Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Plants - sentient?????

edited January 2011 in Buddhism Today
I have had this doubt for about a day now :) .... Are plants just like animals?????? For literally they are immortal - for trees die only if their natural things are blocked and killed(of course i am not speaking about those plants, or rather, grasses, which die in some months naturally)... Is my opinion wrong??? Or is there an explanation??? Or is it like this,
The state of being a tree is a lowly birth resulted from de-merits, hence, a tree has to serve others(I think this explains why trees are helpful in many ways) until it gets merits, when it annihilates and gets born again to lead itself to enlightenment...
That was how I explained it to myself...

Love,
Nidish

Comments

• Stop trying to explain things. :D
  • Ah, but we are also serving the plants OP. They need CO2, we supply it :D
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    @Nidish, Seriously though we never calm our minds down enough to see what's right in front of us when we keep speculating, keep intellectualizing reality. Reality isn't all that complicated. In fact, it's too simple for humans. We're so intelligent that we have to work hard to see the simple facts, which are expressed in Buddhism as Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta. Anicca/Impermanence means that everything changes; nothing is immune to this. Anatta/Not-Self means there's no independent existence to any thing/phenomena, all things are interconnected and interdependent (temporary) arisings that will dissolve and become new temporary arisings. We humans, all animals, all plants, all living and non-living materials, are included in these. Dukkha is our difficulties and frustrations from not seeing Anicca and Anatta clearly. Not seeing Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta, we have thirst/craving and expectations for a world that is otherwise; clinging to our desires, ourselves, our possessions, we experience types of pain.

That work for ya? Just see that life, all "things", are transient and so are not really what they seem to be at all. The Buddha's teachings are nothing less than a way for humans to see these simple truths for themselves, and so to replace wrong thoughts with right thoughts (right view). With firm Right View in place, we no longer act contrary to nature; not acting contrary to nature, we find peace.

Namaste
  • Trees do not live forever - but they can live for a very long time :)
  • So You are trying to tell me that trees will die even if they are not hindered in life?????????????
  • Assuming the tree lives in a suitable environment for eternity, then it probably won't die. I mean the tree is half dead.... in a sense. It's trunk is pushed out layers of something (I forgot) that are dead hardened cells.

What kills a tree is it's environments, geographical disturbances, human irresponsiblity, insects etc.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited January 2011
    @Nidish, Whatever anyone else would say, all living things arise due to conditions and are supported by conditions. There will come a time when the conditions will not be there to support trees; even if it means the Earth has come to an end, the globe's been flooded, the atmosphere is over-polluted and the sunlight no longer shines onto the leaves for photosynthesis. At some point the conditions no longer support life. Nothing lasts forever; if you have in your head that anything lasts forever, then work on understanding Anicca. Not even the sun, which has always been here in human history, will always exist. In fact think about each thing, such as trees, and how they might come to their end; try to find anything, anything at all, that lasts (as in a "thing" or a "phenomena").
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have had this doubt for about a day now :) .... Are plants just like animals??????
    No.
    For literally they are immortal
    :lol: You ARE kidding.... right??
    for trees die only if their natural things are blocked and killed(of course i am not speaking about those plants, or rather, grasses, which die in some months naturally)... Is my opinion wrong???
    Yes, trust me, it's completely, totally entirely wrong.
    Annuals flower and generally live for only one year. Biannuals flower every other year, and self-seed. perennials flower every year, and continue to thrive for much longer. A laburnum tree is relatively short-lived as it has a "life-span" of between 20 to 30 years. A sequoia hangs around for a bit longer. Some yew trees live for two, maybe three even occasionally (rarely) 4000 years. Some Olive trees make it to 2000 years.....But everything has a beginning, a middle and an end. Even trees. Even if they last a natural life-span, they will die.
    Or is there an explanation??? Or is it like this,
    The state of being a tree is a lowly birth resulted from de-merits, hence, a tree has to serve others(I think this explains why trees are helpful in many ways) until it gets merits, when it annihilates and gets born again to lead itself to enlightenment...
    That was how I explained it to myself...

