Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has the concept of Karma been corrupted?

edited January 2011 in Philosophy
I know that this subject has been discussed repeatedly on the forum and that many of you are pretty tired of it.
I've tried reading some of those threads and gave up. I guess I'm not well read enough to understand many of the positions cited by those who are. I'm more interested in how it affects real life than how it is stated in scriptures.

Some people in western culture have a concept of karma that seems to serve their purposes more than the spiritual concept of karma. I was wondering if it will eventually corrupt this principle and change the way people understand it.

I'll try to explain what I mean. I hear the phrase, "What goes around, comes around" gleefully sung as people gloat about someone's troubles. If enough people react this way, the less likely they are to uphold fairness and truth. People may be celebrating acts of cruelty, destruction, and deception because they dislike the recipient or support the antagonist. I think that we can see the effects of this worldwide in a deadly double standard. Karma seems to mean revenge to many people. An incorrect concept of karma can also desensitize people to suffering. There is a danger of people using an unskilled understanding of karma to punish people. They've already corrupted other religious principles, and I see karma as the next false justification to cause harm. I understand that people's ignorance does not actually alter the karmic force. I wonder if teaching it to some people causes more harm than good. The new age movement has spread a lot of misinterpretation. Bad teachers do also.

I see it as a further deterioration of civil society. I look back on the way that the older, less "enlightened" societies behaved and compare it with today's advanced one. We've come a long way in many respects but have declined just as much, maybe more, in others. I see the corruption of spiritual principle as a means to prevent enlightenment. Enlightenment is being replaced by hubris in too many people.

The ancient Greeks had a goddess named Nemesis, who seemed to personify a form of karma. She maintained equilibrium. The Greeks also had a strong view of hubris. It had serious consequences in Greek tragedy and law. It was addressed in real time- not put off to some future lifetime as in karma. This is the real problem I have with karma. It doesn't have a time effective response to actually teach people to change negative behavior. It leaves too much to interpretation and can therefore be corrupted.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• ManiMani Veteran
    Its interesting. I heard someone ask Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche a question about karma during a teaching he was doing, and he said that he felt there was such a broad misunderstanding of this subject. In fact he also said that he truly thought that it was easier to teach someone about emptiness than karma.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I wonder if teaching it to some people causes more harm than good. The new age movement has spread a lot of misinterpretation. Bad teachers do also.
    i agree with you. for a period of time, my friend was interested in buddhism and i tried my best to help him on his way. trouble is, he doesn't like to read, or meditate... and he was raised catholic and eventually decided he felt like he was going to hell. sigh. so long story short, what was the one thing he took away from all of our discussions? "karma's a bitch." no matter how many times i correct him, he loves to gloat. :banghead:

do i have any thoughts on the matter? sure, i agree with you. but what exactly do you propose instead? most things are susceptible to corruption. the media took scientific findings and turned it into "global warming" which is, of course, a slight misrepresentation... but does that mean the scientists should have kept their mouths shut?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Action and effect. Pretty much everything that happens is a result of action and effect theres no escaping it.
    Of course how selfish it is to scorn someone who suffers because they have the karma to suffer, This is certainly not the path.
  • edited January 2011
    Yes, the concept of karma has become popularized and thus, over-simplified and distorted. However, there's debate about it even among Buddhists, as you noticed when reviewing past threads. Some traditions teach that all one's life circumstances, including at birth, are the result of past karma. Other traditions teach that the workings of karma are complex and unfathomable, and one shouldn't try to understand it all (much less project onto other people). That's the nutshell summary I got from all those threads. I hope that helps.

Good for you for at least trying to research past threads. Most don't bother, and the thread topics become very repetitious as a result. And thanks for a good topic, for framing it in a way that doesn't duplicate past topics. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I find this comment, too, "What goes around, comes around"... and also, "I hope his karma bites him on his @SS!" or again, "His karma will pay him back, and I can't wait!" and "His karam certainly paid him back! serves him right!!"

As you might conclude, these comments are very common on another website I frequent, one particularly created to help people in relationships.
    Funnily enough, sometimes, when somebody posts a comment in the above vein, another poster will comment, "Uh-oh! You wait until Fede sees this! she knows about Karma, being Buddhist, and she'll put you right!!"

