Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Acceptance and motivation

I'm somewhat new to Buddhism, and as I'm learning more I'm finding that I am being bothered by the idea of acceptance. I feel that maybe I'm not informed enough on the matter. If we are to just accept things as they are , where does the motivation for positive change and progress come from ? Also, can anyone offer any good pointers on material that will make it easier for me to not only
learn about Buddhist philosophy, but give me ideas on how to practice it in my everyday life ? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Thank you, I think I am understanding it more clearly now.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited October 2014

@samson What I said is just a really broad (and scant) overview though, so you'll definitely want to follow that link and look for more stuff to read! It's one thing to say what Buddhism is about, and another thing to actually delve into specifics and apply effort toward bringing about real change in your life based on Buddhist teachings.

samson
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited October 2014

That is a very good question, very relevant. It's hard to articulate what acceptance means. It's more about acknowledging 'what is', and has little or nothing to do with whether or not you like it.

You can be in a situation that is 'all wrong' and be in full acceptance that it is happening while planning for a change.

I think 'acceptance' in the "Buddhist sense" is more about being HONEST and refraining from self-delusion. It can be hard to let go of wishful thinking. Sometimes we don't want to know how destructive something is, we'd rather just see what we want to see. Acceptance is accepting 'what is' no matter what we want it to be. We delude ourselves without even trying to.

samson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It prompted me to respond in a new thread of my making. Specifically, the second post....

samson
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

What @federica said in her other thread. You should actively try and change a situation with wisdom and compassion however, if you can't, accept it with wisdom and compassion!

JeffreyBuddhadragon
  • You should accept what is here but that doesn't preclude any kind of change. Buddhism says there is no such thing that has no change!

samson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2014

Hello :wave: .

where does the motivation for positive change and progress come from

Suffering or Dukkha [shudder] - call me old fashioned but just don't like that stuff . . . don't find it acceptable BUT I allow for its inevitably . . . you might say I accept the 4NT (four Noble Truths) . . .

samson
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2014

This also brings to a little divide in ideology. Some Buddhists say we are empty of character thus we can change to goodness no matter. Some Buddhists say our underlying nature is goodness (see shrimala devi and ratnogotravibhafa sutras) and we need to uncover the goodness.

samson
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited October 2014

In discussing acceptance, I like to consider extreme emotions. If you consider the following example:

Most of us would be absolutely terrified to find ourselves crammed into a box like this. You can feel the panic just thinking about it. Do you really believe these two girls were naturally able to deal with the panic and mental strain without practice? And the practice that would be required, means training oneself to accept the feeling of panic, and learn how to make peace with that fear.

Acceptance like that, makes one's mind incredibly resilient. The more one is able to accept adversity, the stronger their mind is. The youtube example demonstrates how practicing with acceptance gave these young ladies phenomenal strength.

samsonfedericasilver
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Unfortunately, in Thailand the phenomenon of acceptance of what is happening in one's life is often taken to the extreme by the Buddhist culture there. It ties in with the "mai pben rai" attitude so often expressed by Thais. It has led to a retarded national attitude toward improving life (such as not improving working conditions that all too often lead to life-long disabilities, poverty, etc.).

samson
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Indeed, @vinlyn‌. I found my own personal attitude more in line with the Hindu attitude of "it is what it is, it's your destiny, just live with it."
    That is the thought-process that has perpetuated the caste system in India, and kept many countless people in abject poverty.
    A state that many, in the lower castes are now rebelling against, due to education, 'enlightenment' (via the web and information being far more readily available).

Changing my mind-set....

vinlyn
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Buddhism is about acceptance of the things we cannot change.

But Theravada teacher Phra Prayudh Payutto has an interesting theory about wisely applying the concepts of dependent origination into our lives: if effects hint at causes, it means we can also be the cause of the effects we want to see happening in our lives.

So choose wisely what you would like your life to be like, be as proactive as you can about it, but accept stoically those adverse circumstances that don't depend on you.

samsonsilver
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2014

@samson said:
    I'm somewhat new to Buddhism, and as I'm learning more I'm finding that I am being bothered by the idea of acceptance. I feel that maybe I'm not informed enough on the matter. If we are to just accept things as they are , where does the motivation for positive change and progress come from ? Also, can anyone offer any good pointers on material that will make it easier for me to not only
    learn about Buddhist philosophy, but give me ideas on how to practice it in my everyday life ? Thanks in advance.

Accepting things as they are is also to accept that we can effect change.

If Buddha just accepted things as they are and decided on indifference, he would have rotted under that tree.

Do not be too set on the results you want because although we can guide change to an extent, we can not completely control what we set in motion.

Be mindful and temper your compassion with wisdom and temper your wisdom with compassion. If one is out of step with the other, there is a problem.

samsonlobsterBuddhadragonsilver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Wowie, @ourself, that was an impressive and inspiring post.