Love,
    Nidish
    Trees are non-sentient plants and have no coherent 'logic-reason' mechanism, although research shows plants react to light, sound and being pruned or cut. But it's an inherent survival aspect, it doesn't make them sentient.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    So You are trying to tell me that trees will die even if they are not hindered in life?????????????
    Yes.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Assuming the tree lives in a suitable environment for eternity, then it probably won't die.
    errr, yes. It will.
    I mean the tree is half dead.... in a sense. It's trunk is pushed out layers of something (I forgot) that are dead hardened cells.
    Just like our hair, nails, outer skin layer.......
    What kills a tree is it's environments, geographical disturbances, human irresponsiblity, insects etc.
    ....and old age.
    Some humans die of old age, you know.
    My father died of old age.
    Granted, he had many things wrong with him, but none of them actually killed him. Nothing malfunctioned or accelerated his end.
    He just had total age-related system failure.

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    One time I was with my Nono (Italian for grandfather) and I was whacking plants with a stick. He looked at me very concerned and said 'nooooooooooooo!' they can FEEL that!!

He was the greatest.

Is it the truth? I don't know.
  • edited January 2011
    Of course plants are sentient beings. Scientific studies have been done on this; plants have feelings. I don't know what "dependent arising" and impermanence have to do with the question.

And BTW, redwoods do seem to be immortal, in the sense that even when they die (they can live 1000 yrs. or more), new redwoods sprout from their fallen trunks.
  • compassionate_warrior, say what now? Since when have there been studies showing plants have feelings? I am curious to see the source of this.
  • There have been some interesting studies that show plants react when threatened, or when a leaf is cut off, when people yell at them, etc. They thrive when people talk softly to them regularly. This was 15 or 20 years ago I read these studies, I don't know if I could find one now.
  • How do you separate a reaction based on feelings to a simple process? I mean, water flows around a knife, but that doesn't mean it's afraid of the knife. A flower may lean towards sunlight, but that's not a conscious decision, that's how they're structure. Anyway, I'll have a rummage through my university database to see if I can dig something like that up.
  • But, don't you accept that trees ARE living???? So the next question is, do they suffer??? If I was a tree I would have suffered.. So, can't they achieve enlightenment?????

Metta
  • edited January 2011
    I take your point, Shift. I distinctly recall that the article I read described the plant's reaction to threat as a "scream" (I forget how this was measured; electro-magnetic field alterations, maybe??), but that was the researcher's take.

Yes, plants are living, Nidish, and they do suffer. But they can't achieve enlightenment, because they're not capable of practicing, meditating, being mindful, etc. I suppose you could say that providing shade is compassionate "practice", but I think we're pushing the envelope.
  • Nidish, would you argue that plants have thoughts?
  • Nidish, would you argue that plants have thoughts?
    I dunno... well, can't every living thing think????????????????????

• Nidish, well as far as I know thought originates and is contained to the brain. others seem to believe that thought may originates from elsewhere, but can only be observed and measured in the brain.

In my case that doesn't leave any room for feeling, thinking or suffering by plants, since they don't have brains.
  • Plant's are not sentient. It is a grey area to say that sheep are!:)
    So Nidish, what are you going to live on then, if you cannot harm a single living thing - including plants?
    Sure as heck is some good weight-loss system....
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited January 2011
    In theory the jyllyfish "Turritopsis nutricula" is immortal, as it can reverse it's aging when mature.

[quote] It does this through the cell development process of transdifferentiation. Cell transdifferentiation is when the jellyfish "alters the differentiated state of the cell and transforms it into a new cell." In this process the medusa of the immortal jellyfish is transformed into the polyps of a new polyp colony. First, the umbrella reverts itself and then the tentacles and mesoglea get resorbed. The reverted medusa then attaches itself to the substrate by the end that had been at the opposite end of the umbrella and starts giving rise to new polyps to form the new colony. Theoretically, this process can go on infinitely, effectively rendering the jellyfish biologically immortal [...] [/quote]

I have no idea what the quote means, other than it means the jellyfish will make itself kid again, grow up and repeat potentially forever :)
    I do that every day..... :D
  • edited January 2011
    Thanks for the research and references, Shift+1 :)

What do you think of these articles/theories?
  • edited January 2011
    FWIW: I think in terms of genes. It's the genes which survive in biology. The ones in our bodies are literally billions of years old in our 13 billion year old universe (if Big Bang makes sense).

