Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abortion and Birth Control: Ethical or Unethical to Buddhists?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Is abortion considered to be ethical or unethical to Buddhists? What about birth control that prevents the implantation of the fertilized egg?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Well, Buddhists aren't Catholics. Birth control is actually a good thing.

Doing any harm to the developing human after conception though is not good. Life begins at conception in the Buddhist worldview.
  • edited April 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    Preventing conception is okay, but any act of harm afterward is not.

Okay, so would a form of birth control, such as the pill, which prevents implantation of the fertilized egg be unethical then?
  • edited April 2010
    Well, conception is when the egg has been fertilized. Take it from there...
  • edited April 2010
    Is abortion considered to be ethical or unethical to Buddhists? What about birth control that prevents the implantation of the fertilized egg?

I wouldnt go with the masculine buddhist orthodoxy on this one:)

It would be clear in karmic and biological terms that a human Zygote is not an individual moral, mental, spiritual person.

I don't think any dharmic moral reasoning could come up with a view against the morning after pill, for example.

So if you are spiritually and philosophically satisfied with that as a moral starting point then you can look to the karmic effects of termination at other stages in human development, and then you can come up with your own right moral decision on this:)

Well wishes:)

mat
  • edited April 2010
    Okay, so if life begins at conception in the Buddhist worldview and it is immoral to do cause any harm to a human after its conception, it would then be immoral to use birth control that prevents the implantation of the fertilized egg since the egg is not fertilized until after conception, right? I hope I am getting this right. :o
  • edited April 2010
    Okay, so if life begins at conception in the Buddhist worldview and it is immoral to do cause any harm to a human after its conception, it would then be immoral to use birth control that prevents the implantation of the fertilized egg since the egg is not fertilized until after conception, right? I hope I am getting this right. :o
    That would be a reasonable conclusion to most Buddhist schools that posit a consciousness is present at fertilization. It should also be reasonable to other Buddhists that simply wish to do no harm to life regardless, as that fertilized egg would be a human life if not for our actions to harm it.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010

Christianity worries about moral/immoral, and gives us strict rules to follow.

Buddhism gives us guidelines, and explains why those guidelines are good things to follow. Certain actions result in varying degrees of positive karma, while other actions result in varying degrees of negative karma ... but living inevitably causes some degree of bad karma (until we become Buddhas ourselves).

I once asked my teacher a similar question: I asked if it was "wrong" to take antibiotics, since antibiotics kill bacteria. He said that if our intention was to kill bacteria so that we could continue to live, so that we could continue to do our Buddhist practice, so that we could benefit all sentient beings, then the negative karma of killing bacteria was far out-weighed by the positive karma created by our intentions.

So is it "immoral" to prevent implantation of a zygote? It's not black or white, yes or no. You'll earn some degree of bad karma from that action. More importantly, however, is the attitude you are operating out of ... your intentions, your motivation, your attempts to gain the qualities of wisdom and compassion. And whether or not your actions support those.
  • edited April 2010
    That would be a reasonable conclusion to most Buddhist schools that posit a consciousness is present at fertilization. It should also be reasonable to other Buddhists that simply wish to do no harm to life regardless, as that fertilized egg would be a human life if not for our actions to harm it.

Oh okay thanks. :) So, if I am understanding things correctly, the use of birth control which causes the fertlized egg to fail to implant in the uterine wall is immoral but forms of birth control/contraception such as condoms and spermicides are acceptable because they do not prevent an already existing life from continuing to exist. Am I correct?

