with other causes wrongly adduced to explain the origin of the world"

Hurray. Here we go again, another person argueing that the Buddha is lying or decieving people. I am not going to bother answering that.

Since you like to appeal to the Dalai Lama, the Dalai Lama himself said that Buddha taught contradictory philosophies to different people to account for his audiences mental predisposition. It is not lying, nor did I say Buddha was a lyer. That is a strawman on your part. I said that Buddha spoke a language that they could understand. He taught them the path to salvation, but didn't bother debating them about what "true" salvation is.
    Well alright. you know the Buddha more or less turned the Brahmanistic world up side down. Rejected the caste system, rejected animal and human sacrifice. He also argued against the other sramanic schools of his time. Why on earth do you believe the Buddha would have any problem saying that the Brahma does not exist if that is indeed what he wanted to do?

I already explained why. You failed to understand.
    I have never met Thich Nhat Hanh and do not know his opinion but if you want to pull authority then how about Dalai Lama? Do you think he believes in gods?

I am not pulling authority. I was using Thich Nhat Hanh as an example of a teacher using language the audience understands. You think that I implied that since Thich doesn't believe in God, therefore, Buddhism doesn't either. If that's what you imply, this is false and not my argument.

I was saying that even though Thich Nhat Hanh doesn't believe in God, he made reference to Allah when talking about Ultimate Reality to an audience of Muslims. Do you see my point here? He isn't going to speak to a Muslim audience trying to teach them Dharma, by offending them by saying that their Allah doesn't exist. That would create an immediate, knee-jerk reaction and dismissal of Thich Nhat Hanh by the Muslims. He wants to take it easy on them first, before going deeper into the true essence of the Dharma.

No they do not. For one thing the Buddhist concept of the Brahman is totally different.

Brahman is not the equivalent of "God." Brahma is. Brahma is the Supreme Deity, Brahman is like an infinite consciousness, akin to Pantheism.

And if you think Buddhism accepts Brahman, you're wrong. I thought this at first myself, as I too was a Pantheist that believed a similar concept to Brahman.

"The Buddha criticized the Brahmins' theories of an Absolute as yet another reification, instead giving a path to self-perfection as a means of transcending the world of name and form." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhist_philosophy

I think you have a very narrow and erranous vision of what a God is and is not.

/Victor

God cannot mean whatever you want it to mean. You can tell me that "car" means "plane" all you want, but you will still be false. God is eternal, God is omnipotent, God is omniscient, God is a creator.

If I am incorrect, tell me what is the "open minded" version of God that you speak of.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    He isn't going to speak to a Muslim audience trying to teach them Dharma, by offending them by saying that their Allah doesn't exist. That would create an immediate, knee-jerk reaction and dismissal of Thich Nhat Hanh by the Muslims. He wants to take it easy on them first, before going deeper into the true essence of the Dharma.

If only you really understood your own words here. Do you feel you have a skillful behavior on these forums?

Shrugging,

Matt
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    However it is speculation on your part that you know that buddha was doing the same thing as Thich Nhat Hanh. So that is an interpretation which YOU have introduced into the equation. And it is speculation rather than something you know directly.

The reality is that you may be correct. Or NOT. Speculation :rant:
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The title of the thread is "do Buddhists believe in God". Every practitioner I know who has taken formal refuge (representative of Sangha) and lives the practice with every breath, everybody, without exception would give a variation on the same answer. I neither believe nor not believe, it is not the point. If I was attached to the notion of there being a God, that would be something to practice with. If I was attached to the notion of there not being a God, that would be something to practice with.

Transmetaphysical, your absolutist atheistic interperetation of Buddhism is alien (pun intended) to the family of both Mahayana and Theravada practitioners I have shared my whole adult life with.

So that is a good answer to the original question.
    edited May 2010
    He acknowledged the existence of Brahma, yes. But he dismisses Brahma as merely a deva that is deluded for thinking that he is the omnipotent, omniscient, creator God. This is made absolutely clear.

If the Buddha acknowleadged the exsitance of Brahma how can he be a Atheist? Using the word in its true definition. You might want to look up the word in a dictionary before answering.