Individual plants (and animals like us) are their vehicle and almost a by-product.

That accounts for the biological organisms. But we are special because we are sentient. Why?

Because as we all know a pinprick of infinite mind grabs hold of a fertilized egg and spends about 80 years in the human biological form conveniently but not intentionally provided by the genes. We're like parasites or symbiotics on the scene the genes have worked so hard to keep going!

There are many plots and subplots going on; parallel processes..., you know..., Humanity is not the only thing "happening."

Kid's stuff really. :D:D:D:D:D:D (feigned arrogance for humorous effect).

• I once pretended I was a tree, after eating a funny mushroom. I suffered :)
    (True story)

Trees. plants animals and insects, regardless of whether they are sentient or not, should be treated with respect
  • That Wikipedia article was great, Shiftplusone. I think this is an area of research we should keep our eyes on. I've always thought plants were sentient, to some degree. Why shouldn't they be--they're alive.
  • yes, life categories: Autotrofa (Conscious and Unconscious), Heterotrofa (Conscious and Unconscious)
  • Whether sounds are pleasant or harsh is a subjective matter which requires a whole set of things in order to be judged - namely sensory organs receiving sound and a system to evaluate it with. Certain animals (humans included) use sound to navigate and communicate as a mean to survive. To countless animal species sound doesn't matter, so they do not hear. Sound doesn't matter to plants either, so they don't hear. Why on earth it should be beneficial to plants to be spoken to, I sincerely cannot fathom. The idea lacks any kind of meaning. How plants should be able to experience and remember a caretaker, let alone evaluate the caretakers intentions is completely beyond me.

To be fair, I just found some kind of evidence that certain plants may respond to sound - a Mordecai Jaffe made dwarf pea plants grow at double rate by making a "warble" sound. A warble-sound, however, has little to do with the sweet compliments from a caretaker.

Whatever plants do, they do it in a "planty" way with reference to other plants, to scare away herbivores or to lure pollinators. The only way to communicate with plants will be to use such channels - and the messages will be limited to "I am infected with a virus" or "I am emitting B-rays" (which would be wrong speech, as humans cannot emit B-rays or hormones warning about viruses).
  • Studies have shown that it's not the verbal content of what's said to them, it's the tone of voice that's used. And it may not be sound that's being perceived by the plants. It may have to do with the energy field of the person interacting with the plant. If someone is angry, perhaps the charge of their electro-magnetic field changes. I think there was something to that effect in one of the articles ShiftPlusOne provided. There's so much that goes on on the energetic level, that we're not aware of.
  • sonic energy transfers as vibrations to autotrofa.earth ...transfer which has information in it and that can lead to communication.
  • Right you are, Vincenzi: sonic energy transfers as vibrations. And our energy field carries information, which often leads to a very subtle form of communication. I couldn't agree more.
  • There's so much that goes on on the energetic level, that we're not aware of.
    I agree that life's electro-magnetic properties is a neglected field. More research needs to be done, and more of what is known now needs to get into science textbooks.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Okay, so going back to square one here: let's assume plants are sentient and thus, according to Buddhism, we shouldn't harm or kill them. So here's my question to you who subscribe to this view:

What are you having for dinner? If you don't kill and eat animals and you don't kill and eat plants, that severely limits your dietary choices.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a silly thread (again, and again, and again, every time it comes up). Plants are not sentient beings. They are not aware of their own existence the way an animal is.
    Mountains, I asked the same question. I await, similarly, an answer.....
  • edited January 2011
    My Dzogchen Lama (native Tibetan) enjoyed the chicken we made available to him when he was a guest at our house. He enjoyed the 'sentient-or-not' vegetables, tea and fruit too.