I also just thought of another thing to speculate on when considering whether or not to use "abortifacient" forms of birth control such as the Morning-After Pill. Let's say that you are a Buddhist woman and you have just been raped by a man. You are fearful of pregnancy. So, you have to decide whether or not to use the Morning-After Pill. Using the Morning-After Pill would decrease the chance of you suffering due to an unwanted pregnancy. However, using the Morning-After Pill would also cause the death of the newly formed life, the fertilized egg. You would be causing harm to the newly formed life by using the Morning-After Pill provided that the Morning-After Pill happens to work by preventing the implantation of the newly formed life. Of course, the Morning-After Pill also works by preventing conception in the first place. So you'd kind of be at a moral dilemma wouldn't you? I mean, you could choose to use the Morning-After Pill which may or may not cause harm to a newly formed life but which would also prevent suffering that you or others may experience based upon an unwanted pregnancy. So, what would you do in such a case? Would you have to weigh the amount of suffering that an unwanted pregnancy may cause with the possible harm caused by the Morning-After Pill? Or would it just be acceptable to go ahead and use the Morning-After Pill because there is a chance in which we can't know exactly how it is going to work? It could work either way. It could either prevent the implantation of the newly formed life or it could prevent the conception of a new life. So, what should a person in such a situation do? I'm sorry but such a situation is very confusing to me. :p;):o
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    You don't know that it would definitely be causing the death of a new life. you simply know that the taking the morning-after pill might prevent its conception. So I personally would not deem the use of the morning-after pill in such circumstances as incorrect or harmful.
    if a woman habitually takes the morning-after pill, because she cannot be bothered to take proper precautions, that would be a different matter.
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    You don't know that it would definitely be causing the death of a new life. you simply know that the taking the morning-after pill might prevent its conception. So I personally would not deem the use of the morning-after pill in such circumstances as incorrect or harmful.
    if a woman habitually takes the morning-after pill, because she cannot be bothered to take proper precautions, that would be a different matter.

I agree with you that you cannot know that taking it would definitely be causing the death of a new life. However, even Planned Parenthood acknowledges that in theory the Morning-After Pill could prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg. See the quote below:
    How Does Emergency Contraception Work?

Emergency contraception is made of the same hormones found in birth control pills. Hormones are chemicals made in our bodies. They control how different parts of the body work.

The hormones in the morning after pill work by keeping a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs — ovulation. Pregnancy cannot happen if there is no egg to join with sperm. The hormones in the morning after pill also prevent pregnancy by thickening a woman's cervical mucus. The mucus blocks sperm and keeps it from joining with an egg.

The hormones also thin the lining of the uterus. In theory, this could prevent pregnancy by keeping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

You might have also heard that the morning after pill causes an abortion. But that's not true. The morning after pill is not the abortion pill. Emergency contraception is birth control, not abortion.

Plan B One-Step and Next Choice are brands of hormone pills specially packaged as emergency contraception. They contain the hormone progestin.

Certain brands of birth control pills may also be used in larger doses than usual as backup birth control. See our chart below for information about the kinds of birth control pills that can be used as emergency contraception.

Source: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/emergency-contraception-morning-after-pill-4363.htm

Emphasis in underline mine.

Therefore, should we not avoid such a method of contraception knowing that it is possible for it to prevent implantation of the fertilized egg?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    That would be up to the individual.

As I have said elsewhere, "Intention is all".

We have no right to criticise, judge or condemn others for the decisions they make. A conscientious woman would be giving herself a hard enough time anyway. Who are we to add to her burden, when we ourselves in soooo many ways are less than perfect?

A woman with no scruples and who cares not a jot what she does or what others think, is in a realm of Samsara, anyway, and needs compassion (whether she asks for it or not, expects it or not, accepts it or not).
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    That would be up to the individual.

As I have said elsewhere, "Intention is all".

We have no right to criticise, judge or condemn others for the decisions they make. A conscientious woman would be giving herself a hard enough time anyway. Who are we to add to her burden, when we ourselves in soooo many ways are less than perfect?

A woman with no scruples and who cares not a jot what she does or what others think, is in a realm of Samsara, anyway, and needs compassion (whether she asks for it or not, expects it or not, accepts it or not).

Ah yes, I agree with you Federica. We do not have any right to criticize, judge, or condemn others for decisions they make. Also, I agree that a woman with no scruples and who cares nothing about what she does or what others think needs compassion.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Theres no pope in buddhism. Buddhism would have ways to purify negative karma (or vows) if you regret a decision later on. Buddhism doesn't have a big agenda on abortion where you go to the dharma talks and the teacher is trying to guilt you to stop having abortions or have that political view.

So even if you might find it mentioned that abortion or homosexuality is wrong a big deal is not made out of it and you are not rejected because of one of those things. In buddhism getting angry is wrong! But even the da lai lama says he gets angry sometimes.