Since you like to appeal to the Dalai Lama, the Dalai Lama himself said that Buddha taught contradictory philosophies to different people to account for his audiences mental predisposition. It is not lying, nor did I say Buddha was a lyer. That is a strawman on your part. I said that Buddha spoke a language that they could understand. He taught them the path to salvation, but didn't bother debating them about what "true" salvation is.

Really? Where did His Holiness say that? Reference please?

Counciously speaking and using concepts you do not believe to be true as if you do is per definition lying or decieving.

You might want to look up those words in a dictionary too so you understand their true meaning.

I already explained why. You failed to understand.

Do you have any other argument that does not involve the Buddha breaking one of his own precepts (musavada veramani...) ? I will be happy to try and understand what you are saying. Otherwise you will have to forgive my limited intellect not being able to comprehend such a novel idea.

I am not pulling authority. I was using Thich Nhat Hanh as an example of a teacher using language the audience understands. You think that I implied that since Thich doesn't believe in God, therefore, Buddhism doesn't either. If that's what you imply, this is false and not my argument.

That was not my implication.
    I was saying that even though Thich Nhat Hanh doesn't believe in God, he made reference to Allah when talking about Ultimate Reality to an audience of Muslims. Do you see my point here? He isn't going to speak to a Muslim audience trying to teach them Dharma, by offending them by saying that their Allah doesn't exist. That would create an immediate, knee-jerk reaction and dismissal of Thich Nhat Hanh by the Muslims. He wants to take it easy on them first, before going deeper into the true essence of the Dharma.

Hm as I said I have not met TNH. And therfore have no idea what He believes.

These links below seems to indicate he does believe in God and that he finds no objection for a Buddhist to be a Christian (second link).

http://community.livejournal.com/buddhists/682684.html

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/september-19-2003/extended-interview-thich-nhat-hanh/2758/

No I can not see your point. It seems as if you are saying that venerable TNH is also breaking one of the basic five precepts. Since I do not think you are stupid I will assume that is not what you mean.
    Brahman is not the equivalent of "God." Brahma is. Brahma is the Supreme Deity, Brahman is like an infinite consciousness, akin to Pantheism.

Again this is a very narrow definition of God you speak of.
    And if you think Buddhism accepts Brahman, you're wrong. I thought this at first myself, as I too was a Pantheist that believed a similar concept to Brahman.

God cannot mean whatever you want it to mean. You can tell me that "car" means "plane" all you want, but you will still be false. God is eternal, God is omnipotent, God is omniscient, God is a creator.

If I am incorrect, tell me what is the "open minded" version of God that you speak of.

I agree a 100% when you say God cannot mean whatever you want it to mean.

Read this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God

What you speak of is the main notion of God.

Get real man/woman. There are probably as many and varying notions of God as there are people.

/Victor
    edited May 2010
    The title of the thread is "do Buddhists believe in God". Every practitioner I know who has taken formal refuge (representative of Sangha) and lives the practice with every breath, everybody, without exception would give a variation on the same answer. I neither believe nor not believe, it is not the point. If I was attached to the notion of there being a God, that would be something to practice with. If I was attached to the notion of there not being a God, that would be something to practice with.

Transmetaphysical, your absolutist atheistic interperetation of Buddhism is alien (pun intended) to the family of both Mahayana and Theravada practitioners I have shared my whole adult life with.

I agree totally. Leave God be.

/Victor
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think Trans that you are forgetting something very important that the Buddha also said,

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

It does not matter if he said he believed in god(s) or didn't ... He is telling every practitioner of Buddhism to decide for themselvesbased on their own observations and analysis and its agreeance to their reason and that they can see that it is beneficial to all that they should accept it and live up to it...

Christianity, when practiced properly is good and is for the benefit of all... I have a hard time accepting this sometimes as I harbor some bias based on some of the acts done in Christianities name, but I am slowly coming to realize that those things i have issue with are not the outcome of Christianity but by individuals who were not following Christ's teachings properly... As for standing up to ones reason, well... who can measure that? Is my reason better than yours or visa versa?