(I've lost count of the times I have done so!! :D)

I point out to them that perhaps they've forgotten they too have Karma - was their distress in this relationship and how it developed/ended - THEIR Karma, biting them on THEIR @ss...?

That makes them stop and think..... :rolleyes:

I explain that basically, Karma is Voluntary and wilful Action - be it mental, verbal or physical. (That is, Thought, Word and Deed) but that it is non-judgemental, not prejudicial or indiscriminate, and it certainly is not a 'payback' thing.

Karma is a process in motion.
    It is a pre-determined action on 'your' part which will always have a consequence, as any active process does.
    What that consequence is, or will be, may not immediately be apparent. It may not be evident or manifest immediately, and as such, speculation on what consequence or incident, event or happening, is a 'result'of which particular kammic process you enacted - is pointless and futile.

The secret is to make sure that the kamma you create, is all good.

Simple, really!

:crazy:
  • Here's what Lama Yeshe said:
    "Karma is not something complicated or philosophical. Karma means watching your body (deed), watching your mouth (words), and watching your mind (thoughts). Trying to keep these three doors as pure as possible is the practice of karma."
    A nice simple teaching, I think....
  • As one who was told here that it was due to past life karma that I couldn't find a lama to study with who didn't come on to me (a free pass for the Robed Ones--it's MY fault they're harrassing me!), I appreciate any corrective info that comes up in these karma discussions. It's an important topic, and important to get right.
  • edited January 2011
    Hi Dakini,

Don't take any notice of other people's speculations.

This is well worth reading because it is also about kamma

"Anatta and Rebirth" by Ajahn Buddhadasa

http://das-buddhistische-haus.de/pages/images/stories/dokumente-englisch/Ajahn-Buddhadasa/Ajahn_Buddhadasa--Anatta_and_Rebirth.pdf

D. :)
  • edited January 2011
    My point is that I don't see how religious concepts have helped society much as a whole. Some excessively religious periods were violent and corrupt. Religious concepts can help people on a personal basis but are abused when it comes to the masses.

The ancient Greeks went through a period of tyrannical rule and the Law of Hubris was one of Solon's reforms. Plutarch said something like: "the best managed of the cities [is] that city in which those who had not been wronged were no less ready to prosecute and punish the wrong-doers than those who had been wronged." I interpret this as society sticking up for the values that they want and standing with the victims. How many times do people remain silent and watch as someone is abused or humiliated by others? I'm not talking about armed thugs, but the exploiters and bullies of our society. Too many are afraid (because they know that too few will back them up) or are willing to blame the victim and karma is as good an excuse as any.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I feel that in order to protect all in society and to bring meaningful enlightenment, we need to replace vengeance as an accepted mode of punishment. People are using the term karma to reinforce a form of revenge. As time goes by, karma may become a synonym for revenge.

Aristotle defined hubris as shaming the victim, not because anything happened to you or might happen to you, but merely for your own gratification. Hubris is not the requital of past injuries—that's revenge. As for the pleasure in hubris, its cause is this: men think that by ill-treating others they make their own superiority the greater.

I'm making the observation that karma is the next principle that is being turned into an unskilled concept by western society. Maybe if we adapted the ancient Greeks' Law of Hubris, we would not have the societal and economic meltdown that we're in now. I read an article today where a woman was saying that the west is reaping the karma for exploiting the third world. I can't argue that the third world wasn't exploited shamelessly. I disagree with invoking karma. All of the nefarious activities are the work of groups of greedy people. They are now moving on to other areas because they CAN not because of karma. I'm just saying that things are the way they are because of mundane activity not because of a religious/spiritual concept.
  • Kayte, this is a great argument for the separation of Church and State, or Monastery and State. :)
  • edited January 2011
    Regarding kamma, Buddha said:

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...

"The precise working out of the results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

AN 4.77 Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html
  • I love these suttric quotes, thanks! :)
  • edited January 2011
    I think many conventional views of karma boil down to the Just-world fallacy.

Personally, I like to think of karma as the manifestation of perspective. For example, there is a RIVER.

Humans view the RIVER as being a continuance of water.

Devas view the RIVER as being a continuance of ghee.

Pretas view the RIVER as being a continuance of pus, or something disgusting.