In buddhism a vow has a purpose. The tibetan word for vow means stop a leak. What the vow do is stop negative harmful things for destroying the conditions you have for studying and gainging wisdom and merit. Merit is karma. It is like the conditions you need to clear away the clouds on your heart. You already have a good heart you just need to clear away clouds klesha and veils.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Whether such things are "moral/immoral", I think, is up to the individual to decide for themself. Personally I do not ascribe to the belief that personhood begins at conception. Sure it is life, but anything comprised of cells is life. The fingernails that you trim is life. To me, I'm more concerned with personhood, which I don't feel begins until birth. But that's just my view and I do not speak for all Buddhists, only one.
  • edited April 2010
    This is all so very interesting! Thanks to both of you for your replies!
    edited April 2010
    What's the betting BG's actually a Tibetan Buddhist nun and an advanced professor of Buddhism and she's just testing whether any of us know anything...?:lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Regarding the issue of conception and the moment when consciousness arises in an embryo, I believe that Ajahn Brahmavamso makes some good points in support of his view that fertilized ova and very early embryos outside the mother's womb aren't reckoned as human life because they lack sensitivity to painful or pleasant stimuli. In his words, "[O]nly when the embryo-fetus first shows sensitivity to pleasure and pain (vedana) and first shows will (such as by a purposeful shrinking away from a painful stimulus) has consciousness and nama-rupa first manifested and the new human life started."

There is some controversy over this subject, however, because the Buddha never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo, although he does state in MN 38 that conception requires three things: (1) the mother (i.e., a fertile egg), (2) the father (i.e., a sperm cell), and (3) the gandhabba (stream of consciousness) (source). Additionally, the Theravadin commentaries merely state that with the union of the sperm and egg, consciousness (citta) can arise, but they don't give an explicit time as to when this occurs. In essence, there's no way to be absolutely sure of the moment when consciousness arises in an embryo.

So taking into account what it states in the Pali Canon regarding conception and consciousness, one can also reasonably argue that life begins at conception, but I don't know the answer myself, and in my opinion, there is no way to be absolutely sure of the moment when consciousness arises in an embryo. That being the case, my own position would be to err on the side of caution and treat any embryo, from the moment of fertilization onward, as being a potential living being. But in the end, I think it really comes down to how we each choose to view embryos—whether as a collection of cells, a potential living beings or both.

Personally, I believe in a woman's right to choose for the simply fact that the fertilized egg is, for all intents and purposes, a part of her body, and no one should have the right to tell another person what to do with their own body. Whether or not having an abortion or using emergency contraception is unethical is another question entirely, but then, Buddhism is a type of 'religious individualism' in that the teachings on kamma focus on individual actions and their consequences, so ethics are more or less a personal matter that each individual must explore and develop on their own, although guidance is certainly advised. The way I see it, Buddhist ethics aren't entirely black or white, i.e., they aren't seen in terms of ethical and unethical as much as skillful and unskillful.

Actions are understood to have consequences, and actions which cause harm to others and/or ourselves are considered to be unskillful and to be avoided, but the Buddha never condemned people merely for making unskillful choices or breaking the precepts (e.g., Angulimala). He simply urged them to learn from their mistakes and to make an effort to renounce their unskillful behaviour with the understanding that skillful behaviour leads to long-term welfare and happiness. At worst, having an abortion or using emergency contraception can be considered an unskillful action which one should refrain from doing in the future, but I wouldn't consider it "immoral" unless the intent behind it was truly malicious.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    I asked if it was "wrong" to take antibiotics, since antibiotics kill bacteria. He said that if our intention was to kill bacteria so that we could continue to live, so that we could continue to do our Buddhist practice, so that we could benefit all sentient beings, then the negative karma of killing bacteria was far out-weighed by the positive karma created by our intentions.

Bacteria are not of the kingdom 'Animalia' and can in no way (that I can conceive of) be considered sentient beings. Killing a bacterium with an antibiotic is no worse karmically speaking than eating a salad.

Mtns
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    There is some controversy over this subject, however, because the Buddha never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo, although he does state in MN 38 that conception requires three things: (1) the mother (i.e., a fertile egg), (2) the father (i.e., a sperm cell), and (3) the gandhabba (stream of consciousness) (source).
    Actually, the sutta is as follows:
    Here, there is the union of the mother and father [sexual intercourse], but it is not the mother’s season and the gandhabba is not present - in this case there is no conception of an embryo in a womb.

Here, there is the union of the mother and father, and it is the mother’s season [ovum], but the gandhabba is not present - in this case too there is no conception of an embryo in a womb.

But when there is the union of the mother and father, and it is the mother’s season, and the gandhabba [sperm] is present, through the union of these three things the conception of an embryo in a womb takes place.

