Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lord Buddha...Happy Vesak Day :)

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited June 2015 in General Banter

The 1st of June was Buddha's birthday day, (Vesak Day) and I for one would like to say "Many happy returns" for yesterday :) ( BTW your present's in the past post :) )

DavidbookwormWalkerRowan1980

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

What do you get the man who has/had everything ??? "Nothing" of course :)

Walkersova
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

"Many happy returns"....... :p

Rowan1980

@Bunks said:
    "Many happy returns"....... :p

What no "present" ??? :D

sova
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Could I have some cake and eat it too? :p

Shoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:
    What do you get the man who has/had everything ??? "Nothing" of course :)

He's dead, he has everything he needs.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Walker said:
    Could I have some cake and eat it too? :p

The middle way is to not have cake, but eat it.

WalkerlobsterShoshin
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

meditate today and dedicate it to the enlightenment of all sentient beings <3

Buddha's another year older and more wiser (well if he could get any more wiser that is)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

His birthday is not a time of gifts for him. It is a celebration of his gifts to us.

All together "Now"
    "For he's a jolly good fellow!
    For he's a jolly good fellow!
    For he's a jolly good fellow!
    And so say all of us !" (who have greatly benefited from his teachings) :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

When I heard it was the Buddha's birthday I hurried to my local Hinayana (Theravada) Temple in search of cake to renew my refuge vows. This is the Buddhapadipa Temple. It had been invaded by school kids 'doing religion', Buddhism in the morning, Islam after lunch. Fortunately the Temple was 'closed' to them so I was able to hide inside meditate in peaceful surroundings.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Buddhapadipa

You had a chance to meditate in a beautiful temple with no youngsters running around and screaming? Sheer luxury!

ZenshinlobsterVastmindShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Walker said:
    You had a chance to meditate in a beautiful temple with no youngsters running around and screaming?

Yes.

The kids were very excited and some building work added to the noise meditation, which is something I am quite used to.

Those Hinayanists were certainly busy, volunteers were wheel barrowing building material about ...

I don't mind kids, these were well behaved. As I left two teachers were herding them back on a coach (bus).

Two saffron uniformed-branch monks were making their temple escape as I arrived. I gave them a half namaste as an offering. They did not seem impressed, should have been more generous.

As I weaved through the school trip, the students were discussing what went into a monks begging bowl. One suggested 'a chicken'. It is a good tip for when emptying the freezer and preparing Dana ... Full namaste and a frozen chicken. We haz plan!
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dāna

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited June 2015

@lobster please don't use the term Hinayana for the Dhamma of the Theravada its incorrect and offensive.

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/NoHinayana.pdf

lobster

@lobster Kids are great. I can say that because I haven't passed my faulty genes onto the next generation! Mrs. Walker and I have the best of both worlds. We can 'borrow' nephews or nieces for the day, load them up with sugar, get them all wound up, then take them home to Mom (Mum) & Dad! :pleased:

Re: dana. How often does meat protein make its way into begging bowls? I think some monastics would appreciate it, while others might be a little off-put by the thought somebody specifically chose to donate meat.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Walker said:

Re: dana. How often does meat protein make its way into begging bowls?

A lot in this case mainly because this is a rich Thai Hinayana temple and cultural center who prefer to be termed Theravadin (a derogatory term meaning a bunch of geriatrics) rather than Nikaya even at cake eating times ...
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikaya_Buddhism

As a true follower of the core Hinayana teachings, I prefer not be offended but to understand its technical and respectful potential as meaning tight, focussed and based on a close turning. Mind you I also feel snogging Buddha statues is a lovely idea (statues are offensive and early Buddhists never used them - the Buddha was represented by a horse, feet or a small wheel). Dharma fail! :3
    http://rt.com/art-and-culture/tourists-kissing-buddha-sentenced-311/

Interesting how stuff like this happens @lobster. I'm currently reading TNH's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching. Just finished Chapter 4, where he writes about Source Buddhism, Many-Schools Buddhism and Mahayana Buddhism.

Serendipity?

As far as clowns go, the talk the other day about tents, and the the size thereof on another thread had me thinking that bigger tents attract more clowns... O.o

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Walker said:
    Serendipity?

Yes.
    Heart uber alles (so to speak). Can we as hearty Dharma Campers be happy? I increasingly think so ... with or without gate aux. <3

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    @Walker;

That's one of my favorite books. I was so grateful when it came out as it smoothed out my misunderstandings and apprehensions about Buddhism and made it real.

You reminded me now of chapter 5, the beginning of which I'm going to post on another thread.

Thanks
    Walker