The belief of god(s) or not is not a concern to Buddhists, we practice for ourselves and our own enlightenment... When we start telling others that what they believe is wrong or right we risk sounding like Christian Puritanists (which nobody likes :-))

Stop worrying what others believe... It has no bearing on your own attainment of Enlightenment, where as your clinging to your need to have everyone believe that "to be a Buddhist is to not believe in a god" does.

Let go and you will be one step closer to enlightenment.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Blah blah blah... Didn't read all of it, if's it's resolved: good. If not: do I have to repeat myself?

All the best
    Nickidoodle
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Thank-you for sharing your wisdom with us Nickidoodle
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I always feel that the problem with this question is that it is an attempt to understand Buddhism through the filter of Christian theology.
    As music teacher I would compare it to wanting to learn to play piano by studying guitar technique.

Buddhism isn't about God, so there is no Buddhist answer to the question. If one wants to learn about God, study a religion that is about God, if one wants to learn about Buddhism, study Buddhism. (note I said "study"...I am not suggesting one cannot "practice" belief in God and Buddhism)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    Liked that Sunset analogy and the lack of communication bit, esteemed Zenmonk Genryu!

Really like this thread, have been following. Thought I'd finally put a word in.

One of my favorite bedside books is a Japanese Buddhist book put out by Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai --Society for the Promotion of Buddhism (English on the left-hand page, Japanese on the right). It has basic Buddhist texts, but I've often wondered if it was influenced by Christianity, because the Buddha is presented in a very Christian way. Is there a deistic trend in some popular Japanese Buddhism?

"Do not think that the compassion of the Buddha is only for the present life; it is a manifestation of the timeless compassion of the eternal Buddha that has been operative since unknown time, when mankind went astray due to ignorance." -P 30 (Sounds theistic to me, an entity with great benign powers welling from timeless eternity.)

Also all this talk about "saving all people" throughout the book --reminds me of Jesus.

Can anyone, will anybody, weigh in on this book for me? Maybe it's just me, having grown up Catholic, but it's Christianity-plus to me.
    Sorry for the tacky double post...I made the mistake (I'm doing it again here :o ) of posting before reading the entire thread

Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai is very influenced by Jodo Shinshu, which is a Japanese sect of Pure Land Buddhism, and by a large measure the most popular form of Buddhism in Japan.
    "Teaching of Buddha" is really a sort of readers digest condensed version of all the sutras/suttas, but because the founder of BDK was very influenced by Pure Land he devoted a fairly sizable amount of the book to Pure Land teachings.
    (I think the story is he was a wealthy industrialist who came down with incurable tuberculosis. He decided to go spend the rest of his life in a Jodo Shinshu Temple. After a time he started to feel better and upon seeing a Doctor was told he was completely healed. He felt that it was his time in the Temple that healed him and so he established BDK in gratitude...I could be wrong on some details)

The sections of "Teaching of Buddha" you are referring too come from the Larger sutra on immeasurable life, the Contemplation Sutra, and the Amida sutra. In each of these sutras The Buddha talks about a transcendant Buddha by the name of Amitabha/Amitayus (transliterated in Japanese as Amida) which means "infinite light and life". Amida Buddha, in a desire to save all beings, manifested a "Pure Land" called "Sukhavati" (Utmost Bliss or perfect Happiness) where people can be born after physical death, and attain perfect enlightenment. All that is required to be born into this land is a sincere desire for birth, and reciting Amida's name as little as ten times. This is done with the phrase "Namo Amithabha Buddha" or in Japanese "Namu Amida Butsu", ..in Chinese "Namo Amitoufu"

Namu/Namo means "I take refuge in" or "Homage to" or in this case "I am embraced by" is also a good interpretation. In Jodo Shinshu this is not really a mantra, but rather an expression of gratitude that we are embraced by perfectly Awakened infinite light and life, even if we are unable to see it directly due to our blind passions.
    Some Pure Land traditions recommend reciting this many many times each day as a form of meditation, but in Jodo Shinshu that is not necessary. One sincere recitation is fine. Of course if you are moved to recite more that is fine too.