The word gandabba means 'sperm', based in the meaning of 'scent' and 'seed'. The suttas state:
    At Savatthi. "Bhikkhus, I will teach you about the devas (gods) of the gandhabba order. Listen to that...."
    <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p"And what, bhikkhus, are the devas of the gandhabba order? There are, bhikkhus, devas dwelling in the fragrant roots, devas dwelling in the fragrant heartwood, devas dwelling in the fragrant softwood, devas dwelling in fragrant leaves, devas dwelling in fragrant flowers, devas dwelling in fragrant fruits, devas dwelling in fragrant sap and devas dwelling in fragrant scents." <O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p

"These bhikkhus are called the devas of the gandhabba order."

SN 31.1
    Commentary by Bhikkhu Bodhi: <O:p</O:p
    The gandhabbas are associated with fragrant substances, no doubt because the word is based on the stem gandha, meaning scent.

Sexual mating ritual described in the Gandhabbasamyutta, SN 31.13:
    He gives food, he gives drink, he gives clothing, he gives a vehicle, he gives a garland, he gives a fragrance, he gives an unguent (massage oil), he gives a bed, he gives a dwelling and he gives a lamp. <O:p</O:p
    Gandhabba are called 'gods', particularly 'devas', because the scented seeds found in flowers, plants, etc, are the forces of creation.

To end, the gandhabba in MN 38 is simply the male sperm (despite what various monks who are obsessed with evangelising rebirth have to say).

:)
    edited April 2010
    I believe that Ajahn Brahmavamso makes some good points in support of his view that fertilized ova and very early embryos outside the mother's womb aren't reckoned as human life because they lack sensitivity to painful or pleasant stimuli.
    Obviously, Ajahn Brahmavamso is out of line with the Buddha-Dhamma again.

The Buddha-Dhamma does not teach pleasant & painful feeling (vedana) is suffering.

The Buddha-Dhamma teaches the thought conception that grasps at experience with 'self-view' is suffering.

It follows an embryo does not have thought conception & therefore does not suffer.
    ...whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither pleasant or painful, he abides contemplating (observing) impermanence in those feelings, contemplating (observing) fading away, contemplating (observing) cessation, contemplating (observing) relinquishment (letting go). Contemplating (observing) thus, he does not cling (think about) to anything in the world. When he does not cling (think about), he is not agitated, he personally attains Nibbana.

MN 37
    edited April 2010
    B.G.02.

You getting a little modern here thus opening up the topic for interpretation. This matters often depend on personal circumstances.

Of karma or action, which bears results or consequences, the Buddha taught 'karma is intention'. So considering the intention here is most important.

It follows, for the most part, Buddhism would not recommend abortion because abortion especially can cause suffering to the woman having the abortion. The woman may have regrets, feel guilt, saddness, etc, which naturally arises from aborting that which was biologically & psychology part of her.

Thus many women (not all) need counselling & support after an abortion.

However, often women have abortions because they are desperate; because they do not think their circumstances are suitable for having a child.

I have a good friend who used to counsel women before they had an abortion. She described most of them as 'desparate' - no family, no money, no partner, etc.

So whether suffering occurs in a strong way depends on intention.

Wise Buddhists generally do not hold inflexible views on such matters.

These are my opinions.

Kind regards

DD

edited April 2010
    The word 'gandabba means 'sperm', based in the meaning of 'scent' and 'seed'.

From what I understand, this is how Ajahn Buddhadasa translated this term, but that's certainly not how it's traditionally been defined. The term in relation to rebirth isn't explained in the suttas, and it only occurs in one other place in a similar context (MN 93).

I believe, as does Bhikkhu Bodhi, that the interpretation of gandhabba as "stream of consciousness" is a reasonable one, mostly stemming from the passage in DN 15 that mentions consciousness "descending into the mothers' womb" (The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha, n. 411).
    edited April 2010
    From what I understand, this is how Ajahn Buddhadasa translated this term...
    Buddhadasa who?

The suttas describe it in the Gandhabbasamyutta.
    ..but that's certainly not how it's traditionally been defined.
    The Buddha warned against 'tradition'.
    The term in relation to rebirth isn't explained in the suttas, and it only occurs in one other place in a similar context (MN 93).
    I know, where the Brahmins were questioned what caste the gandhabba is?