The manifestation of the RIVER is thus dependent on the karma of the individual viewing the RIVER.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :confused: :wtf:

Oooookay..... :om:
  • edited January 2011
    Everyone is looking at the same reality, but depending upon the device doing the measuring (even depending on the very person doing the measuring) the reality is "determined" thus.

IOW, everyone sees the same reality but their view of it is skewed by their karma. Its nature is determined by the nature of the mind of the being observing it.
    Not so. This is pure speculation. You do not know what a person's view has been skewered by. Speculation on the process of Kamma is unconjecturable.

Besides, Kamma is VOLITIONAL ACTION, so it cannot skew anything.
    You mean Vipaka, which is the result, effect or consequence.
  • I absolutely agree that the concept of karma has been twisted in popular culture. I've never watched it, but I was told that the TV show "My Name is Earl" uses this misunderstood meaning of karma as a major plot point in the show.

"The series stars Jason Lee, Ethan Suplee, Jaime Pressly, Eddie Steeples and Nadine Velazquez. Earl J. Hickey (Lee) is a petty criminal whose winning $100,000 lottery ticket is lost when he is hit by a car. Lying in a hospital bed, under the influence of morphine, he develops a belief in the concept of karmic retribution when he hears about karma during an episode of Last Call with Carson Daly. To turn his life around, he makes a list of every bad thing he's ever done in an attempt to correct them, as he believes that this is the only way he can gain positive karma. After doing his first good deed, he finds the $100,000 lottery ticket he had previously lost. He sees this as a sign of karma rewarding him and, with his newfound wealth, he begins doing good deeds according to his list."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_name_is_earl
  • edited January 2011
    Not so. This is pure speculation. You do not know what a person's view has been skewered by. Speculation on the process of Kamma is unconjecturable.

Besides, Kamma is VOLITIONAL ACTION, so it cannot skew anything.
    You mean Vipaka, which is the result, effect or consequence.
    You can arbitrate a distinction between a cause and an effect but that does nothing by divide a continuum that is actually undivided.

What I refer to: These various ways of seeing are based on the Vijñânavâda teaching known as "the four views of water": gods see water as jewels; humans see it as water; hungry ghosts, as blood; and fish, as a dwelling. (note)

As for the speculation, that criticism affects your argument as much as it does mine. (In fact, it's a "cop out" and reliance upon textual authority rather than reason.) The fact that you are a human is a result (vipaka) of your karma. The fact that you are a human affects the way you currently view Reality (I.e. a human feels pain because of their nervous system, can imagine things, can only see a narrow spectrum of light, etc.) If you were other than a human, e.g. a deva, then you would not feel physical pain. If you were a preta, food would not suffice for you as it would for a human. This is all a result (vipaka) of karma.
    I know nothing of these teachings. I've looked it up though and it's not something I'm personally drawn to exploring. I have more than enough on my plate trying to understand the teachings I'm currently reading in Theravada, without spreading myself thin and trying to take in Yogacara stuff. Thanks, anyway. :)

"As for the speculation, that criticism affects your argument as much as it does mine. (In fact, it's a "cop out" and reliance upon textual authority rather than reason.)"

No, I reason that the workings of Kamma are not to be conjectured about. It's liable to drive people nutty. Having seen many threads trying to discuss the workings of kamma tie themselves up in knots and go round and round in circles, I'm inclined to agree. Experience tells me that the textual Authority has reason.
  • edited January 2011
    What you are drawn to is determined by your karma.

And, no, you have not invoked reason. You have repeated, like a parrot, the sutta of the unconjecturables. You have "reasoned" that one sutta out of hundreds is correct in saying karma is unfathomable, the whole while ignoring all the sutras that describe (in detail, I might add) the specific workings of karma.

If the details of karma can not be fathomed how do you account for the Buddha describing the results of the 5 (the number does not matter) acts: drawing the blood of a tathagata, etc.?
  • edited January 2011
    "gods see water as jewels.....hungry ghosts, as blood;"

Can you quote a Pali Canon sutta where the Buddha said that, please?

"If you were other than a human, e.g. a deva, then you would not feel physical pain"

Source ?

• edited January 2011

Can you quote a Pali Canon sutta where the Buddha said that, please?

Textual fundamentalism? Do you think that Buddha was the last enlightened being? Did the Buddha write in Pali?

I gave a source.
    "If you were other than a human, e.g. a deva, then you would not feel physical pain"

Source ?

