Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Auspicious Day

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2016 in General Banter

Today is Friday 13th.

Today is a good day to die? [Klingon 'wisdom']

May all be auspicious? Just another day? Or just Today?

ajhayessilver

Comments

• gracklegrackle Veteran

Walk under ladders. Step on cracks. Be nice to black cats. How can you go wrong?

Kundosilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Most superstitions (though not all, admittedly) have logical sound reasoning behind them.

Like, not crossing on stairs (the one coming up is more easy to dislodge and hurtle back down again) don't walk under ladders (you don't want whatever's going on 'up there' to hit you on the head 'down here'!)
    My only one, which I can't seem to shift, is the magpie count. Whenever I see one magpie, I always greet it courteously (it's supposed to deflect any imminent 'sorrow') but I always seek a second and tell myself seeing one within 5 minutes counts as '2 for joy'.
    I have also convinced myself they are inestimable masters of disguise. That pigeon I see, about 20 feet away from a supposedly solitary magpie? That's its magpie mate, in cunning disguise.... ;)
    I've even seen suspicious-looking sparrows.... Masters, I tell you, cunning masters!

lobsterSwaroop
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Pah!
    x your eyes.

Two magpies. Joy job done.

Learned that from my Irish brother in law ...

Paddy was driving home, drunk as a skunk, suddenly he has to swerve to avoid a tree, then another, then another. A cop car pulls him over as he veers about all over the road. Paddy tells the cop about all the trees in the road. Cop says “For gods sake Paddy, that’s your air freshener swinging about!”

howVastmind
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@lobster said:
    Pah!
    x your eyes.

Two magpies. Joy job done.

Learned that from my Irish brother in law ...

....Brilliant idea! Never thought of that - maybe the Irish are not so 't'ick after all, to be sure!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

(At least I hope this is a 'genuine' quote from the birthday boy)

VastmindhowShoshin
  • GlowGlow Veteran

Sure, today can be an auspicious day. Also tomorrow, and every day! :)

You shouldn't chase after the past
    or place expectations on the future.
    What is past
    is left behind.
    The future
    is as yet unreached.
    Whatever quality is present
    you clearly see right there,
    right there.
    Not taken in,
    unshaken,
    that's how you develop the heart.
    Ardently doing
    what should be done today,
    for — who knows? — tomorrow
    death.
    There is no bargaining
    with Mortality & his mighty horde.

Whoever lives thus ardently,
    relentlessly
    both day & night,
    has truly had an auspicious day:
    so says the Peaceful Sage.

Source: Bhaddekaratta Sutta: An Auspicious Day

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Every day is auspicious, every magpie counting liable to interpretation. Seems superstition, individual or collective, is the opposite of Truth.

Tsk, tsk. o:)
    Long live the Buddha Science!