Its use in only two suttas, divorced from the subject matter of those suttas, shows it is not a specific teaching of the Buddha.
    I believe, as does Bhikkhu Bodhi, that the interpretation of gandhabba as "consciousness" or "stream of consciousness" is a reasonable one,
    It is completely unreasonable given the Pali for consciousness is 'vinnana'.
    mostly stemming from the passage in DN 15 that mentions consciousness "descending into the mothers' womb"
    It is obvious the Buddha did not speak DN 15 given the many contradictions in DN 15 with the scores of other suttas about D.O.

DN 15 does not mention the sense spheres, which Buddha called one of his core teachings in MN 115 and AN 3.61. DN 15 uses a Hindu definition of nama-rupa plus a Hindu use of consciousness. All suttas teach consciousness in D.O. are the six kinds of consciousness.

The Buddha did not speak DN 15.

edited April 2010
    Obviously, Ajahn Brahmavamso is out of line with the Buddha-Dhamma again.

The Buddha-Dhamma does not teach pleasant & painful feeling (vedana) is suffering.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, DD. Did you read the whole thing? I think you're missing the point of what he's saying.
    edited April 2010
    ...consciousness "descending into the mothers' womb".
    You mean a translation. The Pali Dictionary translates "developing in the mother's womb".

edited April 2010
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here, DD. Did you read the whole thing? I think you're missing the point of what he's saying.
    I would say you're missing the point of what I'm saying.

As for AB's superstitions, they are always as clear as day.

If an embryo has consciousness, i.e., as gained from the genetic material in the ovum & sperm, this still does not imply there is suffering.

AB is attempting to assert there is a "being" or "atman" there.

"Being" arises from thought conception, as the Buddha taught in the Dependent Origination, under the subject of 'becoming'.

An embryo is probably void of thought conception, as child psychologists have studied.

Even a jellyfish has some primitive form of consciousness (from its genetic material).

As as student of the Pali suttas, when are you going to accept the Buddha never taught consciousness is reborn and never taught re-linking consciousness?

:smilec:
    The Blessed One asked him, “Sàti is it true that the following pernicious view has arisen in you: ‘As I understand the dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders, not another?”

“Exactly so, bhante. As I understand the dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness that runs and wanders, not another.”
    <O:p
    “What is that consciousness, Sàti?”

“Bhante, it is that which speaks and feels and experiences here and there the result of good and bad actions.“
    <O:p
    “You foolish fellow (mogha-purisa), to whom have you ever known me to teach dhamma in that way? You foolish fellow, have I not stated in many discourses that consciousness is dependently arisen, since without a condition consciousness does not come into being?

But you, you foolish fellow, have misrepresented us by your wrong grasp and injured yourself and stored up much demerit (apunna); for this will lead to your harm and suffering for a long time.”

Just as fire is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it burns - when fire burns dependent on logs, it is reckoned as a log fire; when fire burns dependent on sticks, it is reckoned as a stick fire; when fire burns dependent on grass, it is reckoned as a grass fire; when fire burns dependent on cowdung, it is reckoned as a cowdung fire; when fire burns dependent on chaff, it is reckoned as a chaff fire; when fire burns dependent on rubbish, it is reckoned as a rubbish fire - so too, consciousness is reckoned by the particular condition dependent on which it arises.

When consciousness arises dependent on eye and forms, it is reckoned as eye-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on nose and odours, it is reckoned as nose-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on tongue and flavours, it is reckoned as tongue-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on body and tangibles, it is reckoned as body-consciousness; when consciousness arises dependent on mind and phenomena, it is reckoned as mind-consciousness.
    The Buddha did not say what AB attributes to him. The very first sentence comes from the Vibhaṅga, which the Buddha did not speak.
    edited April 2010
    It is completely unreasonable given the Pali for consciousness is 'vinnana'.

Not necessarily, especially given the context.
    It is obvious the Buddha did not speak DN 15 given the many contradictions in DN 15 with the scores of other suttas about D.O.

DN 15 does not mention the sense spheres, which Buddha called one of his core teachings in MN 115 and AN 3.61. DN 15 uses a Hindu definition of nama-rupa plus a Hindu use of consciousness. All suttas teach consciousness in D.O. are the six kinds of consciousness.

The Buddha did not speak DN 15.

A convenient way to explain away suttas that you don't like. :)
    edited April 2010
    Not necessarily, especially given the context.
    I have explained the context. The word gandhabba does not mean vinanna.
    A convenient way to explain away suttas that you don't like.
    Actually, it is not. As I stated, there are scores of suttas about Dependent Origination and each describe it in basically the same way, especially what consciousness is.

