Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bad Hair Day?

Did the Buddha have a blue rinse? Slap head? Full Brazilian? Snail head of an ancient super dude? No consequence?
http://sdhammika.blogspot.co.uk/2009/07/buddhas-hail.html

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited March 2016

Perhaps in a past life the Buddha was an 'acorn' ... a squirrel once told me this ...and I have no reason to believe the squirrel lied :)

lobsterBunksCinorjer
  • Gautama has elephant ears and tiny feets in this painting. The ears I can understand. According to myth, his mother was visited by a sacred white elephant and that's how he was conceived.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If I didn't know better, I'd think that was a Fb selfie by Shaytona... duck pout lips, perfect eyebrows, false eyelashes.... "Doing rad stuff to my hair - love u Taneeesha!"

Bunks
  • @Cinorjer said:
    According to myth, his mother was visited by a sacred white elephant and that's how he was conceived.

LOL.
    In your dreams. Rather in his mothers ...

The idea that a religious teacher is an ordinary person seems so hard for people to understand/accomodate.

Buddha was a rich kid, Jesus was a stable brat, Moses was a warlord, Mohammad was an opportunistic merchant. [too harsh?]

They had to be beautiful in all forms? Pleeze.

You can watch this deification process with recent groups. I was informed that the founder of Christian Science was never ill in her life. Next.

In the Buddhist world, rogue Buddhists are being elavated beyond their spiritual function.

Always the way ...

... and now back to Buddha the Bootiful ...

CinorjerWalkerVastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I don't imagine that many NB members are deifying the Buddha, so I'm not sure who are you are trying to convince.
    Another straw-man thread?

• Just goes to show that cultures see things in different lights.
    Well, Spiny, I sure hope no one around these parts is attempting ti deify the Buddha.
    We have enough in just dealing with the sacred temple of Vanilla. ;)

lobsterVastmindShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Don't forget the Tantric Triad of Neapolitan.

lobster
  • Some people say that to take refuge in the Buddha is to take refuge in the body of the Tathāgata, which comprises head, neck, stomach, back, hands and feet. It is explained that the body, born of father and mother, is composed of defiled dharmas, and therefore is not a source of refuge. The refuge is the Buddha's fully accomplished qualities (aśaikṣadharmāḥ) which comprise bodhi and the dharmakāya
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharmakāya

The wisdom body or countless expression of idealisations, sometimes expressed in bowing, worshipping, resonating, becoming touched by their empty form, is part of populist dharma.
    Confucius he say, Buddha quotes, Jesus said unto them; that sort of thing.

It is a pragmatic externalisation of the value we ascribe to our inner journey. I find tremendous value in Buddhist Deity Yoga.
    http://www.rigdzindharma.org/deity-yoga-practice.html

As I said to Chenresig only this morning, 'OM MANI PEME HUM'

• SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

Yall know that the painting depicts the moment Siddartha decided to become a renunciate, right?