Can you explain how a being in the formless realm could possibly feel the pain of a being with a (formed) nervous system? I doubt it.
  • edited January 2011
    I'm Theravadin, upalabhava, and I don't recognise Mahayana sutras or their repetition as the authentic words of the Buddha - and therefore they are irrelevant to me, sorry.

As far as I'm concerned, "Buddhism" is about the teachings of the Buddha - and if that makes me a fundamentalist in your eyes, ok !

Oh and I was an offline Vajrayana practitioner for many years - so I'm not speaking about something I know nothing about.

:)
  • Here's what Lama Yeshe said:
    "Karma is not something complicated or philosophical. Karma means watching your body (deed), watching your mouth (words), and watching your mind (thoughts). Trying to keep these three doors as pure as possible is the practice of karma."
    Lama Yeshe also said that if in a past life you "made mistakes, abandoned the virtuous friend....this is the reason for not finding a suitable guru in this life" (as I recall from a previous thread). And he was wrong. I haven't been able to find a suitable guru because so many gurus are unsuitable, non-virtuous.
    What you are drawn to is determined by your karma.

And, no, you have not invoked reason. You have repeated, like a parrot, the sutta of the unconjecturables. You have "reasoned" that one sutta out of hundreds is correct in saying karma is unfathomable, the whole while ignoring all the sutras that describe (in detail, I might add) the specific workings of karma.

If the details of karma can not be fathomed how do you account for the Buddha describing the results of the 5 (the number does not matter) acts: drawing the blood of a tathagata, etc.?
    ok, whatever floats your boat.
    It just don't float mine. :)

• edited January 2011
    I'm a Theravadin, I don't recognise Mahayana sutras as the words of the Buddha and therefore they are irrelevant to me, sorry.

Thanks for your nothing, then? What did you expect...like I said, TEXTUAL FUNDAMENTALISM.

Do you think it is possible that someone (anyone!) has reached enlightenment since the Buddha?

Do you think that they (unlike the Buddha I might add) wrote down their thoughts on a matter?

If you don't think that someone could have been enlightened after the Buddha (and thus written their thoughts down, unlike the Buddha, who couldn't apparently write,) why do you think so?

Why do you even practice Buddhism if you think that later writings do not reflect the Truth?

If and when you are enlightened, should we discard your writings?

<
    ok, whatever floats your boat.
    It just don't float mine. :)

Again, what kind of contribution to the discussion does this response add?

Besides relying completely on the sutta of the unconjecturable, how do you come to your understanding of karma and vipaka? I mean, you have obviously "conjectured" about it, as you have formed the words "karma" and "vipaka" and determined (in your own view, I might add) what their limits are.

Furthermore, you have not explained why it is that you choose to ignore all the suttas that describe karmic "retribution" in detail in favor of the unconjecturable sutta.
    Look - you follow what you follow, we follow what we follow. we happen to accept certain things and not others, and you happen to accept certain things and not others. It's fine, it really doesn't matter, don't let it bug you.,
  • To whom do you attribute the teachings you quote, then, Upala? I'm learning a lot on this site from these textual quotes. Isn't Vajrayana supposed to be based on Hinayana/Pali texts, among others, anyway?

This brings me to a question I've had for awhile, after reading conflicting quotes on karma and rebirth. If the texts contradict each other, then what?

Anyone?
  • edited January 2011
    Look - you follow what you follow, we follow what we follow. we happen to accept certain things and not others, and you happen to accept certain things and not others. It's fine, it really doesn't matter, don't let it bug you.,

No, I would appreciate any discussion on the matter. What I don't appreciate is relativistic DISMISSAL. Especially when it is apparently SOLELY based on one sutta in disregard of other suttas that describe in detail the results of certain actions.

When Buddha says that a fratricide will result in being born in a hell realm, would you say that it was unconjecturable?
    To whom do you attribute the teachings you quote, then, Upala?
    I linked to a quote regarding the RIVER. In my quoting of it.

But, mostly, it is drawn from logic. We can take as an assumption that karma affects certain results, e.g. being born a human is a result of previous karma. (This is uncontroversial IMO.)

Being born a human entails certain experiences: i.e. we all see a definite range of light as visible. We all are born from a womb (or the combination of egg and sperm), live for a time, and die. This is not so, necessarily, for other beings.