Thus the one divergent sutta is caste aside.

The Buddha gave many discourses that imply rebirth. I do not caste them aside. Those suttas are about karma.

edited April 2010
    “If vinnāṇa (consciousness) were not to descend into the mother’s womb, would nāma-rūpa take shape in the womb?

Certainly not, Venerable Sir.”

Nāma-rūpa = feeling (vedana) perception (sannā) contact (phasso) will (cetanā) attention (manasikāro) and material form (rūpa ).
    Here AB is caught out contradicting himself.
    DN 15 does state what is written above but does not define nama-rupa as written above.
    DN 15 defines nama-rupa in the Hindu manner below:
    And this is the way to understand how, from name-&-form as a requisite condition comes contact. If the qualities, traits, themes, & indicators by which there is a description of name-group (mental activity) were all absent, would designation-contact with regard to the form-group (the physical properties) be discerned?"
    In DN 15, name-form is literally "naming" activity of naming forms.

Brahm is caught out again, trying to concoct a soup of Brahministic views.

:lol:
    edited April 2010
    Point 1d, above, shows that there cannot be consciousness without feeling + perception + contact + will + attention + material form (nāma-rūpa). When one manifests, so does the other, immediately.
    Then how is a bhikkhu conscious of the state of the cessation of perception & feeling?

...in the case of a monk who has attained the cessation of perception & feeling, his bodily fabrications have ceased & subsided, his verbal fabrications ... his mental fabrications have ceased & subsided, his vitality is not exhausted, his heat has not subsided & his faculties are exceptionally clear.
    AB sounds very confused, mistaking the cognitive for the meta-physical. He is teaching spiritual materialism.

edited April 2010
    I would say you're missing the point of what I'm saying.

As for AB's superstitions, they are always as clear as day.

If an embryo has consciousness, i.e., as gained from the genetic material in the ovum & sperm, this still does not imply there is suffering.

AB is attempting to assert there is a "being" or "atman" there.

"Being" arises from thought conception, as the Buddha taught in the Dependent Origination, under the subject of 'becoming'.

An embryo is probably void of thought conception, as child psychologists have studied.

Even a jellyfish has some primitive form of consciousness (from its genetic material).

Sorry, DD, but I don't quote follow you here. From what I can see, he's saying that consciousness can't manifest without a developed nervous system, and if there's no consciousness, there can't be said to be a "sentient being." I see nothing inherently wrong with that.
    As as student of the Pali suttas, when are you going to accept the Buddha never taught consciousness is reborn and never taught re-linking consciousness?

What makes you think I accept that the Buddha taught re-linking consciousness? You should now by now that I don't since we've had this conversation before.
    edited April 2010
    Sorry, DD, but I don't quote follow you here. From what I can see, he's saying that consciousness can't manifest without a developed nervous system, and if there's no consciousness, there can't be said to be a "sentient being." I see nothing inherently wrong with that.
    A sentient being 'breathes'. The Buddha encouraged us to train in not killing 'breathing things".

For example, a human being in a coma or under anethsetic is generally not conscious.

Apart from that, if consciousness can't manifest without a developed nervous system, then how can it be floating in space, as a "gandhabba", looking for an embryo to enter?
    What makes you think I accept that the Buddha taught re-linking consciousness? You should now by now that I don't since we've had this conversation before.
    OK.

m9ouxl.gif
    edited April 2010
    I have explained the context. The word gandhabba does not mean vinanna.

Yes, we've established that we disagree about the definition of the term gandhabba. I accept Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation, mostly because of his excellent Pali scholarship and the fact that it's consistent with the passage in DN 15, which you don't accept. I'd be more persuaded by your argument if it can be shown that gandhabba is used to refer to semen in any other part of the Canon, especially the Vinaya.
    edited April 2010
    Yes, we've established that we disagree about the definition of the term gandhabba. I accept Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation, mostly because of his excellent Pali scholarship and the fact that it's consistent with the passage in DN 15, which you don't accept. I'd be more persuaded by your argument if it can be shown that gandhabba is used to refer to semen in any other part of the Canon, especially the Vinaya.
    His scholarship is not excellent. Using dictionaries compiled by others is not scholarship. It is as the Buddha described as a string of blind men. Given you yourself are not fluent in Pali, how can you judge?