Now this does appear on the surface to be rather Christian-like, and indeed there are some Pure Land Buddhists who take it very literally.
    Most people in Jodo Shinshu do not take it literally and instead view Amida as a personification of enlightenment...of Suchness, or absolute reality. Again, his name really means 'Perfectly Awakened infinite Light and Life"
    And so by entrusting ourselves to perfectly awakened infinite light and life we are born into a state of perfect bliss.
    An important part of this is the idea of "Other power" as opposed to 'Self Power". This again can appear to be "Higher power" and Christian-like. However really it is the same as the idea of "Letting go"...letting go of ego.

The question can be asked why would the Buddha talk about a personification of suchness? Does this not seem to be at odds with his other teachings?
    In the contemplation Sutra (a bit of a dramatic story involving a King and Queen and their power thirsty son...spurred on by Shakyamuni's nasty cousin...however within this drama the Buddha tells the Queen in detail of a method of visualisation meditation on Amida and the Pure Land) Buddha talks about the idea that our minds take the shape of the things we contemplate. So if we contemplate the mind of a Buddha, our minds take the shape of a Buddha mind.

For myself I think Amida and the pure Land are real (because I think True reality/Suchness and Nirvana are real)...but they are described in a way people of that time and station in life could relate too. As Shinran (founder of Jodo Shinshu sect) said "The true Buddha is formless". Amida is presented with name and form for the sake of people unable to contemplate the formless.

Now the obvious question would be is "Amida the same as God?"
    For me the answer is no more or less than "is Suchness the same thing as God?" for my answer to that see my post above.

However even if we were to take Amida as a literal thing, there are at least three important differences
    1. Amida is not the creator
    2. Amida is not a judge handing out punishment for bad people
    3. Amida does not perform miracles or intercede in our lives if we pray to him.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Maybe Transmetaphysical just wants to hear us say "you are right". If so, I will bite...You are right Transmeta, no if's no but's, I agree with you, Buddhism and God don't mix. There you go, now you can let it go.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2010
    If my understanding of the Dharma is correct, and please correct me if anyone thinks I am wrong, the universe has always been in existence since beginningless time, so there is no creator god in Buddhism. However if a sentient beings positive karma comes to fruition then they can be reborn in a God like state in which they live a long life full of happiness and pleasure, However this state exists in samsara and hence does not last forever, also If I understand right, a being born in this state cannot attain enlightenment ( please correct me if I am wrong), hence eventually they must die once there positive karma has been exhausted and be reborn into a lower state. So Gods can exist and every sentient beings has most likely being one in the past and has the possibility to be one in the future. However from a spiritual point of view a human state is the truly blessed state as it has the potential if directed on the noble eight fold path to allow a being to attain enlightenment.
  • edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    There is no reason one can't practice Christianity and also practice Buddhism. On a very profound level, once you get past all the god and jesus stuff, they're the same anyway.

I definitely agree with the first sentence, but the second sentence is quite surprising to say the least. It is possible -though unconventional- to practice the eightfold path, and continue Christian practices at the same time. For example, one can observe the five precepts and the ten commandments, because there is no contradiction between them; in fact there is some overlap. Or one can go to church, pray to Jesus, and also engage in vipassana or samatha meditation. Again, no contradiction.

But can one "get past all the God and Jesus stuff" and still consider oneself Christian? I don't think this is possible. There wouldn't be much left of Christianity if one takes God and Jesus out of the equation (...obviously just the Holy Ghost...:)). It's is a bit like taking the four noble truths and dependent origination out of the Buddhist equation. Ultimately, one has to accept that Buddhism and Christianity -while having some similarities- are doctrinally incompatible.

However, it could be argued that on a very profound level, that is to say on the supramundane level, Buddhism and Christianity lead to the same destination. This destination is called "nirvana" by Buddhism and "God communion" by Christianity.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited May 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    ...please correct me if anyone thinks I am wrong, the universe has always been in existence since beginningless time...

