Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Dharma List for Beginners

Recently I went looking for a Dharma* "cheat sheet" to help me keep things straight and in mind and I came across this:

appliedbuddhism.com/about-buddhism/the-dhamma-lists/

I hope others find this useful and I would be interested in hearing any comments you may have regarding the definitions on the list.

*The list is actually titled with the Pali Dhamma, but since I am entirely unaffiliated at this point I'll say Dharma, which seems to be the more common usage on this forum.

karastiVastmindbookwormlobsterBuddhadragon

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Dharma/Dhamma, Karma/Kamma both are used. Dhamma and Kamma are generally found more in the Theravada tradition. Just a difference in how regional places were able to pronounce particular sounds. Most people are pretty used to it so whichever term you prefer to use is fine :)

I have found (for me) that trying to keep things aligned in some linear, list fashion was difficult. Trying to break Buddhism into separate terms and topics when it really is taken as an entirety made it more likely for me and my type A personality to try to tackle it one point at a time. For me, that was not possible. Bits of understanding of each part come along at different times.

However, it is nice to have it all in one spot so when I can't remember what something is and it comes up here, I don't have to go looking for it :) Thank you for the link!

dantepw
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's a more commonly known term, but I'm not sure you're accurate in your assessmnt. (And that's not a criticism, BtW, it's merely an observation...

Just as it looks as if we tend to use -

Sutta more than Sutra,
    Metta more than Maitri,
    Karma more than Kamma,

I think it's a variable...

Sutta = Pali
    Sutra = Mahayana.

Metta = P
    Maitri = M

Kamma = P
    Karma = M

Dhamma - P
    Dharma = M

Rowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Kenneth said:> Recently I went looking for a Dharma* "cheat sheet" to help me keep things straight and in mind and I came across this:

There are many variations. Something you could try is to investigate one word/term in detail and see where it leads.

Rowan1980Kenneth
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Wonderful idea @Kenneth <3
    Many thanks B)

As a Buddhist Heretic (not really available, probably the nearest is being a Hinayanist, or Mahayanist if you are Theravadin) ... ahem ... as a Buddhist heretic I follow the accursed ultra spirituals lore:

Dumber and Dharma (never think you have understood all the levels of Buddhist wisdom)
    Four Noble Tooth Fairys: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_of_the_tooth_of_the_Buddha

Kenneth
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have come across different versions of this cheat sheet too, @Kenneth.
    I think it was @lobster who first posted this one:

Kennethnmarie3Zenni
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

A treasure chest with neat compartments of gems!!!

@DhammaDragon & @lobster - thank you so much..

Namaste

Buddhadragon
  • There is another one I like over at BuddhaNet. It's not as extensive as the one you've posted, but I've found it to be helpful as well: buddhanet.net/e-learning/pathmaps.htm

KennethBuddhadragon
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

I do like Art's sheet!Great!

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I prefer the complete one with all the 37 factors of enlightenment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhipakkhiyādhammā

Buddhadragonlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Kenneth said:

*The list is actually titled with the Pali Dhamma, but since I am entirely unaffiliated at this point I'll say Dharma, which seems to be the more common usage on this forum.

<3

Your approach is exactly correct. Familiarisation with core concepts satisfies our analytic and 'core certainty' if I can put it like that ...

Taming the mind is the Middle Way. We for best results combine theory with practice.
    http://learning.tergar.org/course_library/intro-to-meditation/

Here the Buddha teaches how to develop the 37 factors of enlightenment.
    http://www.lordbuddhaswords.org/Factors of Enlightenment.html

Kennethlobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@bookworm said:
    Here the Buddha teaches how to develop the 37 factors of enlightenment.
    http://www.lordbuddhaswords.org/Factors of Enlightenment.html

It is important and this sutra is part of that, NOT to get ahead of oneself.

Initially we develop 'craving' for enlightenment. We need in place 'patches' on the ego.

This idea of just 'accepting' or 'being' is not how the mind works in practice.

Beginners mind is very close to enlightenment but in practice we have to go through a process of unlearning as well as learning.

Be honest in your appraisal. Are you a monkey minded dabbler or a focussed meditator? It is meditation that will change you, life that is your practice BUT be aware of your real nature, your contrived and projected (egoic) fantasy nature and your potential Buddha Nature.

Mr Cushion is the Middle Way, the True Friend and eventually you will find yourself alone and ...

The butt stops here ...

edited May 2015

I follow the teaching by the middle.
    http://suttacentral.net/en/sn12.33

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator Note

Just a reminder to no-one in particular, that this is BUDDHIST BASICS and the thread is intended for beginners.
    Please do not get overly complicated and ahead of yourselves.

Thanks.

Note ends.

lobster

@bookworm said:
    I follow the teaching by the middle.
    http://suttacentral.net/en/sn12.33

I have to say, that's an excellent site. I've been looking for a site that has everything together in a cohesive way for easy reference.
    Thanks for posting, most useful

bookworm
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Yes, Sutta Central is a great site, more comprehensive than Access to Insight.

Agreed!

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Meditate.
    Words are just words. Words cannot explain experience.
    We Westerners get caught up on words, thinking they are experience. But let me ask you this ... could you know what an orgasm is like if you never had one and had only read about it?
    Meditate.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Meditate on orgasms. Got it. Will do! O.o

bookworm

@FoibleFull said:
    Meditate.
    Words are just words. Words cannot explain experience.
    We Westerners get caught up on words, thinking they are experience. But let me ask you this ... could you know what an orgasm is like if you never had one and had only read about it?
    Meditate.

You're talking a lot of nonsense this morning, @FoibleFull, as if you were a leading authority.
    I'm sceptical of your conveyed 'wisdom'.

I'm extremely content to rely upon my own experience - and the various and many ways and means of gaining it, thanks....

JohnMac