Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Needed to become Buddhist?

33_333_3 Veteran
edited January 2015 in Buddhism Basics

I am getting quite confused and/or frustrated over not mediating or attending a Meditation/Buddhist Center.
In listening to a Darma Punx Webcast they were heavy on Medication. They said that Westerners meditate more than Eastern Buddhists. If I was to attend their center I would be imitated by them.

I study daily by reading Dahl Lama's teachings and taking a Buddhism DVD course (Malcom David Eckel) to help understand my readings.

Some days I feel I am making huge progress but after hearing "Our Buddhism" "Against The Stream" I had a hole in my chest. I was able to relax however.

Have I gone to far?

I have an inner sense that I was always a Buddhist destined to realization.

Thoughts?

Peace

sova

Comments

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Meditation is necessary for enlightenment. That is how the Buddha awakened. Study and meditation do not make you a Buddhist. Refuge defines a Buddhist.

Why are you so reluctant about meditation?

sova
  • I think the main thing needed for being a Buddhist is compassion. How one comes by that compassion doesn't matter so much.

sova
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@33_3 said:

The Dalai Lama does a lot of meditation and prayers, as is described on his website.

The suttas make a point over and over again on meditation practice.

Meditation practice makes you more aware of your patterns of thinking, develops your insight, focuses your mind in the present moment, leads to the development of your equanimity by helping you observe your emotions with detachment.

Realization? Well, first things first.
    You can't run before you can walk.

ZenshinrobotCory
  • The Dalai Lama also says that Buddhism is a religion of kindness. I suppose some people need to do the meditation and resolve some ego-clinging issues before they can get to kindness. Some don't. But if you want to get to "realization", OP, meditation would be helpful.

33_3
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

"Meditation is a glitch in karma"

Hamsaka
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Sometimes meditation can help see certain things. Hard to explain but there were and are a few concepts I didn't see the logic in until I felt the logic rather than trying to understand it intellectually.

If that makes sense.
    HamsakaEarthninjaBuddhadragon
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited January 2015

Thought is the self-maker. The way to realize that thoughts are not "you", that what you take yourself to be is not the case, is meditation. You can get an intellectual understanding and say "okay, I understand that...", but it's not the same. It's the difference between thinking about a loved one dying and actually experiencing it.

This doesn't mean you need to meditate a lot. How often you meditate is less important than the quality of the meditation; the mindset, meditating correctly, and not expecting instant enlightenment (or any immediate results).

• @33_3 said:

Oh good. How?

Familiarisation with the path is primary. Meditation is the fast track. That is why monks are more likely to ideally have several daily sessions.

Rather than meditation, try quiet contemplation of one of the themes you have been studying.

<3

33_3BuddhadragonSarahT
  • ^^^ Don't fight it. Bite it. B)

Vastmind
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@lobster said:
    ^^^ Don't fight it. Bite it. B)

That just might have some serious applications for nearly everything . . .

VastmindsilverSarahT
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Only thing I can add is you can meditate by just remaining aware. You can walk and still be in meditation.
    It's not just a state of oblivion. :)

It's the most rewarding thing you can do. It's natural once you get used to it :)
  • 33_333_3 Veteran

@Chaz said:
    Meditation is necessary for enlightenment. That is how the Buddha awakened. Study and meditation do not make you a Buddhist. Refuge defines a Buddhist.

Why are you so reluctant about meditation?

I have medical issues that will not allow me to at this time and I see a Dr. Also I cannot sit on the floor.

• 33_333_3 Veteran

@Dakini said:
    The Dalai Lama also says that Buddhism is a religion of kindness. I suppose some people need to do the meditation and resolve some ego-clinging issues before they can get to kindness. Some don't. But if you want to get to "realization", OP, meditation would be helpful.