So Gods can exist and every sentient beings has most likely being one in the past and has the possibility to be one in the future....

I agree with almost everything, except the part about "always been in existence" and "sentient beings most likely having been gods". The operative term for samsara is beginningless, which is not the same as eternal. It does not imply infinity, but beginningless like in a circle where it is impossible to point out a beginning. A circle is a finite structure, but its circumference doesn't have beginning. It could be argued that because the creation of world systems is beyond spacetime, concepts such as spatial or temporal infinity don't apply. The question whether sentient beings have or have not been gods in previous existences cannot be answered for this reason.

Cheers, Thomas
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    But can one "get past all the God and Jesus stuff" and still consider oneself Christian? I don't think this is possible. There wouldn't be much left of Christianity if one takes God and Jesus out of the equation (...obviously just the Holy Ghost...:)). It's is a bit like taking the four noble truths and dependent origination out of the Buddhist equation. Ultimately, one has to accept that Buddhism and Christianity -while having some similarities- are doctrinally incompatible.

Thomas,

I think it would be closer to say "once you get past all the noble truths, Jesus, DO, and God, you see its all just the same thing anyway." I think at some point along the path, the inner wisdom is rooted enough that you sit in communion will all four of those things, no matter what tradition you're from.

With warmth,

Matt
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yes, the essence is what's important. Jesus was a great bodhisattva, imho, and like any bodhisattva he points to the truth. He isn't the truth. The truth, like the Tao, is beyond definitions and characterizations. It just is.

Palzang
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I agree with almost everything, except the part about "always been in existence" and "sentient beings most likely having been gods". The operative term for samsara is beginningless, which is not the same as eternal. It does not imply infinity, but beginningless like in a circle where it is impossible to point out a beginning. A circle is a finite structure, but its circumference doesn't have beginning. It could be argued that because the creation of world systems is beyond spacetime, concepts such as spatial or temporal infinity don't apply. The question whether sentient beings have or have not been gods in previous existences cannot be answered for this reason.
    Cheers, Thomas
    Point taken Thomas, Maybe I should have rephrased it to make a short answer long. That is to say that as a Buddhist I believe that the universe has existed since time without beginning. Here time is broken down into four ‘aeons’, incredibly long periods of time lasting millions and millions of years. The first aeon is the ‘aeon of creation’, where things are just coming into existence. Then comes the ‘aeon of abiding’, where things have reached a kind of maturity and there is stability in the universe. Third comes the ‘aeon of destruction’, where things start to get worse and worse until everything is destroyed. Finally, there is the aeon of space or ‘nothingness’, where there is nothing but darkness. It is out of this darkness that the next universe appears, in yet another ‘aeon of creation.
    Also as a Buddhist I believe that the mind does not suddenly appear at some point in time. For a Buddhist this is impossible because you cannot have a ‘first moment’ of mind, a moment that is not the result of a previous moment. Look at any moment of mind, of ‘consciousness’, or ‘awareness’. If you search for where it came from, you can see that it came from the previous moment of mind. Every moment of mind, comes out of a previous moment of mind and, at the same time, is the cause of the next moment. So each moment of mind is, at the same time, both ‘cause’ (of the next moment) and ‘result’ (of the previous moment). All moments
    of mind are therefore both cause and result. Hence because each moment of mind is both cause and result, it is impossible for there to have been a first ‘causal’ moment of mind: it too, must be the result of a previous moment of mind. Therefore, since it is impossible for there to have been a first moment of mind, the mind, like the universe is beginningless.
    Phew I'll stop and take a deep breath now.
    Happiness and peace to all
  • edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Yes, the essence is what's important. Jesus was a great bodhisattva, imho, and like any bodhisattva he points to the truth. He isn't the truth. The truth, like the Tao, is beyond definitions and characterizations. It just is.

Palzang

You still can't say that Christianity and Buddhism are compatible. Just because the historical Jesus of the Gnostics taught some very similar things to Buddhism, doesn't mean the religion of Christianity and all its doctrines are similar as well. Jesus =/= Christianity. The main tenets of Christianity completely contradict Buddhist philosophy. Saviors, creators, eternalism, souls, divine command, etc. And I'd say that is quite the essence of Christianity. If you take all that out, what is there left?

