Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Help with Meditation FAQS please

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited November 2014 in Meditation

Working on a meditation FAQS, mostly on sitting, for my blog. Any helpful Q: and A: welcome . . .
Thanks in advance . . . (*) Early days . . . first draft below . . .

Meditation FAQS

Q: What is meditation?
A: Attentive awareness.
Meditation turns your attention to your experience. It may involve focusing on the breath, on bodily sensations, or a word or phrase. Meditation brings your attention away from distracting thoughts and focuses on the present moment. http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/fl/What-Is-Meditation.htm

Q: Will it lead to health and stress relief?
A: Yes but so will exercise, yoga, Tai Chi and sex. Often more directly.

Q: Why meditate?
A: Meditation is the ‘rocket fuel’ of interior development in the dharmic religions (Hinduism, Jainism, Sikhism and Buddhism). Meditation is also being actively implemented by some contemplative traditions in the Abrahamic religions, Occult and new age schools and individually by secular, therapeutic and medicinal advocates.

Q: Can I dabble?
A: Sure. Try yoga nidra, led meditations, hypnosis, visualisation and chanting.

Q: I want to go hardcore.
A: … and so to sitting practice …

Mr Cushion FAQS

Q: What can I expect?
A: Expect Nothing. Achieve everything.

Q: Who has developed, refined and taught the best techniques?
A: The Buddhists. Often borrowing from or influencing other traditions.

Q: Do I have to be a Buddhist to practise with them or use their skill set?
A: No. Some visualisations, chanting and practices may use specific Buddhist orientated methodolgies. You can sit without participating.

Q: Do I need a cushion?
A: No. However it is recommended.

Q: Can I meditate in a chair, moving or lying down?
A: Yes. Google the ‘Egyptian pose’, ‘walking meditation’ and ‘yoga nidra’.

Q: How do I sit?
A: Google is your friend. Youtube is upon us.

Q: How long should I sit for?
A: A couple of decades would be a good start.

o:)

ZenshinSarahTrohitBuddhadragonanatamanNomaDBuddha

Comments

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited November 2014

Nothing to add @lobster but the Mr Cushion FAQ was awesome, especially the last one.

• You forgot that speaking with republicans in facebook equals bengali tea boy for meditation!

anataman
  • Q: How long should I sit for?

o:)

:D

Nerimaanataman
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I think the answer to what is meditation could be more explanatory, someone asking that question would likely be pretty clueless on the subject.

lobster
  • Bit more explanation added . . .

Q: What is meditation?
    A: Attentive awareness.
    Meditation turns your attention to your experience. It may involve focusing on the breath, on bodily sensations, or a word or phrase. Meditation brings your attention away from distracting thoughts and focuses on the present moment. http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/fl/What-Is-Meditation.htm

person
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"Help with Meditation FAQS please"

Wouldn't more cushion time help solve the problem @lobster ? o:):D

SarahTlobsterWonderingSeeker
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    Meditation turns your attention to your experience. It may involve focusing on the breath, on bodily sensations, or a word or phrase. Meditation brings your attention away from distracting thoughts and focuses on the present moment.

http://psychology.about.com/od/statesofconsciousness/fl/What-Is-Meditation.htm

I liked your brief definition above. The article is quite good, though I found their distinction between "concentrative" meditation and "non-directive" meditation quite muddled.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    Q: How long should I sit for?

For the newbies, you should probably make it clear that the "couple of decades" span is not meant to be done in one sitting... :)

lobstersilver
  • The article is quite good, though I found their distinction between "concentrative" meditation and "non-directive" meditation quite muddled.

Good point.

One is attending to an awareness and the other, aware of ones attention. They are subtle distinctions. Maybe too subtle initially.

Might be an idea to answer common start up questions . . .

Getting started. Common situations.

Q: Why is it hard?
    A: You are trying too hard, too long, too uptight, too soon. When stressed or needing a break nearly everyone will say 'give me a break, just need to sit down for a while'. Everyone benefits from sitting still for a few moments and taking some deep breaths. Still too hard? Try yoga or prostrations before walking meditation.

Q: Which is the best meditation?
    A: The regular one.

Q: I can only sit for five minutes
    A: That is five one minute meditations. Twice a day it is 10 minutes. Time is measured by regular intervals. Meditation is called practice because that is where it starts.

Q: What if my situation is too busy, noisy, crowded etc? I just can't.
    A: All problems have solutions. Part of the reason for joining a virtual or actual community is for advisement.

Q: Something is stopping me. What is it?
    A: You. You will come across 'you' all the time in meditation. You can befriend the you's or think they are an enemy . . .

Q: I don't like meditating, nothing seems to happen?
    A: 'Not liking' happens.