He told me a story about when he first went to the West, where he wrote home reporting that he ate hamburgers from _MacDonald's_ (not kidding) and his relatives and Dzogchen colleagues wondered if he were rolling in too much money because of the good eating! :eek:

Sooooo, my point is he obviously knows something we don't because some ideas in this thread are looking a little threadbare (haha) and misconstrued. Very interesting stuff however. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. :)

• I ditto Roger; who said Buddhists don't eat meat? If they can eat meat, they can eat plants. But I agree that plants aren't aware of their own existence, like humans are. But are animals aware of their own existence? Are they capable of self-reflection?
  • :whatever: sentient is anything besides Buddha :thumbsup:
  • compassionate_warrior, well they've shown on mythbusters that the polygraph can be affected by all kinds of things. So when they eliminated as many variables as possible, the polygraph and EEG didn't show any reaction from the plant.
    http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/09/episode_61_deadly_straw_primar.html

As for the 'scream', my uni database only has NewScientist from 2000, but the article is in 1998, so I can't really read it. However, from the first paragraph it seems like they looked at the ethylene released and decoded it at sound at 2khz. I think a lot of things, decoded as sound, would sound like a scream. So again, it's not conclusive at all. Certainly not enough to conclude anything about a plant's sentience.

I think it's all clever wording by the researchers. By saying 'scream', 'cry', 'violently convulsing' and so on, the interpretation is a little distorted. I could say "the rusty hinges cause the door to squeak and rumble when closed" or I could say "the door had a violent spasm attack and shrieked in agony". That changes the implications entirely.

So yeah, I am swayed a little from "that's ridiculous and I don't care to hear of it" to "hmm, interesting".

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    compassionate_warrior, well they've shown on mythbusters that the polygraph can be affected by all kinds of things. So when they eliminated as many variables as possible, the polygraph and EEG didn't show any reaction from the plant.
    http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/09/episode_61_deadly_straw_primar.html
    i saw this episode and was going to bring that up. i believe i remember them saying that the results of the study that compassionate_warrior referenced were never able to be replicated and therefore did not fit the scientific method.
  • There is no such thing as an "energy field" around humans which can do anything. We radiate heat because we burn oxygen (respirate) as a part of turning adenosine diphosphate in to adenosine triphosphate, which makes our muscle cells able to constrict and thus our limbs move. It's not all that magical or mystical.

There has been conducted a lot of research into the fields of parapsychology and not one single time has anything useful come out of it. And it never ever (like this plant-thing) lives up to the standards of controlled, scientific experiments. You know - the kind of research which makes humans capable of traveling to outer space, modifying the genes of other beings, splitting atoms, rebuilding cell structures, conjuring antimatter, manipulating light, build computers, robots, artificial intelligences, transmitting sound and picture - even in 3D..
    It's not like "science" is a system based on a fixed set of principles which makes it subject to the same flaws as, say, religion and other anecdote based systems. There is a reason why a specific recipe must be followed, and if you follow that and have a bit of luck you will work miracles - real, undeniable, quantifiable miracles. Miracles which can then be performed by anyone who wants to learn the method involved in the "magic" - say, impregnating a woman by joining meiotic cells.
    Even if we didn't want to use our own logic to make these plant "theories" fall apart, we could at least have the courtesy of listening when real scientists (the ones creating the real miracles) tells us, that this is just bogus. They if anyone know what is science and what is not.

Buddhists brag about how Buddhism and scientific method does not rule out one another, and Buddhists often even claim that Buddhism is scientific in its world-view. It would suit Buddhists then to differentiate between pseudoscience and real science, as to not make themselves look silly.

I also wish that magic was real as in stories, that plants were sentient, that animals could talk, that I could move things with my mind, that there were gods and miracles and secret potions and unicorns - but there are not. Our world is boring in that sense - but then just look at how magnificent it is, just as it is. All the fascinating creatures, places and phenomenons. All the impossible inventions of man. I'd say we have enough excitement right under our noses - no need to fall for tall tales :)
  • ask them how to do mitochondrial photosynthesis?
    Okay, so going back to square one here: let's assume plants are sentient and thus, according to Buddhism, we shouldn't harm or kill them. So here's my question to you who subscribe to this view:

What are you having for dinner? If you don't kill and eat animals and you don't kill and eat plants, that severely limits your dietary choices.

