Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Advice to a newcomer

You are sifting through the latest posts on newbuddhist and run across a thread started by a new Buddhist. (Please note the cute use of new Buddhist in two different ways - I worked hard on that) She or he has read "In the Buddha's Words", "What the Buddha Taught" as well as "What the Buddha Didn't Teach" and a few hundred others. They've tried their hand at meditation and have developed a practice. They're ready to commit to a more intensive practice but they're looking for direction. What do you tell them?

So far, I've picked up rather consistent advice to hang on to those things that are universal amongst all traditions. i.e. 4NT, 8FP. On the other hand, I've seen folks come around and ask about the four Noble Truths and be told that it is a rather advanced teaching to begin with. Okay, scratch the 4NT. Moving on, how about that meditation practice? I've been told that I could meditate more...and it's been suggested that perhaps I'm spending too much time in meditation and escaping. Cool, moving on again...eightfold path... okay...

Ultimately, the question is this: I've got an hour a day to devote to my Buddhist practice. How would you recommend it be spent to make the best use of time? How about two hours a day? Three?

Jeffrey

Comments

• yagryagr Veteran

@karasti I knew that at least a part of your practice was going to include coming to this thread and responding. Thanks; you're awesome AND insightful and occasionally make me lol :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

LOL it is indeed part of my practice! I think I probably learn more from talking through my own stuff on here than anything some days ;)

yagr
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

@federica said:
    Your whole day IS your practice. You cannot separate '.practice' from 'day'

Those are the most important words I think for me to remember and I imagine any one of us. Mindfulness isn't a "pinch hitter". For me it requires a sustained effort...perhaps until it doesn't. Keeping it simple also is as good at the beginning as it is now years later for me.

Probably why I like JKZ much .... Bob

yagrsova
  • yagryagr Veteran

@Federica - you are right, of course. The whole day is my practice. What I think I should have said is: If one has an hour or two or three or... to commit to learning things that they can take forward into their day and practice...

But of course, that's probably not quite accurate either - but it's closer. For instance, I practice right speech throughout the day to the extent that I understand the concept. Could I understand it better? No doubt. Do I know enough about it to continue practicing and move on to something else (this incidentally, while true, is simply an example). Anywho, I do get the point you made about not being able to separate the two - and it's a good point, one that was worth reminding me of. Thanks!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

In other words...it's all the same.

Whether I'm washing dishes, or your reading a teaching, or Aunt Fede is cooking, or lobster is pillow shopping, or karasti is doing yoga......we should be practicing what meditation teaches us in the moment of all the moments.

... :) ...

yagrBuddhadragonsova
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

When considering two views hold to the primary view. The primary view is how it seems to you. In the end it's all up to you. You make choices. The sangha is heterogenious even in Buddhas time I would venture.

In my opinion I would get a taste from meditation as the first thing. The reason is that you grew up in western culture. Meditation is your own experience. You cannot go wrong. It is always meditation. I would work my way up to 30 minutes each and every day.

yagrlobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@yagr said:
    They're ready to commit to a more intensive practice but they're looking for direction. What do you tell them?

Go see a real life teacher. That is precisely what they are there for, to give direction. :)

lobsteryagrsova
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@seeker242 said: Go see a real life teacher. That is precisely what they are there for, to give direction. :)

>

Nonsense. Every one you meet is a potential Teacher. Real life itself is the best teacher of all.
    Simply because a person is, or calls themselves a teacher, is no indication of their 'better-than-most' value....

MeisterBobBuddhadragonyagr
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@yagr said:
    Ultimately, the question is this: I've got an hour a day to devote to my Buddhist practice. How would you recommend it be spent to make the best use of time? How about two hours a day? Three?

This morning just after dawn I cycled to central London to make sure Big Ben was still binging. As I cycled down my street, an early morning Moslem wearing bright yellow (probably just finished morning prayers), was staring at me intently. I stared back, he said, 'Good Morning', I said 'Good Morning'. One of us was on their way to a YinYana Buddhist retreat with hours of 'practice'. I have a feeling it was me and as well as internet connection and all mod cons, I will have several hours of formal practice . . .

With a mere hour, I would probably just meditate. With two, some yoga, some mantra, added. With three - mindful sunbathing, gardening or photographing . . .

Buddha set up, incense burning, time to be formal . . . :wave: . . .

OM YA HA HUM

BuddhadragonInvincible_summer
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster: In exchange for that very beautiful picture of London, I'll pin you a picture of my meditation cushion...

lobsteryagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Nice little altar.... Here's mine....

BuddhadragonVastmindlobsteryagr
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Ah shrines xxx

thanks guys for sharing, shrine building is a form of devotional intention, another great 'formal practice'

We haz Tara (aka Buddha Babe) Ganesha and his dangly bit. For Hindus and Buddhists it is reverential to comment on the excellent size of the elephantines ones belly . . . Also noticed the Weeping Buddha. Hotty Maitreya, another belly deity, eating up dukkha . . . I have one of those. Weeping Buddha reminds me of Marvin the paranoid Android. 'Life, don't talk to me about life . . . etc'

http://buddhafulliving.com/weeping-buddha/

I will post a pic of my retreat shrine soon. For now here is a pic proving that the streets of London really are made of gold . . . taken in Covent Garden . . . originally a Convent Garden . . . I think I may have found the way to the Emerald City or some Pureland

. . . and a pic of Bodhi Boudicca, a Celtic Princess and early Suffragette.

yagrBuddhadragon
    edited May 2014

Ah, Boudicca, or Boadicea as she is also known... Described in Grigson's History of Ancient Britain as, 'tall, majestic with flaming hair, of solid stature and an imposing wilful temperament: in short, a Red-haired, square-jawed bitch.'