Jeffrey
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Some mention of the usefulness/uselessness of intellectual pastimes such as reading, discussing, etc.

I always liked the piano analogy: You can read a ton of books, gather a ton of knowledgeable observations, but reading about piano playing and playing the piano remain very different things.

• Concentrating now on cushion based meditation . . .

Q: What is the best hand position often referred to as Mudra?
    A: It is quite common for people to use comfortable positions. The Buddha is often depicted with one hand on the other. These are sometime taught as gender specific. The left hand on top for women and the right for men. No idea what is best for bisexual, gay or transgender individuals. See what works for you. Hands facing down on the knees is quite common. In yoga, mudra tend to be more open. For beginners the subtleties are not very important.

Q: What is the best type of cushion?
    A: Anything that provides firm support and lifts the pelvis approximately ten centimetres.

Q: Is the lotus posture or half lotus essential?
    A: No. These come from the yogic tradition and can provide a firm base or unnecessary knee strain. Completely unnecessary unless one is used to such postures through culture, tradition or quasi magical superstitions about how the body works. The tailor posture is quite sufficient if sitting on a cushion. Be comfortable.

Q: Can one kneel?
    A: Yes. There is a kneeling stool available or one can easily be made. Another aid to kneeling is to use a pillow under the buttocks. Unless culturally disposed and used to this mode of sitting or very young/flexible it can be painful. It is common in Japanese Zen practice. Sitting in a painful posture releases endorphins and is a form of sadomasochism.

Q: Can one sit in a chair?
    A: Yes. Sitting in a chair might well become the Western norm.

Q: Should the eyes be opened or closed?
    A: Varies. Many advocate the eyes open and lightly focused on a spot about half a meter ahead. The advantage is lessening any form of internal dialogue. Closed eyed posture tend to be more useful when the monkey mind and drifting tendency is not present. In some systems the drifting tendency is actively encouraged as a form of communication with the subconscious dream state.

Q: What are some useful tips?
    A: Keep the back straight as if suspended from a string on the back of the head, pulling one up. Move the head head back so it is more above the torso. Loosen the jaw so the mouth is lightly open. Move the chin slightly down.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Also, be careful (if I may say so) about being 'smart' with responses.
    If people are sincerely looking for constructive support," 'Not Liking happens" can be a frustrating response to read.

Elaborate.

"It's a perfectly natural dislike, because people expect' things to happen. And we become frustrated if we are under the impression nothing is happening. The more it grates and the more impatient you are, believe it or not - the more it's working! It's just that you are becoming a lot more aware and alert to your mind's workings. That's a good sign. Try to keep going!"

ZenshinlobsteranatamanBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2014

youtu.be/dTgqgBuFXes

Thanks guys. Stress taste above recipe. KISS principle. I hears ya.

youtu.be/HHVcxgX0Qr0

The FAQS are now online as I continue to refine them:
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2014/11/06

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

investigation of perception,
    investigation of form,
    investigation of consciousness(es) [hearing, seeing, odoring, tasting, body-ing, awareness reflexing]

motivation motivation motivation motivation motivation

to me it's handy and humorous to have a "Frequently asked questions" because meditation itself is a great place to ask questions. Frequently asking questions is what creates conceptuality, but asking, letting simmer, resting in that space, is where the joy of meditation comes.

I think "what is meditation" is a tricky question, as my understanding of buddhadharma thusfar leads me to see that meditation is indispensible to becoming enlightened, and to becoming a buddha for benefiting all sentient beings, and yet it is part of a larger framework of how to skillfully approach life.

So what are the merits of mediation without knowing the instruction(s) or the essence of what you're aiming for?

The main message I would like to convey is motivation is important like sunshine is for plants to grow.

Motivation in this context meaning intention

I suppose for a total newbie, one might want to cover the benefits of meditation,
    but also explain that it is a tool used for truly deep understanding.

Again, you might not need a lot of philosophy to be able to have fruitful progress, but it helps to have pointers in the right direction should you feel stagnation.

So, meditation and life should naturally weave together, it seems like that is a very nice state.

You naturally eat, you naturally drink, you naturally meditate...

Trying to define "how" to meditate is certainly possible through the internet, heck it's absolutely possible through the original sutras! =D

It seems like there's got to be a balance with how general you want it to be and how to-the-point it can be. Who is going to stumble onto it and what do you wish for them to gain from it?

Love you lobster. Like one lobster to another.

=)

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2014

thanks @sova‌ <3

Have added this as a starting point . . .

Q: What are the proven benefits?
    A: On a physical level, meditation

. . . as for who benefits . . . I hope we all gain :)

. . . for me I have already been made aware I had inadvertently moved into a tailor pose, rather than the more efficient Burmese posture when sitting. I was aware something was not right but had not given it any real attention . . . Talk about back to basics . . .