I am seeing a positive change in the way I think, feel and speak. If I cannot fit into the stated mold I will at least have the teachings The Buddha to live by.,,

• 33_333_3 Veteran
    edited January 2015

Hard to explain what I experience. With the recent loss of my brother a lot is happening. Buddhism is showing me whatI may have known all along.

silver
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited January 2015

You don't need to sit on the floor. If you can sit still on a chair (breathing comfortably) and observe your breathing in-and-out, and not get attached to your thoughts or feelings (watch, don't "do"), you can meditate. In fact if you do so... you will be meditating!

33_3
  • 33_333_3 Veteran

I will try some meditation on my own... Thanks

EarthninjalobsterSarahTsilver
  • @33_3 said:
    I have medical issues that will not allow me to at this time and I see a Dr. Also I cannot sit on the floor.

You can meditate lying down. I did that for years, when I had a difficult medical condition. Lying down, your chakras are still aligned. Some people find it hard to stay awake, but if that's not a problem for you, then you have the option of meditating lying on your back.

33_3

@Dakini said:
    The Dalai Lama also says that Buddhism is a religion of kindness. I suppose some people need to do the meditation and resolve some ego-clinging issues before they can get to kindness. Some don't.

Meditation, in fact, is a part of the whole package, and the practice of meditation does not get in the way of the development of bodhicitta. On the contrary.

http://www.tricycle.com/new-buddhism/-noble-eightfold-path/eightfold-path

"According to Buddhism, for a man to be perfect there are two qualities that he should develop equally: compassion (karuna) on one side, and wisdom (panna) on the other. Here compassion represents love, charity, kindness, tolerance and such noble qualities on the emotional side, or qualities of the heart, while wisdom would stand for the intellectual side or the qualities of the mind. If one develops only the emotional, neglecting the intellectual, one may become a good-hearted fool; while to develop only the intellectual side [and] neglecting the emotional may turn one into a hard-hearted intellect without feeling for others. Therefore, to be perfect one has to develop both equally. That is the aim of the Buddhist way of life: in it wisdom and compassion are inseparably linked together."

(Walpola Rahula)

The Brahma Viharas (Loving-Kindness, Compassion, Joy and Equanimity) are a meditative practice, before they become a state of mind.
    The Lojong and Tonglen trainings, which aim to develop bodhicitta, are also meditation practices.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    Meditation, in fact, is a part of the whole package, and the practice of meditation does not get in the way of the development of bodhicitta. On the contrary.

You misunderstood me, @DhammaDragon. I said some people don't need meditation in order to practice compassion, while others may need to work on their kleshas before the bodhicitta can manifest.

And there are always the meditations aimed at increasing one's bodhicitta, which I left out of the discussion for the time being. My point was that some people may need to resolve their hate, jealousy, and other negative emotions before they can feel or express much kindness/compassion.

edited January 2015

Okay, @Dakini.
    The elaboration makes the comments clearer (to me, at least).
    A beginner needs to understand that meditation is an integral part in the Buddhist recipe, whether they have any klesha issue to settle or not.

https://thebuddhistcentre.com/text/what-meditation

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda06.htm

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/burns/wheel088.html#goals

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@33_3 said:
    I will try some meditation on my own... Thanks

If you can get some face-to-face instruction or advice I would recommend it. Trying to learn meditation from books or the internet is not ideal.

edited January 2015

To be perfectly clear if it hasn't been brought up, you don't need to meditate to be considered a Buddhist. There are Buddhists who don't meditate at all. There are others who chant. There are those who do both, or have other practices. Buddhism isn't one thing. Buddhists aren't one thing.

It's just recommended by many forms of Buddhism to meditate. It's part of the Noble Eightfold Path (i.e. "the Path").

lobsterEarthninja33_3
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

There's something in Buddhism for everyone. Great, innit? ;)

33_3

@33_3 said:

And you've been given alternatives that will allow you to.

You can sit in a chair, lay down, walk, and stand if sitting cross-legged on the floor doesn't work.

What other issues are there?

silver
  • 33_333_3 Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Toraldris said:
    To be perfectly clear if it hasn't been brought up, you don't need to meditate to be considered a Buddhist. There are Buddhists who don't meditate at all. There are others who chant. There are those who do both, or have other practices. Buddhism isn't one thing. Buddhists aren't one thing.