Mind you if I had been tortured by the Romans, tied naked to a frame in freezing weather, and made to watch my daughters being repeatedly raped by soldiers, I might be a little hacked off myself....

yagrlobsteranataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

That be one ugly image..Federica!

edited May 2014

That be history, @how.... The Romans took umbrage at her audacity. St. Albans (Verulamium) inHertfordshire, where I used to live, was one of the settlements she destroyed, but in revenge for what the Romans had already wreaked on her tribe and kinsfolk....

(found a better narrative)
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=gUt2U43zPMztPIC1gOgO&url=http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/war-and-conflict/pre-20th-century-conflict/tra22669&cd=5&ved=0CDcQFjAE&usg=AFQjCNHlgEbcAMc5J3rTKIfor7GkUBjlow&sig2=2FOGSB3_AzMbpA1OujXX0Q

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I am very new to Buddhism, I have had very little guidance in this practice. I bought lots of books and spend about two hours studying.
    I have realised a lot intellectually but it only is really understood during meditation. Maybe others can do otherwise but I need to quiet my mind. If I had an hour a day, I would meditate.

I study while I walk the dog (audio), I meditate working towards an hour a day. But I TOTALLY agree that every single present moment is your practice. This is hard for me but loving the journey. Go well!

JeffreyBuddhadragonsovammo
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited May 2014

@yagr said:

>

Having available time is quite a gift, cherish every minute of it. Instead of worrying about what to do with that time, just use them with the family.

I suggest taking at least one hour for meditation and practice. If you can sit in meditation for an hour each time, and can do it once to twice a day, then I envy you because I can barely get in an hour in each day.

Buddhadragon
  • yagryagr Veteran

@seeker242 said:

True! But at the same time, there are Buddhist teachers out there that have already been through what we have not yet. They have already learned what we have not yet. They actually are wiser than we are. More advanced on the path than we are, etc. They can give good guidance, wise advice and proper direction. Especially so when a person is looking for more guidance and direction. :)

I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that I am a member of a twelve step program. Occasionally, the opportunity comes to do what is called twelve step work - helping a new person take their first steps into sobriety. It has been said that a fellow with one day sobriety can help the new man walking through the door because he has learned how to stay sober for one day.

It's really the point of my post. Perhaps no one on this site is a fully enlightened - or realizes that they are. :) But that doesn't mean they don't have something to teach all the same. There are folks on this site who have traveled further than I and "they can give good guidance, wise advice and proper direction. Especially so when a person is looking for more guidance and direction."

JeffreyBuddhadragonseeker242
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    Simply because a person is, or calls themselves a teacher, is no indication of their 'better-than-most' value....

This is true, in fact it can be worse . . . a misguided, delusional, well meaning or useless but perhaps knowledgeable person can be a hindrance. We MUST learn discernment, critical analysis and the truth behind implied realized or advanced status.

The realized person does not want to fill our head with replacement nonsense, impress us, be our surrogate friend, parent or dummy substitute. They want us to be independently realised yesterday, rather than tomorrow. Why?

Picnics in hell, new realms to uncover . . . to boldly go where no Bodhi has gone before . . .

Watch out for the crocs . . .

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

A guru is actually the only true friend. All the other friends don't help you develop your practice (in general). One translation of Lama is 'spiritual friend'. Then there is the quote by Buddha to Ananda that the whole of Buddhism is friendship,

There is a very often-quoted saying in the scriptures on spiritual friendship. One day Ananda, his closest disciple, came up to the Buddha and said: 'Lord, I think that half of the of the Holy Life is spiritual friendship, association with the Lovely.' And the Buddha replied: 'That's not so; say not so, Ananda. It is not half of the Holy Life, it is the whole of the Holy Life.

The entire Holy Life is friendship, association with the Lovely.' Now, the Pali word for 'friendship with the Lovely' is kalyanamitta. 'Kalyana' means 'lovely' or beautiful and 'mitta' means 'friend'. So it is often translated as association or affiliation with the Lovely (with a capital L), being an epithet for Ultimate Reality or the Unconditioned.

It is interesting that for years I always used to quote it as: 'Spiritual friendship is the whole of the Holy Life', but the Buddha was making a play on words - he was also saying that it is not just having spiritual friends that is the whole of the Holy Life, but our affiliation, our intimacy with the Lovely, with the Ultimate Truth. These two support each other. Our like-minded companions and associates in spiritual life support our effort, but it is actually our ability to awaken to that which is truly Lovely, to the Wonderful, to Ultimate Reality - that is, in its own way, the very fire of our spiritual life.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha028.htm

lobsterBuddhadragon