Devas are not born of a womb. Is that experience not a result of their karma, just as being a deva is a result of previous karma?
    edited January 2011

When Buddha says that a fratricide will result in being born in a hell realm, would you say that it was unconjecturable?
    I don't really care one way or the other, as I'm not about to test the theory.
    Thinking on it is a distraction to my practice.
    I focus on things that both uphold and support my practice.
    I've got more than enough practising being Mindful and Compassionate.
    That's enough work for anyone, in any lifetime.

• I don't see a link there. Oh well.

• edited January 2011
    "Isn't Vajrayana supposed to be based on Hinayana/Pali texts, among others, anyway?"

Some Mahayana texts are supposed to have been spoken by deities (e.g.the Heart Sutra is said to have been spoken by Avalokiteshvara ) and in the case of texts by Asanga..he was supposed to have been given them by a Buddha from the future -Maitreya - who was said to take him to the Tushita Heaven to give them to him.(e.g. the Mahayana Uttara Tantra Shastra)

• When Buddha says that a fratricide will result in being born in a hell realm, would you say that it was unconjecturable?
    I don't really care one way or the other, as I'm not about to test the theory.
    Thinking on it is a distraction to my practice.
    I focus on things that both uphold and support my practice.
    I've got more than enough practising being Mindful and Compassionate.
    That's enough work for anyone, in any lifetime.
    I think it's possible that both views are true; there are certain actions that incur a serious consequence (being born in a hell realm, for example), but that more generally speaking, we can't possible, and shouldn't try to, fathom or conjecture what circumstances of any individual's life are due to his/her past karma, which are possible due to his/her parents' or siblings' karma (to mention a couple of possible influences among many) and what might be due to other factors.

• Some Mahayana texts are supposed to have been spoken by deities (Heart Sutra) and in the case of texts by Asanga..he was supposed to have been given them by a Buddha from the future -Maitreya - who was said to take him to the Tushita Heaven to give him them..
    That's one thing I've never understood in Vajrayana; where did all those extra Buddhas come from? Buddha of the Future? Starting to sound somewhat theistic...

• edited January 2011
    I don't see a link there. Oh well.

This was the link, but it is a popular metaphor, not only found in Zen Buddhism:

What I refer to: These various ways of seeing are based on the Vijñânavâda teaching known as "the four views of water": gods see water as jewels; humans see it as water; hungry ghosts, as blood; and fish, as a dwelling. (note)

That's one thing I've never understood in Vajrayana; where did all those extra Buddhas come from? Buddha of the Future? Starting to sound somewhat theistic...

Why are you practicing Buddhism? It is to become a Buddha, no?

If you think that Buddhahood ended with Sakyamuni, then why do you practice?
  • I thought I was practicing to become a bodhisattva.

Is that who all those extra Buddhas are--people like us who became enlightened? It's never been explained to me, it's just been presented as something to take on faith. But always viewed Buddhism as faith-free, based on logic.
  • edited January 2011
    Bodhisattvas are on the path to Buddhahood. But you knew this.

A being (sattva) [tending toward] enlightenment.
  • Yes. I guess I didn't know I could aim that high (Buddhahood), and really, I don't want to get caught up in an image of how high I can go. I'd rather just do my best at this level to do all the right things to the extent possible. I'll let my actions speak for themselves when I get to the Bardo. ...or...something.... :o
  • edited January 2011

I think it's possible that [...] there are certain actions that incur a serious consequence (being born in a hell realm, for example), but that more generally speaking, we can't possible, and shouldn't try to, fathom or conjecture what circumstances of any individual's life are due to his/her past karma, which are possible due to his/her parents' or siblings' karma (to mention a couple of possible influences among many) and what might be due to other factors.

Since the others just dismiss me out of hand, I will ask you the question:

What is the basis for this belief that the intricate workings of karma are unconjecturable? If it is because of one sutta (the Unconjecturable), then I direct you to another sutta: the Kalama.

It is easy, no?, to say that our currently being Human is a result of our karma, no? (And notice, please, that I am not conjecturing as to the causes for out current predicament, like some seem to assume.) Now, since we can agree that it is in accord with scripture that our currently being Human is a result of past actions, why do you say that the result is inscrutable? Just because of the word "karma"?