Bodhi makes many many errors. Plus his commentaries are bizzare & contradict the suttas themselves.

How can it be consistant when the word gandhabba does not even exist in DN 15 and where does it exist in the Vinaya?

• edited April 2010
    Boy oh boy is this fun. ;)
    edited April 2010
    Boy oh boy is this fun. ;)
    Obviously, you are intrigued to be rivetted to your screen and even lost control by posting.

edited April 2010
    His scholarship is not excellent.
    Bodhi cannot even translated 'avicca pacca sankhara' correctly, including simply the 'paccaya' let alone the 'sankhara'.

Cannot translate terms like 'sabbakaya', 'kayasankhara', 'vacisankhara', 'cittasankhara'.

Brother.

:o
  • edited April 2010
    Ahahahahaha! :) Seriously I did get a good laugh out of it. It's like two mathematicians arguing over Einstein's work. I tend to avoid the tedium myself, but you guys look like you're having fun with it, so carry on. *evil laugh*
    edited April 2010
    How can it be consistant when the word gandhabba does not even exist in DN 15 and where does it exist in the Vinaya?

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I never said that the term gandhabba was used DN 15 or the Vinaya. In regard to DN 15, I said that I think "the interpretation of gandhabba as 'stream of consciousness' is a reasonable one, mostly stemming from the passage in DN 15 that mentions consciousness 'descending into the mothers' womb'." But since you don't accept DN 15, there seems to be little reason to pursue this further.

As for the reference to the Vinaya, I said, "I'd be more persuaded by your argument if it can be shown that gandhabba is used to refer to semen in any other part of the Canon, especially the Vinaya." I mentioned the Vinaya because I know that it explicitly mentions semen, and if the term used to refer semen happens to be "gandhabba," I'll find your interpretation much more persuasive.
    edited April 2010
    Ahahahahaha! :) Seriously I did get a good laugh out of it. It's like two mathematicians arguing over Einstein's work. I tend to avoid the tedium myself, but you guys look like you're having fun with it, so carry on. *evil laugh*
    Actually, it is not.

Here, the Buddha's reputation as an enlightened being is at stake.

Jason is asserting the Buddha advised an embryo comes from three things: sexual union, ovum and floating consciousness but no sperm.

:confused:
    edited April 2010
    Jason is asserting the Buddha advised an embryo comes from three things: sexual union, ovum and floating consciousness but no sperm.

Really? Where did I assert that? I'm pretty sure that I mentioned "sperm," and I don't recall mentioning a "floating consciousness":
    There is some controversy over this subject, however, because the Buddha never explicitly states when consciousness arises in an embryo, although he does state in MN 38 that conception requires three things: (1) the mother (i.e., a fertile egg), (2) the father (i.e., a sperm cell), and (3) the gandhabba (stream of consciousness). Additionally, the Theravadin commentaries merely state that with the union of the sperm and egg, consciousness (citta) can arise, but they don't give an explicit time as to when this occurs. In essence, there's no way to be absolutely sure of the moment when consciousness arises in an embryo.
  • edited April 2010
    *shrug* I've no doubt the Buddha was fully enlightened, extremely compassionate concerning the cessation of human suffering, and a genius to boot. That doesn't make him perfect. Nor would any of his disciples have been, nor any who have transmitted his teachings down throughout the ages.

Annnnnnd, that's about all I've got to say about that. I don't have a dog in this fight and it doesn't concern me in the least. Sorry for stepping in, so I'll just step out now. I'm fixing someone's computer right now anyway, so ciao for now.
    edited April 2010

Well, at least one of us is having fun. :D
    edited April 2010
    ...'stream of consciousness'
    the word stream is 'sota'. Sota is not found in DN 15.

But you are defining the whole of the Buddhist teaching using a vague sentence found in one sutta that contradicts the entirety of the suttas.

OK. So the six types of consciousness listed in 100's of sutta are wrong?

:confused:
    there seems to be little reason to pursue this further.
    Indeed.

Whilst the scored of suttas describe ignorant contact, that is, consciousness affected or conditoned (paccaya) by ignorance, this is not important.
    As for the reference to the Vinaya, I said, "I'd be more persuaded by your argument if it can be shown that gandhabba is used to refer to semen in any other part of the Canon, especially the Vinaya." I mentioned the Vinaya because I know that it explicitly mentions semen, and if the term used to refer semen happens to be "gandhabba," I'll find your interpretation much more persuasive.
    Semen is fluid. It is not one seed or cell that stimulates life.