Sorry to be blunt, but this is a silly thread (again, and again, and again, every time it comes up). Plants are not sentient beings. They are not aware of their own existence the way an animal is.
  • My Dzogchen Lama (native Tibetan) enjoyed the chicken we made available to him when he was a guest at our house. He enjoyed the 'sentient-or-not' vegetables, tea and fruit too.

He told me a story about when he first went to the West, where he wrote home reporting that he ate hamburgers from _MacDonald's_ (not kidding) and his relatives and Dzogchen colleagues wondered if he were rolling in too much money because of the good eating! :eek:

Sooooo, my point is he obviously knows something we don't because some ideas in this thread are looking a little threadbare (haha) and misconstrued. Very interesting stuff however. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. :)
    Well, haven't you read about Buddhist vegetarianism?????? If not, go read it... And I am just too laze to go search and give you a link... But, once, Devadatta(The Buddha's evil cousin) went to The Buddha and said that he would forbid the Bhikkhus to eat meat, and for that matter, anything non-vegetarian. To this, The Buddha immediately rejected it. And elsewhere, I read that Buddhists try not to kill, that is, they could consume meat if they can ensure that it is not killed FOR their consumption... So, one can eat meat if someone offers from their meal... Just that they should not go in search of it, i.e., no killing... And I am not telling you something that I made up... And I guess that monk ate the chicken only because you offered, and he can't stop those merits that you get from serving a Bhikkhu(this point is stressed in many places by The Buddha).

@Mountains It is not the question of what I would do, but rather, whether I can... I need to know whether it is wrong to kill a plant for consumption or anything else... And, as The Buddha has told, the truth is not necessarily what you want it to be.. It would be a lot better if you could give a reason(not necessarily scientific, but even from everyday experiences or even logic)....

Metta

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

It's not like "science" is a system based on a fixed set of principles which makes it subject to the same flaws as, say, religion and other anecdote based systems.

True, it has it's own set of flaws based on limited technology and limited human understanding of phenomena. :) "Real scientists" once told us that germs were a figment of the imagination. Can't see it, can't measure it, therefore it does not exist. Obviously they were wrong. :)

As for the OP, before you can even discuss what living things are sentient, you first have to define what "sentience" is. Without doing so, the discussion is kinda pointless.
  • seeker, I don't think the science community as a whole would claim that things we can't measure don't exist. I am sure there is no article in a peer reviewed journal claiming otherwise. So, a scientist may have said there are no germs, but that would've been his personal opinion, not his scientific hypothesis.

By the way, limited technology and understanding isn't the flaw of science, it's the purpose of science.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    seeker, I don't think the science community as a whole would claim that things we can't measure don't exist. I am sure there is no article in a peer reviewed journal claiming otherwise. So, a scientist may have said there are no germs, but that would've been his personal opinion, not his scientific hypothesis.

By the way, limited technology and understanding isn't the flaw of science, it's the purpose of science.
    We can't prove or measure the alleged fact that ghosts exists, therefore they don't. I think most science minded people agree with that. And anyone who attempts to measure them is considered a "quack". Isn't paranormal studies considered "psudoscience"? Just one example, but that is getting a bit off topic of this thread. )

• That has nothing to do with science, but limited human knowledge - and maybe not a wee bit of the philosophical view called naive realism. Science is a method, knowledge is acquired, remembered data.. If an experiment doesn't live up to the simple guidelines of scientific research, then it's unscientific. If the researcher claims it to be science, he is guilty of committing pseudoscience - a fellony in many countries. A recent case of pseudoscience has cost lives in my country - pseudoscientists are dangerous and corruptive. They are also put in another boat than controversial scientists, whose theories remain disputed and yet unproven, though not unscientific. When something is regarded pseudoscience there's a good reason - it's deluded at best, fraudulent at worst..
  • seeker242, science is what's published in credible, peer-reviewed, scientific journals. I don't think the statement "we can't prove or measure the alleged fact that ghosts exists, therefore they don't" would be found in any such journal. Again, that's opinion, not science. I hope this isn't too off-topic, since it still applies to plant sentience.