Surely, they (the actions resulting in a Human birth) are inscrutable in fine detail, but in rough approximation our mode of being is quite obvious. Our previous actions, whatever they were, resulted in this being Human.

But I am not concerned with the previous action. As I have said, I am concerned with our view of Reality NOW. As Humans, we view the "River" as being "water". What if we were not human?

That is all.

That is karma.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Right, Upala. I'm just here, learning. I've never been to a Vajrayana center that taught the basic suttras, so I'm learning that here. And I repeat my earlier ruestion: what do we do when the suttras contradict themselves? If Hinayana/Pali texts are subsumed in Vajrayana, but there are later (or contemporaneous) texts that contradict the earlier texts, but they're all supposed to have equal weight (or are they?), then what do we do?
  • The contradiction is resolved in reason; direct perception or inference.

• edited January 2011
    but there are later (or contemporaneous) texts that contradict the earlier texts
    There are contradictions WITHIN the Pali also.

• edited January 2011
    They dont say that it is unconjecturable because all of the atoms in the physical body have their own histories, thus it is very very very difficult to follow the histories of all these atoms to their common point. (Your *mind* has ONE history, BTW.) No, they say it is unconjecturable because a sutta says so, or they think it does.

No, they claim it outright, not based on anything but one single contradictory sutta.

The reasons for your physical body being here are extremely hard to understand, as each "particle" has a specific history. But the mental element is not so hard: you CLUNG to something; therefore you were reborn thus!
    @Upalabhava, first of all, I didn't dismiss you out of hand.

I simply chose to not get involved in a discussion I really have no inclination to continue. I understand the points you make, but they come from a perspective of a Tradition I do not follow.
    And I am not sufficiently well-versed in Pali texts, scriptures and teachings to be able to give you an adequately and reasonably "well-matched" counter-discussion.
    I just know that what i have encountered, I've stripped to itty-bitty-little pieces, over some considerable period of time, before deciding they made perfect sense to me, or not.

So please don't presume to tell me what I have done, not have done, reasoned or not reasoned and repeated or not repeated.
    The conclusions I have come to, satisfy my own practice. And for my part, I'm fine with that. if you aren't, that's not my problem.

Secondly, it was 01.00. in the UK. Now I'm not entirely sure where you are, but
    I have to sleep sometime.... just as it's highly likely you happen to be asleep now.

OK?
  • edited January 2011
    Here's what Lama Yeshe said:
    Lama Yeshe also said that if in a past life you "made mistakes, abandoned the virtuous friend....this is the reason for not finding a suitable guru in this life" (as I recall from a previous thread). And he was wrong. I haven't been able to find a suitable guru because so many gurus are unsuitable, non-virtuous.
    I hope you are not suggesting that if a teacher (whatever tradition) was "wrong" on certain occasions, then we should reject everything he says.

BTW, I'm also following the Theravada tradition because I'm confident that it is the earliest available recorded discourses attributed to the Buddha and also because of its kinda "no frills" approach. This tradition suits me but I am mindful that it may not be the choice of other practitioners. Therefore, I don't go questioning the validity of the teachings of their traditions or the behaviour of their lamas or gurus. Just discuss what's before you, in this case, the quote of Lama Yeshe that I posted. :):):)
  • They dont say that it is unconjecturable because all of the atoms in the physical body have their own histories, thus it is very very very difficult to follow the histories of all these atoms to their common point. (Your *mind* has ONE history, BTW.) No, they say it is unconjecturable because a sutta says so, or they think it does.

No, they claim it outright, not based on anything but one single contradictory sutta.

The reasons for your physical body being here are extremely hard to understand, as each "particle" has a specific history. But the mental element is not so hard: you CLUNG to something; therefore you were reborn thus!
    It makes sense up to a point, Upala. But I've begun to question the idea that everything that happens, and all our circumstances at birth, is due to our past life karma. I don't think it's that simple. And too often this principle is used to blame the victim, and get the victim to docilely accept abuse or exploitation (slavery was Africans' karma), which is outrageous. So frankly, I'm struggling with this. And I'm grateful for the alternative views I've encountered on this site. Keep on keepin' on, y'all. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I've heard only good things about Lama Yeshe. My comment isn't about who gave the quoted teaching, only about the teaching itself, which, I imagine, is presented by many teachers.

