Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Plants - sentient?????

13»

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I get you now, Shift. All I can say is check out the film that shows all this, and judge for yourself. The healer was tested in a lab, sitting down, inactive except for raising his healing energy, however he does that. As I recall, he wore a cap full of sensors, and probably had some on other parts of his body as well.

FYI: Roger found a book that sounds similar to the film I recommended: "Biotherapy: A Healing For The 21st Century: The Eastern European Method of Energy Balancing That Anyone Can Master".
  • @Dakini

I do live in Denmark, Europe :)
    Acupuncture is quite widespread and even some doctors do it. It's not officially approved of though.. The market for vitamins and natural medicine is quite large, but disputed. The funny thing is, that here American medical practice is often presented as cutting edge, while Danish practice is considered too conservative and stiff (it takes a lot for new treatments to be approved). Several TV documentaries have shown how Danes travel abroad to find treatment which Danish authorities won't permit due to lack of knowledge about the effects.

Criticism of the American health care system is largely centered around the liberalist insurance-company model because the insurance companies inevitably try to avoid paying treatments. I saw it in theaters, but Micheal Moore's "Psicko" was recently sent on the state channel raising quite the furore among people (not in the media though).

Sorry if I get something misspelled or wrong, I'm heavily braking the fifth precept. I have a smashing pain in my back (I think it's directly translated as "a hold in the back"?) and I've taken multiple pain killers as well as drunk some rum. If anyone read my thread where I told about my recent outbreak of shingles, I tell ya - I'd rather want that again.. Funny how I never ever get sick, and suddenly I get both shingles and back pain - topping two weeks of coughing and an outbreak of allergy towards the guinea pig my girlfriend bought years ago.. whaddaya do :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    OMG! Life sounds seriously challenging for you right now. :hair:

American medical practice in cutting edge in the area of emergency surgery or anything involving surgery, transplants, technology. The American system completely abandons people with chronic illness; so much suffering I've seen (and experienced) just because the doctors don't get trained to analyze root causes of illness, and apply what in some cases are simple remedies, and the laboratories aren't able to detect subtle problems. (I have a friend who had to send her blood sample to Nigeria in order to get a diagnosis! Our labs weren't able to detect the 6 different kinds of parasites in her system!) The World Health Organization rates the US far behind Western Europe in the quality of care: just behind Costa Rica, and ahead of Slovenia! And yes, the insurance system is a problem (such a high percentage of the population is not covered by insurance, because their employers don't have an insurance plan, and individual insurance isn't affordable for many), and it's going to get worse, if the new legislation passed by Congress last year takes effect in 2014.

ok, I guess all this has been off-topic.
    I hope you feel better soon.
  • You can add exams into the mix :P But thanks, I'm fine - really. I'm the kind of person who has never had a flu or a throat infection, so I guess it's right about time I got sick :)

Maybe it's off topic, but it's still informative. I like to hear about how people from around the world live, and how they think about where I live. It's so important to get an outside view :) I've been active on different forums for many years now, and I really enjoy hearing about life on different continents..
  • Who's to say tree consciousness isn't more advanced? Because they have no ego, they might have a lot less suffering than we do.
  • I would say with certainty that no plant is sentient. They have no brain.
  • if a tree falls in the woods, and no one hears it, does it feel pain?
  • if a tree falls in the woods, and no one hears it, does it feel pain?

I don't think this question makes any sense.

How does pain relate to whether a person is there to "hear" it or not?

And I don't think a tree has the ability to "feel" like we do, purely based on it's biological make-up.
  • Who's to say tree consciousness isn't more advanced? Because they have no ego, they might have a lot less suffering than we do.
    unless that tree is craving to move around - and it can't! :-)

• then i guess you cant recognize a joke when you see one, my sense of humour is australian, very dry, sarcastic etc, i hope thats not a problem???
  • then i guess you cant recognize a joke when you see one, my sense of humour is australian, very dry, sarcastic etc, i hope thats not a problem???
    perhaps i didn't get the joke because i didn't see in what context you were posting it!

• in the context of a discussion about trees having or not having feelings or consciousness, explaining everything kind a takes the fun out of joking though, i tried to crack a joke about krishna having blue blood and no one got it either, oh well......
  • edited February 2011
    I don't think a tree contemplates the meaning of life or that it feels pain or has wishes of aspiration. I think that's a relatively new development of consciousness and that this organiztion of consciousness we find ourselves in a shuman beings is still evolving. That's why I think we humans have so many problems and have to meditate. Peace doesn't come to us as easily as it does an atomic structure or a blade of grass. Its a very new work in progress, and its unstable for that very fact.

I'm of the mind that consciousness is layered, from the functions and laws governing atoms and molecules, to cells, to mamillian and human intelligence. The entire universe has consciousness built into it, and were one of many manifestations of it, just like how the different subatomic wave-particles are many manifestations of matter. I think a tree is conscious in the sense that there's a basic awareness there, at least in the complexities and functions of the cellular structures. As I said, though, I'm under no impression that a tree contemplates philosophy. I think it exists in some state of being though, completely outside of our understanding of our own forms of consciousness that are all wrapped up in human ego. I don't think there's nothing there; I think there's something. Its kind of hard to explain. I could go into more detail about the relationship between mind and matter, but I don't want to take up the whole page.
  • I would say with certainty that no plant is sentient. They have no brain.
    the brain is more a receptor than a generator of mind.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The question of sentience itself depends on proving Feeling and Perception...

Sentience by definition means the ability to "feel" or "perceive". Feeling and Perception are qualities or factors of Mind (among the Mind aggregates). If we come to the conclusion that plants have at least one of these two Mind-aggregates, then the question may be more easily answered.

So do they? How can we find out?

• The question of sentience itself depends on proving Feeling and Perception...

Sentience by definition means the ability to "feel" or "perceive". Feeling and Perception are qualities or factors of Mind (among the Mind aggregates). If we come to the conclusion that plants have at least one of these two Mind-aggregates, then the question may be more easily answered.

So do they? How can we find out?

We know that much of our neural activity has a strong association to electro-magnetism. as evidenced to how strong magnets can cause hallucinations. If plants have similar electron activity to what goes on in our brains, even at a rudimentary level, I think that would be a strong indicator for some sort of sentience. I, myself, think electrons their selves and the nuclei they orbit are the building blocks of awareness and have conscious properties built into them. I think perception is just a dimension of reality and that its organized, in our minds, to mirror three dimensional space. I think the basic perceptions we feel, like blue , red green, dissonance, consonance, etc are all hard wired properties of atoms and the space-time they occupy and that when they're built up in the right way, you get a really complex tapestry of these atoms when matter is ordered into a structure as collaborative as the brain. The brain's been shown to be a network where a large body of molecules communicate with one another through neurotransmitters and nerve impulses made up of electricity, and their language is built around perception. I can only imagine that the chemicals in any complex biological system that involves a high level of communication among many parts and organelles, whether its a uni-cellular organism or a human brain (a large, connected network of cells), involves some sort of awareness or feeling.
  • Nidish, would you argue that plants have thoughts?
    I dunno... well, can't every living thing think????????????????????

I am going to find that citation on right occupation that discourages "gardener"

• the plant thinks "i grow, therefore i am"