(I also don't feel that Christianity is compatible with Jesus. I have formally debated the topic that "Christianity is an Attack on Jesus Christ.")

• edited May 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Maybe Transmetaphysical just wants to hear us say "you are right". If so, I will bite...You are right Transmeta, no if's no but's, I agree with you, Buddhism and God don't mix. There you go, now you can let it go.

No. Not at all. I don't want people to just say I'm right. I want true understanding. I would prefer to be wrong, as long as things are understood properly.

• edited May 2010

Atheism is foreign to Mahayana? What do you call this?

"The gods are all eternal scoundrels
    Incapable of dissolving the suffering of impermanence.
    Those who serve them and venerate them
    May even in this world sink into a sea of sorrow
    We know the gods are false and have no concrete being;
    Therefore the wise man believes them not
    The fate of the world depends on causes and conditions
    Therefore the wise man may not rely on gods."
    -- Nagarjuna (Mahayana Patriarch)

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I'll be a good boy and just let you implode.;)
  • edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    I think Trans that you are forgetting something very important that the Buddha also said,

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

Oh? I'm the one forgetting it? That's my favorite Sutta, so to tell me I'm forgetting it, is both arrogant and false.
    It does not matter if he said he believed in god(s) or didn't ... He is telling every practitioner of Buddhism to decide for themselvesbased on their own observations and analysis and its agreeance to their reason and that they can see that it is beneficial to all that they should accept it and live up to it...

I know. I never told anyone to disbelieve in God because Buddha said. I'm simply trying to make clear that Buddha disbelieved God and such belief is incompatible with Buddhism. My point is that if a Buddhist began believing in God, they have just parted ways with Buddhism and onto the Deist path or Christian path, etc. And they have every right to do so and believe it. But the distinctions between what you call such belief must be made clear.
    Christianity, when practiced properly is good and is for the benefit of all... I have a hard time accepting this sometimes as I harbor some bias based on some of the acts done in Christianities name, but I am slowly coming to realize that those things i have issue with are not the outcome of Christianity but by individuals who were not following Christ's teachings properly... As for standing up to ones reason, well... who can measure that? Is my reason better than yours or visa versa?

Buddha said "after observation and analysis"? Have God believers OBSERVED and ANALYZED God? I would say a resounding "no."
    The belief of god(s) or not is not a concern to Buddhists, we practice for ourselves and our own enlightenment... When we start telling others that what they believe is wrong or right we risk sounding like Christian Puritanists (which nobody likes :-))

That wasn't particularly my intent with my assertion of Buddha as an atheist. My intent is to show that God in Buddhism is like saying "square-circle." It's a direct contradiction and not compatible.
    Stop worrying what others believe... It has no bearing on your own attainment of Enlightenment, where as your clinging to your need to have everyone believe that "to be a Buddhist is to not believe in a god" does.

I always have an urgent need to "set the record straight."
    Let go and you will be one step closer to enlightenment.

No one can tell another how to reach enlightenment. Everyone is a light unto themselves.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    No. Not at all. I don't want people to just say I'm right. I want true understanding. I would prefer to be wrong, as long as things are understood properly.

A previous member called MatSalted was banned for very much this reason.

I would respectfully suggest - and I do mean, respectfully and emphatically suggest - you quit insisting everyone else have true understanding simply because you believe you have the true understanding you truly feel they should understand - and let things lie.
    Threads like this have a habit of disappearing up their own backsides.
    If you wish to continue arguing the point, I would suggest that those who do, do so via PMs.
    I think this thread has just about gone as far as it can.
    The amount of hot air floating around threads like these has been much in evidence lately. It's getting so stuffy here it's almost exhausting.
    Really, some folks should know when to quit.

If any of you have anything really worth-while and earth-shatteringly significant and ground-breaking to add, do let me know. I'll consider re-opening based on the post content.
    Otherwise, Goodnight all, and thank you for participating.
This discussion has been closed.