It's just recommended by many forms of Buddhism to meditate. It's part of the Noble Eightfold Path (i.e. "the Path").

Toraldris, this was my impression on what I have been doing. It is not the lack of compassion or hatred that I need to address, it is the e decades of Christain guilt and fear that are in the way. It had gotten to the state of hallutionations of End Times in random settings. The dilegint studying is calming to the the crap in my head. Many fears of damnation or asking forgiveness or whatever are leaving. It is hard to not have ill feelings toward Christianity as a whole, but I practice secularism. I know there are similarities between Budhism and Chrisitianity or Hinduism and Budhism. Getting a better grasp on the timeline and development helps erase the My way or the Highway dogma of Christianity.
    ( sorry for the rant, wanted to Bette explain my relutency currently for any organized meditation )

lobstersilverHamsaka

@33_3 said:
    ( sorry for the rant, wanted to Bette explain my relutency currently for any organized meditation )

That' makes things much clearer.

Study won't go too far with helping with the Christian baggage you're carrying. Practice will haelp you get past that. In fact, if you're prone to halucination I'd suggest that neither meditation of study will help with that. I'd recommend seeking professional help on that.

David
  • 33_333_3 Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Chaz , I have had such help for many years. Buddhism has taught me to embrace the occurrences which are no longer frightening. Leary however of a public setting if it gets too heavy I could not cope. I do takes meds which are slowly decreasing. I liken it to a bad acid trip and flash backs in certain situations triggered by perceived signs from God. Due to this I gave up all mind altering substances in 1977 and became sober May 2012.

DavidHamsaka

@33_3 said:

Chaz , I have had such help for many years. Buddhism has taught me to embrace the occurrences which are no longer frightening. Leary however of a public setting if it gets too heavy I could not cope. I do takes meds which are slowly decreasing. I liken it to a bad acid trip and flash backs in certain situations triggered by perceived signs from God. Due to this I gave up all mind altering substances in 1977 and became sober May 2012.

Still sounds like (more?) professional help is needed.

• The dilegint studying is calming to the the crap in my head.

<3

End times. Christian baggage. Understood.

• You are doing fine. Most people are fuelled by head and heart crap. Sad but true.
    • There is deep wisdom in aspects of gnostic and mystical Christianity, for now remember how Jesus summed up the whole of his message. Something about Love and forgiving . . . from what I remember. B)
    • You have spent a lifetime accumulating crap. Give yourself time, patience and . . . a little kindness . . . :)
    silver33_3SarahT
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster said:<3

>
    End times. Christian baggage. Understood.
    •You are doing fine. Most people are fuelled by head and heart crap. Sad but true.
    •There is deep wisdom in aspects of gnostic and mystical Christianity, for now remember how Jesus summed up the whole of his message. Something about Love and forgiving . . . from what I remember. B)
    •You have spent a lifetime accumulating crap. Give yourself time, patience and . . . a little kindness . . . :)
    >

Totally worth repeating! (*)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2015

@Toraldris said:

Yes, this is how I took the OP's question: "Is Meditation Needed To Become Buddhist". The answer is "no", you can be considered a Buddhist without meditating. Many Asian Buddhists believe that meditation, like taking vows, is for monks. Meditation is emphasized a lot more for Westerners, for some reason. You're not barred from joining the Buddhist club if you don't meditate, OP. The main thing is to follow the 4NT and the 8-fold Path, and practice a little compassion when the opportunity arises.

But the question, "Is Meditation Needed to Become Enlightened", ah, now that's a very different matter! ;)

lobster33_3
  • 33_333_3 Veteran

@lobster:From The Gospel of Buddha
    Why should not Christians say with Prof. F. Max Müller: “If I do find in certain Buddhist works doctrines identically the same as in Christianity, so far from being frightened, I feel delighted, for surely truth is not the less true because it is believed by the majority of the human race.”