The word gandhabba is used in myriad ways in the suttas. Who knows what it actually means?
    "[8] And furthermore, the ocean is the abode of such mighty beings as whales, whale-eaters, and whale-eater-eaters; asuras, nagas, and gandhabbas. There are in the ocean beings one hundred leagues long, two hundred... three hundred... four hundred... five hundred leagues long. The fact that the ocean is the abode of such mighty beings as whales, whale-eaters, and whale-eater-eaters; asuras, nagas, and gandhabbas; and there are in the ocean beings one hundred leagues long, two hundred... three hundred... four hundred... five hundred leagues long: This is the eighth amazing and astounding fact about the ocean that, as they see it again and again, has the Asuras greatly pleased with the ocean.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.5.05.than.html

But in MN 38, natural reality tells us sperm is reasonable, meaning 'scent', consistent with the suttas in the SN.

edited April 2010
    What about after the Buddha enlightenment?

On one occasion the Blessed One was traveling along the road between Ukkattha and Setabya, and Dona the brahman was also traveling along the road between Ukkattha and Setabya. Dona the brahman saw, in the Blessed One's footprints, wheels with 1,000 spokes, together with rims and hubs, complete in all their features. On seeing them, the thought occurred to him, "How amazing! How astounding! These are not the footprints of a human being!"

Then the Blessed One, leaving the road, went to sit at the root of a certain tree — his legs crossed, his body erect, with mindfulness established to the fore.

Then Dona, following the Blessed One's footprints, saw him sitting at the root of the tree: confident, inspiring confidence, his senses calmed, his mind calmed, having attained the utmost control & tranquility, tamed, guarded, his senses restrained, a naga.

On seeing him, he went to him and said, "Master, are you a deva?"

"No, brahman, I am not a deva."

"Are you a gandhabba?"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html
    edited April 2010
    the word stream is 'sota'. Sota is not found in DN 15.

Seriously, DD, I think you need to take the time to read what I write a little more carefully. I never said that it was.
    But you are defining the whole of the Buddhist teaching using a vague sentence found in one sutta that contradicts the entirety of the suttas.

No, I'm defining one term based on a related but not entirely identical passage because the term itself isn't explicitly defined anywhere in the Canon, at least not in relation to it's role in conception.
    OK. So the six types of consciousness listed in 100's of sutta are wrong?

Of course not, what gives you that idea?
    edited April 2010
    What about after the Buddha enlightenment?
    "Are you a [sperm cell]?"

or

"Are you a [stream of consciousness]?"

Yeah, neither definition really makes much sense in that context. :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think that there is a relationship between birth control and abortion that is distressing for everyone concerned. I do believe abortion should be legal simply because I don't believe a fetus suffers as much as it will suffer if it goes through life without a mother and father. Thats just my take, but yes it should be legal. Now birth control that is clearly a good thing to me. Yet at the same time even the pill together with condom is not 100 effective. I do think it is like 99.99 so that means good enough. The condom alone on the other hand it is extremely foolish to have sex with your partner everyday and not expect a baby sooner or later. Whether a abortion should be legal or not I don't think we all can agree, but I think one thing we can agree on is that an abortion is unpleasant. So either use pill + condom or only have sex rarely. I learned that the hard way before too.
    edited April 2010
    To end, the gandhabba in MN 38 is simply the male sperm (despite what various monks who are obsessed with evangelising rebirth have to say).

Rereading the thread, I've realized that I've overlooked this part, and the source of our disagreement. The translation of gandhabba as "stream of consciousness" really only makes sense in the context of rebirth as an actual process that occurs over multiple lifetimes, whereas "sperm" makes sense either way.

While I don't necessarily believe in this kind of rebirth myself, I'm still not convinced that the Buddha didn't. There are simply far too many passages that suggest rebirth was an integral part of his philosophy, hence my acceptance of Bodhi's interpretation. But I see your point.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There are simply far too many passages that suggest rebirth was an integral part of his philosophy...

There probably is something called rebirth but

1) It is not a part of the core Buddhist teachings as the DO thus it is not an "integral part" of the core Buddhist teachings.

2) It is certainly not relevant to the cessation of suffering here and now

3) The Buddha himself advised not to entertain this idea as it is associated with asava aka defilement and clinging