Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Failure!

Through weakness, karma, (other excuses as I come up with them) I was very rude and abusive yesterday for a short while and surprisingly easily forgiven. Hooray for that at least.

What to do about failure in mind, body or spirit? Should I wear a fruit bowl on my head and go sit in the naughty corner?

Comments

• RCCA: Root Cause; Corrective Action
    Determine, absolutely objectively and dispassionately, the true fundamental root cause. Then identify and implement a corrective action.

Apologize and remediate as much as possible of course, but the present situation is no longer in the present. The purpose of RCCA is to prevent the next one.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh, I use FUSMO.

F'd Up.
    Sorry.
    Move On.

EarthninjaBuddhadragonmmodantepw
  • Haven't we all?! :3
    You already acknowledged your 'error'.
    Anyway - What fedrica said. <3

• Gee, i like that. For some of us, (who, me?), FUSMO is daily.
    For the rest of us, (who, me?), FUSMO is still more often than we might want, but, what the heck. <3

Peace to all

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said: What to do about failure in mind, body or spirit? Should I wear a fruit bowl on my head and go sit in the naughty corner?

Three Hail Marys and four Our Fathers should do the trick. ;)

lobsterWalkernjohnson12seeker242
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2015

Here is my Catholic puja/prayer (from what I remember):

Catholic version

Hail Mary, full of grace.
    Our Lord is with thee.
    Blessed art thou among women,
    and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
    Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God,
    pray for us sinners,
    now and at the hour of our death.
    Amen.

----------- Buddhist version

Hail Cundi, full of amrita.
    Our Clear Mind is with thee.
    Blessed art thou among Boddhisattva,
    and blessed is the fruit of thy practice,
    Enlightenment.
    Holy Cundi, Mother of the Buddhas,
    practice for us slackers,
    now and at the time of our passing
    OM.

----- Our Father Buddha

Our Buddha who art in Paranirvana,
        hallowed be thy mantra.
        Thy yidam come.
        Thy dharma be done
        on earth as it is in the Purelands.
        Give us this day our daily practice,
        and forgive us our afflictions,
        as we forgive those who pass us in a better raft
        and lead us not into maya,
        but deliver us from samsara.
        For thine is the Buddha,
        and the Dharma, and the Sangha,
        for ever and ever.
        Om

silverBuddhadragon
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@lobster
    Good posts on just taking the next step.

Failure is simply unmet expectations?
    A hubris meter for our lack of control in a sea of chaos.
    Try to find the owner of that failure and you'll get a lot of "That's funny, he was just here just a minute ago".

How do we actually support an Identity dream
    &
    what is awakening from it?

silverlobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Thank you for thy morning chuckle
    "as we forgive those who pass us in a better raft"
    (man does not live by bread alone!)

• @how said:
    Failure is simply unmet expectations?

Absolutely - very relevant for me <3

A hubris meter for our lack of control in a sea of chaos.
    Try to find the owner of that failure and you'll get a lot of "That's funny, he was just here just a minute ago".

LOL
    Exactly so. I am still amazed when anger arises out of nowhere and nothing of any consequence. For me personally I can control it :3 BUT shamefully I allow it emotional expression, when really a better outlet/resolution would be more skilful. So it is a lack of skilful means/'failure' no doubt. The self indulgence described here ...
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/anger.htm

When I am perfect, I will be so ultra-spiritual ... in my dreams ... o:)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

The word "failure" sounds too harsh on oneself, @lobster.
    We do the best we can, with what we can at a given moment.

Vow to do better next time.
    I read a serious scientific report a couple of days ago which confirms what Buddhist psychology has been claiming for ages: that the less you indulge in angry outbursts, the more your brain gets trained not to incur in angry behaviour.

lobstermmo

@how said: A hubris meter

I would like to get one of those installed. Can you get them done under the National 'Elf Service?

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

The Four Opponent Powers.

