Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Back on Retreat

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited July 2018 in Buddhism Basics

Here I am on retreat with Manjushri and Amitābha (Don't worry they are omni-present as you can see). Obviously when on retreat they are far from perfect ... wait Manjushri says Bodhisattvas are always perfect ... my mistake ... :3
http://www.thewayofthehappywoman.com/my-journal/2017/03/stay-home-retreat/

They may seem a little empty of form but Amitābha says, if they were any more form we would be blinded by their Emptiness ... ?⚡️?

What do we bring on retreats? ?
http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24202/solo-meditation-retreats

Bunks

Comments

• kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

Solo retreating is the best option for me as being in a group makes me very nervous (aspie over here!) I am lucky in being an artist as people realise I need lots of solitary space and respect it, usually! Mobile phones have altered things but fortunately they can still be turned off and are not actually wired into the skull, although some mad marketing exec is probably planning this as the next plateau of compulsory communication! :p

Bunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

My retreat ends tomorrow. Every evening I sit in one of the chairs and have one Stella Artois. Not something I normally do. Very pleasant.
    I am allowed Internet contact by the Metta Ray (AI Maitriya). I am also eating more junk food and chocolate, which is what is available.
    Slightly stiff from more exercise.

Be glad to return to my regular discipline and practice, in particular diet ...
    https://badbuddhist.wordpress.com/2009/02/02/ways-i-have-been-a-bad-meditator/

Sometimes just being human is enough! :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@kando said:
    Sometimes just being human is enough! :)

I would think it's essential....!

kando
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I aspire to being human. I consider it quite an attainment.

... meanwhile ...
    https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.088.than.html

kando

Reading 'the world is made of stories' by David Loy at present and came across this 'when Francis Harwood, an anthropologist, asked a Sioux elder why people tell stories he answered "to become human beings" . She asked "aren't we human beings already?" he smiled. "not everyone makes it" :)

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:

My retreat ends tomorrow. Every evening I sit in one of the chairs and have one Stella Artois. Not something I normally do. Very pleasant.

Bravo @Lobster ... these things are there to be celebrated.

kando
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks @Kerome

From the chair with my zoom camera, post beer, I noticed Manjushri and Amitaba dancing amidst the weeds ...

adamcrossleyJeffrey
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

When are you not on a retreat @lobster ...Have mind will travel :)

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Exactly so @Shoshin. Retreat, ideally, is a state of mind. Meditation is a retreat into formal attentive emptying.

Formal retreat is something I will certainly contemplate again but my situation makes this difficult presently.

I wonder, are they butterflies dreaming of being Buddhas or Buddhas dreaming of being butterflies? Great photo :)

lobsteradamcrossleyShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2018

@kando said:
    I wonder, are they butterflies dreaming of being Buddhas or Buddhas dreaming of being butterflies? Great photo :)

Mu (and I don't means cows ;) )

kando