What is before us is a discussion about the principle of karma being corrupted, or misused or misinterpreted, as well as broader philosophical questions. The Yeshe quote is a perfect example of how the principle of karma can be oversimplified and abused, or used, even, to hide or defend abuse. This is an extremely important issue. It's the only the OP's role to decide what postings are and are not to the point, and to redirect the discussion, if so warranted.

P.S. Sorry for the duplicate post above, folks--still having problems with the post function on the new format. :-/
  • edited January 2011
    Kayte, perhaps you could explain the Greeks' Law of Hubris, so we can better hone in on your point.

I think religion (or religious structures) all too often functions to hide abuse and silence protest rather than stand for the victims. Not to mention the wars that have taken place due to religious motives. Do you think there needs to be more activism in the religions, activism based on compassion for victims of any manner of injustice, whether societal or individual? The Catholic "Liberation Theology" has helped empower marginalized peoples in Latin America, but has done nothing to examine policies (opposition to birth control comes to mind) and abuses within the church. Are you speaking for perhaps a secular moral authority that would guide people to speak out when witnessing cruelty or injustice?
  • kayte, I fully agree with you. Though let it be noted, you're speaking from a Christianly socialized background often found in the West. Obviously Westerners who speak thus know little more than that Buddha was a god, a god of idol-worshippers. Therefore, don't let it mar your opinion of the collective, international Buddhist scene. But on to more pressing matters, in countries with a Dharmic background often found in the East I often wonder. My bestfriend grew up with two Chinese boys in his home, their father was a Chinese nationalist who abhored the West, he was a Buddhist and a terrible father who often left his two boys with my friends' parents for many months at a time to recommence his work of selling Chinese wives which was, more or less, a quasi-legal version of sex-slavery until the women acquired their citizenship and decent enough English. How could this be? I often have wondered, even long before I discovered this story, if a Buddhist who ought to have a sufficiently proper understanding of its tenets could fashion the core teachings into the very shape of his or her ego, much like many Christians will solicit God and his Jesus at bedpost until that God proselytizes the very slipshod scene of lip service sermons on compassion when they decide to be Christians each Sunday. We Westerns and Easterns probably aren't so different after all. The laity and novices give confident answers to timid questions while the masters, being a reflection of their short-comings, receive timid attention.

As for this dead dialectic above, maybe this will help:
    It is noteworthy that the Buddha never encouraged one authoritative 'fixed and firm' set of scriptures, as A.G.S. Kariyawasam noted:
    "Once a couple of bhikkhus suggested to the Buddha that his teaching be written down in a rigid language wherein even a dot cannot be altered as in Vedic Sanskrit. The Buddha categorically disapproved the suggestion stating that it would be an offence to do so and laid it down as a directive that each person or a group of persons should master his teaching in their own mother tongue (sakaya niruttiya)."
    "Do not believe a spiritual teaching just because: 

1. it is repeatedly recited, 

2. it is written in a scripture,

3. it was handed from guru to disciple, 

4. everyone around you believes it,

5. it has supernatural qualities, 

6. it fits my beliefs anyway, 

7. it sounds rational to me, 

8. it is taught by a respectable person, 

9. it was said to be the truth by the teacher,

10. one must defend it or fight for it.

However, only when it agrees with your experience and reason, and when it is conducive to the good and gain of oneself and all others, then one should accept the teachings, and live up to them."
    Or, as the Buddha taught:
    "My teaching is not a philosophy. It is the result of direct experience... 
My teaching is a means of practice, not something to hold onto or worship. 
My teaching is like a raft used to cross the river. 
Only a fool would carry the raft around after he had already reached the other shore of liberation."
    To his favourite disciple, Ananda, the Buddha once said (from: Old Path, White Clouds by Thich Nath Hanh):
    "If you were to follow the Dharma purely out of love for me or because you respect me, I would not accept you as disciple. 
But if you follow the Dharma because you have yourself experienced its truth, because you understand and act accordingly - only under these conditions have you the right to call yourself a disciple of the Exalted One."
  • Kayte, perhaps you could explain the Greeks' Law of Hubris, so we can better hone in on your point.
    Here's a link for an excellent article: The Law of Hubris:Greeks and Pride

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/242342/the_law_of_hubris_greeks_and_pride.html?cat=37