1. Develop regret (not guilt) for what you have done.
    2. Wish the person / people well that you harmed (apologise directly if you can).
    3. Make a determination not to repeat the action.
    4. Undertake remedial behaviour e.g. prostrations, community service, chanting, etc.

Repeat as necessary......

• yagryagr Veteran

@lobster said:
    What to do about failure in mind, body or spirit? Should I wear a fruit bowl on my head and go sit in the naughty corner?

We may have different ideas on what constitutes failure.

However, if it adds to your happiness to do some penance, might I suggest three chop woods and two carry waters? <3

Walkerlobster
  • Thanks guys, some great insights <3
    Penance ... mmm ... not my sort of indulgence ... mmm ... a round of my favourite mala with mantra might be an option/penance ...

@DhammaDragon said:
    I read a serious scientific report a couple of days ago which confirms what Buddhist psychology has been claiming for ages: that the less you indulge in angry outbursts, the more your brain gets trained not to incur in angry behaviour.

True, think outbursts of metta and boddhicitta might be my best counter measure ... Middle Way by extremes perhaps ... B)

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Just be mindful @lobster :)

• @DhammaDragon said:
    The word "failure" sounds too harsh on oneself, lobster.
    We do the best we can, with what we can at a given moment.

True.

I do over express my critical nature and directing inward (the modern equivalent of self flagellation for the extreme contrite medieval Christian) is no healthier than outward whipping with ones tongue ...

Perhaps I should use the term 'successfully unskilful in a very human way' ... ;)

"Skillfully challenged"? ;)

lobster
  • @DhammaDragon said:

Vow to do better next time.

Fuck it. No time like the present. I vow to be angry next time. :p

Yep I feel better already ... [Oh I iz so bad] ;)

I don't care ... :o

Being angry, politically uncorrect, unscientific, at the mercy of blood sugar levels, undharmic etc reinforces my tendency to be a little less ultra spiritual ... Now and again ... :)

I may take up wrathful dharma as a part time hobby and channel her holiness wrathful Tara or one of her fellow fiendesses ... o:)

No blue eyed devils were harmed in the producing of this unforgivable halloween treat B)

Lionduck
  • @lobster said:
    No blue eyed devils were harmed in the producing of this unforgivable halloween treat B)

Gee, thanks. Being a blue eyed devil, I was a little worried. ;)

lobster
  • MetaphasicMetaphasic NC, USA Explorer

@lobster

May I remind you of the scene in the Lion King, where Rafiki teaches Simba a lesson.

I agree with the rest of your respondents. If you are known for calm, mindful words and actions, then they will forgive you. Just apologize and move on. We all make mistakes, and this one is in the past.

lobsterEarthninjasilver

@lobster said:I may take up wrathful dharma as a part time hobby and channel her holiness wrathful Tara or one of her fellow fiendesses ... o:)

Or take up rugby. ;)

lobster
  • I feel that we only fail when we stop trying.

I saw the movie 'Bridge of Spies'. The main character was given and took on a difficult task. Had he yielded, he would have failed, even had he 'accomplished' his assigned mission. He did not just give up, he did not go against his principles and he succeeded. This was a story based about a real event with real outcomes.

Every day, we get up and go forth. Every day, we face challenges - some small, some big. Sometimes we get knocked down; sometimes we trip; sometimes we just step in it. As long as we keep going, keep trying, we will become stronger, wiser, and better.

Of course, when we screw up we apologize, make amends as necessary - repair the bridges. But we do not stop trying. We can not learn and grow otherwise.

@SpinyNorman said:
    @lobster said:I may take up wrathful dharma as a part time hobby and channel her holiness wrathful Tara or one of her fellow fiendesses ... o:)

Or take up rugby. ;)

Or mud wrestling or wrathful dharma stomping... ;)

Peace to all

• Thanks guys.

The point for me is that failure may be obvious - harsh words or subtle. We do have to reign in our physical, emotional, mind excesses.

@federica said:

Oh, I use FUSMO.

F'd Up.
    Sorry.
    Move On.

Good plan!